As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gears of War IP sold to Microsoft Studios: The End of an Era

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    1) No you fucking inbred douche I dont want COD I dont want TF2 I want gears.
    2) Indifferent
    3)No one plays beast after they unlock the savage theron unless they are grinding medals
    4)If neither is true I will be ok with it.
    5)Thats because they added a team deathmatch mode. Now instead of being dead weight in execution they go 2-10 in tdm . WONDERFUL
    6)CTL is ruined by it being way too campy I guess the change would be nice.
    7)Mindless blabber
    8)Indifferent
    If it seems like im mad I am.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Dude, quit hatin' on beast mode. :P

EDIT: Also Guardian was WAY more campy than CTL, given that it all you needed to do is DIE as the leader and your team is fucked, at which point THEY all start camping too.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    No. A million times no. Hammer and boom can kill the leader in a lot of the preferred camp spots where as ctl requires you to kill the whole team and then not get hit for 30 seconds.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    No. A million times no. Hammer and boom can kill the leader in a lot of the preferred camp spots where as ctl requires you to kill the whole team and then not get hit for 30 seconds.
    I'll defer to you then, since you've played a lot more Gears3 than I have.

Probably 90% of my xp in Gears2 came from guardian though :D

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I'll defer to you then, since you've played a lot more Gears3 than I have.

Probably 90% of my xp in Gears2 came from guardian though :D

Ctl with a premade involves them camping for the entire fucking match until the timer for capture reaches 2 seconds and then they send one and still camp with the other four , the most bullshit thing ever. I had a game going upwards of 30 fucking minutes and these kids were straight up garbage but since trenches is small they would spawn and run right back into the cave. I just left , I didn't even want to play anymore just completely ruined the game for me.

For some reason ive been playing CTL more and more but it needs help , help I don't expect it to get.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Apparently the new map is Jacinto. I am thoroughly unimpressed. Release day is march 27 or some such.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Okay, here's the skinny on Forces of Nature

-3 New maps: Artillery (Missle Silo), Aftermath (Area after a tsunami hits and ship gets tossed on a village area), and Cove (I dunnae remember)
    -2 Returning maps: Jacinto and Raven's Down. Apparently Cliffy still hates it but he got outvoted.
    -3 reskinned skins (Mechanic Baird LE, Commando Dom LE, Savage Grenedier Elite LE)
    -1 new skin (Savage Hunter)
    -New Easter Egg on the new maps in Horde: Elemental Cleavers. Cleavers with a special elemental effect (like electricity or fire). Achievement related to thse.

Honestly, the shit I saw about Transformers: Fall of Cybertron was more interesting. :D

I hope there's more because this is kinda weak to go out on. And I'm not talking about weapon skins, either. :P

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I wouldn't count on there being anything more then that. But hey I will take my maps and fuck the rest . Seriously is getting voice actors for new characters that hard that you can only do reskins? Feel bad for the Alex Brand fans never read the books or whatever but people always asked for her.

Edit- Only me and Scottsman play gears anymore !

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I will play when I get my DLC I'm so distracted by other stuff right now. My problem is not enough people on my friends list play GoW to induce me to play that game.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Shit, I only play a game a week to get my event progress. I just try and keep this thread up to date. Anywho, here's a better written description of the DLC, due out March 27th (Wow, that's a long ways away.)
    ATTN Gears fans, Gears of War 3's Executive Producer Rod Fergusson appeared on the latest edition of GT.TV to announced the final Gears of War 3 map pack entitled "Forces of Nature". As outlined on the show, each map is set either in the middle of, or amidst the aftermath of, a natural disaster in order to fit with the theme. The show featured footage of the 3 brand-new maps (Aftermath, Artillery, and Cove) and 2 remakes (Jacinto and Raven Down) that will be included in the DLC, which is coming on March 27, 2012, but we also reached out to the devs to get official descriptions right here on Side Mission which you can read below:

• AFTERMATH – Aftermath is a government park after a tsunami. There is seaweed and wreckage everywhere, and the main play space sits under a huge cargo ship which was deposited on top of a building during the storm. The area floods and quakes during gameplay, as the whole thing is teetering on the edge of falling into the water below. This has gameplay implications as it is difficult to aim during the quakes, and difficult to be stealthy while splashing through the water.

• ARTILLERY – Artillery starts out looking like an ordinary military base, but during gameplay a storm kicks up. Lightning begins to flash on the horizon and eventually a tornado develops and sweeps near the play space. Dust and debris are kicked up making it difficult to see, and the buffeting winds can mask your approach.

• COVE – Cove is a small port that the Stranded have taken over and turned into a little village. The map is very open with long lines of sight, but there is a really, really heavy layer of fog that masks just about everything. There’s a really nice sniper nest inside a central ship, but the sniper’s form is silhouetted by the low angle light shining through the fog.

• JACINTO – Jacinto was a beautiful city, but huge stalks have popped up through the buildings and flooded the entire area with imulsion. Half of the map is dead and crumbling, with imulsion fumes hanging in the air. To make matters worse, the drizzle that is present when a match begins quickly develops into a heavy rain storm that impedes visibility and lines of sight as water starts sheeting off the buildings.

• RAVEN DOWN – Raven Down is a very small crossroads that is blanketed in a blinding snow storm. A Raven helicopter has crashed in the storm, and crashed through an elevated train on its way down, so there’s train wreckage to deal with as well. The snowstorm ebbs occasionally, but is more often so heavy that it’s difficult to see more than a few meters ahead at any given time.

In addition to the maps, Fergusson revealed to GT.TV that the DLC will include a few Easter Eggs of sorts – four special weapons hidden in the maps called “Elemental Cleavers”. As an example of what you can expect, you'll be able to locate a “snow cleaver” that can gust an icy breeze at an enemy and stun them from a distance or an “emulsion cleaver” that explodes on impact and does a small amount of AOE burning damage to nearby enemies (in addition to the normal cleaver damage). Also, there are Achievements tied to these weapons for anyone that can find these cleavers and get 25 kills with them in Horde or Beast mode.

Lastly, Epic let us know that those of you who purchase this DLC will get 4 new character models (pictured above – including the never-before-seen "Savage Hunter" on the far right) and 5 new weapon skins for immediate use, and 2 additional weapon skins (that were designed based on community feedback) that can only be unlocked through gameplay in the 'Forces of Nature' DLC which, again, is scheduled to land on Xbox Live in late March.

Also, it was described by the host as the "final" DLC, but that didn't come from Rod, so it may be wrong. (I expect at least one more "booster" pack at some point.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Kind of disappointing because I like Beast mode and I was really hoping for more in that part of the game.

The maps work in all the modes, but I'm not a big fan of vs in this game.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Rod is wrong a lot of the time as well. Also no no more beast / horde content ! Too many people lose one game in versus then never play it again and just kill bots , force them to play versus! They will become strong and hateful to humanity... but mostly strong!

edit- and while you are at it play something other the TDM goddammit .

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Meh, if this last pack was good I was probably going to buy the season pass.

In this case I'll probably just pick up Raam's Shadow sometime.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Well, you'll still get 15 new maps for Beast and Horde for an additional $15, plus 10 multiplayer skins, several new weapon skins, the re-up system, the new Horde stuff and 750 achievement points. But if you're not into multiplayer or horde, I can see how that wouldn't be worth it to you.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    The maps sound fun, and I like changes over time, like Overpass's sinking, the occasional sandstorm in Trenches, hell even the silverback is fun if a game lasts that long on Rustlung.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    15 maps for horde? Hmm, that's pretty sweet.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DeMoN wrote:
    15 maps for horde? Hmm, that's pretty sweet.
    Sorry, make that 13. I forgot the booster pack maps were usable in every mode.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Holy shit. They're bringing Guardian back.
    http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/interviews/a366148/gears-of-war-3-forces-of-nature-interview-epic-on-the-final-map-pack.html
    "And we're adding Guardian from Gears 2, something the community has really been pushing for. It's a way of saying 'Hey, we hear you, and we want you to keep going. If this is something that excites you that much, why don't we put in the game?'"

Is Guardian the same as it was in Gears of War 2 or have you decided to tweak the rules a little bit?
    "We've tried to keep it as pure as we can. The thing is that we look at what the fans are asking for, they're asking for it because they like what they remember, and so the things that we've done in terms of weapon balance and in terms of ammo counts and power weapons, all that stuff will stay current in Gears of War 3.

"But the rule set is something that we've been very focused in keeping it based on Gears of War 2 rule set, so we didn't want to change it [and say] 'Here it is! But we've changed it', that kind of thing. We didn't want to do that, we want to deliver what they're looking for."

Also, they're noncommittal about whether or not there will be more DLC.
    This is the last DLC in the Season Pass. Does that mean this is the last Gears of War 3 DLC, or have you got more planned?
    "It's kind of a 'never say never' perspective. We've completed the obligation for those with the season pass, so it's really now all about community demand and those sorts of things and what people want. But I mean, it takes a lot of effort to create DLC, and in terms of internal resources and what we're focused on, that kind of stuff. It's really driven by player demand. If players are dying for it and they want it, then it's something that we can definitely look at."
    So basically "we'll see."

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Cliffy gives a "shout out" to PC Players because that's where all the ideas for dedicated servers came from
    wait, really? it wasn't the horribad P2P netcode they had for the first two games?

• Options
    I want them to give me more Beast DLC, but that's it. Actually I'd accept more campaign DLC as well. No more maps, though. I appreciate the thought, but those don't do much for me. Give me lambent in Beast and I'll be happy.

• Options
    Is guardian coming with the dlc ? Because they can add that playlist without having to wait

• Options
    Is guardian coming with the dlc ? Because they can add that playlist without having to wait

They'd need a title update at least to add the mechanics in.

• Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    We should get a band back together to attack those Beast achievements for Fenix Rising.

Also, speaking of Fenix Rising (and bands): http://www.rizeofthefenix.com

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I didn't think they would actually bring back Guardian, that's pretty cool. Wonder if they'll bring back Submission at some point.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    hottoqhottoq Registered User regular
    Yeah, pretty disappointed with this DLC, was really expecting some additional Beast content since they've already added new stuff for all the other modes in previous DLCs.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Remind me of what Guardian is again.

• Options
    Allforce wrote:

Each team has a leader. As long as the leader is alive, anyone who is killed will respawn. Once the leader of a team is killed, nobody can respawn, and the last team standing wins.

• Options
    Willeth wrote:
    Allforce wrote:

Each team has a leader. As long as the leader is alive, anyone who is killed will respawn. Once the leader of a team is killed, nobody can respawn, and the last team standing wins.

It's a gamemode I highly enjoy, so long as we're playing a game without the ability to glitch out of the map.

Reminds me of the time I played against a team SO SHITTY, they weren't able to even get close to kill me, but their leader glitched out the map, so it was basically a time out situation. I think I eventually decided I didn't want to go through another round and ran out to get killed. Got a shitton of XP for the match though. (So many dead morons)

• Options
    I'm a little disappointed that it's mostly just new maps. I was hoping for some new things for Beast or Horde. Hopefully the achievements will be fun.

• Options
    Yeah, it bugs me that we JUST got a big map pack, and now we're getting another one? Guardian returning is decent, but I like Horde, Beast and Campaign better and all we're getting specific to them is a couple of Easter Egg weapons?

Then again, we were getting 3-4 maps for $10 back in Gears2 era, so I guess getting 5 maps, a few character models and some weapon skins is a pretty good deal compared to then.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Don't they already have a mode like that tho? Where you're the leader? I remember it from the beta.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Allforce wrote:
    Don't they already have a mode like that tho? Where you're the leader? I remember it from the beta.

Capture the Leader, but it's a bit different because it has the old Submission mode smashed in there.

In Guardian, your objective is to destroy the other team, who keep respawning if their leader is alive, so killing him is a priority.

In Capture the Leader, your objective is to down the leader, pick him up and hold him for 30 seconds. If the enemy team tries to capture your leader at the same time, the countdown stops until one of the leader's is freed.

Guardian tends to move a bit faster since you just need to wax the enemy leader and not have to worry about defending the guy holding the enemy leader for 30 seconds.

And both those modes are different from Assassination, which is just two teams, no respawns, and whatever team kills the Enemy leader wins.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Allforce wrote:

Capture the Leader, but it's a bit different because it has the old Submission mode smashed in there.

In Guardian, your objective is to destroy the other team, who keep respawning if their leader is alive, so killing him is a priority.

In Capture the Leader, your objective is to down the leader, pick him up and hold him for 30 seconds. If the enemy team tries to capture your leader at the same time, the countdown stops until one of the leader's is freed.

Guardian tends to move a bit faster since you just need to wax the enemy leader and not have to worry about defending the guy holding the enemy leader for 30 seconds.

And both those modes are different from Assassination, which is just two teams, no respawns, and whatever team kills the Enemy leader wins.

No one played Assassination since it just ended up being execution anyway . Well I guess its CTL until guardian shows up next month , wonder why this is taking so much longer then the other dlcs . Now that I have had a chance to look at the announcement in a calm collected moment separated from my anger of last nights terrible games( and they were fucking terrible) , the dlc doesn't look so bad. The characters still suck and I wont use any and the skins are unimportant but 5 maps for mulitplayer is always welcome . And at least it isn't beast mode content , that would be such a waste. See guys , I can be positive!

• Options
    Important news alert! I just got a oscar mike with a boomshot. I repeat I got a headshot on a roadie running opponent with a boomshot. I feel AWESOME!

• Options
    See, Espanta? Life is great!

• Options
    I got an oscar mike last night while playing horde. Got it with a pistol on one of the last waves. Not really sure if that's impressive or not.

Also beat horde for the first time last night. It was a bunch of randoms, and I'm honestly shocked we made it all the way. One or two people dropped but in the end we still had 4 dudes. It also helped that I was host.

Oh yeah, does the Scorcher actually do any damage to Lambent Zerkers, or is that just a common misconception? I mean, it doesn't look like it's doing anything.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    IIRC, it'll make the Lambent Beserker pop open her chest more often.

So fire is apparently the Lambent equivalent of beads.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DeMoN wrote:
    I got an oscar mike last night while playing horde. Got it with a pistol on one of the last waves. Not really sure if that's impressive or not.

Also beat horde for the first time last night. It was a bunch of randoms, and I'm honestly shocked we made it all the way. One or two people dropped but in the end we still had 4 dudes. It also helped that I was host.

Oh yeah, does the Scorcher actually do any damage to Lambent Zerkers, or is that just a common misconception? I mean, it doesn't look like it's doing anything.

Well its very rare for me to get them with anything other then a Gnasher much less on a human player running around. Its one of those feel good moments , the other one being the one and only time I got a trick shot ribbon.

• Options
    IIRC, it'll make the Lambent Beserker pop open her chest more often.

So fire is apparently the Lambent equivalent of beads.

It's exactly like beads. It'll make her pop her chest every time.

Even on the regular Berserkers the Scorcher only increases their susceptibility to bullet damage, and doesn't do a huge amount of damage itself.

• Options
    NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    I know everyone is mad, but I didn't buy the season pass and all I care about are new maps for Mp. So I'm happy. Haven't been playing in a while but plan to change that.