As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New TV comedy series about Gamers... help the cause!

benmakesmoviesbenmakesmovies Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Helloooo Penny Arcade,

Like most gamers, I've been an avid fan of this site for quite awhile... and finally I've found an excuse to join the forums.

I have written and produced what is called a "spec pilot" for a television series about Gamers. This scripted comedy series isn't some crappy corporate attempt at making a connection with gamers; it's authentic (for better or worse).

You can check out information and trailers of the pilot at the show's website: http://www.putgamersontv.com/

I would love to hear what you think. Good, bad, really bad. If you like what you see, then help us get the word out there! The gaming community itself is what will make this show happen, and so as of right now it is in your hands.

benmakesmovies on

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm pretty sure this is the exact definition of site whoring...

And is this the same "sitcom" that was posted a while back, before the forums going down. I remember that one being an insult to the senses.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, no. This site was launched for the first time today.

If this is site whoring, then feel free to delete this post. I personally think that this is an extremely relevant bit of news that many people on this site will be interested in. If not, then flame away!

benmakesmovies on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hahahahaha I live in L.A. and I see idiots like you EVERY DAY.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Feedback! Feedback!

Good: Unlike most "Gaming comedies", it looks to focus on more than just "Lolz, we play video games. We arz gmerz!" that comes with a lot of shit. This pleases me.

Bad: The comedy is a tad...forced. Some of the jokes seem to rely too heavily on throwback references and poorly timed gags.

Overall: Gaming isn't really the best to focus comedy on. I mean, look how well that worked for most of G4tv's programing. Most "gamers" don't enjoy being pandered to in large doses (Quick joke here and there is fine. Making the subject an entire hook...not so much).

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I found the pilot trailer thing surprisingly not terrible. At least 10 times better than that other "sitcom" thing a while back that was unwatchable.

The acting can use a bit of work and the humor needs to be a bit snappier it places. When it came together, it was great. When it fell apart... it fell apart. I'm not so sure it would work at regular "show" pace with a real story but I haven't seen nearly enough to make an opinion on that yet.

Edit: Most painful part? The first 15 seconds, hands down. The CJ soul joke had a good setup and no payoff. Oh, man, he doesn't have a soul. Why not? South Park worked that very same joke from the race angle so I'd avoid it altogether, but I'm just saying. No soul = not funny unless there is some good, funny reason why.

Edit 2: Girl with rainbow scarf wins both "character I can still remember" and "best acting".

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Didn't we have a thread like this not too long ago? I seem to remember it being pretty terrible.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well, it's seemed to be shot a bit better than most attempts at this. Production values seemed decent too.

The characters though, even in that brief trailer though, already started to annoy me. I'm not sure if I would be willing to sit through the normal sitcom running time. Then again, if you're going for short skits, I could see it working.

But yeah, like someone mentioned, gaming humor is a pretty niche market you're aiming at.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Octopus MelodyOctopus Melody Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I watched the trailer and it looks a lot better than I was expecting. A different gaming sitcom thing was posted on here a while back and it was depressing. Yours looks great in comparison.

Good luck with it.

Octopus Melody on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Vegan wrote:

Yeah, I definitely don't live in LA... so thankfully there isn't any chance that I'm going to see you!

Gaming isn't really the best to focus comedy on. I mean, look how well that worked for most of G4tv's programing. Most "gamers" don't enjoy being pandered to in large doses (Quick joke here and there is fine. Making the subject an entire hook...not so much).

Thanks for the feedback. I have to say that I disagree with your thought that Gamers don't want something like this, but I guess that that is what the next few weeks will tell us!

Also for the record for everyone else: this is *not* a sitcom. Ewww. Laugh tracks break my heart.

benmakesmovies on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    That was not offensive to the eyes and ears, surprisingly.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    rchourchou Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have to admit, I did lol in some places.

Some of the actors though... cringeworthy. = /

Good luck to you, man.

rchou on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Thanks for the feedback. I have to say that I disagree with your thought that Gamers don't want something like this, but I guess that that is what the next few weeks will tell us!

Also for the record for everyone else: this is *not* a sitcom. Ewww. Laugh tracks break my heart.
    I think the point isn't that gamers won't watch, but that there's no audience outside gamers. If this is meant for a small corner of the Internet, it might last a while. If you're aiming for mass-market release, it's probably not really suited to that. Best of luck though!

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    I think the point isn't that gamers won't watch, but that there's no audience outside gamers. If this is meant for a small corner of the Internet, it might last a while. If you're aiming for mass-market release, it's probably not really suited to that. Best of luck though!

Ah okay, I get what you're saying. That is definitely a legitimate concern, and one that I'm sure we'll fight against. Although the trailers may not do the best job of conveying this, the show is designed to appeal to more than just an audience of hardcore Gamers. As douchey as this sounds, most of the non-gamers who we've "tested" the pilot with seemed to understand most of the jokes. Hopefully I'll be able to post the full pilot online in the near future.

At any rate, thanks again for the feedback!

benmakesmovies on
  • Options
    MengerSpongeMengerSponge Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I agree with most of the other people here. No offense, but I was honestly expecting it to be god-awful, but actually found it fairly amusing. The WOW and Goldeneye mixed with real world were both pretty well done, I thought. I could see this being a weekly podcast, or series of sketches; I really don't know if it would work as a half-hour show, but then I'm not a writer.

Post the first ep if/when you can, I'm sure that will give us a much better idea of the show than the trailer could. Anyway, good luck with this.

MengerSponge on
  • Options
    mr_sweetcandymr_sweetcandy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I really don't think there's a market for this. If you make alot of game-specific references, you limit your audience to just hardcore gamers. If you make the show too generalized, then you're every other comedy series out there.

I say this as someone who has played video games their whole life, collects them and has a tattoo of Luigi. I wouldn't watch a show about gamers.

Edit: On TV. As a youtube/podcast thing it could work.

mr_sweetcandy on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    not everything is about a market anymore. look at podcasts... free to everyone and shit, the forum community has one.

if it doesn't cost too much and the guy likes doing it and has it on his site, I'm sure if it's even half-decent he can build a following.

And if that's not enough (which it wouldn't be for me, not for long) you turn your fanbase and what you've learned about writing into something else.

worry about how good it is, not the market. that comes later.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    also I really liked it. I'd watch that.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    this thing actually made me laugh. But like everyone else...I don't think it'd work on TV. I mean, honestly even alot of people on HERE won't get alot of references. But good luck man, looks above decent!

edit: except NES games stopped being made in 95. not 89. In the alternate trailer...

xxhennersxx on
  • Options
    KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I actually liked that. Which is surprising since I am a huge asshole.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The trailer was awesome, the Golden Eye 64 part caught me completely off guard. But if i'd have to actually see an episode or two before I can judge it.

I also have to agree with everyone else that I don't think it would do to well on TV, there isn't an audience for it outside of gamers.

rayofash on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If there were episodes of this free to watch on the internets I would watch them.

bruin on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't want to watch gamer specific shows on tv. That only serves to encourage the idea that gamers are some how different from other people.

Evander on
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    I don't want to watch gamer specific shows on tv. That only serves to encourage the idea that gamers are some how different from other people.

Umm... We ARE different. We like to play video games.
    There's nothing wrong with making a show about a subgroup of people. It's been done many times, about many different groups.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

There's nothing wrong with making a show about a subgroup of people. It's been done many times, about many different groups.

And very rarely do they actually work on a wide, broadcast medium.

On the internet, it could work. Honestly though, a show like this wouldn't survive its first two weeks on the air.

And playing video games doesn't really make us too much different these days with gaming slowly spreading.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

And very rarely do they actually work on a wide, broadcast medium.

On the internet, it could work. Honestly though, a show like this wouldn't survive its first two weeks on the air.

And playing video games doesn't really make us too much different these days with gaming slowly spreading.

yes...spreading...spreading like the virus it is...

xxhennersxx on
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited February 2007
    Vegan wrote: »

Put me in your movie!

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This looks really good, I'd watch it. I agree with others that it might be difficult to get on broadcast TV, but online this could really take off. I also enjoy your use of lighting and attention to color. Shots are well composed, and production values on the whole seem really good. Well done! Best of luck in your endeavor.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Okay, fine, check my post below for some ideas instead of a typical industry worker response.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    rayofash on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hmm...well...erm...

Yeah. Its not bad, per se. The scarf girl and the collector kid seem to be the good parts of the show, maybe CJ as an extreme. The older brother? The Vampire LARPers? Too deep end. They are annoying, unrealistic, and just not really fun to watch. Not even to laugh at.

Try to keep it more real. Pure Pwnage had that angle going on, really well, until episode... 9 or so, I believe, when the whole gamer army thing started going. Before that, it was basically a story about a guy who just kicked ass at gaming, really hard, and didn't really understand reality very well, looking at it through gamers eyes.

All I'm saying is, don't go too extreme. Make gaming a focal point, but make the characters a little more subtle, where they could be seen as not being crazy gamers, if not in context. Right now, it feels like its trying too hard.

Each character should have their thing. The collector goes to great lengths to get nintendo games. Maybe someone never gets off of WoW(older brother possibly). Maybe scarf girl always talks crap about games, but secretly goes and plays counterstrike at one in the morning. But have these people do things that aren't game related. Otherwise, the show will get very trite, very quickly.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Look, this is a nice try, really, but you're going to need to do a lot better than only using practical light sources while recording audio off the built in mic from your handicam. Pulling a cast from your friends or even some random kids from the drama class isn't going to help either.

So get a guy with a lighting kit or even just a guy who knows how to use bounce, maybe find some film student with a DVX, look up a sound mixer with a wireless lav set and a mixer, then go get a handful of real actors and I might care. MIGHT. You're not just going to surf along on gamer good will you know.

Responses like this piss me off.

There is a fine line between give and take with projects like this. Obviously, yeah, he's producing entertainment that he hopes other people will see, but at the same time, he's doing it for free. With his own funds. Simply to entertain you. What right do you have to make such demands? There is such a thing as being a bad audience member, and such a pompous reply is a classic example.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Look, this is a nice try, really, but you're going to need to do a lot better than only using practical light sources while recording audio off the built in mic from your handicam. Pulling a cast from your friends or even some random kids from the drama class isn't going to help either.

So get a guy with a lighting kit or even just a guy who knows how to use bounce, maybe find some film student with a DVX, look up a sound mixer with a wireless lav set and a mixer, then go get a handful of real actors and I might care. MIGHT. You're not just going to surf along on gamer good will you know.

There is a fine line between give and take with projects like this. Obviously, yeah, he's producing entertainment that he hopes other people will see, but at the same time, he's doing it for free. With his own funds. Simply to entertain you. What right do you have to make such demands? There is such a thing as being a bad audience member, and such a pompous reply is a classic example.

Are we here to make him feel good, or to try to give him our honest opinions, so that he might have a chance making this into reality?

Raslin on

• Options
    LA:LA: United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    rayofash wrote: »

What the hell did I just watch?

LA: on
    I lurk. That's it.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Raslin wrote: »

Are we here to make him feel good, or to try to give him our honest opinions, so that he might have a chance making this into reality?

He asked for honest opinions, not asshole remarks. There is a difference between "you should use a boom mic and a better camera" and "Peon! Get a boom mic and a better camera and maybe, MAYBE I'll care. I probably won't, though."

I suggest you learn said difference.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    LA: wrote: »
    rayofash wrote: »

What the hell did I just watch?

It's the Okkusenman song.

http://okkusenman.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOgnlaVHR0I

The trailer used it.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

"Primer" got shot for $16,000 using good will and sample footage rolls from Kodak and Fuji. The award for best cinematography at Sundance went to a documentary that was shot on a camera that is affordable to any indie-filmmaker. The use of bounce, i.e. large flat blocks of styrofoam, can be used to shape and mould light in scenes that could use a touch up. A decent overhead boom and mic can be had and plugged into consumer level equipment for a mere $350, increasing audio quality DRAMATICALLY. Some acting guilds require that you do a certain level of unpaid work per year, so long as you fill all the paperwork out, and there's tons of talent out there willing to do it for free.

Simple and easy homebrew solutions to low-budget production exist, and I'm sorry if I sounded crass and uncaring, but I'm blunt sometimes.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

He asked for honest opinions, not asshole remarks. There is a difference between "you should use a boom mic and a better camera" and "Peon! Get a boom mic and a better camera and maybe, MAYBE I'll care. I probably won't, though."

I suggest you learn to read who write's what. My post wasn't like that, but still. Also, you're reply was "He's doing this for free, with his own funds, simply to entertain you". No, he isn't. He has a small budget. The trailers were made to appeal to network heads. He was letting the OP know how he felt, and what he thinks might change his mind.

Some people talk in an arrogant tone. Some people need to grow a thicker skin.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited February 2007

I suggest you learn to read who write's what. My post wasn't like that, but still. Also, you're reply was "He's doing this for free, with his own funds, simply to entertain you". No, he isn't. He has a small budget. The trailers were made to appeal to network heads. He was letting the OP know how he felt, and what he thinks might change his mind.

Some people talk in an arrogant tone. Some people need to grow a thicker skin.

Look, I remember when I was starting off too and I might've been a bit harsher than I needed to be. Let's leave it at that and move on?

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

"Primer" got shot for $16,000 using good will and sample footage rolls from Kodak and Fuji. The award for best cinematography at Sundance went to a documentary that was shot on a camera that is affordable to any indie-filmmaker. The use of bounce, i.e. large flat blocks of styrofoam, can be used to shape and mould light in scenes that could use a touch up. A decent overhead boom and mic can be had and plugged into consumer level equipment for a mere $350, increasing audio quality DRAMATICALLY. Some acting guilds require that you do a certain level of unpaid work per year, so long as you fill all the paperwork out, and there's tons of talent out there willing to do it for free.

There is a baseline to what I will and won't watch. Simple and easy homebrew solutions to low-budget production exist, and I'm sorry if I sounded crass and uncaring, but I'm blunt sometimes.

It's cool, I'm just venting steam because I've heard similar comments about projects that I've done in the past.

For a while, I was making HTPC software on another forum, and, while I got mainly positive reviews, I'd occasionally come up with shit like "Um you're retarded why the fuck don't you spend $XXXX and get so-and-so devkit so you can fucking make something that I would want to use?" sort of comments, which really gets under my skin.

But that really comes down to my design philosophy. When I make something, anything, I always create it with the idea that I'll create something that I love first, then release it to the public and watch them love it. So, in the end, my projects end up being for me first, and for the public second. Almost as though releasing my source code is an after thought.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Look, I'ma just post some stuff. Both the forums at DVXUser and DVinfo have a lot of important info you need to read. Check there for how-to's on cheap cinematography, audio, and editing solutions. They won't turn shit into chocolate, but they'll add sprinkles.

[Edit] And if you wanna see how good a $3500 camera can look, go here. It's a DVX-100a, and most shops will rent them out for peanuts.

Drunk_caterpillar on