Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

SOLID SAINTS: $17,069.92 is now with Child's Play! See you all next year.

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    ZapRat wrote: »
    So who is LewieP anyway?

some guy who has a mom that is great at painting

:rotate:

End on
    if we're too far behind / and really out of time / is there another world they plan to find?
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig~medium.jpgsteam~tinythumb.png
  • ZapRatZapRat Mage of Mind A town that has a name that appears in HomestuckRegistered User regular
    Is this him? forums.penny-arcade.com/profile/lewiep
    End wrote: »
    ZapRat wrote: »
    So who is LewieP anyway?

some guy who has a mom that is great at painting

:rotate:

CYDUJ.jpg
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    yup that's him

if we're too far behind / and really out of time / is there another world they plan to find?
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig~medium.jpgsteam~tinythumb.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    ***I feel like there needs to be some way of organizing a couple of months prior to the actual auction, so that people can group up and collaborate on auction items. For instance, I have an idea for an auction item that would require collaboration from at least 5 other people in other regions of the world, but would probably kick some serious ass during the auction. Or, similarly, it's possible the Steam games pack would have been even larger if we had known about it in time for the Christmas sale.
    With the amount of gifting that goes on in the Steam thread year-round, not mention during sales, we probably could have had 4 or 5 Steam Packs at least as big as that.

steam_sig.png
    In fact, hmmm, I wonder. Would it be possible to create Steam Accounts that are just named SolidSaints Gift Pile X, and just mass wishlist Steam. Then people can donate to it year round, and see what it has already. Then, if you don't do a pile split like this year, you can just hand over the entire account, or something. Though I imagine the Steam TOS doesn't like account transfers or dummy accounts.

steam_sig.png
  • BobCescaBobCesca Registered User regular
    Okay, now have deets. (Thanks Mully!)

Just to warn @Facetious it's going to be a couple of weeks before we can get started as I have this enormous, terrifying thesis thing that I'm in the process of finishing and submitting. However, I have, just for you, started to get together some interesting and exciting things to incorporate into your books!

• LexxyLexxy Registered User, Strip Search regular
    Yeah, I've got a lot impending deadlines myself, so the winners of my commissions will probably be receiving them towards the end of next month :>

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Okay, now have deets. (Thanks Mully!)

Just to warn @Facetious it's going to be a couple of weeks before we can get started as I have this enormous, terrifying thesis thing that I'm in the process of finishing and submitting. However, I have, just for you, started to get together some interesting and exciting things to incorporate into your books!

Haha that's no problem man, I'm actually kinda busy myself, I'm going on a weekend vacation in a few weeks and getting stuff ready for that (plus my eating contest thing for the auction and some other random life stuff).

But that's awesome, I can't wait to see what you've come up with. :D

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Registered User regular
    i need to stop looking at this thread when im sleep deprived, like i have been all week.

my immediate response to nearly all constructive feedback this week has been

"I WILL POP YOUR FUCKING EYE WITH A SOLDERING IRON"

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    What our colleague Nogs means to say is: "Your thoughts are valued by us and we'll be taking everything under consideration. And please consider wearing proper eye-wear while operating a soldering iron."

snap02869.jpg "zip, i dunno what it is about you, but there's something very cat-like about your face. i can't really place it. like, a puma or something. you'd make a good mountain lion."
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Refreshing the page until I get a good JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ avatar to go with that particular post.
    Spoiler:

• JoeUserJoeUser Registered User regular
    @Nogs What is the backend of the site using? Just curious from a tech point of view.

PSN: JoeUser80 Steam
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Nogs wrote: »
    i need to stop looking at this thread when im sleep deprived, like i have been all week.

my immediate response to nearly all constructive feedback this week has been

"WHAT IS THIS CHINESE NEW YEAR? GIVE ME PICTURES OF SPIDER-MAN"

Steam name: munkus_beaver
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    JoeUser wrote: »
    @Nogs What is the backend of the site using? Just curious from a tech point of view.

Wordpress and an auction plug in called WP Auctions.

snap02869.jpg "zip, i dunno what it is about you, but there's something very cat-like about your face. i can't really place it. like, a puma or something. you'd make a good mountain lion."
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »

Wordpress and an auction plug in called WP Auctions.

Oh! I thought it a custom thing, but this makes more sense.

"No time for love, Dr. Jones."

We had to get the site up and functional in a truncated time frame, which almost broke poor Nogs.

For next year we've had offers of support from our hosting company (free upgraded server space that should handle the load better) and potentially a billing/collection solution that isn't Paypal. I also have a few friends who do a lot of custom programing and we're talking about building an auction ap from the ground up that does exactly what we want instead of playing within the constraints of our current set up.

The feasibility and speed of the Wordpress site is also being evaluated.

I mean, everything got the job done this year, but we want to be able to get the job done better and easier next.

How did this all come about, anyway? The idea for an external site, encouraging bidding from outside the forums, etc.?

Fyndir wrote: »
    Refreshing the page until I get a good JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ avatar to go with that particular post.
    Spoiler:
    I got one in which his eye was popping out of his head. Does that count?

steam_sig.png
    The idea for an external site was something that Mully and I have been discussing since the first Solid Saints auction. We very quickly realized that if we wanted this to grow simply running it on the forums as we had previously done wasn't going to work anymore, for a few reasons.

Namely, this is a limited pool of bidders. Granted, most of the bids still come from this pool, but there is a critical mass here that we wanted to stretch beyond so as to achieve even greater results. The follow up to that thought is that if we wanted to start bringing in items from beyond the forums (to offer an even greater range of awesome things), we needed to allow people from outside this little world to bid as well. Not only did this seem fair, but I'm serious when I say that when it comes to Solid Saints, I'm always thinking of ways to part people from their money. I have no shame in that because of the charity aspect of things. I mean no offense to the people of these boards, but we tend to be a collection of more "have nots" than "haves", if you follow. Everyone here is capable of amazing things, but why deny someone from the outside who might be interested in laying down bank on an item?

The second part of that is that the forums no longer function like they did and stability was a HUGE concern. Searching and managing and all that for well over 100 items on a board that has the occasional blackout is a bit concerning. While I know the site wasn't the most stable thing we've ever seen, it offers a level of functionality and legitimacy that we couldn't have gotten from keeping it here.

The auction tool tracked all the winning bids, we were able to direct potential donators to a site that contained all the information that they are looking for, bidders didn't need to be on the boards, etc, etc... is it perfect? By no means, but it's substantially less work for more gain.

$20k is and was a lofty goal. We came within around $3k of it. That's huge. Next year? We're going beyond. We have the blessing from Child's Play to serve, hm, not as an alternative to their auction. We never want to step on those toes. In fact there was one item in particular this year that we cleared with them because we said "holy shit, this could make more there." They let us have it. Anyway, we have their blessing to serve as the alternative auction for those that can't make it to the fancy dinner for whatever reason. Whats's to say that in a few years this isn't pulling down $50k?

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote:

We had to get the site up and functional in a truncated time frame, which almost broke poor Nogs.

For next year we've had offers of support from our hosting company (free upgraded server space that should handle the load better) and potentially a billing/collection solution that isn't Paypal. I also have a few friends who do a lot of custom programing and we're talking about building an auction ap from the ground up that does exactly what we want instead of playing within the constraints of our current set up.

I mean, everything got the job done this year, but we want to be able to get the job done better and easier next.
    If you're in need of programming help or hosting or anything let me know, I am a dude that has these things to offer.

Fyndir wrote: »
    Spoiler:
    I got one in which his eye was popping out of his head. Does that count?

I thought it was funniest with the really cute little (puppety?) one.

• skettiosskettios Registered User regular
    BEAST! wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote:

If you're in need of programming help or hosting or anything let me know, I am a dude that has these things to offer.

saaaaame

skettios wrote:
    BEAST! wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote:

saaaaame

And me too!

AND MY AXE!

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I can refresh a page a lot to see if that causes a problem.

• EdcrabEdcrab Registered User
    I can offer... emotional support? I guess?

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I won your auction, Edcrab
    Mwahahaha

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    you already have my axe, security-wise.

easysig2.jpg
  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User
    Retaba wrote: »
    I won your auction, Edcrab
    Mwahahaha

You're evil laughing? When I got some generous sucker to upend his wallet for charity?

Your 20k words is just "HA!" copy-pasted 20k times, I'm afraid.

Oh wait now mully is holding some sort of sharp bladed contrivance. I didn't think this through

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Registered User regular
    see i know i just need to take a nap

because all i wanna do is go

BACK THE FUCK OFF! ITS MINE YOU FUCKERS

like some wild old crazed man protecting his shopping cart full of trinkets with a broken bottle glass.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    Nogs wrote: »
    see i know i just need to take a nap

because all i wanna do is go

BACK THE FUCK OFF! SPIDER-MAN'S MINE YOU FUCKERS

like some wild old crazed man protecting his shopping cart full of trinkets with a broken bottle glass.

also i have been totally overwhelmed (in a GOOD sense) by the outpouring of offers of help and support and all that

i don't know if that means you think we suck goat nards or if you are just super awesome helpful folks, but either way, thank you!

• skettiosskettios Registered User regular
    mully wrote:
    also i have been totally overwhelmed (in a GOOD sense) by the outpouring of offers of help and support and all that

i don't know if that means you think we suck goat nards or if you are just super awesome helpful folks, but either way, thank you!

just want to help :)
    you guys did a great job, want to make your lives easier while running it is all

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    skettios wrote:
    mully wrote:

just want to help :)
    you guys did a great job, want to make your lives easier while running it is all
    goat nards, personally

fletcher's highest bidder did not pay
    moving oooooooon

• M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    I just wanna say you guys who worked hard on this did an amazing job and thank you again for running it this year :D

so much love <3 <3 <3

• ToxTox I kill threads Pharezon's human garbage heapRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The Tube name change last year got me interested in this. As a have-not, I wish I could do more to be involved.

I think Solid Saints has sort of become the forums' way to support PA and its dealings. We know the forums are generally considered a net loss, fiscally, for G&T and the gang, and stuff like this is a great way for us to show our appreciation.

That Solid Saints is getting to a point where its outgrowing the forums is a good thing. Much like how PAX outgrew G&T and took on a life of its own.

I really hope this continues to grow. And next year I hope we set a great record of donations.

And if it comes up that there is anything I can do, then just like I'm sure everybody else feels, I'd be happy to do whatever I can to help make that happen.

Tox on
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    James Dean was the actor, Jimmy Dean was in the sausage business.

James Deen is both an actor AND in the sausage business.
    Secret Satans! Post | Gaming Wishlist | General Wishlist
    Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ToxTox I kill threads Pharezon's human garbage heapRegistered User regular
    Naturally I am already trying to figure out what talents friends and myself have, that can be used as potential donations. I know someone who does custom jewelry, and at least two people who paint.

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    James Dean was the actor, Jimmy Dean was in the sausage business.

James Deen is both an actor AND in the sausage business.
    Secret Satans! Post | Gaming Wishlist | General Wishlist
    Dilige, et quod vis fac
    @mully You got my payment for the dragon pendant successfully right? I got an email from PayPal saying it failed (because my PP is still tied to the first bank account I had which no longer exists), so it had to pull from my backup fund source. So it seems successful, except that when I tried to remove the secondary credit card that no longer exists it said I can't do that while a fund transfer is pending.

steam_sig.png
    Tox wrote:
    Naturally I am already trying to figure out what talents friends and myself have, that can be used as potential donations. I know someone who does custom jewelry, and at least two people who paint.

Yup, this is what I've been doing, too.
    Spoiler:

This discussion has been closed.