Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

SOLID SAINTS: $17,069.92 is now with Child's Play! See you all next year.

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    One interesting problem is that we don't want our auction items to exceed our auction bidders. The only way bid prices get driven up is if there's competition, and there's only competition of the demand exceeds the supply.

So basically we need to always make sure we're expanding our publicity faster than we're expanding our core, so to speak.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    I learned the lesson this year that I should only put up one auction and not several print bundles or shit like that

Like as soon as the auction started I realized how terrible an idea my auctions were

Next year, next year

• ceresceres Just your problem OooModerator mod
    I'm thinking that I might make cookies. I will hopefully get a lot better at it over the course of the year.

I've got my own life and I've got my own plans
    I hope you understand, and like the way that I am
    Dear Satan...
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Publicity is going to be a big part of this upcoming year's plan. We'll work on it, don't worry about it. I know you guys see us as a forum "thing", but we're not anymore, or at least, we're trying to pull away as being seen that way - we're just 3 folks that happen to be from the forums, supporting a charity that is also linked to the forums in a way. And, obviously, all of our favourite donators are forumers ;)

ANd we appreciate that you guys are already thinking to next years donations!

@Tofystedeth I have you marked as paid D: interesting that it says it failed.. ill check again though.

mully on
    also i'll be working on finishing up Saints stuff from RIGHT NOW until about 1:30PM (hour and a half) so if you have questions, feel free to user this thread. Or gtalk @ solidsaints.

also i got the skyrim jewelry and it is gorgeous

but she forgot to send me mine (the one i paid for before ever requesting a donation)

i am unsure whether or not i should ask

but i really want one
    i'm even wearing a skyrim shirt, it would go beautifully.

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    mully wrote: »
    I know you guys see us as a forum "thing", but we're not anymore, or at least, we're trying to pull away as being seen that way - we're just 3 folks that happen to be from the forums, supporting a charity that is also linked to the forums in a way. And, obviously, all of our favourite donators are forumers ;)

Eventually, once solid saints really becomes the official "Internet Charity Dinner" with its own link from the front page and everything we'll probably have to organize another charity auction for the forum

CD World Tour status:
    Spoiler:
    Smash: BlueBlue
    As of right now, EVERYONE should have the addresses of their respective bidders.

@Fletcher - your winning bidder requested until Friday to pay, and I've said "okie dokie" because he asked nicely.

@JoeUser I've resent the Skryim Pendant invoice, Guy who won the Space Marine, I've resent your invoice as well - to both of your email addresses

WHERE DID I PUT MY SOCKS

• NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Registered User regular
    i slept for 14 hours.

i am feeling much better and i welcome your feedback.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast Satan!
    Nogs wrote: »
    i slept for 14 hours.

i am feeling much better and i welcome your feedback.

lol'ing
    much better
    DON'T NOT SLEEP SO MUCH NOGS GEEZ
    glad you're feeling better!

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    So basically we need to always make sure we're expanding our publicity faster than we're expanding our core, so to speak.

Well, you always have the option of picking and choosing from the things people are offering up if you're worried about that, I know I wouldn't be terribly offended if you said that you thought you'd raise more money by having something else up instead of whatever I offer next year, and I doubt that anyone else would be offended either.

• ceresceres Just your problem OooModerator mod
    It's always good to have more donations to sell.

I've got my own life and I've got my own plans
    I hope you understand, and like the way that I am
    Dear Satan...
  • JoeUserJoeUser Registered User regular
    mully wrote:
    As of right now, EVERYONE should have the addresses of their respective bidders.

@Fletcher - your winning bidder requested until Friday to pay, and I've said "okie dokie" because he asked nicely.

@JoeUser I've resent the Skryim Pendant invoice, Guy who won the Space Marine, I've resent your invoice as well - to both of your email addresses

@mully The invoice is for Canadian dollars. Is that correct?

PSN: JoeUser80 Steam
    ceres wrote: »

If there are two auctions for jam, and only two bidders interested in jam, then you will get less money than if you had only one jam auction for which they must compete.

Basically it's the difference between two people bidding $20 each, and one person bidding $60.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    ceres wrote: »

If there are two auctions for jam, and only two bidders interested in jam, then you will get less money than if you had only one jam auction for which they must compete.

Basically it's the difference between two people bidding $20 each, and one person bidding $60.

Unless the guy with $60 bids that anyway since that's what they had set aside to spend toward the charity jam

CD World Tour status:
    Spoiler:
    Good point. But I feel like there's an important supply/demand principle at work here that I'm not economics-y enough to articulate.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    My budget for the SMB Bowl was $200. If there had been two of them it probably would have ended with Pyphor getting one for $250 or whatever, and me for $200. Only having one of them drove it up to $600, and making it top two then got ~$1000. So there's definitely a benefit to having more bidders than items, even if it's for charity.

steam_sig.png
  • zucchinizucchini pretty much amazing Registered User regular
    I wonder if you could implement a threshold, where say an item has X amount of bidders or goes over Y dollars, it breaks it off into multiple auctions.

• ToxTox I kill threads Registered User regular
    My personal curiosity is how big will SS become before forum-specific auction items (like the name change, Get-out-of-Jail, etc) become less than appropriate items, and what will happen as a result.

I bet it spawns another forum-based auction. Turtles all the way down, man.

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    James Dean was the actor, Jimmy Dean was in the sausage business.

James Deen is both an actor AND in the sausage business.
    Secret Satans! Post | Gaming Wishlist | General Wishlist
    Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Man I said that like right on this page!

Tox!!!!!!!!!
    !

CD World Tour status:
    Spoiler:
    But yeah hard to put cookies next to genetically engineered pet chocobo

CD World Tour status:
    Spoiler:
    Well it depends on how many chocobos there are, and their color and rating

Right now we still got way more cookies than chocobos

CD World Tour status:
    Spoiler:
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Tox wrote: »
    My personal curiosity is how big will SS become before forum-specific auction items (like the name change, Get-out-of-Jail, etc) become less than appropriate items, and what will happen as a result.

I bet it spawns another forum-based auction. Turtles all the way down, man.

This is a thought we have as well and something that, I gotta tell you, I'm not all that concerned about. There may come a time when we refine what the categories are so forum folks can track down specific things like the get out of jail free card, but really...those who want to bid on something...can bid on whatever they want.

I had a bunch of non-forum people following the auction and they commented that it's a specific niche audience, and it is. But if people from outside of here offer items, then they are going to talk about those items and people from the beyond are going to seek them out. It's a problem that pretty much fixes itself in a way.

Also...we do reserve the right to reject items. Criteria? The whim of Mully, Nogs and myself. Some things aren't appropriate. Others just aren't good enough, to be rather frank. We don't ever want to discourage entries, but a critical eye will be employed to make sure we maintain the quality and reputation of Solid Saints.

DrZiplock on
    snap02869.jpg "zip, i dunno what it is about you, but there's something very cat-like about your face. i can't really place it. like, a puma or something. you'd make a good mountain lion." Hail Satan!
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    What, so you didn't think my jar of toenail clippings was up to snuff?

steam_sig.png
    The jar wasn't shiny enough

• T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
  • ToxTox I kill threads Registered User regular
    I AM REBORN

ooh! ooooh!

@ThreeCubed

Hi!

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    James Dean was the actor, Jimmy Dean was in the sausage business.

James Deen is both an actor AND in the sausage business.
    Secret Satans! Post | Gaming Wishlist | General Wishlist
    Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    M.D. wrote: »
    no more poop name

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    mully wrote: »
    @Tofystedeth I have you marked as paid D: interesting that it says it failed.. ill check again though.

Yeah, it did say it pulled from my backup fund source, which is my credit card. It just also said it couldn't remove the other card while a transaction was pending. It said the same thing when I tried to remove that card after putting in the tip jar and that money came from money that was sitting in the account. So I think it is just PayPal being awful and not releasing some lock somewhere after everything has gone through.

steam_sig.png
    no more poop name

i copy pasted precisely what you sent me ... but now i'm realizing i never read it..
    it's supposed to be m.d., not mr. d?

• HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    How's the total counting coming Mully? :o

"Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
    Henroid wrote: »
    How's the total counting coming Mully? :o

I'm going to go through it today to see how many fees stupid PayPal took - that'll be a tad depressing.
    at least we're going to avoid the transfer fees.

edited February 2012
    i still need payment from @AnteCantelope on the spacemarine game methinks .. & a skyrim pendant

mully on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    Yea names fine mully i just went with my first/last name letters for simplicity

but mr. d was on there as a just incase kinda thing, ill bid on a new one if I dont like it in a year

thanks though <3 <3

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    no more poop name

Now you're Dr. Poop Name.

Steam name: munkus_beaver
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    no more poop name

Now you're Dr. Poop Name.

Mr. Defecation, M.D.

This discussion has been closed.