As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Things to do with jalapenos.

KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I've recently become semi-obsessed with jalapenos, and wanting to find new things to do with them.

What I've tried so far are:
Cream cheese jalapeno poppers
Cream cheese stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon
Nacho cheese jalapeno poppers
Deep fried jalapenos (just used flour)
Buffalo chicken stuffed jalapenos w/ cream cheese

Yes, there is somewhat of a cream cheese theme, but that tends to be pretty popular in jalapenos.

Mostly what I want is something that is going to have a good jalapeno flavor to it. Some new form of stuffed jalapeno is preferred, but I'm down for most things. Maybe something a bit healthier to balance out all the cream cheese that I've been using in them?

KurnDerak on

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    A guy at work used to use jalepenos in his pickles. He'd do like a medly of peppers, onions, cucumbers and stuff. It made the jalepenos mellow and the other stuff spicy. It was awesome. Especially since he could varry how long they had been pickled and how much spice you had in em.

Pick up some mushrooms on sale and stuff them with a mixture of goat cheese and jalepenos.

dispatch.o on
  • MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    you could pickle your own, its not that difficult (just skip the jarring process,, since you probably can eat them in a short period of time)

also these

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    Try making texas chili with a lot of jalapenos? Cubed chuck meat, an 8 oz can of tomato paste, some onion and garlic, and then a whole lot of jalapeno peppers would be pretty good.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I was gonna say chili, yeah. It's easy to make a lot at once, it keeps well, and people love it.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    On top of Pizza - goes nice with a chicken/peppers/tomato type deal.
    Spicy burgers. Either as a separate thing in the burger or mixed with the meat as a spice.
    Spicy dip for chips. Blend the jalapenos or maybe blend plus chop some finely and then mix with what you normally use for dressings (almost everything goes).

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    5 Jalapenos with seeds (minced as finely as you can)
    1 can of chipolte peppers in abdobo sauce (minced as finely as you can)
    1 cup of a mild vinegar
    2 table spoons minced cilantro or culantro
    a mason jar or bottle.

Boil mixture for about five minutes, place in bottle and cool. Voila, delicious hot sauce. Keeps for about 2 weeks.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Honestly, Jalapenos are awesome, just don't touch your dick after using them.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    2 fresh tomatoes, chopped into 1cm pieces (keep water and seeds)
    2-4 Jalapenos (depending on desired heat (keep seeds, chop same as above)
    1 Vidalia (Sweet Yellow) onion (chop same as above)
    1 yellow pepper (or orange, green, red as you prefer. I like Yellow for the color it adds, do not keep seeds, chop same as above).
    5 table spoons of fresh chopped cilantro
    1 heaping spoonful of minced garlic

Combine the above in a large bowl, adding table spoons of water until shiny as needed (the tomatoes should provide enough water to slight gloss all contents, if not add a very small amount as you stir until everything is slightly shiny from moisture)

One shiny, add 3-4 table spoons of chili powder, 1-2 table spoons cumin, 1-2 table spoons red pepper, toss until even.

Voila, delicious fresh salsa. Serve with chips, beer and friends (you will have enough for 4 people).

Last one, Jalapeno Wontons

Set oven to 400, acquire a cupcake pan, pam spray, and uncooked wontons (usually found in your Grocer's vegetable area by the tofu, look like tan squares of uncooked pasta).

In a sautee pan on medium heat, combine 4 minced jalapenos, 1/2 minced tomato, 1 minced yellow onion, 1 yellow pepper, 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef (or, for a sweeter&spicy version, ground maple sausage), and 1 packet of ranch dressing dip (the powdered kind, Hidden Valley for instance). Combine and mix until even and thoroughly cooked. Set aside to cool.

Spray down your cupcake pan well (there should be considerable moisture from the pam everywhere, this is important!) with the spray pam.

Place your wontons on the cupcake pan, pressing each into a bowl-like shape inside the cupcake areas. Repeat until pan is filled. Then spray all of the wontons on the sheet with the pam spray until glossy. Bake for 15 minutes, or until they start to brown. Remove from oven and the cupcake sheet. Repeat until you have between 30-40 wonton bowls made. They should have

On a cookie sheet, place your wontons, spray down with pam again, and fill with meat mixture to the brim of each. lightly top with shredded cheddar cheese, and bake again for 15 minutes or until mixture is bubbling. Let cool for five minutes and serve. This is a great Superbowl party dish and one I make each year.

• KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    Honestly, Jalapenos are awesome, just don't touch your dick after using them.

That was the day I also learned how completely awesome milk is for jalapeno heat. I'm horrible about washing my hands after dealing with jalapenos.

Thanks for all the recipes so far. I look forward to trying them out.

• TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I made a jalapeño mead.

I have found a single person who enjoys drinking it. While I may not enjoy it myself, I drink it with a grim resolve. I made my bed, I shall now lie in it.

If you ever feel the need to drink your peppers, let me know. It will certainly be a decision

TheOtherHorseman on
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Jalapeño Cheeseburgers with Bacon and Grilled Onions

Really really good burgers. But also fairly laborious.

I had wondered if some form of jalapeno alcohol would work.

And those jalapeno burgers sound completely awesome. I should have thought about how hungry making this thread would make me...

• MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    when you're ready to take the training wheels off, and try habaneros:
    1/2 white spanish onion
    2 cloves garlic,
    1/2 green bell pepper
    12 habaneros
    6 thai chilis
    1 1/2 tbsp salt, juice of 1 lime
    3/4 c vinegar
    1/2 tomato
    Saute onion, pepper, garlic and tomato in olive oil over medium heat to soften slowly without browning. Wait till very soft. When done, put in blender. Quarter habaneros (do not de-seed for extra heat) and chilis. Add these and the rest of the ingredients to blender and liquify. Chill in sterilized container.

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    The recipes you listed are largely appetizers. You can simply use jalapenos in normal recipes, too -- pop them into stews, dice up one and use it over a couple days for sauces or toppings, have a few bits in a sandwich, etc. If you really love jalapenos, you might like just taking a bunch and slicing them up and putting them in a tupperware, so they're easily available.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
    EggyToast wrote:
    The recipes you listed are largely appetizers. You can simply use jalapenos in normal recipes, too -- pop them into stews, dice up one and use it over a couple days for sauces or toppings, have a few bits in a sandwich, etc. If you really love jalapenos, you might like just taking a bunch and slicing them up and putting them in a tupperware, so they're easily available.

Very few non-appetizers feature jalapenos, or any kind of pepper, as the main event.
    But yeah, they can go in anything you want to add an acidic heat to pretty well. You just have to be careful what else is in because they can clash pretty disgustingly with other kinds of heat (like wasabi or horseradish, mustard seed, and certain curreys).

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Add diced jalapenos to your favourite cornbread recipe. Goes especially well with sweet cornbread.

• etdragonetdragon Registered User regular
    Maguano wrote:
    you could pickle your own, its not that difficult (just skip the jarring process,, since you probably can eat them in a short period of time)

also these
    I second pickling them. They are soooo good that way.

A guy I work with also makes some sort of spicy pepper jam which he cans and saves for the winter. I can ask him for the recipe if you have an interest.

sig.jpg
    I would be interested in that, etdragon.

Hmm, texas chili and jalapeno cornbread, I think there might be something there. And by something, I mean jalapenos.

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    KurnDerak wrote:
    I had wondered if some form of jalapeno alcohol would work.

And those jalapeno burgers sound completely awesome. I should have thought about how hungry making this thread would make me...

You can definitely infuse some liquor with jalapenos.

http://www.fashionablybombed.com/2011/08/diy-tuesday-jalapeno-infused-tequila.html

Vodka gin tequila are the most common.

Use to make a great bloody mary.

• etdragonetdragon Registered User regular
    KurnDerak wrote:
    I would be interested in that, etdragon.

Hmm, texas chili and jalapeno cornbread, I think there might be something there. And by something, I mean jalapenos.
    I'll try to remember to drop him an email Monday. It sounds delicious so I'm kind of wanting the recipe myself :)

sig.jpg
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    I made a jalapeño mead.

I have found a single person who enjoys drinking it. While I may not enjoy it myself, I drink it with a grim resolve. I made my bed, I shall now lie in it.

If you ever feel the need to drink your peppers, let me know. It will certainly be a decision

an old boss of mine made a batch of jalapeno lager one time. it was amazing.

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    This wing recipe's pretty good, if you end up making that pepper jelly;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2qqTYnXCbY

Assuming you like satay, of course. And chicken wings with novelty value.

Atheraal on
  • StrifeRaZoRStrifeRaZoR Registered User regular
    When I lived in Texas a year or so ago, my girlfriend's aunt sent us some jalapeno jam. I was extremely skeptical at first. "Spicy jam? Why in the world would I want that on my toast?". But Texans were weird to me back then. Who eats tacos for breakfast?! (I do...now haha.) But I finally gave in and tried some. Totally not spicy. Actually, it wasn't even super sweet. It just had a fantastic flavor that went well on toast or biscuits, much like any other jam, jelly, or preservative would. I'll try to get the recipe if you're interested, although I see you're aiming towards the spicy portion of the pepper, so I'm not sure if a semi-sweet jam would be up your alley.

StrifeRaZoR.png
    Strife, I think i had the same thought as you when I first heard of jalapeno jam/jelly. I would like the recipe.

• StrifeRaZoRStrifeRaZoR Registered User regular
    Found a recipe that's pretty much the exact same thing.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/jalapeno-jelly/Detail.aspx

Apparently, if you remove the seeds and ribs, you can make it sweet, not spicy. BUT! If you leave them in, it's actually a slightly spicy jelly...which for some reason people are going crazy for. I may have to try the spicy version..

StrifeRaZoR.png
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Cabot makes a really good jalapeno cheddar. Maybe you could try that if you're willing to wait a year or three.

There's also always practical jokes.

• Truck BossTruck Boss Registered User new member
    ABT's (Atomic Buffalo Turds)

cut off stem & slice 10 Jalapeno's lengthwise, depending on heat desired, scrape out as much seeds & veins as desired
    fill with a mixture of cream cheese, honey, dehydrated onion & cajun seasoning
    mash a lil' smoky sausage (beef) in the middle of each one
    wrap in bacon and put on the smoker or grill (low heat) for 1 1/2- 2 hrs
    yes...they will clog your arteries, but I bet you can't eat just one ! Heart Attack Snacks

This discussion has been closed.