As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oh hi it's that time of year again [2011 Taxes Thread]

ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morningAnd the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited January 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Welcome to this year's Taxes Thread!

Post here with questions, resources, problems, and solutions. That way we can keep it all in one place for those who may encounter the same. If you have a question about your state taxes, don't forget to include the state.

Resources list and FAQ to be included.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
ceres on

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Some interesting changes this year. If you have a business or do medical/moving or charitable services and are curious about the mileage deduction,

For January 1st, 2011 - June 30th, 2011
    51 cents per mile for business miles driven
    19 cents per mile driven for medical or moving purposes
    14 cents per mile driven in service of charitable organizations

For July 1st, 2011 to December 31st, 2011
    55.5 cents per mile for business miles driven
    23.5 cents per mile driven for medical or moving purposes
    14 cents per mile driven in service of charitable organizations
    Source: http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=240903,00.html

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Here's a guideline for dependency rules:

Qualifying Child
    Close Relative - Son, daughter, stepson, stepdaughter, borther, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of these, as well as a legal foster child.

Age Limit - Must be yougner than the tax payer and udner age 19 unless totally and permanently disabled. The age changes to 24 in the case of a full time student ( In this case, full time means a student who goes to college for at least part of five months during the taxable year. Night classes don't count!)

Residency and Filing Requirements - The kid must have the same principal place of residence of the taxpayer for more than 1/2 the year, and the kid can't claim file a joint return (unless it was just to get a refund)

Support test - You must provide over half the support for the jerk.

Qualifying Relative
    Support test - Over 50% of the support must be provided on behalf of the dependent in order to claim him or her. These must be actual expenses incurred, like keeping a residence, etc. There are special complicated rules for Multiple Support Agreements.

Under Exemption Amount of Gross Income - They must have gross income under $3700, but only income that is taxable. So low-level social security, tax-exempt interest from state munis and scholarships don't enter this test.

Filing Requirements - Same as qualifying child - dependent can't be filing married filing joint unless it's only done for the purpose of a refund.

Only Citizens of the US, or a resident of the US, Mexico, or Canada (this was added to prevent people from sending like $5000 to 15 kids in Africa and claiming them all as dependents)

Relative - Children, grandchildren, parents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews can be claimed as dependents. Hell, Even if your dad is living in a home, for most of the year, as logn as he doesn't make above $3700 and you provide over half his support, you can still claim him as a qualifying relative. Cousins, foster parents, and freeloading girlfriends/boyfriends must live with the individual for the whole year, as long as it's legal.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I guess I'll start out...This will be the first year ever that I've been in a "real job", and made enough where I actually have to file. I've filed using before using the 1040EZ to get refunds, but I'm totally lost on what to expect this year.

I was brought on as a contract employee at the end of January last year, in Massachusetts. A few months later, my company moved to Rhode Island, and I was hired full-time. I know I'll have to file for both states, but would my status as a contract employee change how I file for MA? I wasn't making as much as a contractor. Is my company going to give me two W2's, one for each state? Otherwise I'm not sure how to calculate exactly how much I made in one state vs. the other.

Anything in particular I should watch out for, or might be a hassle?

NightDragon on
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    Question about TurboTax. I owe money this year. TurboTax is giving a different amount owed number than what I get when I do it by hand. I'm sure I'm making the mistake but how trustworthy is that site? I've never used it before.

• Options
    xraydog wrote:
    Question about TurboTax. I owe money this year. TurboTax is giving a different amount owed number than what I get when I do it by hand. I'm sure I'm making the mistake but how trustworthy is that site? I've never used it before.

You might be phasing out of certain deductions that you're not incorporating into your hand calculations. TurboTax is pretty trustworthy.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I guess I'll start out...This will be the first year ever that I've been in a "real job", and made enough where I actually have to file. I've filed using before using the 1040EZ to get refunds, but I'm totally lost on what to expect this year.

I was brought on as a contract employee at the end of January last year, in Massachusetts. A few months later, my company moved to Rhode Island, and I was hired full-time. I know I'll have to file for both states, but would my status as a contract employee change how I file for MA? I wasn't making as much as a contractor. Is my company going to give me two W2's, one for each state? Otherwise I'm not sure how to calculate exactly how much I made in one state vs. the other.

Anything in particular I should watch out for, or might be a hassle?
    I'm pretty sure that as a contract employee you'd be getting a 1099 MISC for your work done in MA, which you'd have to pick up as self-employment income, and a W2 for when you were put on payroll for your work in Rhode Island. That should give you an idea of how much you made in one state vs. the other.

Here's the thing about multi-state returns. Typically, you're taxed on all income you made, even outside of the state. But if the income was already taxed by another jurisdiction, you may be able to claim a credit against the tax paid on income made out of state. For example, Let's say I'm a full time/part time resident of NY, but I did some work in NJ. I will be taxed on the full amount of income in NY, but will receive a credit for taxes paid outside of New York. But the rules are state-specific and can vary.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Ah, okay. Thank you!

• Options
    What do I file as?

SINGLE
    If you do not qualify for one of the other filings, then you gotta file single. Basically, the IRS uses the end of the year as a checkpoint. Single at the end of the year? File single. Legally separated? File single.

MARRIED FILING JOINT
    You gotta be married at the end of the year to file MFJ. If your spouse dies during the year, you can still file a joint return. However, if you are legally divorced during the year, you cannot file as MFJ.

MARRIED FILING SEPARATE
    Usually you don't want to file as this. It's a bad idea and you lose out on some credits and deductions, but tax planning aside, you can do this, but you must separately report your own income, exemptions, credits, and deductions. But it's a bad idea!!

SURVIVING SPOUSE
    The taxpayer can file as a surviving spouse for each of the two taxable years following the year of death of his or her spouse. In the event of remarriage, the widow(er) will be filing joint or separate with the new spouse. In order to file as a Surviving Spouse, the taxpayer must maintain a household for the whole taxable year for a son,stepson, daughter or stepdaughter and must be entitled to claim them as a dependent.

HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD
    This is usually a big one, because you get a bigger standard deduction and you get wider tax brackets. In order to file as HoH, the taxpayer must be unmarried, legally separated, or married and have lived apart from her or her spouse for the last 6 months of the year. Additionally, if you are a surviving spouse, you can't take HoH. You also must not be a nonresident alien. You must also maintain a home that for 1/2 the year is the residence of one or more children, which is a son, daughter, stepchildren, or legally adopted children or any combination of these.

For qualifying relatives, you can claim HoH for your dependent father or mother, even if they do not live with you. But other qualifying relatives, such as brothers, grandparents, sisters, aunts, uncles, nephews and nieces must live with you for 1/2 the year.

• Options
    EDUCATIONAL CREDITS

AMERICAN OPPORTUNITY CREDIT

The American Opportunity Credit is a modified version of the Hope Scholarship credit. It's pretty rad and it's available for any expenses made for qualified tuition, fees and course materials (including books) paid in the first four years of post-secondary (college) education. If you're in grad school or went to college for more than 4 years, then you'll want to see the Lifetime Learning Credit.

The maximum credit is $2,500 and part of it is refundable (if you owe no tax, it increases your refund). If the person is claimed as a dependent by a parent, expenses paid by both the kid and the parent are deemed to have been made by the parent (so they get the credit).

In order to claim the credit, the student must be at least half-time for one academic period during the year. Also, this is not available to students convicted of federal or state felony drug offense. At least, not in the year in which the expenses were paid.

LIFETIME LEARNING CREDIT
    So you're a felon. Or a grad student. Or you just really like college. Well, the Lifetime Learning Credit is available for an unlimited number of years for tuition and related expenses (EXCEPT BOOKS) at eligible educational institutions. The same rules apply with the American Opportunity Credit with regards to who gets the credit if the student is a dependent of a parent. The maximum credit is $2,000, but non refundable.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Can someone touch on claiming a personal vehicle for business purposes (to receive the operation deduction)?

Questions I have about it:
    What are the pros and cons for doing so?
    Is a personal vehicle eligible for business operation deduction if it's used as the sole mode of travel to and from work? Is there a minimum mileage that one must travel to qualify?
    Is said vehicle eligible if you are still paying off the car (and the bank has the title)?
    Are there any major rules that must be followed in the process of this type of claim?

• Options
    If you take the standard mileage rate for your vehicle, then you can't take the actual expenses incurred, like gas, insurance, or depreciation(or lease payments). But you can still deduct tolls and parking fees.

The pros of the standard mileage rate: You might end up being able to deduct more than you would if you used actual expenses.
    The cons of the standard mileage rate: You need to use it if you're leasing the car, and there's certain restrictions.

Commuting expenses are not deductible.

Here are some of the major rules.
    http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc510.html

But yeah, you can deduct using a personal car for business purposes. You just have to figure out what % you used it for business and what % you used for personal. Like, If I'm using my car for the month for about 50% business, and I have a $60 gas bill, I can only deduct $30 on my Schedule C.

If you're an employee of a business you do not own, GENERALLY if you're reimbursed in any way, you can't claim the expenses. If you are the exception, you'll be able to deduct them as an itemized deduction, subject to the 2% AGI threshold. If you're a business owner, though, you'll pick them up on Schedule C or Schedule C-Ez.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    So, uh, anybody have any experience living in Canada and being paid by a US company? I'm freelancing for US companies and have dual citizenship, but am living permanently in Canada. As far as I can tell, I have to file my income and be taxed by both countries, which kind of sucks. Anybody know any (legal, of course) ways to avoid being double-whomped?

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Thanks, @tyrannus

I guess that answers my question of whether I can claim my car at all!

(I can't :P)

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    is anyone familiar with whether there are deductions available for repaying student loans after finishing grad school?

pleaseguysiamsobroke

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I had to do a non medical withdrawal from my HSA for some "oh shit oh shit oh shit" purposes, I take it I'll have to claim that somewhere on my taxes and pay the extra that I owe for non qualified expenditures? I have no problem doing that.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    localh77localh77 Registered User regular
    is anyone familiar with whether there are deductions available for repaying student loans after finishing grad school?

pleaseguysiamsobroke

Yep, you can take a deduction (as an adjustment to income on 1040 line 33) for the interest you pay on student loans. See this link for details: http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc456.html.

Now you can only deduct the interest, and not the principal. But theoretically you could have deducted the expenses you paid in the years you got the loans.

• Options
    bowen wrote:
    I had to do a non medical withdrawal from my HSA for some "oh shit oh shit oh shit" purposes, I take it I'll have to claim that somewhere on my taxes and pay the extra that I owe for non qualified expenditures? I have no problem doing that.

Yep, and unfortunately the penalty was increased from 10% to 20% in 2011. You report it on Form 8889 (Part II).

• Options
    edited January 2012
    What kind of "oh shit" withdrawl, bowen? There are certain things you cab withdraw for an be exempt from the penalty, I'm pretty sure.

edit: just checked - nope, most of them are for IRA distributions, not HSA distributions. whooops

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Sort of uh "I had to get the fuck out of dodge" because my former apartment was shitty mcshiterton and trying to blame me for damages I wasn't causing. So I needed a mega deposit on my new apartment because of my former bankruptcy.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Health Savings Account too, not Spending, the one that rolls over year after year. I had assumed it was 40%, but even 20% is fine.

• Options
    bowen wrote:
    Health Savings Account too, not Spending, the one that rolls over year after year. I had assumed it was 40%, but even 20% is fine.

I guess I forgot to mention that the 20% is on top of regular income tax that you also have to pay on it. So if you're in the 15% bracket, it would be 35% total. They sure do make it a chore to take out and spend your own money, don't they?

• Options
    localh77 wrote:
    bowen wrote:

I guess I forgot to mention that the 20% is on top of regular income tax that you also have to pay on it. So if you're in the 15% bracket, it would be 35% total. They sure do make it a chore to take out and spend your own money, don't they?

I guess it's a deterrent, but I'd rather pay a 50% tax and have a roof over my head that's for sure.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Most of my income in 2011 came from contract work with international customers. I obviously didn't receive a 1099 from them, but I did get receipts/signed papers. What should I do to file that income?

• Options
    Turkey wrote:
    Most of my income in 2011 came from contract work with international customers. I obviously didn't receive a 1099 from them, but I did get receipts/signed papers. What should I do to file that income?

Yeah, even though companies are required to send 1099s, many don't. But that shouldn't matter to you. Just report what you made on Schedule C.

• Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Can I deduct medical and/or dental expenses?
    I have insurance, but I mean copays and things which aren't covered (mainly the dental stuff) by insurance.

I am worried about NOT doing the standard deduction. I don't wanna be auditeddddd

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Yep. Any out of pocket medical expenses and copays and crap you can deduct. But remember, they have to be in excess of 7.5% of your AGI for you to actually deduct them.

If your AGI is $15,000, your medical expenses have to be in excess of $1,125 for you to start deducting them.

take a look here at things you can deduct: http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc502.html

tyrannus on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Well my medical ones could qualify, but they're on my credit card.
    Does that count as me having paid for them and can deduct them?

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Can I deduct legal expenses? Can I deduct ones that were taken out of settlement (Chapter 13?).

• Options
    neville wrote:
    Well my medical ones could qualify, but they're on my credit card.
    Does that count as me having paid for them and can deduct them?

Yep, by charging it to a credit card you've become liable for the debt, so that counts as having paid it.

• Options
    bowen wrote:
    Can I deduct legal expenses? Can I deduct ones that were taken out of settlement (Chapter 13?).

Hmm, I'm not sure about legal expenses related to a bankruptcy specifically. My guess would be no, though. From the Schedule A instructions, you can only deduct legal expenses that you paid to produce or collect taxable income and manage or protect property held for earning income. ... But do not include any personal expenses.

• Options
    Ah I see, I think I asked this last year, but can't remember if I got an answer. Let's say I bought something in the middle of the year, and it was an auction for charity. The regular price of the object is like $50, I paid $300. I can deduct the $250 as a charitable donation right?

• Options
    bowen wrote:
    Ah I see, I think I asked this last year, but can't remember if I got an answer. Let's say I bought something in the middle of the year, and it was an auction for charity. The regular price of the object is like $50, I paid $300. I can deduct the $250 as a charitable donation right?

Yep, you can deduct the difference. Also keep in mind that for gifts of >=$250, you should have written documentation from the charity (which they usually give you without prompting anyway).

• Options
    localh77 wrote:
    bowen wrote:

Yep, you can deduct the difference. Also keep in mind that for gifts of >=$250, you should have written documentation from the charity (which they usually give you without prompting anyway).

I never got a receipt but I have proof I paid that for a charity auction on my bank records. Unless the company that hosted it is going to turn around and claim all that loot they gave away as their own charitable donation.

• Options
    bowen wrote:
    localh77 wrote:
    bowen wrote:

I never got a receipt but I have proof I paid that for a charity auction on my bank records. Unless the company that hosted it is going to turn around and claim all that loot they gave away as their own charitable donation.

Well, technically just a bank record isn't good enough when the donation gets big enough ($250, I think). But this is second nature to charities, they should be giving these out left and right (although you may need to ask). It's worth mentioning that nothing will prevent you from filing without that receipt, it's just something you'd want if you ever got audited. So I certainly wouldn't worry too much, and I'd personally still claim it even if I couldn't get proof from the charity.

• Options
    localh77 wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    localh77 wrote:
    bowen wrote:

Well, technically just a bank record isn't good enough when the donation gets big enough ($250, I think). But this is second nature to charities, they should be giving these out left and right (although you may need to ask). It's worth mentioning that nothing will prevent you from filing without that receipt, it's just something you'd want if you ever got audited. So I certainly wouldn't worry too much, and I'd personally still claim it even if I couldn't get proof from the charity.

Any tips? I don't recall the specific charity. I have the item and my bankroll and proof it was for charity pretty much.

• Options
    bowen wrote:
    localh77 wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    localh77 wrote:
    bowen wrote:

Any tips? I don't recall the specific charity. I have the item and my bankroll and proof it was for charity pretty much.

I think it pretty much comes down to personal preference. Any tax preparer should tell you that you technically should have a receipt to take the deduction (without knowing which charity it was, you have no way to know if they're even eligible to receive tax-deductible donations). But like I said, in your shoes I'd probably take it myself, so there's that.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Hey @localh77 thanks for the previous help. Made filling the rest of the tax info very easy.

I have another question. I finished and sent the tax stuff, but TurboTax got back to me saying that the IRS could not confirm my identity. I was told to get a new PIN number from either the IRS phone support or this link: https://sa2.www4.irs.gov/irfof-efp/start.do

The problem is that they ask for my filing status for 2010, but there's no "I was a dependent and I didn't file" option. Same with the phone support (doesn't even let you talk to someone).

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Two questions

1) I'm attending a university and got a tax form from the school for tuition paid. Thing is, those payments came out of my father's pocket, not mine. (I'm over 25, not a dependent). Do I put those in as a tuition deduction? Does my dad instead?

2) For the past bunch of years I've purchased and used Turbo Tax Deluxe, since it comes with the state taxes and has seemed appropriate for my needs. But I keep seeing more and more ads for getting free taxes done on Turbo Tax online or via other methods-- should I be taking a closer look at those? Are those just for people who can use the EZ form?

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    1) You can take it since you're not a dependent. Of course, the cost of tuition may exceed the amount that relatives can give as a gift without it being considered income. You'd have to check with a tax specialist on the details of that; I don't know the answer myself.

2) I've used Turbo Tax online for the past two years and it has been AWESOME. I file a standard 1040 since I occasionally have capital gains/losses to report. Turbo Tax online can do everything that the offline does (can the offline one look up your W2's for you?), so I'm honestly not sure why they still sell the offline version.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    Does Turbo Tax give you filled out forms so I can keep for records? Plus as an example to see how they did their calculations.