As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] Ain't Awake Yet

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    ALocksly wrote:
    Mornin' [chat]

@Carrot: How're thing going with the syndicate?
    My mother's incredibly busy, so she hasn't been able to edit the columns or cover letter yet. Once she has a few spare hours, we'll go over it, and then I'll print it out and mail it in.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote:
    japan wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Aldo wrote:
    I'm playing Mass Effect 1 for the first time. Fuck the controls. :( No way to zoom out, conversation options are not hotkeyed to 1-9 like in SWTOR and the controls of that dune buggy are just retarded.

is there a way to play this game without having to pay attention to the other party members? I find it annoying I have to keep pointing them towards cover, never mind telling them to use a special ability.

Just ignore them, it makes the game no easier to keep them alive. Don't do any side quests or explore random worlds, they're all super boring.

Huh, maybe the side quests are where I was going wrong.

I've found that squadmates do tend to go to cover, though not always, and they'll try to shoot through cover when enemies are on the other side. As for powers, make sure you have them set on active in the options rather than on defense only or disabled. And yeah, for your first time through, most of the sidequests aren't that fun, except Wrex's armor, the geth invasion, Helena Blake, and the moon.

b-b-but I couldn't recognize a single one of those sidequests without prior knowledge of the game? D:

*shrug* They're like sidequests in all games. Do them for XP and bits of story, skip them if you prefer. I always do them all.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    BobCesca wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    ronya wrote:
    71% of the UK is nominally Christian and there is a state church, yet the UK is undeniably substantially more secular than the US

I think he's trying to get at the notion that the US is more religious in some sense, but reported religious belief is a bad proxy for this

In Sweden you got an automatic membership in the church at birth up until the late 70s. Almost nobody bothered to formally leave it.

I think the Church of Scotland more or less assumes you're a member of the church whether you are Christian or not. This is why so many people get married and have funerals in CoS places even though they're not congregation members.

The CoS doesn't care about anybody, particularly. They are concerned for the welfare of your soul, though.

So the Kirk will still bury you and perform a service even if you haven't set foot in a Church in your life. Your opinion on this is irrelevant because you aren't equipped to understand these things. Not in a sinister way, like with the Mormons. More in an exasperated "why am I the only one that ever cleans up around here" kind of way.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Mim wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:
    Mim doesn't care about truck drivers.

Well, I feel bad for him

But the other car has kids in them, so my mind jumped to that immediately.

The mom and kids did. The truck driver didn't make it.

pb-120113-highway101-accident-02-345p.380;380;7;70.jpg

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Do you guys have church taxes over there?

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Hmm I ran out of my multi vitamins a few days back and been lazy about getting more. This morning I got out of be and felt drunk as hell with the balance to match.

I guess I should get some more multivitamins then!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    ...Did I take my meds today?

• Options
    Also if poldy hates Lana del Rey I may have to take another look at her stuff and buy an album or whatever.

Unless that's been his plan all along.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    japan wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    japan wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Aldo wrote:
    I'm playing Mass Effect 1 for the first time. Fuck the controls. :( No way to zoom out, conversation options are not hotkeyed to 1-9 like in SWTOR and the controls of that dune buggy are just retarded.

is there a way to play this game without having to pay attention to the other party members? I find it annoying I have to keep pointing them towards cover, never mind telling them to use a special ability.

Just ignore them, it makes the game no easier to keep them alive. Don't do any side quests or explore random worlds, they're all super boring.

I wrote the game off first time I played it. Turns out the optional content is just dreadful and it's actually fun if you gun through the main story without stopping. I'm glad I gave it another chance.

Hmm. I'll maybe give that a go, then.

I think my initial attempt on it was also hindered by the fact that the quick character generator gives you the least interesting character imaginable.
    I was sensible enough to roll a lady and so should you.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I really hope Gingrich wins South Carolina. Because that will make for a hilariously brutal Republican primary. Obama won't even have to campaign, they'll destroy each other long before the election.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012

*shrug* They're like sidequests in all games. Do them for XP and bits of story, skip them if you prefer. I always do them all.

But sidequests are the best thing about Elder Scrolls Games and the ones in Witcher are super cool as well. And Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Emperi had some interesting sidequests as well, with nice changes of pace compared to the main quest.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    The side quests in Mass Effect are so terrible.

Edit: Actually the side quests on the non-story planets are so terrible.

Cinders on
  • Options
    I really hope Gingrich wins South Carolina. Because that will make for a hilariously brutal Republican primary. Obama won't even have to campaign, they'll destroy each other long before the election.

I wouldn't be so certain about it, you Yanks are famous for being dipshits who genuinely enjoy voting lawyers into office.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote:
    japan wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    japan wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Aldo wrote:

I wrote the game off first time I played it. Turns out the optional content is just dreadful and it's actually fun if you gun through the main story without stopping. I'm glad I gave it another chance.

Hmm. I'll maybe give that a go, then.

I think my initial attempt on it was also hindered by the fact that the quick character generator gives you the least interesting character imaginable.
    I was sensible enough to roll a lady and so should you.

Oh I got a lady, but I think it assumes that if you use the quick character generator it's because you intend to play the game as an FPS. So I got a lady with all the personality of the average FPS protagonist.

• Options
    I love the fact that Lana del Rey has permanently duck lipped her mouth. Now every picture can be a MySpace picture!

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    I quite like the way it has worked out in NZ. There is no established church, but we have all the UK flavours along with versions of the US kinds too. The UK types tend to be establishment and the US types tend to be wacky and everyone else ignores both groups.

It does make for some pretty town centres though, as the various core denominations (Anglican/COE, Presbyterian (CoS equivalent, with two flavours), RC, Methodist, Salvation Army) all competed to out do each other in colonial times. So even small towns have lovely churches

220px-St_Patricks_Catholic_Church_Waimate_NZ.jpg

StLukesOamaru.jpg

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote:

I wouldn't be so certain about it, you Yanks are famous for being dipshits who genuinely enjoy voting lawyers into office.

Wait, you mean the Dutch don't?!

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    It turns out that one of French Girl's nephews reacts very badly to animals that don't confirm to his established understanding of zoology. While playing with Duplo, he went mental when I put an elephant head on the back of a crocodile.

Repeated permutations of Duplo chimeras resulted in me being told that "I'm not funny" and I should stop doing "things that aren't real".

It was great. He also has a real monster waiting for him by his bed. It's a giraffe/crocodile/elephant/boat/car/tree

Duplo Trains were the best.

• Options
    thehumandignitythehumandignity Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote:

That's the only way to play. Worry about keeping them alive and you'll drive yourself batty.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Kalkino wrote:
    Aldo wrote:

Wait, you mean the Dutch don't?!

We don't vote for presidents, we vote for the 2nd Chamber (=house of commons). We voted a part-time sociology teacher into office by proxy this time around, before that we had a professor.

Aldo on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    oh yeah Syndicate on GoG!

• Options
    Aldo wrote:

That's the only way to play. Worry about keeping them alive and you'll drive yourself batty.

I wish they had put this on the tin. It's quite frustrating to see the awesome NPC roll around headshotting suckers in a cut-scene, only to see him shooting at walls while standing in the middle of a room once he's on my team.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    So I got drunk at a friends house, and being the responsible adult I am, decided to walk home instead of driving.

Which when I had to walk through a downpour of rain to get back to my car, felt really dumb in retrospect.

• Options
    Jokerman wrote:
    So I got drunk at a friends house, and being the responsible adult I am, decided to walk home instead of driving.

Which when I had to walk through a downpour of rain to get back to my car, felt really dumb in retrospect.

no, it's very sensible. Don't be silly. D:

• Options
    Aldo wrote:
    Jokerman wrote:

Oh I know it was the right thing to do, I was just hating life very much as I walked up and down three or four big fucking hills, soaked to my core.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Something's amiss with facebook today.

I want my money back.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote:
    Aldo wrote:

I wish they had put this on the tin. It's quite frustrating to see the awesome NPC roll around headshotting suckers in a cut-scene, only to see him shooting at walls while standing in the middle of a room once he's on my team.

be the soldier

never care about what your teammates are doing because you are way ahead of them charging into enemy fire

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Jokerman wrote:
    Aldo wrote:
    Jokerman wrote:

Oh I know it was the right thing to do, I was just hating life very much as I walked up and down three or four big fucking hills, soaked to my core.

Are you not in the possession of an umbrella-ella-ella-ella?

• Options
    Jokerman wrote:
    Aldo wrote:
    Jokerman wrote:

why did you have your car there when you were drinking/why were you drinking when you had a car there

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I don't think I wanna go out afterall. I ain't got the energy for it.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    You know what's awesome? Red Bull Crashed Ice.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Jokerman wrote:
    Aldo wrote:
    Jokerman wrote:

why did you have your car there when you were drinking/why were you drinking when you had a car there

I was hanging out with friends and decided to have some beers, when they kicked me out to go to sleep, I knew there was no way I should get behind the wheel, so I hoofed it back to my house. It wasn't very far or anything, just 15 minutes or so. The only thing that sucked about it was having to walk through my neighborhood after dark, because it's kind of like a former solviet republic, just abandoned buildings, graveyards, and crumbling sidewalks. But the worst part was the hills and the rain today.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Man, Joker. They didn't offer to let you crash the couch or anything?

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Man that j last night got the best of me

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    on the one hand, I really like my new circular saw. on the other, the Ikea table I was using as a work bench is now mysteriously one inch narrower than it was to start with...

• Options
    edited January 2012
    And the 2 for 1 drink special...

Eddy on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote:
    on the one hand, I really like my new circular saw. on the other, the Ikea table I was using as a work bench is now mysteriously one inch narrower than it was to start with...

... hahaha!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Eddy wrote:
    Man that j last night got the best of me

that was pcp, dave

• Options
    I couldn't tell if the 3d movie was in 3d until like halfway into it

• Options
    TL DR wrote:
    Man, Joker. They didn't offer to let you crash the couch or anything?

No, they're...kinda funny about that. I don't know why.

This discussion has been closed.