As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games with lots of little duders doin' stuff real fast?

SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Games and Technology
So like a lot of folks I like Dwarf Fortress. There's lots of reasons to like Dwarf Fortress, of course: you get to design your own little fortress on a tile-by-tile basis, you can run your fortress almost any way you want with the only limit being the whims of the AI, you get to watch shit go down in some of the most bizarre and ingenious ways ever seen in a video game, so on, so on.

But you know what's really nice? Not only havin' a bunch of little dwarfs to order around, but havin' that and being able to crank the speed up as high as your CPU can take and watch your little dudes go. There's nothin' better than laying out a nice and elaborate dig pattern and seein' your miners rush off in glee, burrowing through the earth every which way like a hive of termines on speed ripping through a wood foundation. Digging, smoothing and engraving, building: it's a strange sort of beauty to watch your dudes zipping about so eratic and carefree, leaving in their wakes virtual art, and I want more.

And then I saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX_DnZ_uMQg

Look at that shit. Look at all those little dudes zipping around like motherfucking speed freaks, building and shaping and placing. Look at that patch of emptiness being transformed before your very eyes by your little minions. Look at that mob of dudes that could suddenly spring into action and crash upon some unfortunate target like an enormous, super-time-lapsed pixelated wave. That is awesome, and I know there are plenty of other people who're feeling the very same way.

What other titles do we have to fulfill our needs of little dudes doin' shit fast? They can be building, they can be destroying, they can be doing whatever the fuck, but we need 'em, and we need 'em fast.

Sorenson on

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    That's the new Introversion game isn't it? I'm sad that they have stopped working on Subversion, but I always look forward to new stuff from them.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Lemmings on fast forward?

Absalon on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    it's not little men, but I get the same feeling in spacechem.
    set up the perfect path & instructions, watch a couple cylcles on normal then crank that shit up and watch my machines fly

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Oh, and a game that features hyper speed digging is Dwarfs?!. It got a lot of shit at release because of Dwarf Fortress and something I don't know but it's actually a lot of fun. And a big part of the games mechanics is hitting the fast forward button, since the game's main mode is Time Challenges. You only dig and build on one level, but if you like the idea of managing a bunch of drunks who are digging their way to doom and ruination then check it out. And it's not nearly as time consuming as DF. Really about the only thing the two games have in common is Dwarfs, drinking, digging and epic disasters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC1bSw1lWos

The music may not be to taste, but I prefer that to some dudes voice over.

Drake on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Dwarfs!? is similar:

dwarfs1.jpg

You can fast forward as well, but it's often a bad idea.

Edit: Beaten! I don't remember any drinking in the game... haven't played in a long while though, and I know they added some stuff.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    overlord is sorta like this, but a third person action game too. they aren't as fast as that video up there but they can swarm enemies, solve puzzles, and help you forge new weapons. it's a fun game, and maybe you could mod the PC version to make them crazy fast.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Introversion made a thing? With stuff in it?!

TAKE MY MONEYS

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Dwarfs!? is really fun and always ends in disaster.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Dude, Prison Architect looks like the weirdest / most awesome concept ever. Where can I read more on that?

By the way, the buses rolling up at the end reminded me of Theme Park. Only I guess it's prisoners. <_<

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I would like DF more if not for the interface. It's too damn convoluted and messy. Also, why can't I use my mouse in that game? I've tried to get into it and know what I need to build and gather, but the interface is too complex and annoying to use.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Yeah. Dwarf Fortress with a mouse interface and better menu navigation... I would actually be more ready to stop using the tileset converters and just stick to the ascii. Because my memory for the game can be focused on that, instead of remembering how to navigate bullshit menus.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    SimAnt with the speed cranked?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    SimAnt with the speed cranked?

I never played the game, but I heard about it talked about on a podcast once (not to say that suddenly makes me an expert). Doesn't the game control not unlike Lemmings where you just control one ant at a time? And you cycle through them to command? That's always seemed like an overwhelming means of control.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    That's the new Introversion game isn't it? I'm sad that they have stopped working on Subversion, but I always look forward to new stuff from them.

didn't they say something like Subversion wasn't going to work, but this is the game that did work coming from that perspective?

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Prison Architect is what Dwarf Fortress aficionados see in the matrix.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Does anybody have the scoop on Delve Deeper? It looks like wicked good fun but I want opinions.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Not exactly doing stuff real fast, but I'm interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyexilq-yCA

• Options
    Does anybody have the scoop on Delve Deeper? It looks like wicked good fun but I want opinions.

I really love Delve Deeper. It plays like a tile based board game more than anything else. You compose your team of five Dwarfs out of any composition of Warriors, Scouts or Miners that you like. Each has a different balance of attributes, but they all can basically do the same things. You compete against an AI team(s) or you can play local hotseat multiplayer. You lay down an appropriate tunnel tile at the beginning of each turn anywhere on the map. You can do things like expose deeper tunnels with greater wealth and more danger for your team, or you can hook up an opposing teams tunnels with a pocket of monsters to hinder them in their quest for riches. You can fight each other as well, with the benefit of robbing your competition if you knock them out. The goal of the game is to see who can get the most riches together for the Dwarf king. The game comes with tons of maps, an editor, is well supported and has lots of charm and humor. It's well worth the five bucks.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Drake wrote:

I really love Delve Deeper. It plays like a tile based board game more than anything else. You compose your team of five Dwarfs out of any composition of Warriors, Scouts or Miners that you like. Each has a different balance of attributes, but they all can basically do the same things. You compete against an AI team(s) or you can play local hotseat multiplayer. You lay down an appropriate tunnel tile at the beginning of each turn anywhere on the map. You can do things like expose deeper tunnels with greater wealth and more danger for your team, or you can hook up an opposing teams tunnels with a pocket of monsters to hinder them in their quest for riches. You can fight each other as well, with the benefit of robbing your competition if you knock them out. The goal of the game is to see who can get the most riches together for the Dwarf king. The game comes with tons of maps, an editor, is well supported and has lots of charm and humor. It's well worth the five bucks.

Excellent, thank you! Sounds like a purchase to me.

JKKaAGp.png