As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New batman Thread *Big Spoiler

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2012
    Antimatter wrote:
    isn't the fact that that character is in the game a bit of a spoiler for people who havent played it

My bad. I wasn't thinking about the game. I thought he was insinuating I was spoiling the movie somehow. And I didn't think about spoiling the game because I figured I was the the last one to play it.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    It's not such a huge game spoiler though

there are worse ones

Butler For Life #1 on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i still haven't played Arkham City

heck, I haven't beaten Arkham Asylum

i just got it for PC and my game got corrupted after I beat Bane

I am very, very sorry. I didn't mean to be that guy.

BLM - ACAB
    it's fine!

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    i still haven't played Arkham City

heck, I haven't beaten Arkham Asylum

i just got it for PC and my game got corrupted after I beat Bane

start playing again

now that you've beaten the first unsatisfactory boss fight there are more awaiting you

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    I stayed up all night playing Arkham City

Beat it at like

2 AM

FREAKED OUT

I love the Arkham games.

They are so Batman.

BLM - ACAB
    i'd have to reinstall!

honestly, I might skip straight to AC in that case

AA is good but not worth that much trouble

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I'm Batman.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    i dont have AC! nor the funds to procure it!

in that case I recommend finishing AA

which is great, even if the boss fights aren't

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote:
    I love the Arkham games.

They are so Batman.

The Geek, stop trying to make Batman happen. It's not going to happen!

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    What?

BLM - ACAB
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Bedigunz is geeks ahead.

Oh brilliant
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    i started playing Arkham City, but then i took a Skyrim to the knee

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Arkham Asylum/City has the advantage of an absolutely fantastic voice cast.

And I just beat the game a few days ago but I'm definitely playing it again which is fairly rare for me.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    wirehead26 wrote:
    Arkham Asylum/City has the advantage of an absolutely fantastic voice cast.

And I just beat the game a few days ago but I'm definitely playing it again which is fairly rare for me.

Having new game plus always helps contribute to wanting to play again.

BLM - ACAB
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote:
    The Geek wrote:
    I love the Arkham games.

They are so Batman.

The Geek, stop trying to make Batman happen. It's not going to happen!

That's not very Batman of you Bedigunz
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uoKwlYT-Ho&feature=related

Quire.jpg
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    i'm not saying it didn't make sense, i'm saying the scene was just awful. batman EMPs the building with a cell phone, and then kidnaps the dude by jumping out the window with a balloon?

Actually that was based on a real thing. Soldiers would launch up a balloon with hook, plane would fly over and snatch them up. It was supposed to work during intensely hostile situations where extraction via landing any kind of aircraft was way too dangerous.

Gatsby on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Yeah, most of the technology in Nolan's Batman films are based on real tech. Even the soft->hard cape is real

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    To me the scene felt like "hey look at this tech, we need to introduce it somehow so we can use it later"

Also leaving Gotham just felt strange, jarring, I dunno

I think the same plot points could have been addressed in a more cohesive way

they should've set up Batman Inc in Begins so that Chinese Batman could've taken care of it

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    My main gripe with TDK

no Batarangs

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    The entire sequence of Batman bringing Lau back to Gotham is my favorite in both Nolan Batman films. Just the pure audacity of it is amazing and it is probably the sequence that screams, "BATMAN!!!!" most to me.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    KalTorak wrote:
    My main gripe with TDK

no Batarangs

Yeah that was weird. Especially with all the creative ways they used them in Begins.

Quire.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    No time for batarangs when you are shooting sticky explosives everywhere.

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote:
    The entire sequence of Batman bringing Lau back to Gotham is my favorite in both Nolan Batman films. Just the pure audacity of it is amazing and it is probably the sequence that screams, "BATMAN!!!!" most to me.

I can see basically the area it happened from my window right now.

edited January 2012
    I love it because at the end it sends home a couple messages but possibly my two favorite are, "Batman has NO LIMITS," and secondly it marks Batman pretty much being an international terrorist.

Zonugal on
    Batman does stuff out of Gotham once and a while. this wasn't the first time and with Batman Inc. it won't be close to the last.

Quire.jpg
    In a film though?

I'm responding to the original claim "that was a very unbatman thing to do" and not you. Sorry Zonugal. I agree with what you said.

Quire.jpg
    Well then...

YAY!!!!!

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote:
    No time for batarangs when you are shooting sticky explosives everywhere.

I guess it might have been confusing cinematically. It just bugged me a little because Batarangs are the trademark (literally) Batman method for dealing with dudes with guns - chuck a Batarang at them, and it either pierces or smacks their hand and they drop their gun, or just clubs them in the head (inexplicably never impaling them through the skull). If you're really fancy sometimes he ricochets one off several gun-hands.

In BB he uses them to take out the lights, which was pretty badass. But in TDK, in the parking garage and in Hong Kong, he's fighting guys with guns who happen to be about 3 feet in front of him. You'd think there would be at least one at a distance. Later with the SWAT team and the hostages he uses his grapple gun, so all good there.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Apparently, they got Batman to go all the way to China, risk his life, illegally kidnap a Chinese citizen who had not been convicted or even indicted on any US-based crime, and bring him back for questioning and they didn’t have an actual plan (which then gets Lau killed by the Joker). They had NO IDEA what to nail him on, they just knew that he was the money-man for the mob. So, when he finally admits to being the banker for numerous criminal organizations, Harvey has a eureka moment with Rachel and blurts “we can get them on RICO!”, presuming of course they can prove just one of the organizations pooling their money with Lau had committed crimes.

A bit of education: RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act) is a US federal law. That means HAD that been the case that Harvey chose to pursue that path, he would have to hand over the entire case to a FEDERAL court, taking it completely out of his hands to prosecute – his jurisdiction was at a city level for Chicago (I mean Gotham). He was not a federal prosecutor. If he was, he would be referred to in the movie as a United States Attorney. If some want to argue semantics that he was a federal attorney and merely referred to as a District Attorney, that argument will fail because such positions are appointed by the President of the United States. They are not elected to that position, as is the case with Harvey Dent (it’s pretty clear in both the viral marketing and election context of the movie).

That was just one flaw with that segment; another flaw is the fact that Lau’s lawyer just stood there doing nothing while Harvey and Rachel were using unjust tactics to pressure him to talk, making implications they would place his life in danger based on how much he cooperates. Because, without those tactics, they didn’t seem to even have a clue of what to get Lau to admit to which might implicate the criminals they were after.
    lawyered

I think batarangs are a pretty hard prop to correctly utilize in film. Its typically dark and they are rather dark themselves and fairly quick for the eye.

But yeah, I understand. He should have still used them maybe once in an auxiliary way.

edited January 2012
    Meh.

(To the Vegeta guy again)

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    the names virginia

This discussion has been closed.