As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Oscars Pool 2012 Champion is...Bogey! Again! Thrice in Four Years! Make him prizes!

• Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote:
    Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close got in for the same reason as The Blind Side, they wanted to honour a particular actor or actress. It makes sense and I can kind of respect it, but it's still shitty and I get to be mad because I wanted a Fassbender movie to get in.

Who, Tom Hanks? Who else was in that? The old guy?

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Aaaaagh, I feel like an idiot about not realizing that there was already a thing that I suggested, and not realizing how dumb that could be.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

RE: EL&IC, I love Tom Hanks to death, but yeah, it definitely seems like that movie got in on name power, not merit.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Staleghoti wrote:
    you mean the uhhh

Viewer's Choice awards?

No I'm pretty sure allowing the public to vote on these things is a horrible idea

Herp derp, it's me, I'm the dumb.

I don't know, even if the Viewer's Choice would be dumb, at least it there wouldn't be a bunch of snubs "for the sake of art and the theater."

Pretty sure if there were subs for the sake of art Shame would be nominated.

Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Staleghoti wrote:
    Kochikens wrote:
    Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close got in for the same reason as The Blind Side, they wanted to honour a particular actor or actress. It makes sense and I can kind of respect it, but it's still shitty and I get to be mad because I wanted a Fassbender movie to get in.

Max Von Sydow.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Staleghoti wrote:
    Kochikens wrote:

Sandra Bullock.

And if The Blind Side proved anything, the Academy will fall all over itself if a bad actress is in one movie with some "powerful" emotional appeal.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote:
    Staleghoti wrote:
    Kochikens wrote:

Max Von Sydow.

The old guy

• Options
    Y'know you can honour a respected actor without nominating the whole damn movie for best picture.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    The Blind Side got in cause they wanted Sandra Bullock to have an Oscar.

edit: sloooowwwww

Kochikens on
  • Options
    Staleghoti wrote:
    Staleghoti wrote:
    you mean the uhhh

Viewer's Choice awards?

No I'm pretty sure allowing the public to vote on these things is a horrible idea

Herp derp, it's me, I'm the dumb.

I don't know, even if the Viewer's Choice would be dumb, at least it there wouldn't be a bunch of snubs "for the sake of art and the theater."

Pretty sure if there were subs for the sake of art Shame would be nominated.

Cue my pitifully weak attempts to explain my intrinsic distrust of the Academy.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    That whole business with The Blind Side was complete bullshit anyway.

Like Sandra Bullock isn't even that good, and wasn't good in that movie or really anything except those cop/pagent movies

• Options
    Staleghoti wrote:
    That whole business with The Blind Side was complete bullshit anyway.

Like Sandra Bullock isn't even that good, and wasn't good in that movie or really anything except those cop/pagent movies

I would rather have seen her get an Oscar for Speed.

Then you could say "That's bullshit," and not have to deal with people yelling at you for being a heartless bastard, and disregarding her "moving" performance.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    THAT PERFORMANCE WAS FUCKING TERRIBLE

All she did was put on her southern accent that she fuckin grew up with!

Then she read the lines... all she fuckin did.

• Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote:

uh you can win an acting oscar without the movie being nominated for best picture

bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    simo wrote:
    Kochikens wrote:

uh you can win an acting oscar without the movie being nominated for best picture

Not if you want to avoid having a bunch of stupid people spew bullshit for all eternity.

Then again, that's already happening; guess they'll stymie it where they can, regardless of the consequences.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Once again, my opinion is it was only nominated for Best Picture because that's the year the amount of nominations for that award went up from 5 to 10

Why else do you think Up was nominated for Best Picture too?

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    simo wrote:
    Kochikens wrote:

Not if you want to avoid having a bunch of stupid people spew bullshit for eternity.

but it happened that very year with jeff bridges and crazy heart

bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Supposedly the actors themselves decide who gets the nods, so I guess you can only blame them.

And Jeff Bridges can have every Oscar.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    simo wrote:
    simo wrote:
    Kochikens wrote:

Not if you want to avoid having a bunch of stupid people spew bullshit for eternity.

but it happened that very year with jeff bridges and crazy heart

Pinned an addendum to that post, don't think it makes much difference, though.

Anyway, you make a point.

Though I still can't help but think that it had something to do with them wanting to avoid some blowback by "snubbing" such a "fantastic" film.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Once again, my opinion is it was only nominated for Best Picture because that's the year the amount of nominations for that award went up from 5 to 10

Hey

Up will fuckin make you CRY. Like it will make a grown man weep. And there wasn't any 9/11 in it at all.

Toy Story 3 on the other hand...

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote:
    Supposedly the actors themselves decide who gets the nods, so I guess you can only blame them.

Just recast the Oscar in Jeff Bridges' likeness.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote:

You're thinking of the Actor's Guild awards.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences decides the nominations.

• Options
    Staleghoti wrote:

Hey

Up will fuckin make you CRY. Like it will make a grown man weep. And there wasn't any 9/11 in it at all.

Hey.

Hey.

I damn near cried watching Toy Story 3. :?

(Actually, I'm interested in hearing what other people think of it; I thought it was pretty good, but that might be nostalgia.)

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Yeah I liked Toy Story 3 cause I liked Toy Story in general and it was cathartic to see the story rounded out so well.

But Up was sweet on only its merits alone

• Options
    Staleghoti wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:

You're thinking of the Actor's Guild awards.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences decides the nominations.

But isn't it all actors of the Academy who decide? Like the Directors in the Academy decide best director noms and so on.

Wait, maybe I'm thinking of the winners.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Staleghoti wrote:

Hey

As I said in my post on the last page, I agree

I thought it was the best animated movie of that year

But the best movie of that year, period?

• Options
    Staleghoti wrote:

Hey

And as I'm trying to make clear, it deserved a nod as "one of the best of the year"

like how they're supposed to do these nominations.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    why in god's name would sandra bullock ever deserve an oscar

• Options
    Good question CK

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    I liked Toy Story 3 mostly for bringing the story to the next generation, and Up mostly for the old guy fight. Wasn't quite that emotionally impacted by either, though.

• Options
    Staleghoti wrote:
    Staleghoti wrote:

Hey

And as I'm trying to make clear, it deserved a nod as "one of the best of the year"

Then why doesn't the best foreign film get nominated as a Best Picture then too?

I mean, it is "one of the best of the year"

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Toy Story 3 was up to Pixar's standard

Which is to say, really damn good

• Options
    why in god's name would sandra bullock ever deserve an oscar

Because latent racism.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Staleghoti wrote:
    Staleghoti wrote:

Hey

Then why doesn't the best foreign film get nominated as a Best Picture then too?

I mean, it is "one of the best of the year"

Sometimes it does?

I mean the whole reason they have a 'foreign' category is cause they like to keep it American.

• Options
    Toy Story 3 was great

The ending made me bawl like a 5-month-old

• Options
    Would've been nice to see Paprika get a nod. It's certainly a visual trip.
    (Did Satoshi Kon even get honored as a deceased filmmaker?)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon won Best Foreign Language Film and got a Best Picture nomination.

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote:

I feel the same about Redline

• Options
    SabreMau wrote:
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon won Best Foreign Language Film and got a Best Picture nomination.

Life is Beautiful

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    God I love Brad Pitt, "My congratulations to all the nominees…pancakes for everyone."

• Options
    Staleghoti wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:

I feel the same about Redline

Paprika is a film the Academy might actually watch. (And I say this as someone who liked Redline)

wVEsyIc.png