As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] FemShep Trailer Released. USE SPOILER TAGS

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote:
    mm yes but you see without those Matriarch Writings...

what do these actually do in ME2? I saw the quest on a list of stuff that carried over, but I don't think any of the shepards I really used for the second game had all of them

they do nothing

though I suspect Bioware will stick a joke line in ME3 for them

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    See, Matriarch Dilinaga was an Asari Poet Laureate, so you use them to get Ashley and Jack to have a threesome.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    -Tal wrote:
    -Tal wrote:
    mm yes but you see without those Matriarch Writings...

what do these actually do in ME2? I saw the quest on a list of stuff that carried over, but I don't think any of the shepards I really used for the second game had all of them

they do nothing

though I suspect Bioware will stick a joke line in ME3 for them

[As you watch the Asari homeworld burn]

Liaria: "It's ironic, really. All that time they had been searching for the Matriarch's writings. You found them, and returned them. But had they stayed hidden..."''

'Note: I don't actually know if you go to the Asari homeworld in ME3.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    It's about time for me to start a new insane ME1+2 playthrough to eventually take into 3, but I can't decide what to play! I've only played through ME2 a couple times (as Sentinel and Engineer), and ME1 once, a long time ago. I'm thinking either Adept or Vanguard. But I dislike that the Adept's powers aren't nearly as effective on protected enemies, and playing the Vanguard on insane seems like it would be very frustrating. Someone convince me one way or the other! That or I'll just play Sentinel again.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Vanguard. Insane's not that bad.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    'Note: I don't actually know if you go to the Asari homeworld in ME3.

Probably! They have concept art (big) of it for ME3.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    I expect to visit the homeworlds of all the major species

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    So can I play ME3 without an internet connection? Gonna be SO pissed if the PC version of ME3 can't be played offline only. I don't have Origin, can anyone comment?

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I never did pull the trigger on an insanity vanguard. Maybe on my canon run i should try it just for the hell of it.

Then again, I didn't care terribly much for insanity as a sentinel.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    On Insanity, Sentinels just let the enemy think they have a chance.

• Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote:
    See, Matriarch Dilinaga was an Asari Poet Laureate, so you use them to get Ashley, Kasumi and Jack to have a four-way.

Fixed for the haiku writing stalker.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    DANGER DANGER!

The Art of Mass Effect has concept art of the last
    hidden team members and people are posting pics. There's a chance you may hear of or see them on other threads.

I won't post the scans, but if you're reeaaaallllyyy curious about who they are...
    The Prothean, who is the Limited Edition squadmate and EDI in a fembot body (not sure if she' in the game or will be DLC)

MetalMagus on
  • Options
    Before I click on the spoilers... define "hidden".

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    The first one I figured, but the second one just makes me laugh. I mean, seriously?
    Also means the prothean is biotic. The other thing is just going to be weeeiiiirrrrd.
    So can I play ME3 without an internet connection? Gonna be SO pissed if the PC version of ME3 can't be played offline only. I don't have Origin, can anyone comment?

As far as we know, you need Origin but only have to have it running and be online the first time, to authenticate. After that, you'd need to launch Origin and be online to play multiplayer, presumably, although maybe Origin isn't necessary there.

Edit: Hidden as in you probably wouldn't expect it when rattling off potential crewmates.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    I am all about those spoiler squadmates if they're romanceable. :winky:

• Options
    Okay, I saw the pictures, and wow, that sure is a thing that they're actually doing.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Emporium wrote:
    you would cockblock joker like that?

• Options
    And that's terrible.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    The first one I figured, but the second one just makes me laugh. I mean, seriously?

ME is heavily inspired by classic sci-fi movies and novels, and one of the most influential sci-fi movies is
    Metropolis, the most recognizable element from the film being Maria's robotic form

fembots aren't a new, crazy thing in science fiction. really the only reason we haven't seen them in ME is because AI's are outlawed in the fiction, and the Geth kinda soured the populace of the galaxy on robots in general

• Options
    My official response to the spoiler:
    whatisthisidonteven

sig.gif
  • Options
    Emporium wrote:
    you would cockblock joker like that?
    Considering that Joker has brittle bones and EDI the sexbot has a solid metal groin, I expect Joker to express his eternal gratitude for cockblocking him

• Options
    Sorce wrote:
    whatisthisidonteven
    agree
    pretty disappointed that none of the me2 guys are permanent members. why did I even save them?
    oooh, I can see them each in the background of one level, how compelling.
    I guess they really want us to use mister vega

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I remember vividly much bitching and moaning about ME2 character reveals. I'm gonna roll with it and see how they play it.

I can't say I particularly disapprove.

(I had this shit accidentally spoiled for me a few weeks ago, so I figured I'd check out the designs while I was at it.)

Elendil on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Ugh, they went there. Ugh.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    what's weird is that
    kaidan is going to be the only sentinel type? man

he dead

and now i'm gonna have two soldiers

I don't need two soldiers!

• Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    you
    Elendil wrote:
    I remember vividly much bitching and moaning about ME2 character reveals. I'm gonna roll with it and see how they play it.

(I had this shit accidentally spoiled for me a few weeks ago, so I figured I'd check out the designs while I was at it.)

this is a bit more dumb though. probably the dumbest mass effect has been.
    edi the sexbot, and a piece of lore. i have no understanding of why this was thought of as a good decision.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I don't know any of the squad mates because I've not been spoiling anything for myself. Looking forward to diving straight in to ME3 without knowing everything that's going to happen in it.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Sorce wrote:
    whatisthisidonteven
    agree
    pretty disappointed that none of the me2 guys are permanent members. why did I even save them?

Well, if you want to know...
    Things may have changed quite a bit from the initial script leak, but I got the impression that each ME2 squadmate (barring Garrus and Tali) are tied to an important sidequest. Your success and the potential positive outcome of that success is likely affected pretty heavily by whether or not those characters are there.

MetalMagus on
  • Options
    McJohnstableMcJohnstable Registered User regular
    I can't wait for this. Love the M.E. series.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    ME is heavily inspired by classic sci-fi movies and novels, and one of the most influential sci-fi movies is
    Metropolis, the most recognizable element from the film being Maria's robotic form

fembots aren't a new, crazy thing in science fiction. really the only reason we haven't seen them in ME is because AI's are outlawed in the fiction, and the Geth kinda soured the populace of the galaxy on robots in general
    I'm sure you recognize that mechMaria looks way, way less human than EDI's form, which is basically a nude metal mannequin. And "fembot" is exactly my fear. Considering they didn't go with the top set of concept art, with its weirder, alien appearance and pose and instead went with the bottom set, which along with the apparent final design is posed in a sexually provocative way, I'm leery.

Obviously EDI is still going to be EDI, so I'm not worried about them ruining the character (and I'm sure story- and dialogue-wise, everything will remain excellent), but I don't think there was a "sexy robot"-size hole in the ME universe. I hope they added some weird, one-degree-off uncanny valley thing to the skinless chassis so this goes more 'boundaries of sci-fi' than 'nerd fanservice'.

Four months later, I'll probably be saying everything is awesome, but for right now...leery.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Nuzak wrote:
    you
    Elendil wrote:

this is a bit more dumb though. probably the dumbest mass effect has been.
    edi the sexbot, and a piece of lore. i have no understanding of why this was thought of as a good decision.
    EDI was a pretty great character that was underused because she couldn't leave the Normandy. The Protheans are very likely to tie heavily into the "how the hell are we going to beat the Reapers?" plot and having one around to give his perspective on things could be pretty cool. I'm willing to give both of them the benefit of the doubt that they'll turn out well. Then again, I like all the squadmates.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Elendil wrote:

Eh, I'm not against it, but perhaps context (as in, waiting to see it in game) would really work better with something like that.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    here's the thing about the spoiler
    everybody is freaking out about OMG SEXBOT and forgetting that yes, Bioware can do tasteful female characters even when they are drawn sexually

and the prothean just looks awesome

also with all this leaked stuff WHERE THE HECK ARE MY RALOI

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote:
    everybody is freaking out about OMG SEXBOT and forgetting that yes, Bioware can do tasteful female characters

yeah, I very, very clearly remember the Samara reveal

BIG TITS
    "your morals are my morals" -> IS THIS SOME S/M SHIT?

and then it turned out Samara was pretty okay!

• Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote:
    what's weird is that
    kaidan is going to be the only sentinel type? man

he dead

and now i'm gonna have two soldiers

I don't need two soldiers!

well, ashley's class has probably changed. if her new boob job is anything to go by she might have biotic abilities now!

• Options
    MetalMagus wrote:
    Sorce wrote:
    whatisthisidonteven
    agree

Well, if you want to know...
    Things may have changed quite a bit from the initial script leak, but I got the impression that each ME2 squadmate (barring Garrus and Tali) are tied to an important sidequest. Your success and the potential positive outcome of that success is likely affected pretty heavily by whether or not those characters are there.
    and I get the impression that if a me2 squaddie is dead, they'll just be replaced by a random member of [race] ala wrex/wreave.
    I doubt if you import a failshep the game is just gonna be 10 missions shorter & you have no chance of winning

• Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote:
    -Tal wrote:
    everybody is freaking out about OMG SEXBOT and forgetting that yes, Bioware can do tasteful female characters

BIG TITS

To be fair, S&M shit was lurking behind Samara (in the character of Morinth) (and it was awesome)

If those spoilers are correct about the hidden characters, then that's awesome.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Elendil wrote:

BIG TITS

Samara is a good example. Because character-wise, she's cool in that she's doing her own thing almost Spectre-like, and is monkish, and she defies expectations in that she is immune to Shepard's wooing magnetosphere. Character design-wise, I still have no idea why she wears skintight cleavage-baring leather. I get why Miranda wears what she does, because she uses her tailored design to gain advantage. But Samara, with her assault rifle and her crazy-powerful biotics and who doesn't seem to approach conflicts subtly or indirectly, I have no idea about.

I'd like to see them take more risks with female character design, in other words. Mordin, Grunt, Thane and Garrus etc. are way, way weirder than any counterpart (in part because we haven't seen female versions of some species -- but only in part, and which is related to the problem in the first place anyway), and Jack is the only one who breaks out of conventional beauty standards.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    So this is who we're looking at as far as the party members on the Normandy:
    Liara
    Garrus
    Tali
    Virmire Survivor
    Vega McBrofist
    DLC Character
    EDI

Correct?

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    some particular rage I find hilarious about the spoilers is
    Bioware "retconned" the squid statues on Ilos

there was no reason to assume those were representative of actual protheans than our lion statues outside libraries are

I like that you can tell how the Reapers modified the Protheans, but that he's still recognizable

PNk1Ml4.png