As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The brand [GNU/Linux / Alternate OS] thread: Steam finally confirmed

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I built and libmobiledevice and rhythmbox and gtkpod just crash.

Not sure if this is possible.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Likely they were compiled with optional support for libmobiledevice if present, but expect a different version. Or, see if there's a PPA out there that has libmobiledevice and/or compatible rhythmbox available.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I've had unending problems with rhythmbox on Ubuntu/Mint and just gave up on it eventually. I use Amarok these days.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Wish there was anything as good as Foobar 2000 on Linux. Quod Libet was decent but wasn't as good.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    My cubox i4 that runs openelec just chewed up its second SD card.

On the same night that my freeNAS box's usb stick died and possibly another hard drive or two.

Ffff

• Options
    Wish there was anything as good as Foobar 2000 on Linux. Quod Libet was decent but wasn't as good.

Foobnix, maybe? I don't have much experience with Foobar 2000, so I don't know exactly what features you're looking for. Quick google pops up Deadbeef and aTunes as possibilities.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I've been building my pcs and running windows on them for the last 20 years. I never had any real experience with Linux or any other OS, and have zero knowledge of how to compile things and stuff like that.

I just installed Lubuntu on my eeePC 1005HA (with 2GB RAM) and Mint as a secondary OS on my Core i5 6GB RAM MSI FX-420 laptop. The netbook is super useable now, I'm amazed at how great Lubuntu runs.
    I tried Kubuntu first on the big laptop, and hated the interface. Mint was a lot more what I wanted: easy to use, fast, good looking.

Now I have this itch: What can I do with Linux on these machines other than browser/office? What's a good way to dip my toe in this ocean and learn something? I know about man pages and shit like that, but that's way too daunting to still. Any ideas?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    Hard to say what you'd want to do on your own. What I've done since early this year from near-zero knowledge, because other people asked me to set it up for them so they didn't have to:

virtualization with xen, virtual networks and bridging: http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Main_Page
    LTSP (in which you'll learn TFTP, NFS, DHCP): http://wiki.ltsp.org/wiki/LTSPedia
    LDAP: http://www.zytrax.com/books/ldap/
    Centrally administered Mozilla settings
    Monitoring shit with zabbix, mdmon, smartmontools

If I'd only done it for myself I wouldn't have done it at all, to be honest, I'm too lazy.

Acquire a book or two or a bunch of video tutorials that would prepare you for LPIC-1/RHCSA/RHCE and go from there. Pay for the exams in advance or you won't feel any pressure to actually study the books ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Start smaller:

- Install various media players and find a few you like.
    - Set up Samba to share files from the Linux Netbook to Windows Machines.
    - Learn how to use mpd to stream your mp3s to your work PC and phone over http or ice/shoutcast.
    - Lubuntu runs the LXDE desktop environment by default; install and play with a few others, like XFCE, OpenBox, or one of the tiling wms (which I really feel are perfect for a netbook) such as awesome, i3, bspwm, or even dwm if you want the absolute lowest resource usage possible from a "desktop".
    - Install Steam, and figure out which games you own not only have Linux ports, but actually play on something that old.
    - Pick any random thing you're doing on your windows/mac machines right now, and go do it in Linux instead.

• Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. It's just that I look at those nice sparkly new systems and thought about how different they can be from windows and all the things they can do and I have no idea about.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Thanks for the suggestions. It's just that I look at those nice sparkly new systems and thought about how different they can be from windows and all the things they can do and I have no idea about.

Learn the terminal! It's positively archaic and actually pretty powerful. Chain commands together to do batch file renames; use netcat to shoot bits of data between machines; learn about the joys of piping bitmap files to your audio device.

Also, people will see that you have terminals open and they'll be all like "Woah! That much text on the screen looks really impressive! That person is literally a wizard!" and you'll be all like, "The only reason I have this many terminals open is because I have no idea what I'm doing right now."

People literally pay me money to just type things in a terminal all day. It's the best.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    You could try setting the machine up as a media server. From the command line. :)

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    GalliumOS is a new distro (built on Xubuntu) specifically for chromebooks from a developer I've been following for a while

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Hi! I'm interested in learning Linux a bit more in depth. I've been a sysadmin in a strictly Windows environment for more than a decade - haven't had a need for Linux professionally, and didn't have the space or energy to try to maintain it at home; but now I'm seeing a lot more mixed environments on job postings and I'd like to learn something new anyway just to avoid my brain turning to mush in my current job.

Looking at the op, is Ubuntu still the rec'd starting point for a total linux noob? Seems like as I browse around youtube and google every tutorial/guide has a different opinion about the "best" distribution. Are there any particular user guides that are worth looking into?

• Options
    There is no "best" distribution. The "best" one is the one with the features and philosophies that enable you to get whatever you need to do done. Ubuntu aims to be a user-friendly and polished experience, and yes, is easy for "noobs" to use; largely because they, like windows, hide the advanced stuff.

Ubuntu is based on Debian, which aims to be super-stable and focuses on free/libre software.
    Red Hat and it's child projects get a lot of love from the corporate sector.
    Arch and Gentoo are favored by people who enjoy tweaking the hell out of their system.

Just, you know, pick one, throw it in a VM, and start playing.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    God damn it.

The linux is the stickiest when moving it between subnets. This machine just refuses to give up its test subnet lease and take its prod IP.

Possibly complicated by the fact that it is all on the same DHCP server using the DHCP helper on our switches.

But even so.

FFFUUUU

EDIT: Oh NetworkManager, you cheeky monkey. Always try nmcli to see if it is active!

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    GalliumOS is a new distro (built on Xubuntu) specifically for chromebooks from a developer I've been following for a while

Any reason this wasn't built off of Lubuntu? I thought LXDE was leaner than XFCE, but maybe I'm wrong?

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    darren66 wrote: »

Any reason this wasn't built off of Lubuntu? I thought LXDE was leaner than XFCE, but maybe I'm wrong?

LXDE is lighter than XFCE, yes. Why this distro chose XFCE, you'd have to ask them.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    darren66 wrote: »

IMHO, Lubuntu requires a lot of fiddling with, and I personally view it to be the Arch of Ubuntu's. Especially on laptops, it can be a chore to just get a functioning battery meter. Xubuntu, on the other hand, has always felt like a good cross between lightweight and ease-of-use.

This isn't to say that was their reasoning, but it would be mine if I'm building on something for a Chromebook OS. I like Lubuntu (especially on an old hand-me-down iBook3 I tote around, because it's indestructible and I give zero shits if I lose it), but it's not something I like handing out to other people. Xubuntu and Linux Mint, on the other hand, I've never had qualms with.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    I threw Lubuntu on an EEEPC 1005ha and it was nice and easy. Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper light and fast too.
    and I'm a total Linux noob.

BTW, @Nullzone, I tried Kubuntu and Mint on a regular i5 laptop, and I really loved Mint.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    My cubox i4 that runs openelec just chewed up its second SD card.

On the same night that my freeNAS box's usb stick died and possibly another hard drive or two.

Ffff

I don't quite understand this, but when I write the image directly to the SD card it is no bueno. When I use the solidrun IGNITION installer it works beautifully. Still, cannot complaining

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Because I couldn't think of anything better to do tonight I am installing lubuntu 15.10 onto my machine. Hopefully it'll boot faster and generally run smoother than vanilla ubuntu.

Also, I seem to be having issues where the hardware volume buttons don't do anything in a linux OS. I figure it's some sort of obscure driver issue? It's a Dell Latitude D630, if that helps at all.

• Options
    Because I couldn't think of anything better to do tonight I am installing lubuntu 15.10 onto my machine. Hopefully it'll boot faster and generally run smoother than vanilla ubuntu.

Also, I seem to be having issues where the hardware volume buttons don't do anything in a linux OS. I figure it's some sort of obscure driver issue? It's a Dell Latitude D630, if that helps at all.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Extra_keyboard_keys

Generally you don't need a driver, but you may need to take the time to manually figure out what the keycode those buttons send is, and then configure something to happen on press.

That second part is often specific to your DE/WM, but the above link should get you on the right track.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Extra_keyboard_keys

Generally you don't need a driver, but you may need to take the time to manually figure out what the keycode those buttons send is, and then configure something to happen on press.

That second part is often specific to your DE/WM, but the above link should get you on the right track.

Hmmm seems like linux isn't even seeing the key input... I'm not worried though. Quite the contrary! I like a good challenge.

• Options
    Hit one of your multimedia keys, then run: dmesg | tail

You don't get a line similar to this?

"Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0xa0 on isa0060/serio0"

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    So I'm configuring an arch install in a vmbox because i eventually want to set my laptop up to dual boot. I've got grub already installed as the bootloader for windows. I feel like i know the answer for this but for some reason i can't wrap my brain around it. I still need a boot a swap and an OS partition correct?

So it should look something like

sda1 boot
    sda2 swap
    sda3 linux

but with my windows install and recovery partitions it'll probably end up looking like

sda1 windows efi boot
    sda2 windows os
    sda3 linux boot efi
    sda4 linux swap
    sda5 linux
    sda6 windows recovery efi
    sda7 windows recovery environment

right? and i just need to configure grub to read windows efi and linux efi, possibly recovery efi as well.
    I used grub for windows to install it as my current bootloader, so i can configure it from the windows environment, do i still need to install grub on the linux boot partition?

Or maybe my understanding of boot processes is garbage.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I've never bothered dual booting anything, but my understanding was that you could just put GRUB on your root partition, and use OS-Prober to get a nice and pretty list to select which OS-level partition you want to boot to out of GRUB.

Also, yes, you still need swap. Not sure about that boot EFI for arch, though. I just installed Arch on my server and after an hour of headache just shit-canned my EFI partition and it runs like a train now.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    You nuked the EFI partition? What are you using as a bootloader? Also is your system configured for UEFI w/secureboot on/off or BIOS?

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I'm going to shoot straight with you: It's a UEFI system running on MBR, here's the story.

That particular home server-computer has a UEFI motherboard, but didn't seem to be loading any UEFI stuff. I'd plug in a flash drive, and it would give me the option to boot it as "UEFI:Flash Drive" or "USB:Flash Drive". But, whenever I tried to do the UEFI options, it would spit out an error about EFI drivers. I reflashed it, same thing.

I followed directions to the letter for setting up all the GPT/EFI crap, and post installation, I'd get a fucked up screen with a flashy cursor, then an EFI driver error screen.

I called over my MS SysAdmin friend, and he poked around for 20 minutes while I made drinks... Then came out with a defeated look saying "I have no idea what's going on."

So we decided to just use parted to try making it a regular MBR set up, and it booted on the first try.

My experience standing up EFI systems has been abysmal. I don't profess to be any kind of expert. I've set up 5 Arch systems in the past month, of wildly differing configurations. The two systems with UEFI motherboards are running under this paradigm: "Does it boot? Does it report all hardware running at optimal numbers? Does it function as a computer and do the things I need it to do without issue?" If all are yes, move on with life.

Truly, when my buddy couldn't fix it I felt pretty OK with the situation. He's literally the expert. Got pieces of paper to prove it.

I've wandered pretty far here. Let me get back on track. If your EFI junk works without errors, then you probably need a partition for both OS's. Your table looks right, to me (the non-expert). If you successfully boot to GRUB, you should be able to just install arch and makeswap for it. Then use OS-Prober (or whatever tool you want to use) to get Arch on your GRUB list. I see no need to have two instances of GRUB going (that might actually be bad).

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Nah, that makes sense. I need to figure out how to get the install going properly. I'm doing this on a yoga pro 3 - 1370. So i need to install the wifi driver and then connect it before i can download the rest of the packages. I was under the impression i could just save the arch install to usb and set it up that way but that doesn't seem to be an option. So i set it up in a VM and got pretty far on the install but then it just didn't work properly, kind of a drag but whatever im probably just fucking something up. I honestly didn't realize I'd be doing an install of linux akin to a dism style deployment for windows. Its just caught me off guard right as i was feeling like I "computer good" but being able to do basic administrative tasks in RHEL and set up a server on debian has not been useful thus far, those come with an install gui!

edit: and to fucking top it all off apparently the secureboot policies changed after I updated the UEFI from 56 to 58 and now I can't even boot to the arch environment.

edit2: yea now i can't even boot to grub fails to load to windows BCD

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    One thing I'd try is flushing it all and:

booting to live Arch off USB.
    use parted (or tool of your choice) to create a brand new table.
    Install Arch and GRUB and getting them working nicely.
    Install Windows.
    Get Windows on your GRUB table.

Arch's live bit has your generic wifi drivers embedded. Just do wifi-menu right off the top to get connected. But! once you've chrooted into your install, make sure you bring down "Dialog" and "WPA-supplicant" (and probably "NetworkManager") before you reboot into your install. If you still fail to get wifi once you reboot, you can boot back into the live stick, wifi-menu again, chroot back to your root partition, and bring down whatever you missed.

• Options
    wifi-menu wlan0 just says no such interface. :/

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Well, your interface might not be wlan0. Unless that's what ”IP link” printed... My interfaces have always been something like wlan2s0.

Does ”wifi-menu” alone not do anything?

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Ip link only prints out loopback, wifi menu on it's own does nothing. I'm pretty sure I need to add the driver, and im also pretty sure it failed last time to add the driver because I didn't remount the live environment as rw.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Hmmmmm. What happens when you wifi-menu/ip link in live? Does that print anything? Or is that where you're getting nothing, in the live boot?

If it is, I think you're in a pickle and might need to find a way to hardwire until you can pull down your wifi drivers.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Hmmmmm. What happens when you wifi-menu/ip link in live? Does that print anything? Or is that where you're getting nothing, in the live boot?

If it is, I think you're in a pickle and might need to find a way to hardwire until you can pull down your wifi drivers.

yeah, I'm getting that in the live environment. There is probably some way to add the wifi drivers to the live environment isn't there?

• Options
    Not that I know of. But I've never messed with editing a live boot.

Dumb question but, do you have a hardware WiFi switch that got flipped?

• Options
    No physical switch, just the function key. Which I think makes it a firmware switch yes?

• Options
    Yeah, is there anything about WiFi on/off in your bios? The fact you don't get any interface makes me think it's either disabled or not a supported chip. Google doesn't say anything about the yoga 3 needing drivers...

• Options
    I'll have to take a look when I get home. Didn't think about the wifi card having a default state managed by the uefi.