As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Insufficient Power to Powers this USB device", now Comp wont start -

ED!ED! Registered User regular
Exactly what title says. I was tranffering photos from my digital camera to my computer through the USB, and I noticed the damn thing kept blipping in and out as if someone was unplugging and plugging the camera back in. I heard this happening while out of the room, when I came back in to see what was going on I saw the above message flash in the lower right screen, then the computer shuts down.

So I restart, and get to desktop, trying to load pictures again - computer loses power. I do this two more times (finally taking out the camera), making it past the log on screen, until now where the computer wont power on at all. Now, I'm sure there might be something wrong with my USB cable, as when I tranferred files on laptop, I had to crimp the cable to maintain a connection between the device and laptop.

It's not the PSU, as I can jumpstart it just fine (and I tried another new PSU). The first time I plugged in the new PSU, it spun up the CPU fan for a minute, then died after a few seconds. Was able to do that a couple of times, now nothing. Pushing power accomplishes nada. If I wait for a few minutes, I at LEAST get the PSU fan to spin. The mobo light (at least what I think is the mobo light) isn't on.

If it matters - it is a Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3. Could the faulty USB cable at all short out the mobo somehow?

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
ED! on

• Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if the cable is at fault, but it definitely sounds like your motherboard has stopped functioning correctly. Do you see any blown capacitors or anything that would indicate a problem on the motherboard itself?