As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Changing banks

Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead DeadRegistered User regular
edited January 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi all. I've had a checking account with HSBC for about 6 years now, and while it worked well enough when I had access to a branch all the time. Nowadays though, I've been out of college for 2 years and there is only one HSBC in all of Philadelphia that is even reasonably close, and that's still a PITA (15th and Market, woo). So, I'm thinking of switching to a different bank.

I know most of the internet is big on credit unions, so I've been looking into them a bit. Philadelphia Federal Credit Union seems to be pretty decent, but I'm wondering if there is anything I should look out for in this process? What is a good method to determine if a credit union is right for me over an old fashioned bank? What are the drawbacks to a CU over a bank? I've done some research on this here and there, but I'd really like to avoid getting screwed while switching banks, so any advice is appreciated.

aeNqQM9.jpg
Knight_ on

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    The major drawback is that you won't have access to a branch or ATM outside of your area. Not a huge concern as most CUs rebate a certain amount of ATM fees, but it is something to think about. The only case that I could think of a major bank being better than a CU is if you're a big-time traveller and need to have branches everywhere you go.