As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In all the cantinas in all the world, why'd [Star Wars] have to walk into mine?

AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whateverRegistered User regular
edited January 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
I like Fatboy Robert's use of classic lines as the OP titles of this ongoing series. It lends it a touch of class and timelessness, ironic in this post-PT world we live in.

We're currently talking about the EU, and how fucking awful it is.

No pan-handling. Punch it, Chewie.

Atomika on

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    shryke wrote:
    shryke wrote:
    And the Thrawn stuff was ... really not that great. I guess compared to other Star Wars book they are better, but they are still stupidly formulaic and badly written.

I think it was a problem of success. In the mid-nineties when the first Zahn books came out, the apetite for Star Wars in the national consciousness was huge. The Special Editions hadn't even come out, and there was no ill will toward Lucas or the franchise at all. Oh, to go back to those heady times and relive those salad days, when you could still be a cinephile and wholeheartedly love the trilogy, even the Ewok bits. Zahn's books exploded onto the scene as the first ANYTHING for Star Wars fans, and they were eaten up ravenously.

It was like giving a boloney sandwich to a starving man. And the success of those books put Del Rey (right?) on the hook to repeat it as often as they could. So they did, again and again. And again. And again. And again twelve more times.

However, the silver lining was that Drew Struzan rocked those dust jackets.

The trilogy repeats itself within the trilogy though. It's not even milking the cash cow, it's just bad writing.

Oh, I know. But at that point, they were making a ton of money selling the same shit over and over. It's an industry where change only happens on-demand, and people just kept buying up the bad work. I was probably as guilty as anyone, thought I do have the excuse of only being about 13 at the time.

It's just one of the many things that has engendered my ire against Lucas over the years. There's just absolutely no oversight of quality, except in cases where people actually like something, and then Lucas works as hard as he can to destroy it. It smacks of the old complaint people would level at politicians, in that the worst always wanted to be the smartest person in the room, and the best wanted to be constantly surrounded by the smartest people. Lucas time and again has proven he wants only two things: creative credit and money.

I think Lucas still wants the critical acclaim. It's just when he doesn't get it, he retreats back to "Well look at all the money I made, so you are wrong!".

And he also wants the money of course.

• Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    George Lucas is a boob.

There, I said it.

But I don't think he's out there to "ruin" his movies because the fans like the old ones. He's just a guy who thinks he could make the OT better. However, he is in fact making the OT much worse by adding in his bullshit. I only hold this opinion for the original special edition... the shit he added into the Blu-Rays is borderline criminal, where I suspect he is still tinkering with shit in the OT /dealwithit. The PT is also god-awful, there's no excuse for movies like that.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Hold on there, slick! You're going to come in to a Star Wars discussion on the internet--in 2012--and start talking about how George Lucas isn't very good?

You've got some balls.

I hate the kotor era more than I hate the pt era. How's that for an opinion?

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Demerdar wrote:
    George Lucas is a boob.

There, I said it.

But I don't think he's out there to "ruin" his movies because the fans like the old ones. He's just a guy who thinks he could make the OT better. However, he is in fact making the OT much worse by adding in his bullshit. I only hold this opinion for the original special edition... the shit he added into the Blu-Rays is borderline criminal, where I suspect he is still tinkering with shit in the OT /dealwithit. The PT is also god-awful, there's no excuse for movies like that.

Lucas has two problems, in my opinion:

a) He threw down his Magnum Opus right out of the gate, and that's basically all he had in him.

b) He got incredibly lazy after hitting his initial home run.

When he started-out, he was hungry for success; he wanted to prove that he could make it in Hollywood while being some no-name guy with a sci-fi script (at a time when science fiction was considered a low-quality genre).

He did it, and that's huge... and then I guess he just ran out of gas. He wasn't hungry for success anymore, but hey - there's all this 'money' stuff that people will give me if I keep crapping out lightsabres and death stars, so why not?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Page- wrote:
    Hold on there, slick! You're going to come in to a Star Wars discussion on the internet--in 2012--and start talking about how George Lucas isn't very good?

You've got some balls.

That is a bad opinion.

KOTOR & KOTOR II are much, much better written than any of the PT films.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Empire is the only worthy bit of the IP.

• Options
    I like RotJ the best, with Empire coming in a close second. RotJ is ridiculously fun.

ANH is also good though.

You're wrong Organichu.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    I hope they get done with that Clone Wars era stuff really soon. I mean how much pointless clone vs robot battles and boring politics happened between eps. 2&3?

Cash in on the success of The Old Republic MMO and make some CGi cartoons out of that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    .red.red caffeine IV Drip CanadaRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed the original 3 (IV-VI)
    But I enjoyed tor era much more; wish I had the time to read more on characters like Exar Kun and Marka Ragnos.

pasig.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I hope they get done with that Clone Wars era stuff really soon. I mean how much pointless clone vs robot battles and boring politics happened between eps. 2&3?

Cash in on the success of The Old Republic MMO and make some CGi cartoons out of that.

I asked in the last thread since I discovered that the Clone Wars got another season in the works after they wrap up the current one (which is in the Back 9 so to speak), but I wonder if the Clone Wars are gonna pull a M*A*S*H and have the series run longer than the event it's based on.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    milathmilath Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    “Why would I make any more,” Lucas says of the “Star Wars” movies, “when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?”

Full article
    Hooray?

Honestly. I don't want him to make anymore. Or change the films he didn't even direct anymore (the RotJ Noooo for instance). I mean, I know they are his IP, but that's like someone paying, say, Michaelangelo a commission for a painted portrait then taking it and drawing his newly grown mustache in black felt-tip pen on it. It's not his work, it's the artist's. Why the hell is he screwing with them? No one likes it. So why is he doing it anyway? I don't think he's a horrible person, I just think he doesn't know when to leave well enough alone and can't take anyone having an opinion that differs from his 'vision'. It really seems to me he's trying to make his horrid prequel trilogy better by making the old ones worse (by adding in more things to make it seem like they 'rhyme' like 'poetry').

That said, I still love the Star Wars universe. Pretty much all the games are great, with KotOR being the best of course. I think there are still good stories to be told in that universe, and I'm grateful to Lucas for giving us that universe, at least in part.

I just wish he could sit back and enjoy the praise. And if there are ever further movies in that universe let someone else do them.

And release the original trilogy without additions on blu-ray, for fuck's sake.

edit: Hm. I actually wasn't aware of a previous thread for this since I don't follow D&D that much, so if someone already posted that article, I apologize for doing so again. :)

milath on
    steam_sig.png
    "No.. I was wrong. This must be what going mad feels like."

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    At least we have Timothy Zahn.

Easily better than half of the films. Not that the other half sets the bar terribly high.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

This is what I would like. I find the universe belonging to I-VI absolutely dull with the central characters even duller. The story's been told over and over and TOR offers something actually refreshing.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I like the X-Wing books.

I feel like any literary criticism I could give on any other book is null and void because of this.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Wasn't there more stuff after Return of the Jedi? I remember reading a book at some point years ago (when I was in high school maybe?) about some kind of invaders and the remnants of the Empire have to work with the newly risen Rebel alliance to push them back out of the area. Something like that. I wonder if they'll ever make those movies.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote:
    At least we have Timothy Zahn.

Easily better than half of the films. Not that the other half sets the bar terribly high.

Agreed. I think he is the best Star Wars writer there is. Luke is not usually an invincible demigod, Leia is a person with faults and virtues, Han's likeable and cunning and the dialogue has snap. He does tend to replicate the feel of the OT, but quite frankly that is why I like him. I like the OT and the style it had, that serial adventure style. Its not very complex writing, but sometimes I just want to sit back and be entertained.

• Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote:
    Page- wrote:

You've got some balls.

That is a bad opinion.

With SW:ToR out, the Old Republic era is actually really, really good.

The Old Republic feels more unified, vibrant, and sensical than anything else Starwars in a long time. Except for the Archtype quests being kinda crazy and some conceits to the medium (go collect 10 droid servos), everything is great. There's so much going on, they could easily make it or the Kotor era a great launching point for movies/books/cartoons/etc.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Someone said something in the last thread that made me think of this, but I'm too lazy to go hunt through the last few pages for a quote.

Basically a problem I have with the PT is that it's set up to show us the origin of Darth Vadar, but in no way does my mind connect Hayden Christensen with Darth Vadar. Not because of the actor, but because the story in the PT does not show how they can be the same character.

You might as well have shown his burned stumpy body being implanted in the Astromech that eventually malfunctions when Uncle Owen tries to buy it. There's about as much connection between the two.

Heck, I'd find it more believable if after being burned he became the Star Wars equivalent of Dark Man instead of Darth Vadar (he even had Liam Neeson there to train him for a while!).

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Lets talk about Count Dooku. Why is it that in ROTJ they can totaly have Vader have his heart change, but then Lucas decides that it is totally cool to make all the prequels riddiculous morality plays without any shades of grey?
    Why can't Dooku actually be a good guy as they imply might possibly be the case? It's a brilliant twist that makes those films so much better. The Jedi's, rather than being all knowing good guys against obviously evil guys, are instead clouded by their own sense of being perfect good guys into destroying the only guy that is going to stop Palpatine.
    It's much less stupid that way. And there is a lesson about hubris.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    zerg rush wrote:
    The Ender wrote:
    Page- wrote:

You've got some balls.

That is a bad opinion.

With SW:ToR out, the Old Republic era is actually really, really good.

The Old Republic feels more unified, vibrant, and sensical than anything else Starwars in a long time. Except for the Archtype quests being kinda crazy and some conceits to the medium (go collect 10 droid servos), everything is great. There's so much going on, they could easily make it or the Kotor era a great launching point for movies/books/cartoons/etc.

The archetype quests are crazy, but crazy in a Star Wars way. Star Wars tends to go big. And while you don't always want that, it can be a lot of fun.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    If we are going to talk about the EU I have to say that Aaron Allston is my favorite author. I've recently reread the X-Wing series and while the Stackpole ones are a little rough after some time I still love Wraith Squadron and how Allston writes.

I'm going to reread the NJO now and I'm only a chapter into Vector Prime and it's already making me sad.

• Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    Page- wrote:

You've got some balls.

What can I say?

I like to think I live life dangerously.

y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Not all of the EU is bad stuff.

The New Jedi Order series was alright, though shitty in some parts. The Legacy of the Force series was probably the best fiction that's been written about Star Wars.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Rumor has it (from local comic shop owner) that the next Star Wars era to be explored in the comics is pre-lightsabers era. Dude said ~30,000 BBY.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    The whole idea of the lightsaber being every Jedi and every Sith's weapon is pretty stupid. Swords are designed to be used by humans or at least someone with a basic humanoid shape, height, and reach. It made no sense for at least 1/3rd of the alien Jedis to be using lightsabers. The way Yoda had to jump around like a frog on crack with his little toy lightsaber is just ridiculous. It would make way more sense for Yoda to either rely only on the Force, or use some projectile weapon, or at least a whip or something with reach.

The Jedi's true weapon is the Force, anything else they use, whether it's swords, whips, blasters, katars, etc., should depend on the individual Jedi's preference.

Heck, Yoda never even trained Luke to use the lightsaber. He only trained in Jedi philosophy and use of the Force.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    George Lucas is net-good because:
    ILM
    Lucasarts

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The whole idea of the lightsaber being every Jedi and every Sith's weapon is pretty stupid. Swords are designed to be used by humans or at least someone with a basic humanoid shape, height, and reach. It made no sense for at least 1/3rd of the alien Jedis to be using lightsabers. The way Yoda had to jump around like a frog on crack with his little toy lightsaber is just ridiculous. It would make way more sense for Yoda to either rely only on the Force, or use some projectile weapon, or at least a whip or something with reach.

The Jedi's true weapon is the Force, anything else they use, whether it's swords, whips, blasters, katars, etc., should depend on the individual Jedi's preference.

Heck, Yoda never even trained Luke to use the lightsaber. He only trained in Jedi philosophy and use of the Force.

I think a problem is that if you block a lightsaber with something that is not a lightsaber, your weapon would be cut in half.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I don't understand why every jedi is a warrior who carries a lightsaber, it's really kind of silly

Lightsaber training should be the mark of a jedi knight, but there have to be jedi doctors, teachers, and philosophers too right? They can't all be warriors just because they're force adept?

override367 on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Honk wrote:
    I think a problem is that if you block a lightsaber with something that is not a lightsaber, your weapon would be cut in half.

But if a Jedi is adept enough in the Force, they can just block lightsabers with telekinesis. The Jedi have been shown to perform incredible feats with the Force. If they can lift giant machinery then they should be able to push a lightsaber away. Not to mention how they could practice focusing their telekinesis so they can break the machinery of lightsabers or mess around with their opponent's internal organs.

• Options
    I don't understand why every jedi is a warrior who carries a lightsaber, it's really kind of silly

Lightsaber training should be the mark of a jedi knight, but there have to be jedi doctors, teachers, and philosophers too right? They can't all be warriors just because they're force adept?

Actually, at least according to SWTOR, there are. And while they have light sabers to signify the training they're not warriors at all.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Yes but in Lucas' star wars they're all lightsaber warriors

That scene with the little kids using lightsabers pissed me off it was so stupid what the fuck

• Options
    edited January 2012

That scene with the little kids using lightsabers pissed me off it was so stupid what the fuck

It didn't seem too bad to me. Kind of how no matter what your job in the military is, you're still trained to use a gun.

But still, yeah, Lucas should not be allowed to touch his own IP.

Quid on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    milath wrote:
    “Why would I make any more,” Lucas says of the “Star Wars” movies, “when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?”

Full article
    Hooray?

ahaha

oh wow, I didn't know it's main stream now to hate on Lucas/Star Wars. Okay, I guess I should read the article first.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Quid wrote:

It didn't seem too bad to me. Kind of how no matter what your job in the military is, you're still trained to use a gun.

The real problem with that scene, as Plinkett points out, is that Obi Wan's blaster-shield and shooty-ball training session seems like an ad-hoc, let's-use-whatever-happens-to-be-on-the-ship thing

and then Lucas turns it into a standard part of Jedi training because you can never have too many references to the OT and every random little thing in the OT has to be significant

wandering on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    wandering wrote:
    Quid wrote:

The real problem with that scene, as Plinkett points out, is that Obi Wan's blaster-shield and shooty-ball training session seems like an ad-hoc, let's-use-whatever-happens-to-be-on-the-ship thing

and then Lucas turns it into a standard part of Jedi training because you can never have too many references to the OT and every random little thing in the OT has to be significant

This happened with everything too.

Robes, Force Lightning, Darth, and a bunch of other things I can't be bothered to think of right now.

Every single thing that showed up in the OT was rebranded as the thing all Jedi/Sith/etc did all the time, instead of being just natural parts of the setting of the movie.

Every single thing that ever appears in the OT becomes a template for some significant thing.

• Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Nocren wrote:

I asked in the last thread since I discovered that the Clone Wars got another season in the works after they wrap up the current one (which is in the Back 9 so to speak), but I wonder if the Clone Wars are gonna pull a M*A*S*H and have the series run longer than the event it's based on.

I wouldn't mind that. The cartoon is amazingly mature at times. Hell, the violence alone would get it knocked off of most normal TV stations.

Someone extremely nerdy should go through every episode and see how many deaths are on-screen in the series so far. I decided to check it out, out of a sense of nostalgia, and in three sittings, noticed:

Many people being stabbed to death, and not in the whole "Oh one stab and you're dead". That one evil gungan chancellor really went to town on his boss.

People being crucified to the ground by electro-staves. People being Grievous.

Clones torching geonosians with flamethrowers.

Geonosians being turned into horrible zombies by having their brains devoured from the inside out

Clone pilots escaping an exploding frigate in an escape pod, only for buzz droids to find them and pop the wind-shield, sucking them into space, helmetless, with them obviously suffocating on-screen as this happens. Prior to it, they're obvious freaking out in the pod and trying to find something to stop the droid, which only ups the "Holy shit, this is gruesome" factor.

Ahsoka getting hit on by a Mandalorian. A female Mandalorian. And being slapped on the ass by the same Mandalorian. On-screen. Ahsoka is a teenager, by the way. I guess in glorious Traviss land, Mandalorians are too ubermensch to care about statutory rape laws.

Anakon/Grievious/Any other morally gray character deciding to remind everyone that no, they are not nice, and, in the case of Grievous, that the snidely whiplash routine is just that. Usually by demonstrating that yes, Grievous is an inhuman killing machine in something akin to this scene. Only the people never even get a chance to fight back in this cartoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3OeWuzyQ1Q

It's a good thing they put this shit on Cartoon Network, because if it was on a channel that adults actually watched they'd probably lose their shit over some of the stuff that goes on in this show.

Edit: I remember reading one novel when I was much younger that pretty much out and out spelled out that Dooku was a good guy. He's a well intentioned extremist, who's being played just as much as he's playing everything else.

Problem is, Palps is well aware of the fact that he can't really trust Dooku. So he gets rid of him via lightsaber beheading. In other news, Anakin is a twit. If he hadn't of killed him, Palps plan would have pretty much fallen apart right then and there.

Archonex on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    My only problem with the Clone Wars is that it never goes anywhere. There are some great standalone stories in the series, but it never feels like it's moving towards Ep. III. The Clone Wars version of Anakin makes up for most of that, though.

I'm curious about the future of SW video games. SWTOR is great for a 1 month old MMO, but the TFU series is kinda shitty. I actually like Starkiller as a character, but the way he's melded into canon is moronic. I think TFU2 had the potential to be a good game (I liked the big monster boss set piece battle), but it felt really, really rushed. It didn't feel any more on rails than the original (TFU had more nooks and crannies, but it was mostly linear, too), but it was way too short, and filled with dumb plot points (Yoda, the Light Side ending).

With all that said, what's next for gamers?

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I liked TFU. It was kind of a rehash of older games and EU stories, but it fit and above all it was a fun game.

TFU2 was like a kick to the nuts of lameness. I think I beat it in about 5 hours.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I was watching some of my Joseph Campbell material, and there's always an inevitable point where a much-younger George Lucas from the 80s stands up to a live audience with Campbell beaming somewhere not so far away, and Lucas claims that without Hero With a Thousand Faces, he'd probably still be working on the original Star Wars and unable to get past it.

I think about that, and how Lucas ended up still working on the original Star Wars and being unable to move past that. I think it's really interesting in a sobering way.

Also, and I say this without any schadenfreude, but I wish there was a way Joseph Campbell could take his critical appraisal to the Prequel and give us the kind of analysis unique to him about what this trilogy ended up really being about.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I liked TFU. It was kind of a rehash of older games and EU stories, but it fit and above all it was a fun game.

TFU2 was like a kick to the nuts of lameness. I think I beat it in about 5 hours.

Yeah, TFU2 was really about a 3rd of a game. I thought that the beginning -> Kota's rescue was actually pretty okay. Then all pacing was thrown out the window and the game ends an hour or so later. It was though the dev team had an 85% finished first chapter and some rough draft level examples for other, larger chapters, and were told to slap it all together for the holiday season.