As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Banjo-Kazooie comeback

• MunroMunro Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Has there been anymore news on this release yet? In terms of a release date or even more screenshots? Isn't this one supposed to be a remake of the first one? That level is definitely Spiral Mountain... Anyway, that video was out with the Perfect Dark Zero one before the 360's release... by this point BK3 might not even look too much like that.

Munro on
  • xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Killa wrote: »
    Mumbo Jumbo is a videogame god. I still have a stuffed Mumbo doll I found at Best Buy.

And, imho, Jinjos are the pinnacle of the Collectathon art form.

...But there's no way I'm buying a 360 just for BK3. Not happening.

I used to have a stuffed mumbo jumbo and a stuffed banjo with kazooie.

I still quote "ee kum oh kum" when I need to make witch doctor sounds.

xxhennersxx on
  • Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Killa wrote: »
    Mumbo Jumbo is a videogame god. I still have a stuffed Mumbo doll I found at Best Buy.

And, imho, Jinjos are the pinnacle of the Collectathon art form.

...But there's no way I'm buying a 360 just for BK3. Not happening.

I used to have a stuffed mumbo jumbo and a stuffed banjo with kazooie.

I still quote "ee kum oh kum" when I need to make witch doctor sounds.

Which seems to come up quite a bit more than you'd think.

Spectral Swallow on
  • SkatDarkstarSkatDarkstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I remember when I got the promo video in the mail, that's what made me get an N64. I was a small child, and I remember being so dumbfounded at all the goodness I was seeing

SkatDarkstar on
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That was a sweet video. Starfox video was even better. Sony and Sega reps locking a fake Mario in a vice for the win.

Jimothy on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is the game that will make me buy a 360. Not Dead Rising, not Halo 3, not Gears of War. Banjo-fucking-Threeie. That is how much I loved the first two.

To me, this is just another reason I want a 360, along with the ones you listed. Too bad I have a mortgage.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    supersloth wrote: »
    As long as it's not another collect-a-thon like every other platformer Rare has ever done I would probably consider getting it. I got so burnt out on picking up every single item the Banjo's and DK had.

Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, and 3 weren't collectathons

The GBA remakes WERE and all the shitty additions were calculated in your completion percentage (BOOOOOO!). Don't kid yourself: Rare equals Fetch Quests. When they made them on SNES, they hadn't invented the Fetch Quest yet. The only N64 games they had when they released DKC3 were Killer Instinct Gold and Blast Corps but the very next one, Diddy Kong Racing, started the slippery slope (though I loved DKR and 100% completed it).

CZroe on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I always wanted to like the Banjo-Kazooie games, but they always bored me to tears. Pity, they seem to be a lot of fun, and the character designs are wonderful. Typically for Rare games on the N64, the graphics were beautiful. I know most people didn't like DK64, but when people mention how Rare pushed the N64's GPU they always mention the BK games and Conker 64. But DK64 was a prime example, also - immense characters and environments, colourful and vibrant, and wonderfully detailed.

Give the game it's due!

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I loved DK64. :(

You all make me sad by bashing it.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    CZroe wrote: »
    As long as it's not another collect-a-thon like every other platformer Rare has ever done I would probably consider getting it. I got so burnt out on picking up every single item the Banjo's and DK had.

The GBA remakes WERE and all the shitty additions were calculated in your completion percentage (BOOOOOO!).

That's not a collectathon. Collectathons are "run back and forth to unlock the next level." Finding extra shit just to 100% it is just them throwing in more stuff.

I loved getting all the coins in Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3. I didn't need to, but I wanted to.

Garlic Bread on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Generally, I'm a big fan of platformers. Rare's? Not so much. Collecting just isn't my thing. I'll take an obstacle course over a grocery list any day.

TheySlashThem on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Raughn wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Yes, Kazooie was better than Tooie. Tooie was laggy and blurry enough to bug me.

Indeed. Rare's downward spiral began in the later days of the N64, when they refused to work within the bounds of the system. Take flight in the ice/fire mountain stage, and the system actually starts to melt while working at 1.5 frames per second.

Actually, Rare ran out of time on Tooie and didn't have the extra month they needed to polish up the framerate. It just barely came out for Christmas, after all.

Yeah, I liked the running between worlds... it made the place just feel more alive. And the random characters in Tooie... the bosses. Ah, the bosses. With parodies of the Zelda intros. Here's a few:

Terry: Disgruntled Pterodactyl Parent
    Weldar: Visually-Impaired Welding Torch
    Klungo: Career-Questioning Minion
    Mr. Patch: Strange Wobbly Inflatable Thing

The last boss just felt so damn epic, too... I loved that fight. Especially when
    Grunty randomly stops fighting to ask you a quiz show question
    Actually, the Grunty fight in Kazooie was almost as epic. I miss that she didn't speak in rhyme in Tooie, though.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    The music in Kazooie was fantastic. I still remember the castle overworld and how it would vary slightly depending on where you were (for example, if you were near the beach entrance it would take on a pirate-y slant).

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pata wrote: »

I thought it was boring, stiff and had way too many characters.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
    edited March 2007
    MikeRyu wrote: »

:cry:

Pata on
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Does anyone have that promotional VHS video Nintendo and Blockbuster sent out? It was voiced over by John Lovitz and had *gasp* first footage of Turok 2!

.....oh, here is is on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v837shutOo

I have the original tape that they sent me in the mail. When I first took it out of the mailbox, I thought they had sent me the actual game, not some stupid promotional video. Oh how excited I was, until I actually thought about it and opened the thing up to find the video.

Geod on
  • superslothsupersloth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Ok, fine, every 3d platformer Rare has ever done.

supersloth on
    elsupersloth.jpg
    muh.
    edited March 2007

Conker wasn't a collectathon.

cloudeagle on
    edited March 2007

The GBA remakes WERE and all the shitty additions were calculated in your completion percentage (BOOOOOO!).

That's not a collectathon. Collectathons are "run back and forth to unlock the next level." Finding extra shit just to 100% it is just them throwing in more stuff.
    Not when they require you to get them for a 100% file and obtaining them requires you to replay levels, go through areas that the bonuses bypassed, play shitty minigames, etc.
    I loved getting all the coins in Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3. I didn't need to, but I wanted to.
    Same here. I made sure to get every Hero coin and Bonus token by the second day. Animal Antics was a bitch. This "fun" you and I experienced is exactly what Rare "noticed" and decided to make an entire game out of... to great success with B-K and great failure with "Bring me some sweet corn!"

CZroe on
    edited March 2007
    Geod wrote: »
    Does anyone have that promotional VHS video Nintendo and Blockbuster sent out? It was voiced over by John Lovitz and had *gasp* first footage of Turok 2!

.....oh, here is is on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v837shutOo

I have the original tape that they sent me in the mail. When I first took it out of the mailbox, I thought they had sent me the actual game, not some stupid promotional video. Oh how excited I was, until I actually thought about it and opened the thing up to find the video.

I remember analyzing mine and picking apart all the differences between it and the final product.
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Oh yes it fucking was. "Just get yourself a ball of poo." "Bring me some sweet corn!"

CZroe on
    edited March 2007

Oh yes it fucking was. "Just get yourself a ball of poo." "Bring me some sweet corn!"

How was that a collectathon? You didn't collect the poo, you had to roll the ball of poo that was RIGHT THERE IN THE PATH to smash the entrance to the poo cavern. You didn't collect the corn, you had to run around and smack them (again, they were RIGHT THERE), then feed them to the Great Mighty Poo.

Much different than collecting some random thing that, effectively, does nothing.

cloudeagle on
    edited March 2007

How was that a collectathon? You didn't collect the poo, you had to roll the ball of poo that was RIGHT THERE IN THE PATH to smash the entrance to the poo cavern. You didn't collect the corn, you had to run around and smack them (again, they were RIGHT THERE), then feed them to the Great Mighty Poo.

Much different than collecting some random thing that, effectively, does nothing.

Semantics. See why I prefer the name, "Fetch Quests?"

CZroe on
    edited March 2007

How are they fetch quests? The objects are RIGHT THERE. The fun comes in rolling the poo or smacking the corn. You don't just play Fed Ex.

cloudeagle on
    edited March 2007

How are they fetch quests? The objects are RIGHT THERE. The fun comes in rolling the poo or smacking the corn. You don't just play Fed Ex.

Oh! I see. The fun was in bringing the bees TO the flower! :roll:

I couldn't feel it. Just like I couldn't feel the humor in... "That's what I call a bowel movement!" (they stressed the wrong part. The importance is that it's what HE calls it as opposed to someone else so "I" should be stressed. I mean, what else would he do to a bowel movement?)

CZroe on
    edited March 2007

I couldn't feel it. Just like I couldn't feel the humor in... "That's what I call a bowel movement!" (they stressed the wrong part. The importance is that it's what HE calls it as opposed to someone else so "I" should be stressed. I mean, what else would he do to a bowel movement?)

That's fine that you don't like the game, just don't call it a collectathon. By your definition, every game that involves picking up and manipulating an object is a collectathon (i.e., all of them).

cloudeagle on
    edited March 2007
    The Mario Sunshine no waterpack parts weren't. And they rocked, a game just like that(a fairly straight path) with enemies and a different background would sell systems. Fact.

Spectral Swallow on
    edited March 2007

That's fine that you don't like the game, just don't call it a collectathon. By your definition, every game that involves picking up and manipulating an object is a collectathon (i.e., all of them).
    And Banjo-Kazooie isn't a collectathon just because the orange that the monkey wants in the first stage is right there? Because the Mombo token you need is in Mumbo's room? Outside under the steps? In the skull-house's eye socket?

It's arguing semantics. Both games feature plenty of both types of collecting. Cash in Conker, Notes in Banjo. And back to the "ball 'o Poo" thing: You didn't bring it and roll it around for fun. You brought it because the game asked you to. Your character even visibly couldn't fathom why else he'd be doing this. The only reason you needed anything in the game to progress is because the programmers made it that way. If lack of motivation is what defines a collect-a-thon, then Conker fits the bill better than most. Also, there is nothing in any collect-a-thon that has no point. You can't go to the next stage in Banjo-Kazooie without getting enough musical notes for instance. You didn't have to get them all, sure, but you damn sure had to get them for an arbitrary reason.

"By your definition, every game that involves picking up and manipulating an object is a collectathon (i.e., all of them)."
    It's actually simple to spot one. A game that is nothing but a string of arbitrary "pick up, bring to proceed" and "collect X amount to proceed" is a Fetch Quest. Conker was almost just a maze of "what do I bring to who next to beat the game?"

CZroe on
  • MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Mario Sunshine no waterpack parts weren't. And they rocked, a game just like that(a fairly straight path) with enemies and a different background would sell systems. Fact.

I maintain that a game like this packaged with Wiis would sell significantly more systems than Wii Sports. You have no idea how many people have come up to me in my store, normal people, who ask me when Mario Galaxy is coming out for the Wii, because, "Wii Sports is fun and all, but I really bought the system for Zelda and Mario."

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2007

And Banjo-Kazooie isn't a collectathon just because the orange that the monkey wants in the first stage is right there? Because the Mombo token you need is in Mumbo's room? Outside under the steps? In the skull-house's eye socket?

It's arguing semantics. Both games feature plenty of both types of collecting. Cash in Conker, Notes in Banjo. And back to the "ball 'o Poo" thing: You didn't bring it and roll it around for fun. You brought it because the game asked you to. Your character even visibly couldn't fathom why else he'd be doing this. The only reason you needed anything in the game to progress is because the programmers made it that way. If lack of motivation is what defines a collect-a-thon, then Conker fits the bill better than most. Also, there is nothing in any collect-a-thon that has no point. You can't go to the next stage in Banjo-Kazooie without getting enough musical notes for instance. You didn't have to get them all, sure, but you damn sure had to get them for an arbitrary reason.

"By your definition, every game that involves picking up and manipulating an object is a collectathon (i.e., all of them)."
    It's actually simple to spot one. A game that is nothing but a string of arbitrary "pick up, bring to proceed" and "collect X amount to proceed" is a Fetch Quest. Conker was almost just a maze of "what do I bring to who next to beat the game?"
    There's a difference. The objects in Conker are clearly laid out for immediate progression. I need to collect these NOW and carry them a short distance to progress. Banjo-Kazooie you have to backtrack to get Jinjos or Jiggies for a door or something. Or you have to collect stuff AHEAD of time so your progress isn't halted.

Also, there wasn't a crapload of collecting in Conker. Cash was basically "This part of the Story is over." I think one part of the game required X dollars and that was basically just allowing you to do the chapters in a non-sequenced manner.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh man. The Mario Sunshine packless stages = <3 .

That's what I want in a platformer. I want the challenge to be getting from point A to point B using dexterity, reflexes, and a little planning.

I loves me virtual jungle-gyms.

TheySlashThem on
  • QuintileQuintile Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

That's what I want in a platformer. I want the challenge to be getting from point A to point B using dexterity, reflexes, and a little planning.

That's why I like Prince of Persia: Sands of Time so much, sweet sweet platforming goodness.

Quintile on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Quintile wrote: »

That's why I like Prince of Persia: Sands of Time so much, sweet sweet platforming goodness.

Aye!

LewieP on
  • DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I hate the word collectathon anymore. It's got a horrible ring to it. I enjoyed collecting in pretty much all of Rare's games up to a point. At that point I would just quit and never finish the game.

The collecting games that people have historically complained about though, were games that required you to pick up an abnormally large number of an object to proceed. Mario Sunshine, for instance, requires you to pass a certain number of stages in a level before it will let you go on to the next one. You're collecting Shines I guess, but it manages to never really feel like you're collecting them. A HUGE HUGE HUGE part of that, is that you don't really have to get all that many of them to open the next world. BK felt like a chore returning to levels because that door you wanted open always required about twice as many jiggies as you had.

Anyway, people can call both collectathons if they want. Hell, you can call Zelda and FF one if you want, since you're constantly trying to get three gems or 6 crystals or whatever. There's a definite balance there. At some point Rare went way way over the line (for me it was asking to collect every fuckin' bear in JFG, my favorite game which I never beat).

DigDug2000 on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I beat JFG! :)

emnmnme on
  • ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    MikeRyu wrote: »

:cry:

Don't worry, I liked it.

My brother tried to stop me from getting it, but I insisted and I enjoyed it muchly.

I used to be able to sing the DK rap by heart, man I was such a dork.

Shurakai on
  • MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DK64 was the epic collectathon. Seeing as you had a ton of shit to collect then taking that times five for each character you really had a collectpalooza.

Didn't stop me from beating it... and getting every goddamn bananna.

It also has a very awesome end boss.

MiserableMirth on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I beat JFG! :)

See, this is the IP i wants something done with.

Fuck everything else Rare, give me a new Jet Force Gemini

Bloods End on
    edited March 2007
    I could never get into JFG myself. Though I did only get it like 3 years ago, so it was way past it's prime. Blast Corps rocked pretty hard though. I'd like another one of those.
    Also, a new 2-D Donkey Kong Country. I'm probably one of the few who liked 3 more than 2 and 1.

Spectral Swallow on
    edited March 2007
    DK64 was the epic collectathon. Seeing as you had a ton of shit to collect then taking that times five for each character you really had a collectpalooza.

Didn't stop me from beating it... and getting every goddamn bananna.

It also has a very awesome end boss.

The game gets super awesome once you unlock the cheats and get infinte everything. :lol:

Pata on
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hated DK64 for one reason and that was the original Donkey Kong arcade (NES) game. When I first played it I kind of excepted that I may just suck at that particular game. However for better or worse I was able to learn I was actually good at the game when it was realeased in Animal Crossing form. I blame the controller I guess. Anyways I never was able to beat DK64 for that reason.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo