As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Banjo-Kazooie comeback

13»

• FinalGamerFinalGamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Aww I loved playing the original game on DK64, that to me was the only GOOD thing about it.

But anyways, BK3 looks damn good, even if it is for 360, and I hope it's gonna be as good as the old games...now that yanno, all the good talent left Rare to make Free Radical, right?

FinalGamer on
    "Videogames are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n' roll." - Shigeru Miyamoto
    dancingmagels1.gif
    Attack
    Magic > Breakdance 2
    Item
    Flee
  • RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dritz wrote: »
    I hated DK64 for one reason and that was the original Donkey Kong arcade (NES) game. When I first played it I kind of excepted that I may just suck at that particular game. However for better or worse I was able to learn I was actually good at the game when it was realeased in Animal Crossing form. I blame the controller I guess. Anyways I never was able to beat DK64 for that reason.

DK64 featured the full arcade version of Donkey Kong. Animal Crossing contained the NES version, which is missing an entire level. For that reason alone, the NES/AC version is easier, and it may be easier still because of slight gameplay changes in the port (I cannot recall if that is the case).
    DK64 was the epic collectathon. Seeing as you had a ton of shit to collect then taking that times five for each character you really had a collectpalooza.

Didn't stop me from beating it... and getting every goddamn bananna.

I found everything with the exception of ten red bananas in the haunted castle level. Every couple of years, when I come across DK64, I play it for a little bit, look around for those bananas, fail, and shut it off. An odd tradition I have with a game that I mostly dislike.

Raughn on
  • MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Raughn wrote: »
    I found everything with the exception of ten red bananas in the haunted castle level. Every couple of years, when I come across DK64, I play it for a little bit, look around for those bananas, fail, and shut it off. An odd tradition I have with a game that I mostly dislike.

Oh shit, I meant the golden banans, all 201 of them, not the regular bananas. Wow, you got all of them but ten? You sir, are a fucking inspiration. Good luck with those last ten bananas.

MiserableMirth on
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I didn't realize it was the arcade version in DK64 (why I put NES in brackets) that sort of explains why I found it harder then other versions I've played. But I usually failed on the first or second level both of which (I think) were in AC. I still blame the N64 controller... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm really game to give this franchise another shot. I thought the first one was magnificent, but the second epitomized the horror of the item search gone wrong. Well, not as much as DK64, but it was still bad.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • RolloutRollout Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm not sure what other genre that Rare could pull this franchise out of (beside racing) than a new platforming collect-a-thon. I look forward to this game being another collect-a-thon, as I enjoy collect-a-thons and fetch quests alike a lot. Every single star, colored banana, music notes, colored gem or tv remote, I'll have fun trying to find them all. DK64 was my favorite game at my peak of collecting addiction. The only bad thing I see with them is that there's usually nothing to do when you 100% completed them but to start over, until you get to learn about a secret within the game. Rare's games usually have very nice hidden secrets, though. Hope this game will be decent and especially longer than Grunty's Revenge.

Rollout on
  • Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My problem with Donkey Kong 64, was you couldn't erase the data on a cart. I'm one of those people that likes to start from 100% scratch, and I could only find this game used, and as a result, never even started it.

Spectral Swallow on
    edited March 2007
    My problem with Donkey Kong 64, was you couldn't erase the data on a cart. I'm one of those people that likes to start from 100% scratch, and I could only find this game used, and as a result, never even started it.
    Uh? You could delete save data by choosing the orange grenade at the Choose Your Save screen with the 3 save slots.

The problem with the cart is that it may mess and start saving any progress you make regardless every second even if you don't actually save. I never had to save because of this, but it was kind of useless since you have infinite lives.

Rollout on
  • Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You could delete the files, but not the extra stuff you got within the files. Like cheats and stuff.

Spectral Swallow on
    edited March 2007
    You could delete the files, but not the extra stuff you got within the files. Like cheats and stuff.
    Ah, right. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Rollout on
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Banjo-Kazooie on the 360 will force me to buy one.

I LOVED those games. Maybe more than any other game ever.

noobert on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    CZroe wrote: »
    My brother and I are likely the ones that coined "Fetch Quest." After playing B-K, we came up with this and promoted it heavily for the new genre. I remember even emailing Gabe & Tycho when they were talking about new sub-genres like "Destination Driving."

Back then, we didn't use it negatively. After DK64, Conker, Star Fox Adventures, etc, it became an insult. B-K was something new and different so it totally didn't matter. It grandfathered Banjo-Tooie in as a Fetch-Quest that actually doesn't suck (the humor was great).

I remember the term fetch-quest from long before Banjo Kazooie, and I never heard it used as a game genre, just a description of activities within a game.

Evander on
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I loved DK64 for one huge reason

And that reason was Jetpack

I loved that damn game

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just a thought, though:

When a game forces you to run around collecting mindless stuff, I can see how that is a turn off, but when you can beat the game without it, it's just extra added on, I don't see why people bitch about that. Why do you care about getting 100% completion in a game if you don't enjoy playing it? Play all of the stuff you like, and then move on to another game.

Freaking out about needing 100% completion, even though you don't enjoy the gameplay, seems pretty unhealthy to me.

Evander on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I greatly enjoyed the first BK (almost to the level of Mario 64, I guess), but BT was a fucking chore for me. I hated about everything in this game, and eventually stopped playing somewhere between the factory and dinosaur level. The game was just too much packed with shitty minigames and collectables, and I thought the level design was horrible (at least compared to BK).

Alfred J. Kwak on