As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Interview preparation?

DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Hoping some PA folk can help me out here. So, In about a week, I'm interviewing for a Probation Technician position (essentially assist probation officers/probation departments doing office work, etc.) and want to try my hardest not to fuck it up. Anyways, I have a little experience with interviews now, I've interviewed 3 times for probation officer; twice with the same department, did pretty good on the first one, not so good on the second, judging by the fact that after the second interview, they told me I wasn't going to be continuing on to the background investigation and the other interview with a different department went about as terrible as one could go (basically it was a very short interview where I couldn't come up with anything to say and to be completely honest, it was not my ideal job due to being a position within a juvenile detention facility). Having said that, I'm hoping I can nail this interview, so is there anyone out there with general tips about preinterview preparation or jitters?

I'm currently reading up on the county and attempting to find out anything else that might help. Just not sure what all I should be looking for.

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
Drakeon on

• ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    Come up with good answers to all of these questions. Make the short and to the point, and practice them until you've got them down. Record yourself so that you can hear yourself talk -- it'll help you identify bad habits or stumbles.

Research the organization, which it already seems like you're doing. It's a major point in your favor if you can demonstrate that you care enough about the position to read up about it on your own. Even little things, like knowing a bit about your interviewer and his/her position or professional history, will help you out.

Be honest, but not too honest. Most interviewers won't like you if you're being a blatant kissass or lying through your teeth. All the same, you really don't want them to find out anything bad about you, even on the dreaded "tell me about your biggest weakness/failure" type questions. The correct answer to those is "I once did [x] and I immediately learned my lesson, and my efforts to fix the problem helped me to grow professionally in a, b, c ways." The incorrect answer is something too honest, like "I am easily frustrated."

3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I've done several interviews and I've had some good ones, and some bad ones. I have found that the best interviews I've had, ones where I get called in for a follow up or get an offer, are ones where I was able to add to to the interview, and show how I could help them in future directions.

For example I once interviewed for a warehouse manager position and I made suggestions on schedule optimization and how to expand business to other markets.

• DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    Thanks for the advice guys. Been researching all i can on the rather small department.

• wonkaincwonkainc Registered User regular
    Ask them questions. Realistic ones about what it's like to work there. What are the hardest parts and the easiest parts. Open ended questions that make them think.

Don't lie, and if you're not good at thinking on your feet be up front and honest instead of persuasive. They're gonna figure out if you're lying when/if they hire you anyway.

Never forget that they are people too. Just like you. Same fears, insecurities and confidence level. If you don't think so, they're a better liar than you.

Also, an interview is the one place where "bragging" is okay. So long as its truthful. Don't be afraid to make strong claims about things you're good at.

• DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    wonkainc wrote:
    Ask them questions. Realistic ones about what it's like to work there. What are the hardest parts and the easiest parts. Open ended questions that make them think.

Don't lie, and if you're not good at thinking on your feet be up front and honest instead of persuasive. They're gonna figure out if you're lying when/if they hire you anyway.

Never forget that they are people too. Just like you. Same fears, insecurities and confidence level. If you don't think so, they're a better liar than you.

Also, an interview is the one place where "bragging" is okay. So long as its truthful. Don't be afraid to make strong claims about things you're good at.

I seem to have a problem bragging, like, i don't know how to bring it up naturally or without it being completely stilted. For example: at the end of an interview I had (which didn't go great), I was asked if there was anything else I wanted to add, and I said I just wanted to note that I did graduate magna cum laude, but it sounded really stupid, to me at least. It didn't sound right, not to say it can't sound right. I just don't know how to bring it up naturally.

• jamesrajamesra Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Drakeon wrote:
    wonkainc wrote:

I seem to have a problem bragging, like, i don't know how to bring it up naturally or without it being completely stilted. For example: at the end of an interview I had (which didn't go great), I was asked if there was anything else I wanted to add, and I said I just wanted to note that I did graduate magna cum laude, but it sounded really stupid, to me at least. It didn't sound right, not to say it can't sound right. I just don't know how to bring it up naturally.

Almost every interview I've been on has opened or closed --but usually opened-- with a bit about "tell us about yourself" or "why do you think we should hire you" or such. That's where to do most of your non-specific bragging. You obviously don't want to sound stilted, which as advice is right up there with "be yourself" since by the time you can follow that advice easily you don't really need it. Still, in my experience (on both sides of the desk) its okay for that best-of-me bit to be a little more rehearsed than the more specific questions.

The other, generic and only sort of helpful interview advice I've got is too remember that an interview is a too way street. Its really easy to fall into the trap of wanting them to like you so much that you forget to ask yourself if you like them. [1] Don't be an asshole, because you should never be an asshole unless you're really sure its the right response, but do remember that for all they want to figure out if you're a good fit for them, you also want to make sure they're a good place for you.

[1]Interestingly, although perhaps not surprisingly, the other place that this is often an issue is on first dates. It took me forever to figure out that getting a second date with someone who was terrible for me wasn't an accomplishment.

"Everything in war is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end by producing a kind of friction. . . . This tremendous friction . . . is everywhere in contact with chance, and brings about effects that cannot be measured, just because they are largely due to chance" Carl Von Clausezwitz. (1832),