As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help Requested: TV Stand/Game Holder Thing

smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Ok so heres the deal. I just moved into a new place with my wife. Our last situation was we had a bedroom for a couple of months at my parents house since we just moved to the area.

The new place we have is great lots of room and stuff, only problem is we don't really have a TV stand or entertainment unit. Little back story. I have an LCD that we hung on the wall with a pretty nice wall mount so I guess I don't really need a TV stand but somewhere to hold the DVD Player the Surround Sound receiver (when we buy one) and my 360. It doesn't have to have a TV area so it could just be shelves or something but it has to look "nice." The wife would prefer something in black since that matches her "decor" but we aren't too picky. Sliding doors and/or cabinets are a plus, same with having somewhere to put my game cases as well.

Any help or suggestions on where to look would be awesome. Thanks in advance guys.

smokmnky on

• Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    While doors and cabinets look nice, it's probably better for the health of your 360 to not be put into an enclosed space like that.

The best advice I got for TV stands was to stay out of the electronics stores. Places like Best Buy and Circuit City would be selling stands for $200 and up, but I'd see a similar one at Ikea for $80.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    icebergiceberg Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    iceberg on
  • Options
    antifoodantifood Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    What is your price range?

antifood on
  • Options
    VacuumJockeyVacuumJockey Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ah, yes -- the all-important Wife Acceptancy Factor (WAF). IKEA would be a good place to start off your search. As BubbaT so rightly says, electronics need cooling, so you have to be sure your equipment doesn't run hot before you put it in an enclosed media cabinet.

Could something like this do the job? It's actually meant to be painted, if natural wood ain't your style.

Storing your media can easily be done in regular bookcases, and all your loose cables, controllers, and so on will look a lot less messy if you put them in one or more nice storage boxes in that same bookcase.

Take your S.O. for at little meatball snack at the IKEA foodcourt -- you'll have fun, I guarantee! :)

VacuumJockey on
    PSN: VacuumJockey

"Laugh while you can, monkey-boy!"
    ~ Dr. Emilio Lizardo
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I looked around Ikea's site and didn't see anything really interesting. I guess I'll just have to head over that way and see what she likes. Painting won't be a problem I don't think but I really don't care what it is as long as its functional.

As for price range anything around $200 is fine I think, $200 being the top end but I'd rather only spend around $80

smokmnky on
  • Options
    SansaaraiSansaarai Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Try Target. I have a nice entertainment unit to hold all my stuff for under $200.

Sansaarai on
    TwoModernMonkeys.com
    NoodlePants.png
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have this media cart from Crate & Barrel :
    http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=1152&f=10257

I love that it's on wheels because it seems like I have to often get behind the TV/consoles. It's super classy in person, especially if you buy little baskets and treys to put your games/controllers in so they're not laying about.

It also has matching media shelves for DVDs and such. I couldn't be happier with the purchase.

edit: oh I just saw your top end of $200. Nevermind =)

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    edited February 2007

I love that it's on wheels because it seems like I have to often get behind the TV/consoles. It's super classy in person, especially if you buy little baskets and treys to put your games/controllers in so they're not laying about.

It also has matching media shelves for DVDs and such. I couldn't be happier with the purchase.

Another $50 to keep the Mrs. happy is a small price to pay :)

I actually really like the look of that, not sure how she'd feel but I'll add it to the list.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    SamuelSamuel Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Could something like this do the job? It's actually meant to be painted, if natural wood ain't your style.
    Oh man. That thing has the same name as the Swedish guy I work with.

Brilliant.

Samuel on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    smokmnky wrote: »

I actually really like the look of that, not sure how she'd feel but I'll add it to the list.

If you like I can take a picture of mine at home so you get a feel for how it looks "in the wild" :P

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    smokmnky wrote: »

If you like I can take a picture of mine at home so you get a feel for how it looks "in the wild" :P

That would be awesome

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ok the pictures aren't that good because the lighting in my apartment sucks, but here goes:

IMG_4625.jpg
    IMG_4626.jpg
    IMG_4635.jpg
    IMG_4636.jpg

The cart has dvd storage on both sides. You can put the center divider board down the center, but that makes it a bit too small for the larger home theater components (of which we have none) or you can stagger it like in the crate and barrel picture.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Thanks for those pics, it looks sweet we may have to go that way. Damn you and you making me want to spend $250.

:)

smokmnky on