As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lumines Plus (PS2) : more digital crack, less need for PSP

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
lunimespluseboxart_60w.jpg

lumines-plus-full.jpg

I've been interested in this game since I knew it existed, despite my lack of a PSP(which might go on for a while), because anything Tetsuya Mizuguchi touches generally turns to gold.

It's basically a hybrid puzzle/music game, and the skins/backgrounds are in sync to the music(created with each movement of pieces).

To be expected from the man responsible for Rez and Space Channel 5.

Anyway, so it finally has a PS2 version, $19.99 at that, so I finally got into the addiction.

My favorite song is still the first(Shinin'), but I've only unlocked about... nine skins so far, 14 counting VS. Cpu mode.

Are there any awesome ones waiting down the line that its worth fighting for?

And how's the sequel? Because if that doesn't reach the PS2, it'll be one of the first things I get whenever I do get a PSP(which I will, eventually).

Also, puzzle mode is nuts. I can't even solve the first one('Small Cross - three across, supported by one in the center with one above it, and adjacent blocks have to be different colors).

What gets me is trying to clear out the bottom level without clearing the support center.

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Question: I've heard that all the licensed music is gone, yes or no?

AlphaTwo on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Was there licensed music in the first place? I had no idea.

As far as I can tell, it's all original. Jazz, hiphop, techno... the only vocal song I've heard at all is Shinin'.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think Licensed music was only Lumines 2 and Lumines Live.

Lumines 2 isn't very great. I got it to feed my addiction, but the songs are just.....less interesting. Less atmospheric.

HadjiQuest on
    edited February 2007
    "Shinin'" is one.

AlphaTwo on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    That's what I figured. How fun would Rez be if you were blowing things out of the sky to Gwen Stefani and Missy Elliott?

Though it'd be different, sure...

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    That's what I figured. How fun would Rez be if you were blowing things out of the sky to Gwen Stefani and Missy Elliott?

I got it just so I could block stuff up to my favorite New Order song, but... it's like the last track.

I'll never be that good.

HadjiQuest on
  • The_DcipleThe_Dciple Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I caved recently and purchased Lumines Live instead for my 360.

Still can't tell if I made the right choice or not.

The_Dciple on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Rez has got licensed music.

ben0207 on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The_Dciple wrote: »
    I caved recently and purchased Lumines Live instead for my 360.

Still can't tell if I made the right choice or not.

You did. It looks better, sounds better and has more skins than the ps2 version (IIRC)

Vincent Grayson on
    edited February 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »

Rez has got licensed music.

Of course, but it's hardly mainstream.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    And the xbox live version becomes even less appealing to me now. 20 is a bargain for a physical copy. Not so much for the live version I can't bring easily to a friends or sell back.

solsovly on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Having just recently purchased a PSP, I can attest to the fact that Lumines is mindblowing. I don't know how it would work with licensed songs, though -- I like the fact that I don't have any preconceptions about the music, so it's just a mindless, trancey backbeat for me to combine blocks to.

I can't talk of anything past the original, but speaking of Lumines as a series, the gameplay is fucking solid, and the gameplay-audio integration is easily on par with Meteos, although I would still give Meteos the edge. It's great on the PSP because, it being a portable system, you're much more likely to be wearing headphones -- so you're essentially plugged in to the womb of audio/visual stimulation via umbilical cord.

It took me a while for the gameplay hook (forming squares) to sink in, but after the first hour of play I was addicted.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited February 2007
    It's strange that I've gotten bored with this game because I got too good at it.

A little part of the charm went away as soon as I realized that I can't lose unless I really want to. The only reason I haven't bothered with getting up to one million is because of how long it takes to get there. By the time I reached 500,000 my eyes were bleeding.

The_Dciple on
    edited February 2007
    How many skins are there?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ValernosValernos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So does anyone know what the differences are between Lumines PSP, Lumines PS2, and Lumines Live? I have Lumines PSP already, and I'd like to how much new stuff is in the PS2 version, and how that new stuff compares to the Live vesrion.

Valernos on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    AlphaTwo wrote: »
    "Shinin'" is one.
    Out of all the songs... Why shinin? Shake your body should have been in there.

I hear that multiplayer doesn't have any of the slowdown experienced in other versions, although the graphics don't look as sharp.

FreddyD on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Valernos wrote: »
    So does anyone know what the differences are between Lumines PSP, Lumines PS2, and Lumines Live? I have Lumines PSP already, and I'd like to how much new stuff is in the PS2 version, and how that new stuff compares to the Live vesrion.

I know that all songs with vocals were taken out for Live. So Shinin and Shake Your Body aren't in there, among others, I assume.

Renzo on
    edited March 2007
    The_Dciple wrote: »
    It's strange that I've gotten bored with this game because I got too good at it.

A little part of the charm went away as soon as I realized that I can't lose unless I really want to. The only reason I haven't bothered with getting up to one million is because of how long it takes to get there. By the time I reached 500,000 my eyes were bleeding.
    That was what my sessions with the PSP version taught me.

As a puzzle game, it's not really deep or interesting. It's only because of the flashyness and it's music that made it special.

AlphaTwo on
  • GinkoGinko Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This was the reason I initially picked up a psp and turned out to be the only game I really played on it. My psp is just a dust magnet now.

Puzzle mode is great and really extends the replay value of the game.
    Also, puzzle mode is nuts. I can't even solve the first one('Small Cross - three across, supported by one in the center with one above it, and adjacent blocks have to be different colors).

What gets me is trying to clear out the bottom level without clearing the support center.

A hint: use an "L" block and a "X" block. "L" meaning a block with 3 of one color and "X" meaning 2 of each color arranged like an X.

Also, does the Lumines Live version come with puzzle mode?

Ginko on
    Sofar0cker.png
    edited March 2007
    It has the first five or ten levels of it in the basic version with the rest of the set for 150 or 200 points; something around there. Same with the "VS. CPU" mode.

The_Dciple on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Huh. I've been waiting for this to come out for so long, that I'm not sure I care any more with so many other good games that have come out/are coming out at this time.

... I might get it, I guess, eventually.

slash000 on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've been interested in this game since I knew it existed, despite my lack of a PSP(which might go on for a while), because anything Tetsuya Mizuguchi touches generally turns to gold.
    Ninety-Nine Nights disagrees with you. ;-)

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Valernos wrote: »

From what I've heard, Lumines Live is the highest quality home version of the game thanks to sharper graphics and more songs overall (assuming you buy all the expansion packs). Lumines PS2 is the cheapest version of the game and has Shinin (which is missing from the XBLA version). And Lumines PSP is, well, your portable version.

RainbowDespair on
  • BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I assume this has a 2-player mode? I could use a fresh puzzle game to play with my roommate or my girlfriend. And everyone that has touched my copy of Meteos has loved it, so I think they'd get a kick out of this too.

Ballman on
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'll never get the intense hype surrounding this game. It seems like a pretty standard puzzle game to me.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited March 2007
    I'll never get the intense hype surrounding this game. It seems like a pretty standard puzzle game to me.

The audio/visual part of it is really where the appeal lies, IMO.

edit: Which, I might add, is why the various free homebrew versions that replicate the gameplay aren't very fun at all.

Vincent Grayson on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Stupid question: how does one pronounce Lumines?

SteevL on
    edited March 2007
    SteevL wrote: »

I've always said loo-min-ess (or ez)

Vincent Grayson on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SteevL wrote: »

I've always said loo-min-ess (or ez)

That's what I've thought too. I had a co-worker last year pronounce it as "loo-mines" (2 syllables).

Anyway, I've been interested in the game too, but I didn't want to get a PSP. At $20, I don't think I can go wrong with it.

SteevL on
    edited March 2007

I'll play it on general principle, eventually.

I'm almost surprised killing the enemies doesn't create music.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2007

I'll play it on general principle, eventually.

I'm almost surprised killing the enemies doesn't create music.

99 Nights isn't bad, it's just not particularly amazing. I think that is largely owed to the fact that it was developed not by Mizuguchi or any of his "team" so much as he oversaw the development, and I believe it was the guys who did the Kingdom Under Fire games on the XBOX that developed it.

It's still kinda fun though, and very pretty.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited March 2007
    OK. I just bought it. $24.99 Canadian.

From what I recall, it feels and looks just like the PSP version. So, same great flavour, same great taste.

I may try it on my HD next week and tell you how that goes. Doesn't look like it has a widescreen/prog scan option.

AlphaTwo on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There at times I know for a fact that Lumines is the only reason to be alive.

projectmayhem on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    AlphaTwo wrote: »
    OK. I just bought it. $24.99 Canadian.

From what I recall, it feels and looks just like the PSP version. So, same great flavour, same great taste.

I may try it on my HD next week and tell you how that goes. Doesn't look like it has a widescreen/prog scan option.

No widescreen or progressive scan, but it looks fine. Rendering squares really can't look horrible no matter what screen you use.

Also, I'm glad Shinin' is there, but where the fuck did Shake your Body go?

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    it's the only game I play on the 360 right now.. it's such a fun game.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I got Lumines on my mobile for 99p. Actually I get £5 free of games a month, so I got it totally free. It's rather good even on a mobile. :)

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera