As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

EVE War newsreel: the discussioning

darleysamdarleysam On my way toUKRegistered User regular
edited March 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
right, there's been a fair bit of talk about making some kind of newsreel to document the Eve war. This thread is here to recruit people to the cause, throw ideas around over what people want to see, and work out how we're going to do it.

The current idea i'm toying around with, is one of a short 5-6 minute video comprised mostly of FRAPS'd footage taken from in-game ops, with a 'newsreader' voiced-over report, explaining what has been taking place. The content would be both reports from actual in-game operations (we're not in the business of making-up the news here), as well as a general overview of how Coalition forces are doing (since most people on the forums seem to be from that particular side, myself included).

Regarding style, everyone wants old-timey war reports. Fallout, StarCraft, Starship Troopers, any WW2 news reports of "our boys on the front-lines", Futurama (no, not Morbo), and that kind of thing. Yes, that's a whole mixed-bag of styles and eras, but it should give you an idea of what we're leaning towards, and is partly why this thread is here; to work out what to do, and what not to do. Combat footage may well be presented in crackly old lo-fi style to match.

So, to make this work, we need people and ideas. There's a lot of room to change that whole idea if it looks good and can be made to work.
Regarding a production team, we'll need people who are actively involved in war ops, that can record some HUD-less footage and submit a report of what is actually taking place, objectives, how it turned out etc.
Writers (i'll take one post) will be needed to turn these reports into something for the newsreaders to read, and then the whole thing will need to be edited and given a decent coat of post-production. I've probably left a few details out here, and again, this whole concept and process is subject to change as ideas come out. That's just an overview of where things seem to be at at the moment.
Go!

forumsig.png
darleysam on

• JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Jinnigan wrote: »

regarding this post here, i guess that sort of thing would depend on the style we go for. If it's going to be all greyscale crackly old-style footage, would an animated 3d map jar a bit? On the other hand, if we find a middle ground between Starship Troopers (which was clearly modern, but captured the old style) andthe older, low-tech stuff, it might well fit.

edit: by that, i mean i like the idea, but it would suck to go to all that effort and have it look wrong.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited February 2007
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v5QCGqDYGo

You can see where/how they use maps and stuff - so it'll be a matter of stylizing our map to the same kind of style.

That being said, I don't think a 3D map (if done right) would be too jarring - after all, everyone that matters knows EVE takes place in 3D.

Jinnigan on
    edited February 2007
    Jinnigan wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v5QCGqDYGo

You can see where/how they use maps and stuff - so it'll be a matter of stylizing our map to the same kind of style.

That being said, I don't think a 3D map (if done right) would be too jarring - after all, everyone that matters knows EVE takes place in 3D.

true:p
    i like that the bell at the start says "Liberty.. the ass" (watching the rest now)
    okay, so if we can make that map work, i think i'll be all for it. I've got some slight 3d-modelling experience, but not a great deal. Again, if there's someone out there who can whip that sort of thing up in a hurry, or could knock it together in a Freespace editor, that'd be spiffy.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited March 2007
    http://www.grauswein.net/sa/lp/SM204_cbrief.avi

better starmap.

Do we have anyone else interested in this? Wasn't Maim going to do voices?

Jinnigan on
    edited March 2007
    i can try and get Fraps in the next couple of days and grab some footage, write some stuff up and see how that goes, if people want. At least get something together to see how it looks

darleysam on
    forumsig.png