As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Android Games!

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Getting into Tap Titans 2. This newbie clan I joined just to be in a clan for bonus damage seems to be DOA. Anyone in a decently active clan that wouldn't mind a newbie? I still haven't even prestiged yet, just on stage 95, but I'm pretty hooked on it and playing it actively.

edit: actually, found a decent one!

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Hmm, I beat Solitairica a while ago, but I guess cause I did it underground it didn't give me the cheevo for it?

Lame.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    So Titan Quest is on sale today in the Google Play Store. It's only 5$/€ now.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Now how in the world would you play Titan Quest on a phone?

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I don't know if anyone still plays but I am getting into Marvel Puzzle Quest on my Kindle Fire 8. If anyone wants to join up I started an Alliance called "Pax Arcadia"

• Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    I don't know if anyone still plays but I am getting into Marvel Puzzle Quest on my Kindle Fire 8. If anyone wants to join up I started an Alliance called "Pax Arcadia"

Stop now please. MPQ, uggggh. @Spoit

Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yes. Seriously. Quit while you're ahead. It doesn't get better.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular

Joined.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    urahonky wrote: »
    Now how in the world would you play Titan Quest on a phone?

It is fantastic for tablets and large phones.

Aldo on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I agree it exists, but it's a sad state of affairs that such games are rare and if they exist, nearly unfindable.

The appstores combine into something like $35 Billion dollars now (As always 5:1 towards Apple)
    That's about on par with console + PC AAA gaming.

You would think it could support a set of fresh challenging games with ease and consistency.

Yet it's anot endless of gacha games, F2P / P2W clash of clan clones, tap/idle games, match 3 puzzlers and inch deep reskin jrpgs.

I even like jrpgs to an extent but the only interesting mobile only one I ever played was Doom & Destiny (with its cringeworthy 'satire' story but it is fun mechanically and has a decent xp / loot economy that keeps it engaging)

Lack of good controls, reliance on IAP, which relies upon time or action restrictions on play to drive revenue and the whale model where you only make money on a very small percentage of players condemns the mobile platform to derivatives IMO

About the only thing the platform has going for it is multitouch can be an interesting control scheme and people always have their phones with them

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Whoever recommended Gems of War, you're a monster.

Also, thank you!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Phyphor wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I agree it exists, but it's a sad state of affairs that such games are rare and if they exist, nearly unfindable.

The appstores combine into something like $35 Billion dollars now (As always 5:1 towards Apple)
    That's about on par with console + PC AAA gaming.

You would think it could support a set of fresh challenging games with ease and consistency.

Yet it's anot endless of gacha games, F2P / P2W clash of clan clones, tap/idle games, match 3 puzzlers and inch deep reskin jrpgs.

I even like jrpgs to an extent but the only interesting mobile only one I ever played was Doom & Destiny (with its cringeworthy 'satire' story but it is fun mechanically and has a decent xp / loot economy that keeps it engaging)

Lack of good controls, reliance on IAP, which relies upon time or action restrictions on play to drive revenue and the whale model where you only make money on a very small percentage of players condemns the mobile platform to derivatives IMO

About the only thing the platform has going for it is multitouch can be an interesting control scheme and people always have their phones with them

The thing is, none of those elements are issues with mobile as a platform, apart from perhaps the controls thing. Even then, that's going to just depend on the genre; a Tactics-type, a board game style thing, etc will be just fine with touch UI.

What's a giant issue is that people on mobile are, and there's no good way to put this, cheap bastards. They make Scrooge McDuck look like a paragon of generosity. There is an absolute, dug-in-heels unwillingness to pay above 99 cents to MAYBE 1.99 for a game, no matter how involved, elaborate, full-featured, or lengthy, just because it's "a phone game". I mean Monument Valley took untold reams of shit for being what, 3.99? Monolith Valley is some of the best gaming I've had in years; it's amazing, but "lol 3.99 ripoff".

So, since nobody wants to "buy" a game--and even if you're about to say you would, the reality in evidence is that most won't--we're left with "free", and if your game is free and you like to maybe make money, it's IAP or advertising time, and all the design requirements that go along with.

It sucks. I have no idea what to do about it.

dporowski on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I'm assuming you mean Monument Valley, and I felt it was not worth the money. It was extremely short and required very little thinking in getting through it. I think I finished it in about an hour, maybe less.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I play mostly puzzle games on my phone or Fire HD8. Are there any good puzzle games like the Zero Escape games to check out? Stuff like Zero Escape, Phoenix Wright, or Professor Layton would be nice to have on my tablet.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I play mostly puzzle games on my phone or Fire HD8. Are there any good puzzle games like the Zero Escape games to check out? Stuff like Zero Escape, Phoenix Wright, or Professor Layton would be nice to have on my tablet.

Only the worst Phoenix Wright is available on android for some reason. iOS has all of them AND Ghost Trick. It's super unfair.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I'm assuming you mean Monument Valley, and I felt it was not worth the money. It was extremely short and required very little thinking in getting through it. I think I finished it in about an hour, maybe less.

There are a giant list of games on Steam that people sing the praises of that are just like that, Dear Esther being the canonical example. The only difference is they're not on a phone. Personally, I thought MV was charming, graphically simple yet very enjoyable, quite relaxing, and engaging without being stressful. Totally worth my money. Also had some of the best sound design in relation to gameplay I've seen in a very long time.

Unless we as consumers/the industry figure out what to do with this "phone therefore a dollar" thing, though, it's bleak.

Anyway, to stay topical, if the Room games are on Android, they'd be nice on a Fire/tablet. I wasn't as into the 2nd/3rd ones, but it's not a knock on them mechanically or anything, just my taste.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    For me, it's that the difference in quality between a well-made freemium game and a well-made paid app is negligible. I've been disappointed by very well-reviewed paid games like The Room, Monument Valley, Avadon: The Black Fortress, and Baldur's Gate, among others. Meanwhile, I've sunk dozens to hundreds of hours into freemium games like Terra Battle, Robot Unicorn Attack, Gems of War, and Zen Koi.

It's a risk/reward thing. If I try a free app and I don't like it, all I've lost is time. If I try a paid app and I don't like it, I'm also out a few bucks. Paid apps also have a higher bar to clear, in that I expect them to be at least as much fun as my favorite freemium apps in order to justify the price. So if a game bills itself as the next Myst, but then turns out to be The Room, I'm going to be a little miffed... and I'm going to remember that next time a game asks me for money upfront.

I would think paid apps would have more success if they offered a free demo with the option to unlock the full game, but so few of them do that I can only assume it's a disadvantage somehow. With freemium, I don't buy premium currency as a matter of principle; but I'll happily throw a few bucks in to support the developers if I like the game enough.

• Options
    Huh, they appear to have patched Solitairica to make it slightly harder? Certain spells have been added/removed/had their costs increased. There's now an enemy whose cards are all gold, which is good for your wallet but makes getting mana more difficult.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So reading about Caves of Qud, are there any roguelikes out there that are the turn based wonders of storytelling, but maybe with a less obtuse interface, for android?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

The Room 1 - 3 are all fantastic. I'm playing Spotlight Room Escape and it's also pretty great so far, although I'm currently stuck on one of the later chapters and trying to avoid looking at walk-throughs.

It's stupidly easy (like a nice afternoon waster) but Hidden My Game By Mom 1 & 2 are both pretty fun room based puzzlers.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Mario Run! March 23rd!

ahdXBJz.png

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I played through There Is No Game last week. It's a really short, free little game that made me laugh more than once. If you have 15 minutes to spare, you should play it.

• Options
    Played through both "hidden my game by mom" games. Cute.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Super Mario Run is super good you guys!

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Meh

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    I have it, but it's not exactly grabbing me.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm really not feeling super Mario run either, dunno why but it's just not clicking.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Super Mario Run is super good you guys!

I hate runners

So I was skeptical

But it's like a legit Mario game. I'm loving it.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    For anyone going to play Super Mario Run, it's not a free game. To play anything past world 1 costs $10.

After playing through world 1, but with a ton left to do in that world, I'm thinking that's worth it to me.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Anyone know if there was a Super Mario Run thread back when it originally came out on iOS? I'd like to get 10 people on my friends list and I'd assume such a thread would have a list somewhere in it.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Played through both "hidden my game by mom" games. Cute.

They really are good. Especially for the price.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Mario Run! March 23rd!

ahdXBJz.png

Tried to find this on the play store, couldn't. Soon found out why. Apparently it's not allowed on 'rooted' phones, and I run cyanogenmod. Mahvelous.

You know it's funny, for all the talk about how mobile users refuse to pay for anything, I'd have happily paid for the full game. I don't like infinite runners, but this is basically a modified Mario game with discrete levels. Since I'm a gamer willing to pay for stuff, I'd have thought I'd be exactly their audience.

Guess I'll take my money to Humble, where they release DRM free games that you can just download the .apk for, and won't cause me any issues.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Aside from humble apps not getting properly updated. I refuse to buy android games on humble now.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    madspookymadspooky San Antonio, TXRegistered User regular
    The Adventure Time card game is on sale right now, it's a pretty decent time killer.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Sad that Super Mario Run isn't completely free. I would play it more if it was.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    So, I've discovered something that makes me very happy. Using the App DosBox Turbo and the companion app DosBox Manager, I can load in Master of Orion and play it extremely smoothly on both my phone and tablet. The original game UI is practically optimized for tablet play. The only small adjustment I'd like to see would be a way to zoom in and out more easily. Looking into things, I can easily get MOO2 running on my phone via DosBox as well. I'm guessing that via GOG I'll be able to find a lot of turn-based DOS game that I can easily run on my android phone/tablet for some high quality gaming.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Mario Run! March 23rd!

ahdXBJz.png

So, after being a bit hyped for the game, I got bored after like 5 minutes.. Thank god it's buy before you try

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Mario Run! March 23rd!

ahdXBJz.png

So, after being a bit hyped for the game, I got bored after like 5 minutes.. Thank god it's buy before you try

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    So, I've discovered something that makes me very happy. Using the App DosBox Turbo and the companion app DosBox Manager, I can load in Master of Orion and play it extremely smoothly on both my phone and tablet. The original game UI is practically optimized for tablet play. The only small adjustment I'd like to see would be a way to zoom in and out more easily. Looking into things, I can easily get MOO2 running on my phone via DosBox as well. I'm guessing that via GOG I'll be able to find a lot of turn-based DOS game that I can easily run on my android phone/tablet for some high quality gaming.

Point and click adventure games work pretty well with it, too. Also check out SCUMMVM.

• Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Tried a mobile game called Innocent Bane today. Almost totally plays like Monster Strike except that you can also time a click for damage as well. The map perspective is kind of interesting I suppose. Not sure how the rates are and apparently the Global server came out earlier this month.

Adellios on