As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Syndicate: Loards for cheap, Orikae's calling it now - GOTY 2012.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Melding wrote:
    Sooooooo...I heard on the Bombcast that
    At some point your player character turns on the big evil corporation you work for.

And I was all:
    Red_Forman.jpg

yeah i called that seeing the announcement trailer.

I'm not really here for the single player.

From the sound of that anecdote, they were pretty much "Yeah. You were expecting different?" when Jeff brought that up.

It's a cyberpunk story

you were either going to start out that way or end up it

c'mon now

it's less a boring trope and more a requirement, like how a fantasy game is going to have swords and shields.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    The moving hud can be patched out (although they should keep it for when you jump over stuff) but the reboot requests in the video seem very annoying as does that humpback look they have when they are downed.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Melding wrote:
    At some point your player character turns on the big evil corporation you work for.

And I was all:
    Red_Forman.jpg

From the sound of that anecdote, they were pretty much "Yeah. You were expecting different?" when Jeff brought that up.

It's a cyberpunk story

c'mon now

it's less a boring trope and more a requirement, like how a fantasy game is going to have swords and shields.

Case didn't turn on his boss. Not for lack of trying, admitted. Neither did Protagonist. His boss from the start of the story helped settle the score in the end.

It's a cliche of the genre. Not a requirement.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Melding wrote:

And I was all:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/74/Red_Forman.jpg

It's a cyberpunk story

c'mon now

Case didn't turn on his boss. Not for lack of trying, admitted. Neither did Protagonist. His boss from the start of the story helped settle the score in the end.

It's a cliche of the genre. Not a requirement.

More to the point
    Syndicate is not about looking within yourself and making morally right choices.

Syndicate is about loading up the two dudes you don't upgrade as much with bombs and satellite beacons that drop explosive uranium rods from space and having them suicide bomb any mission that gets too hard.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    now, I haven't played Syndicate, except once when I rented the SNES version

I was too young to be able to understand it

but I was under the impression that the setting is such that "rebelling against your corporation" isn't really an option

Shorty on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    you were the corporation or something.

It would be like rebelling against X-Com.

you are the corporation.

• Options
    yeah

that said, this game is basically not Syndicate except in name so we shouldn't be surprised by this sort of thing

• Options
    you play as one of the agents, instead of the CEO.

That is the change.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Melding wrote:
    you were the corporation or something.

It would be like rebelling against X-Com.

you are the corporation.

Well, lots of people rebel against X-Com. All the time.

It's a bad move, but people keep it up.

It's actually something I find amusing about X-Com that it is a game series about running an amoral PMC just as much as it's about running a heroic multinational group to save mankind from aliens.

Apoc is even set in a dystopian megacity run by corporations.

Of course, X-Com tossed into syndicate would probably count as living saints.

• Options
    xcom syndicate cross over? I smell a sitcom!

no, no i don't.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Cockblocked in Australia, that is a bummer.

Oh wow, you're right

The demo wasn't up when I switched off my 360 last night, but Syndicate did have a section on the marketplace, which has since vanished

• Options
    change your nation?

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    xcom syndicate cross over? I smell a sitcom!

no, no i don't.

Yeah, that's charred flesh.

X-Com would win, but it would not be pretty. You're taking two organizations aiming for the world record in "God will sort the dead", shoving them in a confined space, and shaking the box.

I'm thinking trillions in property damage, civvie casualties ranging from thousands to millions depending on the locations of the conflict, a few major population centers left as STALKER style Zones, and the world's best PR teams working overtime to hide any evidence of the disaster.

• Options
    ...does your model consider the involvement of the Church of the new Epoch or the Unguided?

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    gawddammit who turned an original game into gears of modern warfare!?!

• Options
    edited February 2012
    ...does your model consider the involvement of the Church of the new Epoch or the Unguided?

Yes.

Also the Cult of Sirius.

X-Com is made up of very, very scary people.

Of course, it assumes they both get eliminated quickly. Assuming there are players involved with enough spread to really slow things down, might want to move the bodycount somewhere in the billions.

Possibly the destruction of Earth.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    gawddammit who turned an original game into gears of modern warfare!?!

suits

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I would have loved it if they did a SWAT4/Rainbow 6 Raven Shield style remake of syndicate. So then you'd have your 4 agents like the original and get to equip them as you like.

What I'm saying is that I want more games like SWAT 4 and Rainbow 6 Raven Shield.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I...

I like the way this game looks. It's made by the makes of my favorite FPS of all time. It's cyberpunk, which too few games do well. It has two revolvers, that maybe, just maybe, I can use together while jumping through the air screaming like Owen Wilson.

I guess I'm saying I'm excited for this game.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Here we go, from IGN
    According to the Classification Board report, the fact that enemies and corpses "can be explicitly dismembered, decapitated or bisected by the force of the gunfire" was a major problem.

Civilians can be targeted also, but cannot be dismembered. The report did, however, note that in cooperative gameplay "points are awarded for civilian casualties."

The report concludes:

"In the opinion of the Board, the game contains intense sequences of violence which include detailed depictions of decaptitation and dismemberment that are high in playing impact. The game also contains the ability to inflict repeated and realistic post mortem damage which exceeds strong in playing impact. It is therefore unsuitable for a minor to see or play and should be Refused Classification pursuant to item 1(d) of the computer games table of the Code."

The last game refused classification in Australia was The House of the Dead: Overkill for PS3, but Sega successfully appealed the decision and the rating was lowered to MA15+.

Honestly I was likely just going to get ME3, but I hate the rating system in this country so much

• Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    I'll be downloading the demo shortly, hopefully can play with some dudes.

Hmm, should probably get a new headset at some point D:

Live - B1nk3h

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    Snow Crash, though, I'll admit to absolutely loving
    Couldn't get through Cryptonomicon
    Thought Diamond Age was pretty alright but has the worst case of Stephenson Ending of all his stuff
    Baroque Cycle ruled so hard though
    Grey Ghost, you have good opinions about Stephenson books - especially The Baroque Cycle. I did get all the way through Cryptonomicon, though, and it was pretty good.

As for the demo, I met up with Melding and we managed to get through the whole thing with just two people, though it was pretty hard! It's actually pretty good, as far as shooters go - the action is fast and frantic, and the chipped-up-cyborg angle provides some interesting gameplay elements, like using your different apps to shut down security and fuck with and/or help people. Like in other popular shooters, you can set up different load-outs to reflect your playstyle or the role you want to play going into the mission.

The controls are ... fine, but some stuff has been mapped to weird places. For example, you click the right stick to melee attack, which I find awkward. That's too bad, because the takedowns are actually pretty neat, and you are still vulnerable while doing them (unlike in Deus Ex, for example), so you have to be careful. Also, doing the Brink-style sprint/slide move requires you to click the left stick and then hit B, which I also find awkward, especially since you don't sprint for very long (though there is an infinite sprint upgrade avaialble). Now some of this may be because I have a stupid brain, but I think I would like to re-map some of these functions.

And yes, the co-op avatars aren't exactly the Agents we're used to in a Syndicate game (though the chick with the beret and trenchcoat is just about right), but I'm pretty sure the designs were intended to make it easier for players to recognize each other against the background of faceless cops, mercs and corporate security goons.

More info below:
    The "moving" HUD is a bit weird at first, but I stopped noticing after the first couple of minutes, because you spend most of your time looking downrange anyway. I like the way the different breaching apps work; it's pretty neat to disable a dude's reactive armour, overheat his gun and then boost your teammates' damage so they can make the most of the opening. It's also nice that you can heal your allies from an almost ridiculously long distance. Healing and rezzing each other is actually super important, and you get lots of XP for doing it, so you could do well even if you just wanted to hang back, sniping bad guys and healing your friends. The different weapons are pretty neat, though I sometimes had trouble telling them apart (the TAR-39 AR and the machine pistol look very similar to me).

The demo also tracks your XP so you can actually dick around with the levelling system a bit. At each level you get a "chip upgrade" you can use to unlock new abilities like extra health or faster breaching, or which allow you to research better upgrades for your applications. The system for actually upgrading your weapons and apps is a bit convoluted, though: Over the course of the mission, you gain research tokens by yanking the chips out of powerful enemies, which you can then spend to unlock research into upgrades for your gear. But unlocking research is not the same as unlocking the upgrade itself! Instead, you play some more, and that in turn rewards you with research points. When you have enough points, the upgrade is finally unlocked and you gain the benefit. So yeah, I'm not sure if I'm sold on that yet. That said, each weapon and application has a pretty long list of available upgrades, so there's lots of room for customization.

Oh, and if you find it too easy you can increase the difficulty, though I didn't bother so I don't know how exactly they make things harder.

tl;dr: I don't think this is a Day One purchase for me, but it's definitely fun and something I'll keep an eye on and perhaps pick up later. Even if you aren't thrilled about this "re-imagining" of Syndicate, if you like co-op shooters, you should just download the demo and give it a whirl. It's less than 800MB, so it won't even take very long.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Here we go, from IGN
    According to the Classification Board report, the fact that enemies and corpses "can be explicitly dismembered, decapitated or bisected by the force of the gunfire" was a major problem.

Civilians can be targeted also, but cannot be dismembered. The report did, however, note that in cooperative gameplay "points are awarded for civilian casualties."

The report concludes:

"In the opinion of the Board, the game contains intense sequences of violence which include detailed depictions of decaptitation and dismemberment that are high in playing impact. The game also contains the ability to inflict repeated and realistic post mortem damage which exceeds strong in playing impact. It is therefore unsuitable for a minor to see or play and should be Refused Classification pursuant to item 1(d) of the computer games table of the Code."

The last game refused classification in Australia was The House of the Dead: Overkill for PS3, but Sega successfully appealed the decision and the rating was lowered to MA15+.

Honestly I was likely just going to get ME3, but I hate the rating system in this country so much

wait till australia learns about gay alien space RAPE in mass effect 3

• Options
    and yes this is a fairly generic sci-fi FPS with the syndicate name kind of stuck on top of it

I still want to like it

although them not releasing a PC demo

and then fucking up the xbox demo for canadians

is not exactly endearing me here

• Options
  • Options
    Rolo wrote:
    and yes this is a fairly generic sci-fi FPS with the syndicate name kind of stuck on top of it

I still want to like it

How did it get fucked up?
    (I'm in Montreal and had no problems downloading or playing the demo)

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Rolo wrote:

I still want to like it

when I tried to download the demo there was simply no "download" button there

when I checked online they had confirmed that this was a problem with some of the canadian xbox servers, no eta on a fix

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    this game seems pretty neat
    and i heard richard k morgan (is there another richard morgan?) is involved, and i am a big fan of his post cyberpunk

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Co-op like this actually has me more excited for ME3.

• Options
    Rolo wrote:
    Rolo wrote:

I still want to like it

when I tried to download the demo there was simply no "download" button there

when I checked online they had confirmed that this was a problem with some of the canadian xbox servers, no eta on a fix

weird, i got it just fine and my friend in kitchener got it as well. try starting it from the site

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-CA/Product/Syndicate-Co-op-Demo/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80245418984?purchase=1&purchaseid=66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80245418984

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    i played one game
    big surprise, no one had a mic, and we didn't really work together at all, so it was hard as hell

good stuff--
    the game looks neat. yeah, it sort of looks like the black eyed peas made a music video for the matrix, but i like it
    the guns are neat
    the hacking er um breaching thing is cool
    your avatar has a real sense of weight and momentum. that was pretty much the only thing i liked for the killzone 3 beta/demo thing

not so great, need to time to think things:
    the bouncing HUD is strange

the controls are sort of complicated--
    there is some kind of slide manuever, but I can't do it on purpose
    you can throw grenades, but i don't understand how

and my connection is garbage today, so it was all laggy and jumpy, which sucks without dubsteb

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Slide is run + duck.

Grenades are hold Y(Swap weapon) to pull them out and then pull the fire button to throw them.

Yukira on
  • Options
    Yukira wrote:
    Slide is run + duck.

Grenades are hold Y(Swap weapon) to pull them out and then pull the fire button to throw them.
    Also, grenades you throw seem to explode on impact, whereas enemy grenades bounce and have a timer.

Oh, and you can breach enemy grenades (either on the ground or in the air) to disarm them. Then you can pick them up and throw them back.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Breaching enemy grenades is pretty sweet.

• Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Holy shit is this hard trying to go solo, though that's a bit overdone because of infinite respawns (or at least it seems that way)

Junpei on
  • Options
    I'm probably going to grab the demo tonight but I'm glad to hear it's hard.

Syndicate Wars was almost controller breaking at points. Softening up the follow-up would be a crime.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Yukira wrote:
    Having a partner who's good at tagging them is great.

I would be all, "Oh shit- GRENADE!"

And then it would land at my feet with a gentle 'clink' and sit there, harmless.

I could feel Melding's smug grin through the Internet.

edit:
    Junpei wrote:
    Holy shit is this hard trying to go solo, though that's a bit overdone because of infinite respawns (or at least it seems that way)
    Yeah, not sure doing the later parts would be possible alone. Two-manning it was quite the grind, and we got beat a few times even after we picked up a third guy.

It seems that in certain areas, the enemies don't always spawn in the same spot. For example, in the final section the goons who show up before the Colonel can start out in a few different places.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    I pretty much hit breach every time something popped up.

Grenades, healing, boss shields. I just couldn't stop.

• Options
    Yukira wrote:
    Having a partner who's good at tagging them is great.

I would be all, "Oh shit- GRENADE!"

And then it would land at my feet with a gentle 'clink' and sit there, harmless.

I could feel Melding's smug grin through the Internet.

I actually just really enjoy being a team player. i might not max out the kills, but my presence is fucking known.

Also, who wants to play this, like, right now?

• Options
    need like, 2 more people.

Must love violence.