As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shut Up Weird Al is Awesome

• naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I did not know that Eat It was a Radiohead parody

fascinating

EDIT: D: totp already

naengwen on
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    naengwen wrote:

fascinating

Huh?

Is it jokes time?

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    rfilyaw wrote:
    naengwen wrote:
    Also the gender swap for "I kissed a girl" is fantastic in retrospect

Ah haha yeah, that's funny.

OH You know what I really love? My favorite Al thing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWc6QQ9JlMc

Edit: Haha, wow. Watch Donny at 1:50 when he signs ROTFLOL

I love the story behind this.
    Weird Al wrote:
    It was amazing, I have to tell you. I didn't know exactly what to expect. Donny was the first call, because if you have to have a white and nerdy icon in your video, like who else do you go for? I didn't really know what he'd bring to the table, frankly. As soon as he showed up on the set, he blew everybody away. I didn't give him a whole lot of direction, he was asking "Like what do you want me to do?" And I said, "You're basically the Krayzie Bone in this video. And you're gonna be behind me, just kind of like dancing and moving. Just let the cameras roll and we'll do coverage of the entire song, we'll do one take, I dunno do something, and we'll take a look at it and see what's good and what's bad." So we turn the camera on and we got on the set and Donny just went nuts. And it was the most hilarious thing I've ever seen. We watched the tape, and the two of us were just cracking up, we were like two little kids.

• bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    I love weird al unapologetically. my brother and I used to use my mom's karaoke machine to stage performances of his songs in our living room - we would get dressed up and everything.

• ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    rfilyaw wrote:
    naengwen wrote:

*snip*

Weird Al wrote:
    It was amazing, I have to tell you. I didn't know exactly what to expect. Donny was the first call, because if you have to have a white and nerdy icon in your video, like who else do you go for? I didn't really know what he'd bring to the table, frankly. As soon as he showed up on the set, he blew everybody away. I didn't give him a whole lot of direction, he was asking "Like what do you want me to do?" And I said, "You're basically the Krayzie Bone in this video. And you're gonna be behind me, just kind of like dancing and moving. Just let the cameras roll and we'll do coverage of the entire song, we'll do one take, I dunno do something, and we'll take a look at it and see what's good and what's bad." So we turn the camera on and we got on the set and Donny just went nuts. And it was the most hilarious thing I've ever seen. We watched the tape, and the two of us were just cracking up, we were like two little kids.

This is just so perfect. Look how winded he is at the end! (I think most of us would be with those moves)

EyQGd.jpg
    rfilyaw wrote:
    naengwen wrote:

fascinating

Huh?

Is it jokes time?

Nope

Time to spin the wheel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KezvwARhBIc

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    The Geek wrote:
    I think Hardware Store is still my favorite.

And I am still proud of myself (however silly that may be) that I figured out the gimmick of Bob without looking at the lyrics sheet.

Theres a gimmick besides that hes hard to understand? I know whos hes suppose to be parodying but his name escapes me at the moment

• HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    HugmasterGeneral on
    Dylan is in a lyd

Hope that answers your question

Goatmon wrote:

Fun Fact: Satan Eats Cheese-Whiz

Also holy shit I never noticed about Bob. Like...christ Al, how long did that take to write? Man. Crazy mad respect

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Heh, I knew of some of the palindromes he used in that, so I picked up on it almost immediately.

And it doesn't seem like it would be extremely hard.

Just a matter of compiling a big list of palindromes and figuring out how to organize them into rhyming lyrics.

A challenge, sure, but nothing mind-blowingly difficult.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

I'm more impressed with his wpm on Hardware store, personally

Wonder how often he does that one in concert

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    seeing Al do Albuquerque live was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen

he is just INSANE live

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpMvS1Q1sos

Some of the jokes in this are still funny as hell.

edited February 2012
    Fearghaill wrote:
    rfilyaw wrote:
    naengwen wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWc6QQ9JlMc

Weird Al wrote:

That ROTFLOL thing is even funnier when you realize he just improvised that perfectly in one go.

Goatmon on

naengwen wrote:

I'm not sure he CAN do that one. Or that he is willing to.

I've been to more than one of his concerts after Poodle hat was out, and he never did that one.

It made me sad. :(

edited February 2012
    Goatmon on

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I love that they actually use Weird Al's band in that

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Weird Al has also directed some music videos, like this one for Jon Spencer Blues Explosion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIgz9HvsVjA

And this one, for...Jeff Foxworthy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sooAT_ptjb0&ob=av3e

6F32U1X.png
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I really like Skipper Dan on his new album but then realized that he probably knows someone just like that and it makes me sad

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Goatmon wrote:
    naengwen wrote:

I've been to more than one of his concerts after Poodle hat was out, and he never did that one.

Yeah, as far as I'm aware, he's never done Hardware Store in concert. The big list of tools is very, very hard to do in one breath.

BLM - ACAB
    Bucketman wrote:
    Fun Fact: Satan Eats Cheese-Whiz

Also holy shit I never noticed about Bob. Like...christ Al, how long did that take to write? Man. Crazy mad respect

You know he has another backwards message in I Remember Larry, right?

BLM - ACAB
    Hah, didn't know about "I remember Larry". That's funny (listened to the song many many times)

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    What's the message in I Remember Larry?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    Something to the effect of "Wow, you must have an awful lot of free time on your hands."

BLM - ACAB
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I admire your synchronized posting skills, Gatsby.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    It's a talent

and a curse.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Hahahaha, fantastic

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    edited February 2012
    The Geek wrote:
    Goatmon wrote:
    naengwen wrote:

Yeah, as far as I'm aware, he's never done Hardware Store in concert. The big list of tools is very, very hard to do in one breath.

I think Your Horoscope for Today has the hardest lyric that he can actually do on stage.

Thinking about it, I don't think it would really be possible to do that section of Hardware Store, unless Al is pretty good at circular breathing.

Goatmon on

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote:
    The Geek wrote:
    Goatmon wrote:
    naengwen wrote:

I think Your Horoscope for Today has the hardest lyric that he can actually do on stage.

Thinking about it, I don't think it would really be possible to do that section of Hardware Store, unless Al is pretty good at circular breathing.

I can do the vocal breakdown in Horoscope in one breath but by the end I'm pretty strained

and I'm just some clown

I wouldn't be surprised if Al could do it in one go without breaking a sweat

edited February 2012
    yeah but there's the whole rest of the song leading up to that part, so you're already breathing harder than normal and shorter on breath by the time you start that bit.

Also, the bit in hardware store is significantly longer, faster, and has a tighter string of words than in Horoscope.

It is just over 8 syllables a second for thirty seconds straight. No pausing no skipping, nothing. Even one stutter or pause for breath derails the entire thing.

That section in Horoscope is closer to 5 or 6 syllables a second, and only for 20 seconds. That's a lot more forgiving and gives more opportunity to take really quick breaths.

Goatmon on

• Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    I feel like I've seen him do Hardware Store live but maybe I dreamed it

mkc.png
    I didn't get a chance to seem him on the recent tour, so if he did Hardware Store live, it would have been then. I've been to a concert for every tour since the song came out except for this one and it hasn't been on his setlist when I've been there.

BLM - ACAB