As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shut Up Weird Al is Awesome

• Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    You know what, I think I'm thinking of You Make Me
    Because it's my favorite and I'd never seen him do it

mkc.png
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    The rest of the forums are dumb.

I live in this thread now.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    whomp

more like

dumbp

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012

Oh my, this is delightful

edit: In fact, I don't think I've ever heard a Weird Al cover

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    There's a cover at the top of page 4

Along with Al being awesome

But then that's kinda the standard soooo

Hey, is that a music video featuring a John K character on page 1? Weeeeird

• Options
    I REALLY hate that John K video, but then again, I dislike John K period. I respect his art, but it's disturbing in a bad way (despite my art taking second-degree inspiration from his)

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    rfilyaw wrote:
    I REALLY hate that John K video, but then again, I dislike John K period. I respect his art, but it's disturbing in a bad way (despite my art taking second-degree inspiration from his)

The Bjork video he did was great I thought.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Oh hey, just came in to say that Weird Al

is great

ps. I think the Weird Al threads don't last too long because there's not a lot of dispute over how great he is. But I am curious as to what people think his worst songs are. It's a much shorter list than the ones I like. I think Germs and Toothless People are my least favorite, just because I don't like the source styles. And Generic Blues. It's just too generic.

sig.gif
  • Options
    yeah I think the songs of his I don't like (which is more like "I like them less than his others") is very very short.

I think I'll load up my Weird Al collection and thumb through, see if any jump out at me

• Options
    edited February 2012
    For starters, I don't care for 'Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch' because it's a bit lazy BUT it's lazy because Weird Al didn't even want to do it, and I blame his production company at the time for that.

Don't really like 'One More Minute', mainly because of the source style (way too slow, and doesn't really go anywhere)

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Just found this video (I don't keep up on Al enough)

I really love the animation style. Often it's too cheap and Flash-like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF6ct9ZEq5s

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    rfilyaw wrote:
    For starters, I don't care for 'Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch' because it's a bit lazy BUT it's lazy because Weird Al didn't even want to do it, and I blame his production company at the time for that.

Don't really like 'One More Minute', mainly because of the source style (way too slow, and doesn't really go anywhere)

We are like minded on this particular point.

Can't say I hate John K. He's a snob, but when he does stuff it's pretty cool to watch.

I don't blame you for hating him, though. Have some Bill Plympton instead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwqFgnl4rMs

• Options
    Butts!

BUTTS EVERYWHERE

(very creative animation)

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    rfilyaw wrote: »

yeah i agree whole-heartedly

I feel like Al should at worst occasionally skirt into pg-13 territory and that video is a fair bit out of that range

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Plympton's a pretty cool guy.

He and Cordell Barker are what I think of when someone explicitly references "Canadian Animation." I'm not sure why.

EDIT: As far as Weird Al songs I like the least (which isn't saying much because they're all too awesome)... yeah, Girls Wanna Have Lunch. I'm not fond of The Saga Begins, but that's mostly the source material.

Since either interpretation of that last sentence is likely to inspire an angry mob, I'll remind everyone that "like the least" isn't "dislike." If that doesn't work, the last sentence of the previous paragraph was a lie.

naengwen on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    rfilyaw wrote: »

yeah i agree whole-heartedly

I feel like Al should at worst occasionally skirt into pg-13 territory and that video is a fair bit out of that range

Indeed. I like that Weird Al is mostly family friendly, and that John K video kinda kicked that in the face. (I'm not saying everyone and everything should be family friendly. I love Dethklok and other messed up things. But I think we all like to keep everything in nice neat little boxes labeled "naughty" and "nice".)

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That's a pretty good cover there from MC Chris.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Lord Dave wrote:
    You know what, I think I'm thinking of You Make Me
    Because it's my favorite and I'd never seen him do it

I've always liked that one.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I really don't like that TMZ video. Really, really don't.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    It's interesting that MC Chris kept it slow just like the originals. I'm surprised it wasn't a much more inspired cover, though if it really was a gift for his mom, I can understand that

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    as far as al songs I'm not big on

hm

he's got a fair bit of songs that don't really have many jokes, and instead mostly rely on "haha, he rewrote the words to be about something wacky and/or related to pop culture!"

like off the top of my head, Taco Grande or Ode to a Superhero are good examples

on the other hand there are some songs like Jerry Springer that are similar but that I think are funny

it's like a fine line between that sort of thing coming off as clever or as lazy

• Options
    I don't really care for Plympton animation.

And the John K video really soured me on Close But No Cigar at first, but then listening to the song more without the video made the song grow on me.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    I do enjoy the song 'Close But No Cigar'

• Options
    Ode to a Superhero is one of the few rare Al parodies that has the same number of verses and choruses as the original so you can actually sing his version at karaoke if you want.

Which I have done with that song.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    rfilyaw wrote:
    I do enjoy the song 'Close But No Cigar'

I have learned within the last few months, thanks to Spotify, that I really, really like Cake, so it makes sense that I enjoy that song.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    All right, fine then. Enjoy your claymation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh4zvQfDhi0

• Options
    the best al videos are the ones that imitate the original song's

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Ha ha nice

Man, I can't stop listening to Weird Al live on youtube because of this thread

edit: maaaan I love claymation, no matter how badly or goodly it's done

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    ronnie do a whomp about claymation only the clay is cookie dough and ronnie eats it

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    I like how the UHF movie soundtrack is really just a studio album that happens to have a couple songs from UHF on it

since he only wrote like three original songs for the movie

speaking of the title theme from UHF is a good song regardless of humor value

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUi926ses94

• Options
    ronnie do a whomp about claymation only the clay is cookie dough and ronnie eats it

Hah! I can see the punchline already *write down*

• Options
    excellent, ronnie, excellent

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    The scene at the end of UHF where
    George signs the paperwork to get the station from his uncle and then he jumps up shouting, "We did it, the station's ours!"
    always makes me a bit misty-eyed.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    The Geek wrote: »
    The scene at the end of UHF where
    George signs the paperwork to get the station from his uncle and then he jumps up shouting, "We did it, the station's ours!"
    always makes me a bit misty-eyed.

it's a good scene

even better is
    the endless torrent of "fuck you" that the bad guy gets

• Options
    I like how the UHF movie soundtrack is really just a studio album that happens to have a couple songs from UHF on it

since he only wrote like three original songs for the movie

speaking of the title theme from UHF is a good song regardless of humor value

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUi926ses94

This song is super catchy. Sounds like one of those 80's/90's prime time promotional songs, which is obviously the intent, but he really nailed it, and it's great.

• Options
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote:
    I don't really care for Plympton animation.

And the John K video really soured me on Close But No Cigar at first, but then listening to the song more without the video made the song grow on me.

I can never hate Bill Plympton's style after seeing I Married a Strange Person, years ago.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4539G-5yUgg

Still one of my all time favorite Al songs. I told my friend to arrange this for his A Capella group. I don't think he's going to do it though.