As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

why is rupert sheldrake's advertising everywhere?

SamSam Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
9gag. Reddit. Cracked. The AV Club. Probably many more. They're all eerily choked with the same ad from the same biologist who claims that animals have psychic/telepathic ability and is trying to circumvent peer review scientific journals to take his case directly to the public at large.

Sam on

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Probably because he's paid for advertisement on those respective services, to answer the thread title.

I would hope he doesn't catch on. The last thing we need is another thing people hear about on TV and disregard what the scientific literature says on the matter.

• Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    i've never seen anything advertised this broadly. it's showing up on 9/10 sites i go to.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i havent seen any of the rupert sheldrake things

and the man himself is actually quite nice, i dont think hes deliberately being a scumbag - he just genuinely believes in morphic resonance

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    In April 2008, Sheldrake was stabbed in the leg during a lecture at the La Fonda Hotel in Santa Fe, New Mexico. He was presenting as part of the tenth annual International Conference on Science and Consciousness. Sheldrake has since recovered. The assailant, Japanese born laborer Kazuki Hirano, allegedly stabbed Sheldrake because he believed that Sheldrake was using mind control techniques on him. He had followed Sheldrake to New Mexico from England to purportedly ask him how to block mental telepathy when he stabbed him. Sheldrake fears that if he is released and extradited to Japan, he will continue to stalk him.[13]

Just did a bunch of reading. Fascinating guy. He kind of invented a biological aether. He is of course, unforgivably wrong about everything he talks about, but I also find these sorts of things hilariously fun to read.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Sam wrote:
    9gag. Reddit. Cracked. The AV Club. Probably many more. They're all eerily choked with the same ad from the same biologist who claims that animals have psychic/telepathic ability and is trying to circumvent peer review scientific journals to take his case directly to the public at large.

I hope this isn't infraction worthy, but: stop going to bad websites? I have not heard of any of this either but I generally stay off of most content link blogs. I never heard of 9gag either until like 2-3 days ago and now thats a thing apparently. I am getting bombarded with people talking about it, or about how terrible it is(generally its other content farms calling it a content farm, which I dont get).
    I feel like such a hypocrit elitist, saying my internetz is better then your internetz

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Sam wrote:

I hope this isn't infraction worthy, but: stop going to bad websites? I have not heard of any of this either but I generally stay off of most content link blogs. I never heard of 9gag either until like 2-3 days ago and now thats a thing apparently. I am getting bombarded with people talking about it, or about how terrible it is(generally its other content farms calling it a content farm, which I dont get).
    I feel like such a hypocrit elitist, saying my internetz is better then your internetz

Seems a bit unfair. I don't see the PA forums as being that different from content farms, tbh. Especially D&D, which is like 90% 'Man, this article/news thing, fucking crazy huh?+Discussion'

• Options
    Yeah but on the other side of things, we literally have a rule against just reposting a link and saying "GO." We need to push some of the conversation ourselves, or make a starting statement of belief.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I think a question is good enough to start the conversation.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    He's already in your head.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Deadfall wrote:
    He's already in your head.

I feel like a dick because here I am arguing against content farms and our rules for discussion, and I am not even talking about the topic. Honestly though a link to his info, or a story about what hes doing would be good instead of just saying its been all over content farms.

Going around peer review is a time honored tradition for money/grant raising, preying on people with money who don't know any better or "want to believe". It really sucks and hurts science in general. It happens at least once to twice a year in a major way for cold fusion.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Sam wrote:

Have you tried clearing your cookies/cache?
    Chances are if you're seeing the same ad on multiple websites with a great deal of regularity, it's because you've got a cookie or a tracker in your browser letting the adserver know that you've display an interest in whatever that specific ad is selling.
    I know I saw a lot of ads for a specific clothing site after I checked the prices their for coats, and I saw a lot of ads for a site selling hand made leather courier bags after I had visited them.

Granted, neither of these ads are obnoxious or offensive (and the one reminds me that I should really get a new coat soon). But yeah, like I said, try clearing your cache and cookies and history files and see if you still get the ad.

• Options
    When I read "ad" I didnt read literal advertisement, but what (similarly) slashdot posters refer to as a "slashvertisement". Where its a blog post thinly vieled as news/something neat/troll post to rile people up by a shill. Which is going on?

steam_sig.png