As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

300 Movie thread (Also we talk about our hate for Keith)

• CheetoCheeto Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    tombomb666 wrote: »
    Cheeto wrote: »
    Angry wrote: »
    gerard butler is 37 years old. the events in 300 were said to have taken place 30 years after leonidas was roughly 12 or so years old.

your argument is stupid.

Actually it takes place 40 years after he fought the wolf in the woods. Taken directly from the comic itself I quote "It has been more than forty years since the wolf and the cold. Now, as then, it is not fear that grips him." Plus Leonidas in the comic looks so much older than Gerard Butler it's not even funny. So my estimate of Butler being 20 years younger than he should be was close. If he was 12 or a teenager that would make him at the least in his early fifties.
    So, you mean to say that despite a fantastic performance in the film, he should not have been cast because he doesn't look quite old enough?

Edit: Comparison

They should have got somebody else.

Cheeto on
    Geebs is a dick and made me change my sig.
    Batman_Sig_by_Merit13.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    gerard butler is 37 years old. the events in 300 were said to have taken place 30 years after leonidas was roughly 12 or so years old.

your argument is stupid.

Actually it takes place 40 years after he fought the wolf in the woods. Taken directly from the comic itself I quote "It has been more than forty years since the wolf and the cold. Now, as then, it is not fear that grips him." Plus Leonidas in the comic looks so much older than Gerard Butler it's not even funny. So my estimate of Butler being 20 years younger than he should be was close. If he was 12 or a teenager that would make him at the least in his early fifties.
    So, you mean to say that despite a fantastic performance in the film, he should not have been cast because he doesn't look quite old enough?

No, they shouldn't have, because the dude knocked that shit out of the park. Stop nitpicking such a little detail. Here's a shocker: the guys who've played Dumbledore aren't 150 years old. Oh noes, terrible casting! :roll:

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Majidah wrote: »
    I
    8. Homophobia--Anchient greeks do not make homophobic comments. Ancient greeks are WHY modern men make homophobic comments.

I'm pretty sure Leonidas wasn't cracking a joke about the athenians being gay, just about them being pedophiles.

Which is pretty hilarious, considering that pederasty was an obligatory right of passage for Spartans.

I thought the comic was middling at best (it lifted all the good stuff from the movie 300 Spartans, like the arrows/shade line) and the movie worse than the comic. So, sub-par? Meh. Plenty of style, no substance. And the style wore thin about 30 minutes in.

Terrorbyte on
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought the casting was great. Butler was really, really into his character and I think he carried things well.

Xerxes was sweet.

I also liked Lena Headey as Gorgo.
    :winky: A lot.

Torso Boy on
    edited March 2007
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    I thought the casting was great. Butler was really, really into his character and I think he carried things well.

Xerxes was sweet.

I also liked Lena Headey as Gorgo.
    :winky: A lot.

I'd say that Butler liked her as well. :winky:

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    I think back to the Sin City Library Hardcover editions that came out after the movie's popularity increased interest in them, and they're probably the best versions of that material you can find now.

Is the 300 HC from 2001 as good as it's gonna get? Any reason to wait for anything else?

It's only $22 CAD on amazon so I figure why not (unless there's osmething better coming from DH in the near future?)

Deusfaux on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    Pb wrote: »
    Oh my god

i am confident enough in my manliness to say that cher makes fabulous music
    polar-bear-failure.jpg

Hacksaw on
    edited March 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »

your argument is stupid.

No, they shouldn't have, because the dude knocked that shit out of the park. Stop nitpicking such a little detail. Here's a shocker: the guys who've played Dumbledore aren't 150 years old. Oh noes, terrible casting! :roll:

Yeah but they look like Dumbledore Butler looks like Leonidas but 20 years younger. They should have got someone who actually looked like Leonidas does in the comic with wrinkles and everything.

Cheeto on
    edited March 2007
    Wait, so did Miller draw Leonidas as an old dude? If so, I guess you have a point. Even then, I'd say that you're nitpicking something that could easily be attributed to artistic license. Also, Butler was brilliant, and the age thing obviously wasn't all that important if they didn't bother to age him artificially.

wwtMask on
  • SquirrelNinjaSquirrelNinja Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah right, I woulda complained if the guy was 50 years old and kicked so much ass, I didn't read the comic so I have no point of reference, but a 50 year old man whos meant to eat live and breath an asswhooping on anything that gets in his way sounds a little far fetched to me.

Oh yeah, fuck Keith!

SquirrelNinja on
    Bright and cold, the flash of steel.
    Alone I wander over desolate fields.
    My swords, I need no longer.
    The evening wind shall carry me home.
  • GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Especially since you were a man at 16, 50 was kinda ridiculous.

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
    edited March 2007
    Yeah right, I woulda complained if the guy was 50 years old and kicked so much ass, I didn't read the comic so I have no point of reference, but a 50 year old man whos meant to eat live and breath an asswhooping on anything that gets in his way sounds a little far fetched to me.

Oh yeah, fuck Keith!

Well he was 50 in the comic so why shouldn't he be in the movie? You called a 50 year old kicking ass in 300 sounds far fetched, well what the fuck isn't far fetched about a lot of 300 already? He is over in the comic, he looks over 50, so he should have stayed over 50 in the movie.

Cheeto on
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    He certainly didn't look 50 in the comic book, especially considering the lack of medical advances during the days of Sparta. I'd place his age about 43-45 maybe.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Terrorbyte wrote: »
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Majidah wrote: »
    I
    8. Homophobia--Anchient greeks do not make homophobic comments. Ancient greeks are WHY modern men make homophobic comments.

I'm pretty sure Leonidas wasn't cracking a joke about the athenians being gay, just about them being pedophiles.

Which is pretty hilarious, considering that pederasty was an obligatory right of passage for Spartans.

I thought the comic was middling at best (it lifted all the good stuff from the movie 300 Spartans, like the arrows/shade line) and the movie worse than the comic. So, sub-par? Meh. Plenty of style, no substance. And the style wore thin about 30 minutes in.
    The arrows/shade line is real. They actually said it when the battle actually occurred. I do not think 300 stole from 300 Spartans.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

your argument is stupid.

Poeple in peak physical shape hardly look the age they are.

Algertman on
    edited March 2007
    He certainly didn't look 50 in the comic book, especially considering the lack of medical advances during the days of Sparta. I'd place his age about 43-45 maybe.

Well he wasn't 43-45 he was OVER 50 it says so in the comic as I quoted in a previous post.

Cheeto on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    did the movie not say 30? i swear it said 30 years have passed at least twice.

Angry on
    edited March 2007
    did the movie not say 30? i swear it said 30 years have passed at least twice.

Yeah I think it did too but maybe that was there excuse for having such a young Leonidas but in the comic its actually over 40 years.

Cheeto on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It looks like the comic version of Leonidas has a few more lines in his face and some "salt" in his hair. I'm thinking this is a very odd thing to focus on.

CyberJackal on
    edited March 2007
    It looks like the comic version of Leonidas has a few more lines in his face and some "salt" in his hair. I'm thinking this is a very odd thing to focus on.

I think you should shut up.

Cheeto on
    edited March 2007

No, CyberJackal's got it right. You're fixated on a fairly small detail that isn't that big of a deal.

wwtMask on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

no u

CyberJackal on
    edited March 2007

No, CyberJackal's got it right. You're fixated on a fairly small detail that isn't that big of a deal.

It's not a big deal but I'm just saying that Leonidas was miscast or at least mishandled in the movie because he didn't really look like the character, since he was Gerard Butler is about twenty years younger than he should be to play that character.

Cheeto on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007

That is a compelling argument

Have you ever thought about being a lawyer?

Garlic Bread on
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Keith wrote: »

That is a compelling argument

Have you ever thought about being a lawyer?

OBJECTION

Ethan Smith on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

It's not a big deal but I'm just saying that Leonidas was miscast or at least mishandled in the movie because he didn't really look like the character, since he was Gerard Butler is about twenty years younger than he should be to play that character.

You fail to understand that the point of this film was to showcase really, really, really hot male bodies.

Regina Fong on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What I don't get is why he complains about a character being different then the comic, then he goes and says that they should change the ending of the movie, which was the ending in the comic.

Bloods End on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Cheeto's right guys

I agree with cheeto

Dex Dynamo on
    edited March 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »
    What I don't get is why he complains about a character being different then the comic, then he goes and says that they should change the ending of the movie, which was the ending in the comic.

Well because the ending sucked in the comic and the movie.

Cheeto on
  • Lieutenant SyrupLieutenant Syrup Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jeepguy wrote: »

You fail to understand that the point of this film was to showcase really, really, really hot male bodies.

and also stylish capes. big cape shoves its nose in everything.

Lieutenant Syrup on
    Ideologies
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

But... but thats how it actually happened.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I think he's referring to showing the big badass army at the end instead of just ending with leonidas dying.

Which is stupid because that was one of the most awesome moments of the movie.

So awesome.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This thread makes my brain hurt.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    JayKaos wrote: »

I think he's referring to showing the big badass army at the end instead of just ending with leonidas dying.

So awesome.

Yeah, the story would have been incomplete without the last bit.

If leonidas just died, there would be no real conclusion. I suppose the narrator could have just said "oh, but then more greeks came and kicked their asses" but that is so weak. I don't think it could have ended better.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
    edited March 2007

So awesome.

If leonidas just died, there would be no real conclusion. I suppose the narrator could have just said "oh, but then more greeks came and kicked their asses" but that is so weak. I don't think it could have ended better.

Showing that huge CG army was so lame it's laughable. The story was supposed to be about their sacrifice it should have ended with that ultimate sacrifice not with the happy ending that was just basically, "a year later we got some more guys and then we all yelled and went to war and won, now leave the theater smiling because we copped out the ending for ya"

Cheeto on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

So awesome.

Showing that huge CG army was so lame it's laughable. The story was supposed to be about their sacrifice it should have ended with that ultimate sacrifice not with the happy ending that was just basically, "a year later we got some more guys and then we all yelled and went to war and won, now leave the theater smiling because we copped out the ending for ya"

Uh, they didn't "cop out" on that ending. The Greeks beat the Persians, took around 20years but they beat them. There are these things called history books, maybe you should open one every once in a while

Algertman on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Algertman wrote: »

So awesome.

Uh, they didn't "cop out" on that ending. The Greeks beat the Persians, took around 20years but they beat them. There are these things called history books, maybe you should open one every once in a while

There's no point in arguing with him. These are the same people who bitched about the ending to Return of the King and wanted a special new retcon ending where Frodo and Sam died in a fucking lava flow because it would have been better pacing, or they needed to pee, or because pie.

Whatever. Idiots.

Regina Fong on
  • MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    BITCH BITCH WHINE!

Whatever. Idiots.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Actually, Platea was a year after Thermopylae

Fencingsax on
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The whole point of the 300 dying was to inspire the rest of Greece to get off their asses and fight. Thats why Leonidas sent Dilios away, so he could make sure the story got told.

Leaving out that Leonidas's sacrifice worked, and did inspire the greeks to band together to fight Xerxes's army would have been lame imo.

Besides, seeing 10,000 Spartans ready to destroy some folks was awesome.

Snake Gandhi on