As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MLP: FiM: For the New Lunar Old Republic

• Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Having juuuuust now watched the new HDD cartoon, I gotta say that it's honestly the first one that I liked. Then again... I found Elfen Lied hilarious, and I consider both Hostel movies to be dark comedies, so... take that as you will. ;)

As for the new FiM today:
    Once again, I love how the show sets up, and then subverts tropes. "Indiana Jones episode... BUT NO BOULDER. In fact, it's now BOND." Also, the absolute spin into crazytown it took during the last act. Holy shit, that was fantastic.

The show continues to push the TV-Y envelope as far as it can go.
    TV-Y
    (All ages 2 and older)

Whether animated or live-action, the themes and elements in this program are specifically designed for a very young audience, including children from ages 2–6. These programs are not expected to frighten younger children.

:lol:

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    rc_tech wrote:
    Daring Do and the Sapphire Stone.
    Daring Do and the Griffon's Goblet.
    Daring Do and the Prisoner of Appaloosa.
    I bet there are fanfics being written right now.
    Wow, how did I miss that reference. I guess I was too focused on the Indiana Jones homage parts.

• Options
    LadyM wrote:
    rc_tech wrote:
    Daring Do and the Sapphire Stone.
    Daring Do and the Griffon's Goblet.
    Daring Do and the Prisoner of Appaloosa.
    I bet there are fanfics being written right now.
    Wow, how did I miss that reference. I guess I was too focused on the Indiana Jones homage parts.
    The reference to old pulp novels? It was very fitting for the time period portrayed, indeed.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    spoilered for long (not about this episode)
    06a.png

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Caedere wrote:
    The reference to old pulp novels? It was very fitting for the time period portrayed, indeed.

No, the Harry Potter title references. :D

Sapphire Stone = Sorceror's Stone
    Griffon's Goblet = Goblet of Fire

Though the cover definitely had that great, adventure pulp feel, too.
    This episode was so awesome that only now do I find time to comment on the Wolverine and Spider-Man references!

Ha ha ha, love the Dr. Whooves comic!

LadyM on
  • Options
    LadyM wrote:
    Caedere wrote:

No, the Harry Potter title references. :D

Sapphire Stone = Sorceror's Stone
    Griffon's Goblet = Goblet of Fire

Though the cover definitely had that great, adventure pulp feel, too.
    This episode was so awesome that only now do I find time to comment on the Wolverine and Spider-Man references!

Ha ha ha, love the Dr. Whooves comic!

Whoa, you're right. Very nice.

Also,
    SabreMau wrote:
    Also, upcoming episode:
    Upcoming Episode “Putting Your Hoof Down” (S02E19)

Air date: March 3, 2012, 15:00 UTC (10 a.m. EST) (time not confirmed)

Synopsis: “Iron Will helps Fluttershy become assertive.”

This likely means there's a one-week gap, no new episode on Feb 25th.

FINALLY.
    A Fluttershy episode this season! Doing the math, that means this episode will be about 30% cooler than the one we just watched. Each episode being 10% cooler than one just before it, of course.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    E15CL.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2012
    SabreMau wrote:
    E15CL.jpg
    Very nice speedpaint. Impressive! They only had 45 minutes to work with, which looks about right, given the quality.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    PhantomFoxPhantomFox MarylanRegistered User regular
    Personal episode notes:
    I gotta say that I like this one.
    Notes:
    Bored Dash montage - great.
    Gotta love a good Indiana Jones parody.
    Tigers, Panthers, Lynx, and Leopards don't belong together. But this IS a book of pulp adventure, so...
    Ceiling Gators are best trap ever.
    "Forget it, I'm just going to grab the idol."
    Rainbow reading all night under the covers with a flashlight lantern (nice touch with the fireflies). Hands up if you've done that!
    Scenes with Dash trying to get rid of her friends are okay... but the adventure scenes are better.
    However, Cloudsdale Battleship is going to have a ruleset before the day is out, I'm sure of that.
    I'm told that the villain is an Ahuizotl from Aztec mythology, accurate down to the nose-eyes and tail-hand.
    I gotta love the Doc. A case of lazyitus indeed! We need a name for him, stat!
    Ninja Dash is a great scene. I love how she's essentially acting out the book. Speaking of which...
    Dash: Vine swing across the river!
    Others: Use the bridge!
    Is the barking pony related to Screwball any? I guess she got out of the Mental ward. I hereby dub her Loose Screw.
    Decent moral, not heavy handed, and not essential, so no time wasted on this.
    I believe this is the first time we've seen the inside of Dash's house?

Still wish there was a Reading Rainbow parody song. Oh well, can't win them all.

Solid episode, would watch again.

BannerAd1-3.jpg
    A new story updating Mondays.
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    new MLP.mov on youtubes. NSFW/sane people

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    PhantomFox wrote:
    Personal episode notes:
    I gotta say that I like this one.
    Notes:
    Bored Dash montage - great.
    Gotta love a good Indiana Jones parody.
    Tigers, Panthers, Lynx, and Leopards don't belong together. But this IS a book of pulp adventure, so...
    Ceiling Gators are best trap ever.
    "Forget it, I'm just going to grab the idol."
    Rainbow reading all night under the covers with a flashlight lantern (nice touch with the fireflies). Hands up if you've done that!
    Scenes with Dash trying to get rid of her friends are okay... but the adventure scenes are better.
    However, Cloudsdale Battleship is going to have a ruleset before the day is out, I'm sure of that.
    I'm told that the villain is an Ahuizotl from Aztec mythology, accurate down to the nose-eyes and tail-hand.
    I gotta love the Doc. A case of lazyitus indeed! We need a name for him, stat!
    Ninja Dash is a great scene. I love how she's essentially acting out the book. Speaking of which...
    Dash: Vine swing across the river!
    Others: Use the bridge!
    Is the barking pony related to Screwball any? I guess she got out of the Mental ward. I hereby dub her Loose Screw.
    Decent moral, not heavy handed, and not essential, so no time wasted on this.
    I believe this is the first time we've seen the inside of Dash's house?

Still wish there was a Reading Rainbow parody song. Oh well, can't win them all.

Solid episode, would watch again.

some notes on your notes
    I think the tiger, panther, leopard, lynx and house cat were all the pets of Ahuizotl. because he is basically a Bond villain

I think we've seen the inside of dash's house before. but I wish they had tank flying around

im sure the fans will have a Reading Rainbow PMV out today or tomorrow

• Options
    I thought the variety of cats was a subtle joke about how pulp adventure books often used whatever animal seemed "cool" enough, regardless of where they came from. (For example, in the original Tarzan books he didn't fight a leopard, he fought a TIGER. In Africa.

What really made me think that was the lynx. If it had been a lion, tiger, cheetah, and panther (and puddytat) I'd be less certain it was intentional. But that was like, "Okay, now the NORTH AMERICAN cat! Heehee!" ;)

• Options
    rc_techrc_tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Spoilering spoiled the autosize...
    1248432020artist3agaval.png

rc_tech on
    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis
  • Options
    thepizzaelementalthepizzaelemental Registered User regular
    LadyM wrote:
    I thought the variety of cats was a subtle joke about how pulp adventure books often used whatever animal seemed "cool" enough, regardless of where they came from. (For example, in the original Tarzan books he didn't fight a leopard, he fought a TIGER. In Africa.

What really made me think that was the lynx. If it had been a lion, tiger, cheetah, and panther (and puddytat) I'd be less certain it was intentional. But that was like, "Okay, now the NORTH AMERICAN cat! Heehee!" ;)
    Yeah, that's probably what they were going for. Accuracy was not the goal in the kinds of stories they homaged this episode. That's a word, right?

MH3: B77AE9 - Natou
  • Options
    LadyM wrote:

I think both jokes are there.

when the lynx showed up, i was thinking "thats not right" and then the puddytat happened and I thought "ok I see what you did there"

then at the end of the story, Ahuizotl is sitting in his throne admiring the sapphire stone with the puddytat in his lap, the tiger and panther laying down at either side of the throne, the leopard at his feet, and the lynx on top of the throne. which leads me to believe that they are all, in fact his pets

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Whoah, a Rainbow Dash episode that was actually about Rainbow Dash! :O

That was pretty great.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I agree that they were his pets as well. Suddenly the white puddytat made sense.

• Options
    thepizzaelementalthepizzaelemental Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote:

Can't hear ya, ah'm asleep!

MH3: B77AE9 - Natou
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    After staying home after surgery for a week. I completely relate to this episode.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    this episode was so good

so good

• Options
    this episode was undeniably

unquestionably

un-lame

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote:
    Okay.

So... Who's Emmy C?

Neil C's sister.

the C's are very talented

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote:
    this episode was undeniably

unquestionably

un-lame

right, right :)

really, this was probably the best episode yet

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Seems like apple.mov was a fluke.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Shed sure was different, oh internet.

FINALLY A FUCKIN FLUTTERSHY EPISODE. Not to crazy on the premise though.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    BoomerjinksBoomerjinks Denver, ColoradoRegistered User regular
    So lately I have been going B-A-N-A-N-A-S with a little project of mine. Basically I'm producing posters of iconic vehicles from tv and movies. I started with 5 designs, but then I started getting all kinds of suggestions and I'm now at 56.

#54 shows a little bit of Brony love :)

horseballoon.jpg
    http://www.moviecarposters.com/brony-balloon/

You tell 'em I'm postin'! And Hell's postin' with me!
    c3hBq.jpg
    Check out Colorado Movie Cars! It's amazing!
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    For those who don't see what it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbBbV_zP1d8

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Kinda sad that wasn't dubbed over with "it's pikachu!"

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Wren wrote:
    new MLP.mov on youtubes. NSFW/sane people
    shed.mov
    wren, get that the fuck out of here. it's already been stated as too much for this thread, and posting in spoiler is still posting it.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Eh, I think this is one fine for the thread, Dress was over the line by preview image alone.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Not sure if anyone else noticed it, but the big cats seem to have found weapons during one scene.

hU9e9.jpg

• Options
    I figure if its on youtube, its pretty safe. and the first one was pretty good too. didnt care much for the second in the .mov series

tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Blendtec wrote:
    Not sure if anyone else noticed it, but the big cats seem to have found weapons during one scene.

hU9e9.jpg

oh, so it was a cheetah

and wren, just because something is on youtube, doesn't mean we can post it in the thread. for instance: we can't post full episodes of the show in here, even though they are on youtube

now go write a letter to the Princess about what you've learned

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The second one had disturbing sexual stuff. This one is just violence and shitty humor, so I think it's fine.

But, this ain't my jurisdiction.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    yeah, but you also know for a fact that this thread is under stricter rules than most anywhere else.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    The second one had disturbing sexual stuff. This one is just violence and shitty humor, so I think it's fine.

But, this ain't my jurisdiction.

did the second one have sexual stuff? I don't really remember that from it

tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    WE BEING ALL INNOCENT AND NOT TALKING ABOUT CREEPY SHIT IN HERE?

BECAUSE I WOULD HATE TO SEE US TALKING ABOUT CREEPY SHIT.

HERE'S SOME MOTHERFUCKING DARING DO

jmbUL.png

SHE'S GOING ON AN ADVENTURE TO ADORABLE LAND.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    I noticed the tiger with the mace right away. Next time I sign up for a site or something, I'm using TigerWithAMace as my screenname.

I really like the way they design animals. They fit in with the aesthetic of the show, but at the same time are very accurate with regards to markings and such. The "racing stripes" on the cheetah's face, for example.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    daring_do_by_hope_loneheart-d4om5rj.png
    daring_do_the_adventurer_by_raikoh14-d4omk59.jpg
    my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-organization.jpg

also, I think this is the first time they've actually shown written words in english

Rd_holding_daring_do_book.png

Joolander on
This discussion has been closed.