As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me fill a day in Johannesburg

SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhexRegistered User regular
edited February 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm heading to Johannesburg on short notice next week, and it's looking like I'll have an afternoon/evening and a morning free before I head back. I'll be staying in Sandton and I'll probably have a car (though I may decide in the end not to rent one).

Anyone have recommendations for how to spend the time? Pretty much everything I know about Johannesburg I've learned from District 9 and the World Cup, so basically I'm expecting a giant alien spaceship to be hovering above the city while having to endure the din of constant vuvuzelas. I would like to be corrected.

can you feel the struggle within?
Six on

• Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Like jerky? Get some Biltong. Like Chicken? Go eat at a Nando's (yeah they have them in the states now too whatever Go eat at the original! Peri Peri Chicken Mecca!).
    Ooh, and their Carnivore restaurant (unlike ours in Kenya) actually serves game and other crazy meats. Zebra is supposed to be pretty good. (The meat is farm raised, not hunted.) It's basically a Brazilian meat buffet, if you've ever been to one of those.
    Umm, like the beach? Fly and hour to Capetown.
    There's museums (apartheid, military, and Mandela's house I've heard good things about) and game drives, if that's your thing. Shaka-land is apparently pretty neat if you're into Zulu stuff, but far and in the middle of nowhere.

There is much less alien metaphor representing Apartheid and much more actual repercussions from racial inequality than District 9 would have you believe.

Have you been to Africa before?
    Most of the advice I've heard about South Africa in general is 'don't be a stupid white guy and get shot'. It's not that crime is super terrible, but it's well armed.

I haven't been, but my friend has several times. I'll have more advice on Jo-burg things to do if I can talk to her.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I've never been to Africa, this will be my first trip.

I'm likely not going to do anything too far from where I'm staying, as I may have other meetings I'll need to be in the area for. The food recommendations are very helpful, thanks.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    You know they do 1 day and 1/2 day safaris.

There's a cheeta and elephant rescue centre nearby (or within the scope of a day trip) according to these people.
    You after an Africa trip, or specifically a Jo'burg one?