Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Natural Selection 2 Beta] "Gorilla" update release! Onoses, Jetpacks, ns2_mineshaft!

ZekZek Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Games and Technology

The Gorilla update has been released, featuring Onoses, Jetpacks, a new map called Mineshaft and a bunch of other stuff too! Pre-order this game and play it now! Changes:
Spoiler:

What is Natural Selection?
NS1 (Natural Selection 1) is total modification for 1998 classic first-person shooter, Half-Life. At the height of its popularity, it was the second most played mod for the game only second to Counter-Strike. It considered one of the most ambitious mods ever, pushing the goldSource engine to its limits in implementing its FPS/RTS blend of gameplay. Sufficient to say, it is insanely awesome.
Two teams compete to wipe the other out, the two being the Trans-System Authority (TSA) and the Khaara (commonly known as aliens). The two sides have completely different styles of play. The one similarity between the two sides is the capturing of Resource Nodes, which with the aid of a Resource Tower will funnel resources to the team.
The TSA Marines are lead by a single person who assumed the position of Commander who controls the TSA resources. Playing the game from a bird-eye’s perspective as RTS games are wont to do, he or she govern the marine’s strategy, place down structures to be built, research upgrades and finally, hand out equipment. Yes, unless the commander hands you a shotgun – you can’t have one.
The Aliens have a much more independent playing style, where each individual got a share of the resource stream. In addition, instead of depending on equipment, players got the ability to evolve into various classes with each one having a specific role. The aliens required as much teamwork as the marines to be successful and communication was key. Gorges (builders) were responsible to expand the infrastructure, which meant the individual loses the opportunity to get access to the more expensive classes to benefit the entire team.
There is a [Game On] going on right now, you can go to that thread for more information about NS1 and an opportunity to play with some fine gentlemen.

What is Natural Selection 2?
NS2 is the stand-alone sequel to the popular modification which garnered more than 2 million downloads. However, unlike its predecessor it won’t be free. Unknown worlds a company made up of 5 developers and with a recent addition of a dozen or so interns are the minds behind this project. NS2 is designed to be a lot more accessible and modern, which is a welcome relief because the original had intricacy of a maze filled with rubrics cubes. They also said they are going to put depth before accessibility… but it’s hard to tell anything right now because know very, very little.
What we know can be summarized as not much. We know it is based off NS1 and over the couple of years; there is a gaunt list of information pruned from the developers. There is also a minute long teaser that was release recently. That isn’t much, but the pedigree of NS1 is extraordinary. Unknown Worlds is taking pre-orders for two versions of the game, the Standard Edition for 19.95 (game + beta access) and the Special Edition (game + beta and alpha access + special cosmetic black armor) for 39.95. So once the game comes out, the special edition amounts to paying twice as much for the game for the equivalent of horse armor. And you know what? 98% (as of May 30th, 2009) of all pre-orders were for the Special Edition.

Okay, my interest is piqued. What else do I need to know?
Most people should be able to play NS2. The requirements are not very steep: 1.2 GHz Processor, 256MB RAM, a DirectX 9 level graphics card, Windows Vista/2000/XP, mouse, keyboard and an internet connection. If you don’t have a Windows computer, the developers want to (funds permitting) to release Mac and Linux versions of the game. You can use one CD Key for any versions, but you may be logged on at only one particular computer at a single time.
The preordering the game gives you a stand-alone executable version of the game that will probably (highly unlikely it wouldn’t be) will be steam compatible. You can buy the game from steam at a later time when the game is closer to completion. So what are you waiting for? Buy now!

Additional Resources:

http://www.naturalselection2.com (Offical Site)
http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/ (Developer Blog, has juicy information)
http://www.play4dead.com/ns2/ (Development update tracker)

Zek on

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I am actually thinking about buying this.
    I loved the first Natural Selection and this looks great. I am however hesitant because I have no friends who own it and playing with US PAers is high ping central for me.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CA Registered User regular
    Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig update! I hope they meet their Fall '09 release date target!

I'm being snarky but Natural Selection is in my top 5 games of all time. NS2 could be a piece of shit and I would still love it, and from what I've seen and played so far it's not going to be a piece of shit. It's taking them forever to make the thing, but I'm not complaining. It still looks as good as any other modern game, and even if it looked like crap, NS is all about the amazing strategy, teamworks, tactics, etc. And aliens. Walking on the walls.

Basically I love Natural Selection.

• ZxerolZxerol The fullest, most luscious beard. Registered User regular
    Damn, I had forgotten that this game exists and, in fact, still hasn't been released yet.

To be fair, this is made by 6 guys, right?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Is this going to have a LAN option?

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Yeah unknown worlds is tiny. Like 6-7 people tops I believe.

Picked this up today, played 2 rounds, feels like NS1 and is awesome.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig update! I hope they meet their Fall '09 release date target!

:lol:

I liked the original and currently play Nuclear Dawn, and forgot all about this.

steam_sig.png
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    So is it stable and relatively complete now?

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote:

Klyka if you're around later do you want to play some rounds of NS2?

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Damnit, stop making me want this game. Saw the article on RPS about it this morning and was highly intrigued.

Perfect timing because I just got a new router that actually works...but horrible timing because I'm broke. Bah.

camo_sig2.png
    TheGerbil wrote:
    Klyka wrote:

Klyka if you're around later do you want to play some rounds of NS2?

Sure, when is later? Just message me on Steam when you see me.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • DoomninjaDoomninja Registered User regular
    holy shit.... I pre ordered - but I almost just want to wait for release at this point OMG. So cool looking... /fanboy.

1154825-1.png
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Thinking I will grab this tonight, people are actually playing on the Aussie servers.

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Zek wrote:
    Additional Resources:[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    www.naturalselection2.com (Offical Site)
    www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/ (Developer Blog, has juicy information)
    http://www.play4dead.com/ns2/ (Development update tracker)

@Zek fyi these first two links don't work. I assume it's because they're missing "http://" but I'm no computer whiz.

camo_sig2.png
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    It's pretty stable; nobody complains about lag or stuttering anymore, and it finally has smoothness in the range of modern released shooters

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    These days the only performance problems I have are server-side, sometimes it deteriorates over the course of the game. If you notice a lot of stuttering as you move around that's what it is - some servers are better about it than others

If you type "net_stats" into the console you can see server stats - when "Server Rate" is low(below 20ish), the server you're on is having problems which will impact gameplay.

Zek on
  • DomhnallDomhnall Registered User regular
    It is ridiculous how bad I am at this game. I went about 7-15.....

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte Registered User regular
    Man, I preordered this back in the day to get me some delicious preorder armor skin, but never got around to actually playing it, mostly because it never seemed to be finished, plus other things showed up along the way.

Gonna have to fix that.

• TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    Not sure if I like the idea of having a "commander". Is the game designed where you can get by if he's screwing around or if he's doing absolutely nothing? Otherwise this game looks really good.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CA Registered User regular
    Not sure if I like the idea of having a "commander". Is the game designed where you can get by if he's screwing around or if he's doing absolutely nothing? Otherwise this game looks really good.
    No, you can't win if your commander is dicking around, any more than you can win in Starcraft if your teammate is dicking around. One of the key innovations of Natural Selection is fusing the RTS and FPS genres. If you made the game winnable without the RTS part, then it wouldn't really be much of a fusion, would it?

• UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    I remember years ago, when I was following Flayra and his team as they produced this, one of the arguments about creating their own engine instead of working with existing ones is that they really, really wanted to implement volumetric flame with the flamethrowers (ie, you could spray into the entrance of a vent and the fire would spread up and around corners and stuff to fill in the space and kill lots of stuff inside). Did they do that? The flamethrower I am seeing here doesn't look much different than what you'd see in any game.

Still looks neat though. Brings back fond memories of the original.

SteamID : same as my PA forum name
    I think I understand the game now. Only as aliens though as thats all I've got to really play. I havent seen too many people using flamethrowers and I've never seen anyone shoot some flames into a vent. This si from only 2 hours of playtime though. I wish I had a decent PC when NS1 was around. This is fun and its great when you have a real commander.

Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • BadwrongBadwrong Registered User regular
    I have this beta... seems fun. No idea whats going on though, but if anyone wants to play my steam username http://steamcommunity.com/id/bucwild

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

Nintendo ID's:
    NA - Badwrong : 4957-3490-9987
    JP - ネイト : 0877-2695-0293

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Sometimes I stream stuff: http://www.twitch.tv/dr_pepper_addiction
    So as a alien you actively evolve. As a marine do you just get passive upgrades your commander decides to give you?

Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Domhnall wrote:
    So as a alien you actively evolve. As a marine do you just get passive upgrades your commander decides to give you?

You get the passive upgrades, yes and you can buy new weapons/jetpack etc...
    No heavy armor yet, I think?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited February 2012
    No, you can't win if your commander is dicking around, any more than you can win in Starcraft if your teammate is dicking around. One of the key innovations of Natural Selection is fusing the RTS and FPS genres. If you made the game winnable without the RTS part, then it wouldn't really be much of a fusion, would it?

Okay, so the question is then "Does it happen often?" or "How does somebody become a commander"? Random selection?

I like the idea of fusing an FPS with an RTS, I do, which is why I might end up getting the game anyway once it's closer to release. I just need to know if this is something that happens often or very rarely. I'd find it hard to believe that something/somebody like this never shows up, intentional or otherwise.

TolerantZero on
    Commander is the guy who gets into the command console first.
    I think you can vote him out of it though. At least you could in NS1 I think.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • HonkHonk Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Awesome!

I haven't played since they first opened the alpha to pre-orderers. Will download again.

edited February 2012
    they just recently made it so you can vote the comm out, and no, flamethrowers don't have that functionality (yet). Dynamic infestation looks a bit better though.

Trying to bait an onos into mines is still absolutely terrifying though

Paladin on
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    Alright, voting sounds good. I'll keep an eye out for this when I get the money for it.

I am definately the worst person at this game. Doesn't help that people don't take my onos charge as the cue to get the fuck in there and rip some stuff up. So often have an entire alien force held at bay by a bunch of mariens stuck in one area with a bunch of sentry guns.

Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte Registered User regular
    Domhnall wrote:
    So often have an entire alien force held at bay by a bunch of mariens stuck in one area with a bunch of sentry guns.
    So they've captured the feel of the original perfectly?

Domhnall wrote:
    I am definately the worst person at this game. Doesn't help that people don't take my onos charge as the cue to get the fuck in there and rip some stuff up. So often have an entire alien force held at bay by a bunch of mariens stuck in one area with a bunch of sentry guns.

go bile bombs; they've gotten better than they were a few updates ago

let the dumber people take onos and be a damage sponge while you practice taking full advantage of not being shot at in a marine base.

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png