As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hakuoki] Sexy Samurai on Your PSP this Valentine's Day

SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' CanuckRegistered User regular
edited February 2012 in Games and Technology
Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom is one of the first otome games to be released in North America, brought to us by the nifty people at Aksys Games*.

le_content.jpg

Hey, Swashubuckler, what's an otome game?

I'm glad you asked, hypothetical forumer! Otome is a genre of Japanese game in which a female character plays the lead role, and there are various male characters in the game who serve as romantic interests for the lead.

chizuruyukimura.jpg
This is Chizuru, the lead character in Hakuoki. Note the lack of chainmail bikini or schoolgirl uniform. She's kind of an everywoman type of character.

Eww, that sounds all girly and shit. Girls have cooties!

Ah, but Hakuoki is more than a romance game! While otome games take various forms, this one is an interactive visual novel with a historical fiction setting--basically a Choose Your Own Adventure. It's set in Japan's Edo period, which is the awesome time when there were samurai and cool stuff like that. There's also a supernatural twist, as can be seen by the demony guy and the blood on the front cover.

Visual novel? But books are gay!**

This particular novel appears to be quite heterosexual, but it goes without saying that if you don't like reading, you probably won't appreciate Hakuoki. Philistine.

OK, OK, so tell me about the samurai and cool stuff like that.

Well, these guys aren't technically samurai. This story takes place near the end of the Edo period, when the shogunate was pretty much going to pot. A lot of samurai were no longer under the heavy thumb of their former masters, and some of them were wreaking havoc on the local populace. In answer to that abuse of power, a group of swordsmen formed up to champion the common people, calling themselves the Shinsengumi. They were basically self-made samurai, and their story is very popular in Japan.

group1_480x272.jpg
Here they are, five sexy guys and the one with the ponytail.

In this version of the Shinsengumi story, Chizuru shows up in Kyoto looking for her missing father. This interests the Shinsengumi, who are also looking for Chizuru's dad, and she becomes tangled up in their business as the game progresses. Chizuru will make choices throughout the story, and the second half of the game will change greatly depending on which of the lads she becomes closest to. Each Shinsengumi's story has a positive and negative ending, making for lots of replayability... plus the game has features that let you pick up the story from any point and see the different outcomes of your choices.

Heeeey, wait, this is a PSP game? But the PSP is lame!

Shut up, there are lots of great games on the PSP. Also, Hakuoki will be available for downloadable purchase, so you should be able to pick it up for your Vita.

OK, when's it out and where can I learn more?

It's out on Valentine's Day, of course. Here the official site, which has some fun pretend magazine articles about the guys on it.

So, how about it? I'm not personally a Harlequin romance type of girl, but I got interested in this game due to the setting and because I think it's pretty cool of Aksys to take a chance with an otome game like this. Anybody else thinking of picking it up?

*I do not work for Aksys Games in any way, shape, or form. I just read some of their Twitter feeds, and they're pretty cool.
** G&T Secret Santa In-Joke

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
SwashbucklerXX on

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Already preordered, especially to support VNs being localized. I usually loathe Idea Factory titles, but the story here seems very interesting.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Preordered and looking forward to this. This will be my first Otome game.

It'll be nice to play a good story-focused visual novel that's not fan-translated.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote:
    Already preordered, especially to support VNs being localized. I usually loathe Idea Factory titles, but the story here seems very interesting.

Yeah, Idea Factory's titles tend to have iffy gameplay, but we don't have to worry about that as much in visual novel format.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    this was totally unexpected.

an otome game. for the psp. localized.

buying this immediately.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    So uh, it's out and all.

I'm up to some pretty real events already. Go Saitou go!

TL;DR thoughts-

-The paths are obtuse as heck. Decide first, ramifications later.
    -Great art.
    -Decent-mediocre music, great OP though.
    -Solid VA.
    -Saitou > all

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Finished my first playthrough today. The paths are definitely obtuse... I managed to romance Toudou, literally my last choice of the romanceable guys. You know what, though? I really enjoyed his storyline, which was quite sweet because he's probably one of the most innocent of the guys. I will quite enjoy going back and seeing the different storylines.

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote:

Aw, c'mon, the Agarest War series is pretty good! Eh, I don't know about this one, though...

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Waiting for the Vita to arrive before I read this, but looking forward to it.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Do not own a PSP, but I have to say, I'm intrigued by the premise and pleased that the game got a localization.

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote:
    Do not own a PSP, but I have to say, I'm intrigued by the premise and pleased that the game got a localization.
    I'd be more impressed if Hatoful Boyfriend gets a localization.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Considering picking this up for my girlfriend and letting her extended loan my PSP. She loved Princess Debut, the only other Otome game I even know exists in North America.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Considering picking this up for my girlfriend and letting her extended loan my PSP. She loved Princess Debut, the only other Otome game I even know exists in North America.

This one is very good, but probably couldn't be much more different from Princess Debut in tone and content. It's heavy on blood, war, and dramatic decisions, and even the good endings tend towards the bittersweet. I personally love that about it, it's just that nobody should go into the game expecting a Hollywood-style happily ever after. These guys are ultimately on the losing end of history (Can one spoil history? Eh.) along with having a few other problems that would be actually spoilerish to talk about.

Played through Okita's ending this morning... the first half of the game can be fast-forwarded through with the exception of new scenes that you see based on having made different decisions. The second half of the game is completely different when you're with a different guy.

SwashbucklerXX on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    Did anyone else here watch the anime or was it just played in my house?

http://myanimelist.net/anime/6895/Hakuouki

It was released about two years ago.

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    B:L wrote:
    Synthesis wrote:
    Here you go.

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Glal wrote:
    B:L wrote:
    Synthesis wrote:
    Here you go.

Everybirdie who's anybirdie should give this game a shot.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Lord Jezo wrote:
    Did anyone else here watch the anime or was it just played in my house?

http://myanimelist.net/anime/6895/Hakuouki

It was released about two years ago.

I watched it. Wasn't overly impressed, but I'm burned out pretty hard on samurai stuff. Great production values, though.

• Options
    Oh snap.
    October 30, 2012 – Aksys Games proudly announces that the men of the hit series Hakuoki are back and ready for some action! Hakuoki: Warriors of the Shinsengumi will be available for the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, offering fans cut-‘em-down action, yet staying true to its Hakuoki roots with a powerful story of adventure. Play as Saito, Hijikata or the four other main characters from the Hakuoki series in an alternate storyline and change the fate of the Shinsengumi, or relive the events of Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom, the hit 2012 visual novel! Unlock two characters for use in free play, and use special attacks and deadly strikes to plow through hordes of enemies in this action-packed follow-up to the 2012 hit! For more information, go to the official Hakuoki: Warriors of the Shinsengumi website now!

Hakuoki: Warriors of the Shinsengumi Key Features

Two Major Storylines – Play through events of Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom with each of the six playable characters, or change history in “Shinsengumi Chronicle”!

Shinsengumi Chronicle – Change history as any one of the six main characters in “Shinsengumi Chronicle” mode. Play in an alternate universe where you control the fate of the Shinsengumi!

Shinsengumi Memorial – Step into the shoes of your favorite samurai and play through battles from Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom. Join in on the action as you battle your way through Kyoto in “Shinsengumi Memorial” mode.

Fury Mode – When a character’s life is spent, he will enter Fury Mode, unleashing an inner ferocious killing machine, able to tear down anyone that gets in his way. However, becoming a Fury too many times can unlock a particularly bad ending.

Slash & Slaughter with Furious Attacks – Each character is equipped with several different attacks, allowing players to plow through numerous enemies at once. Keep tabs on how many foes you’ve taken down, pick up dropped items, and level up to achieve even greater strength.

Hakuoki: Warriors of the Shinsengumi has not been rated by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board. For more information, visit www.hakuoki.com.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Sea of ThornsSea of Thorns Registered User regular
    So I'm confused. Is this just the visual novel with some additional hack n' slash gameplay tacked on? Or is it more of a Dynasty Warriors type game? I'm more interested in the story than the fighting, so is it safe to assume that this new game is going to condense a lot of the plot?