As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hero Academy] Tycho Brahe Memorial - Congrats Brew!

• Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    The Dwarves are coming!! The Dwarves are coming!! Feb. 22nd. The Engineer can shield a crystal!

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Sharp10r wrote:
    The Dwarves are coming!! The Dwarves are coming!! Feb. 22nd. The Engineer can shield a crystal!

I am excited.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote:
    I understand that everyone get one super unit but how many if everything else do you get?

1 superunit
    3 of each other unit
    3 helmets, shield/regenthingies, swords
    2 scrolls, potions, inferno/soulharvest

Sharp10r's checklist has too many boxes for potions

• Options
    wonderpug wrote:
    38thDoe wrote:
    I understand that everyone get one super unit but how many if everything else do you get?

1 superunit
    3 of each other unit
    3 helmets, shield/regenthingies, swords
    2 scrolls, potions, inferno/soulharvest

Sharp10r's checklist has too many boxes for potions
    Ah! Thanks.

• Options
    BrewBrew Registered User regular
    admanb wrote:
    Sharp10r wrote:

I am excited.
    "Gamecenter is also coming to Hero Academy with support for achievements and leaderboards"
    If I don't get burned out on the game by the turney then I will be excited for this too :)

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I'm not a big fan of knockback on the knights, hopefully the dwarf super unit having knock back won't be too bad

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoe wrote:
    I'm not a big fan of knockback on the knights, hopefully the dwarf super unit having knock back won't be too bad

You don't think the knockback is useful to have or you don't like going up against it?

• Options
    I really like knockback/pull as a strategic tool. I would go so far as to say that creating a faction without access to it would be problematic.

• Options
    admanb wrote:
    I would go so far as to say that creating a faction without access to it would be problematic.

Especially so with the Dwarves having increased benefits from bonus tiles. Since the bonus tiles are already game-changers, I can't imagine what the Dwarves will be like on them. With all that area damage, it'll be easy for them to tag crystals after getting a unit on the crystal damage, and the Dwarf superunit on an attack damage tile could be terrifying.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Well I resigned against wonderpug when I was down to 3 units to his 6 or 7 units including superunit. That was quite a thrashing.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Knockback? Yeah...just don't get in a knockback trap like JamWarrior put me in!
    knockback1.png
    He brings out a 2nd knight...uh oh I can see where this is going...
    knockback2.png
    OUCH! Well at least I'm out of his- HEY What was that?
    knockback3.png
    Tennis is a fun sport unless you're the ball!

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    Group B

I won both my MikeDanger matches and both my Dracil matches.

I think that's it for my round 1 matches, so if you're someone who used to regularly play matches with me and I told you "aah! Let's hold off until the tournament quiets down," please shoot me a game invite!

Group B, thanks for the matches! It was fun seeing units used in some new ways I hadn't seen before, and I've already worked some of the tactics I saw you folks use into my matches vs. randoms.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Elf pong was amusing but to be honest it didn't achieve much. With a damage upgrade the life leech effect can make an elf damn hard to put down.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I believe that my group is just about done with their games. We're waiting on, I think, three games to finish.

• Options
    I am finishing my last match with ROldford/Jacoby, then I'm done with my games at least!

• Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Dwarves next week and a new map. Super excited. Between this and Vita next week is going to be amazing.

• Options
    Jacoby, what're your thoughts on whether or not to have Dwarves allowed in the next rounds of the tourney?

• Options
    edited February 2012
    wonderpug wrote:
    Jacoby, what're your thoughts on whether or not to have Dwarves allowed in the next rounds of the tourney?

My own feeling would be no. On the off-chance the Dwarves come out really out-of-balance with the other two races (in either direction) it would suck to sour the results of the tournament halfway through.

admanb on
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'd say leave them out for at least the next round. If they seem fine by the finals, we can use them then.

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    That makes sense to me.

• Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    It is fair to avoid an unknown quantity like Dwarves. It will totally sour my all-random record though

• Options
    We will get the new board thrown into the mix though. I don't think there is a way to exclude that.

steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • Options
    Yah, but a new board can't have too serious an effect. It may give a slight advantage to Humans or Dark Elves, but I can't imagine it being enough that we'd notice an unbalance.

A new faction could (probably won't, but could) be seriously out-of-whack with the existing two.

• Options
    The new board will throw us some curveballs, but we should all be equally befuddled. ;)

Ao3YX.png

• Options
    On top of the unbalance, the Dwarves are an unknown quantity. No one's had a chance to play as them and work out strategies, or play against them and work out counter-strategies.

I was thinking that once we've got a few more teams, it might be fun to have a "best team ever" tournament. Everyone would sign up to play as one team (and one team only) for the competition. The qualifier round would have several groups with each team represented, and we'd try to find the player with the best record using that team (i.e. best Dark Elves player, best Council player, etc.). The finals would again have each team represented, and best record wins.

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    FInished my Round 1 matches; solid games from everybody in Group D (including some real good down-to-the-last-character/crystal destruction games). Can't wait to try the Dwarves out, as well.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    FInished my Round 1 matches; solid games from everybody in Group D (including some real good down-to-the-last-character/crystal destruction games). Can't wait to try the Dwarves out, as well.

Down to the last character, to the last move! That loss physically hurt me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Well, looks like I'm late for the tournament, but if anyone is looking for another punching bag, I'm RomanticUndead (no space)

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    SploozooSploozoo Grillaface Richmond VARegistered User regular
    Meh, I guess I'm the only advocate for being able to use the dwarves in round two.

Based on how fairly I think things are currently balanced I doubt the dwarves will be any different.

And since I'm clearly not as skilled as some of the other contenders I think the element of surprise may be my only chance.

But you know, as y'all like it, I'll play my best either way.

Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    I saw on the HA forums that if you want to play a game against someone, they must be playing with the same version. So, if you want to keep the tournament consistent, everyone would have to not upgrade for the duration, but then you wouldn't get the new board, dwarves or the balance tweaks (that are to be detailed in their next Monday blog post, I believe). Considering I am sure that everyone wants to upgrade to see the dwarves ASAP, it might be tricky to keep everyone from upgrading (or you might not want to).
    I'm not in the tourney, but I'm up to do battle with anyone willing: FallenKwisatz

Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    GeorgeFGeorgeF Registered User regular
    schmads wrote:
    I saw on the HA forums that if you want to play a game against someone, they must be playing with the same version.

Ooof, that is annoying. If someone is unable (or doesnt want to spend the money right now) then they are screwed. For me, I just hope they dont require newer versions of IOS. I'm squeaking along with 4.2.1 on my 3GS, and I definitely want to avoid going to 5+ as it will slow things way down.

• Options
    Version upgrades don't require you to spend money.

• Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    GeorgeF wrote:
    schmads wrote:
    I saw on the HA forums that if you want to play a game against someone, they must be playing with the same version.

Ooof, that is annoying. If someone is unable (or doesnt want to spend the money right now) then they are screwed. For me, I just hope they dont require newer versions of IOS. I'm squeaking along with 4.2.1 on my 3GS, and I definitely want to avoid going to 5+ as it will slow things way down.

As was already said, you don't have to pay to upgrade. You won't get the dwarves if you don't pay, but you'll still be able to play against dwarves (I'm assuming you can play against DE's if you haven't bought them) and will get the new board.

Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    I'm feeling like we might finish Round 1 this weekend, which would make the update easier to work with. I'm also making an official ruling that Dwarves will be out for Round 2. I might allow them for the finals.

• Options
    Group C is finished! Congratulations to @Jam Warrior (first place with 10 wins) and @admanb (second place with 7 wins), who move on to Round 2. You can see the full standings in the OP, along with the procedure for Round 2.

• Options
    wakka15wakka15 Registered User new member
    edited February 2012
    I didn't think to check the PA forums for HA opponents until today, and see that I've missed getting into the tournament. Tossing my username out there for any one who's interested in a game: wakka15. I'm currently living in Manila, in the Philippines, by the way, so if you see a multi-hour delay between turns, chances are I'm either working, sleeping, or sleep-working.

wakka15 on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Lost both Corin7 games

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Dracil wrote:
    Lost both Corin7 games

Good games Dracil. Just a few more matches to finish up for me.

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm a little relieved not to be in round 2, actually. Having ten tournament games going at once is pretty draining.

But congrats to everyone in Group C! All the games were much fun.

• Options
    Imperfect wrote:
    I'm a little relieved not to be in round 2, actually. Having ten tournament games going at once is pretty draining.

But congrats to everyone in Group C! All the games were much fun.
    I was thinking the same thing. That was hard!