As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Impress a foreigner with 100 games

DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Games and Technology
I was using IGN's Top 100 Modern games over the last few months, to show a non-gamer some of the best of what gaming, as an activity or artform, has to offer, and I find its usefulness limited, (only games from this "generation", lots of weird no-repeat rules, tries to hard to cover multiple genres and platforms).

I wanted to create my own shortlist of games.

But I'd like to see other's input.

"What games would you show an open-minded non-gamer, to give them the best impressions of the medium?"

Breaking it down: Looking for games that deliver a relatively unique and engaging experience, mostly with respect to gameplay, but particularly good art, or music or something like that works. And they have to be ACCESSIBLE. (see last note on what not to be). Another way to think of it would be what films would you show a person who hadn't really seen many before? You wouldn't show them just the critically lauded stuff, or the classics cuz they're classic, or derivative films or popular films.

Gimmicky games are fine too, if the gimmick actually delivers and provides something good other games do not.

What this list would not be:

-a history lesson. Games that are outdated, for their mechanics or otherwise, would not serve this purpose. It's not about showing them Wolfenstein 3D to show them where shooters came from. Conversely, just because a game is old, does not invalidate its inclusion. Something like "Out of This World" still has a style and feel not captured by many other games since its release, years ago. Lists like that recent one for the big museum showcase are too inclusive of "important" old games.

-junky. if the game is unique or does something super neato that's nice, but if not a standout title with some real quality behind it, it's out.

-pieces from the same pie. If a non-gamer couldn't really differentiate between various games, then there's no point including more than one (the best or most representative one?) IE. Nearly all the modern shooter games could be reduced to a couple entries. All the differentiation is found in the finer points, most appreciated by a gamer who plays these games.

-fair. The goal is not to make sure X console or Y developer or Z series gets a mention. Would there be anything really of note on Xbox that isn't better represented on another platform? Maaaybe Halo? Steel Battalion?!

-for gamers. If the game is too game-y, too involved in strategy or bogged down in numbers and stats, or made for fans of other niche games, it need not be applied. We might get what makes Dwarf Fortress awesome, and it might be interesting to show a non-gamer for a minute or two for the look of it and brief explanation, but you can't expect them to sit down and learn to play or find watching you very interesting.

There doesn't have to be 100 games. More or less, it was just a ballpark idea based off of IGN's thing.

Note: the hypothetical audience person doesn't have to necessarily play these games. So worries about complexity of controls (every button does 3 things and you need to use them all vs a 1 button games) or stuff like that isn't a concern. They can just watch.

And this isn't to get them INTO gaming either.

Good examples:

Another World
Alien vs Predator 2 - first person Alien and Predator gameplay is wonderfully not-dude-with-gun experience
Amnesia: Dark Descent
Amplitude
Bastion
Bayonetta - it's so out there and in your face, good example of the DMC style of games
Black & White (2?)
Bit.Trip (Beat? Runner? both?)
Braid
Comic Jumper - if you know of funnier games, by all means post them
Dead Space (1? 2?)
DJ Hero
Donkey Konga
Doom
Duke Nukem 3D
Elite Beat Agents
Enslaved - the mocap acting / presentation.
Fallout 3
flOw
Flower
Geometry Wars RE2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Grim Fandango
Heavy Rain
Katamari Damacy
Left 4 Dead 2
Limbo
LittleBigPlanet 2
LocoRoco
Mirror's Edge
Okami
Patapon
Portal /2
Prey - the wallwalking / size changing / portal business
Rez HD
Rock Band 3
Shadow of the Colossus (and Ico?)
Steel Battalion
Super Mario Galaxy (2?)
Super Meat Boy
Super Monkey Ball (Deluxe?)
Team Fortress 2
Wii Sports Resort

Angry Birds
Peggle
Plants vs Zombies
which Tetris?
World of Goo

Bad examples:
I think most RTS games are fairly involved and dont look too different from each other. Maybe someone can point out an exception? I haven't played much of SC2...
Lots of formulaic JRPGs. Again, all very similar, just changing setting or characters or nuances of battles systems.

one of the 3D Zelda's?
Oblivion or Skyrim?
which Uncharted? (the gunplay of the bits I've played is a turn-off to nongamers I think with how repetitive and frequent it is)
which Metal Gear Solid?
what 3D fighter(s?)?
which Pokemon?
Burnout Paradise or NFS: HP (haven't played the latter)
which God of War style game?
which modern war shooter?
which single player story shooter? (Bioshock?)
Demon's Souls or Dark Souls?
which Fable?
which Final Fantasy(s?)
which side scrolling beat em ups?
which scrolling shooters? Ikaruga?
what arcade racer? (WipEout HD?)
Metroid Prime?
Pikmin 2?
Killer 7 or No More Heroes (which?)
which modern Resident Evil?
which Castlevania? SotN?
which Mario Kart?
sidescrolling Mario? (Yoshi's Island?)
which WarioWare?
what BioWare?
what MMO?
Batman AA or AC?
which Assassin's Creed or PoP?
Child of Eden?
Supreme Commander? (the infiniview gimmick)

Deusfaux on

• striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    interesting list your creating. I personally feel one of the stalkers should be in there as a open-world atmospheric shooter. I also feel amnesia should be in there as a horror adventure FP w/out shooting.

edit: Hopefully I'm not that blind and you did just edit that in:)

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    X-Com: UFO Defense.

Nothing else like it.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Tetris.

• DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    chiasaur11 wrote:

Nothing else like it.

tempting, but it seems reaaaallly inaccessible.

Tetris is already on there, thought I'm not sure which would be the most representative version. I like The New Tetris' music...

Deusfaux on
    edited February 2012
    Dragon Age 2 is the best BioWare game.

Final Fantasy 13 is the fanciest Final Fantasy, so you'd want to show that to a non-gamer.

In fact, the "it's the fanciest" rule goes for all game series. Always pick the fanciest when showing things to a non-gamer. They're not going to care about pixelated, un-aliased, 280p resolution crap from days of Moses.

reVerse on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Since Okami and Mirror's Edge are already up there, I'd add that in my experience, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines has appealed to non-gamers thanks to its incredible atmosphere. Just play it on easy.

s7Imn5J.png
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Half-Life 2, at the very least for it's art direction and world building. Half-Life as well, thought today that would be more difficult to present to a non-gamer.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    So you want to demonstrate a cross-section of gaming's best, but they need to be things that kind of stand out to a non-gamer?

You'll want Wind Waker or Skyward Sword in there, and Mario Galaxy.

For BioWare it's a tough call as the mechanics in Dragon Age 1, Neverwinter, or even KotoR can be clunky for someone who doesn't have some gaming experience already. Mass Effect 1 or 2 (on easy) or Dragon Age 2 are a lot more streamlined and can really show off the narrative power that games have nowadays. For minimalist but emotionally involving you already have Bastion and Shadow of the Colossus on there.

I would definitely put Killer7 ahead of No More Heroes since it's so simple and direct.

For funny I think you might want to look at Overlord. Even replace Pikmin with it actually, or use both to show the completely different tone you can accomplish with similar core gameplay.

edited February 2012
    Dusda wrote:
    Half-Life 2, at the very least for it's art direction and world building. Half-Life as well, thought today that would be more difficult to present to a non-gamer.

apart from a different story and such, is there anything Half-Life is doing that HL2 isn't doing better?

edit: Taramoor totally understands what I mean about accessible when he talks down some of BioWares stuff.

I was thinking Mass Effect was best too, with the streamlined gameplay, and the look of it and the conversation engine and stuff.

Note: the hypothetical audience person doesn't have to necessarily play these games. So worries about complexity of controls or stuff like that isn't a concern. They can just watch.

Deusfaux on
    Deusfaux wrote:
    Dusda wrote:

apart from a different story and such, is there anything Half-Life is doing that HL2 isn't doing better?

Game.

• TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Prototype/Infamous/Batman (Asylum or City) might be a nice addition, same with MadWorld.
    All up to you, though.

I can't say which Batman is better as I haven't played City yet. Asylum wasn't bad, though.

TolerantZero on
    Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
    edited February 2012
    Infamous is fantastic.

edit: Speaking of best open world games, Saints Row the Third. Also: best story, best music, best character creator.

reVerse on
    edited February 2012
    Prototype/Infamous might be a nice addition. All up to you, though.

of games like that, (3rd person action oriented / often superpowers thing), you think Infamous is best?

I can appreciate the flexibility of mobility in that game, with jumping and sticking to everything and riding the powerlines

Deusfaux on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    If you can get hold of 999 or Hotel Dusk or even Trace Memory, those are tremendous introductory pieces.

Well, I think so anyway.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    I came to make the case for Bastion, but see you already have that covered.

How about Eternal Darkness? There's combat, but it all boils down to a rock-paper-scissors type system. It also messes with the player, which is a nice 4th-wall-breaking mechanic.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    OK!
    First off: do not show Oblivion to anybody you want to encourage to do anything other than commit suicide. (ie. put Skyrim on the list instead).

I'd suggest one of the Thief games (Dark Project/Gold or The Metal Age). Incredible atmosphere and innovative stealth gameplay.

I'd also suggest a game which heavily emphasises gameplay. How about something simple like Alien Assault? A tactical combat game based on Space Hulk where absolutely every single move matters (the game is free).

Ultima 7- to this day one of the best open-world games (with an amazing art direction).

I dunno... one of my favourite games ever is rather obscure- Etherlords II - basically a fantasy card game (though only in principle, not in presentation).

Some adventure game? Monkey Island? Grim Fandango?

Mayday on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I think Dawn of War II would show of what a modern RTS can look like, mostly because the animations are great. It creates very involved combat situations. The fact that on the single player side it revolves around hero units also makes it look different.

Shogun 2 is definitely an option too, as a show of complex, 1000s of units animated onscreen tactical simulations combined with a strategic overworld.

I haven't played the game and heard stories about serious flaws, but LA Noire gets serious credits for it's facial animations and it's voice-acting.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    edited February 2012
    Deusfaux wrote:
    Prototype/Infamous might be a nice addition. All up to you, though.

of games like that, (3rd person action oriented / often superpowers thing), you think Infamous is best?

I can appreciate the flexibility of mobility in that game, with jumping and sticking to everything and riding the powerlines

Personally, I enjoyed Infamous's combat and story, but I liked Prototype's gameplay a lot more. If you want to show him crazy stuff (backflipping off/running up buildings, gliding through the city, slicing tanks in half, hijacking helicopters in mid air) I would go with Prototype no doubt. The story wasn't that good, though, so if you want a better story I would go with Infamous instead if you want that aspect to be stronger.

If you want to show Assassin's Creed along with one of the two I listed above, I would go with 2. The first one wasn't bad, but the second one added/improved many aspects of it that made it much more fun.

TolerantZero on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    expendable wrote:
    How about Eternal Darkness? There's combat, but it all boils down to a rock-paper-scissors type system. It also messes with the player, which is a nice 4th-wall-breaking mechanic.

I completely forgot about Eternal Darkness. Absolutely that game.

I'll also suggest Zack & Wiki and Endless Ocean.

s7Imn5J.png
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Deusfaux wrote:
    chiasaur11 wrote:

Nothing else like it.

tempting, but it seems reaaaallly inaccessible.

Tetris is already on there, thought I'm not sure which would be the most representative version. I like The New Tetris' music...

Old Game Boy Tetris. No infinite spins. Or maybe I'm just getting old.

The new X-Com looks more approachable, but it's not out yet. Slim chance it'll suck.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    You've got a lot of the good ones already, and a lot of other suggestions would be a little idiosyncratic: they'd work for some people and not others. Orcs Must Die! for instance is sort of a good choice: it has fun, bright, Disney movie aesthetics and animation, a nice, engaging veneer of humor, and puzzle-ish stuff mixed with "baby's first action game" gameplay (until the later levels where it gets hard but that's not much of an issue if we're just introducing people to gaming). But on the other hand if the person doesn't like the puzzle-ish stuff or finds the action stuff too stressful, it won't be a great introduction.

Two games you'd absolutely want to show a non-gamer are Duke Nukem Forever and Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball.

You know, to give them a fair and balanced look at things.

• Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    Saints Row 2 and Red Dead Redemption for open worldness

Fallout New Vegas and Planescape Torment (not modern but I have to list it every time) for RPG goodness

Call of Duty 4 and Team Fortress 2 for multiplayer (both have passed their peak and COD4 is filled with hackers but I'm listing them anyway)

I'd go with Metal Gears Solid 3 being the best MGS game (everyone's going to have a different opinion)

Forza 4 for being an amazing racing simulator with a ridiculous amount of cars

and pretty much anything made by Valve or BioWare in the last 15 years

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Guys

guyyyysssss

motherfucking YUME NIKKI

• Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    what arcade racer? (WipEout HD?) I'd vote Burnout Revenge as its available for 360 and its fun!

Burnout Paradise or NFS: HP (haven't played the latter) NFS: HP is cops and robbers, but drifting is a big factor, Paradise has more content and is a great example of a publisher supporting a product.

I'll throw in another vote for Dragon Age 2, the combat is faster and the banter alone is worth it (always take Aveline and Isabela) :)

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
    edited February 2012
    I'd recommend Red Dead Redemption as well, if you need another open-world game. Gunplay was good, and the story was really great.

There's Splinter-Cell if you want a stealth-based game. The only one I've played, though, is Conviction. I liked it a lot, the co-op is good, but you might get a little lost storywise since it (from what I can gather) goes off the earlier games.

TolerantZero on
    You know, if I had a list that big, I'd toss in Digital: A Love Story.

Different, good, short, low access barrier.

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Diablo seems like a good choice for this, atleast for me! That was my first pc game :)

edited February 2012
    comments - yeah I need a tower defense game or 2 in there

-yes I need a point and click adventure or 2. I did throw in Grim Fandango.

-Eternal Darkness is still doing unique stuff by today's standards hey? Also what about a Silent Hill?

-sim game? I'm tempted to put in Theme Hospital, it's amusing and accessible. Something better?

-arcade racer should have been more specific. There would definitely be at least one car racer on there, in addition to a kart racer, a futuristic racer, etc.

-sport and racing sims are I suppose, their own particular subset of interest. I wouldn't count them out for any typical non-gamer, but they're not my cup of tea

-Dawn of War / Shogun / etc. See, strategy games, regardless of genre (thinking of Advance Wars, Final Fantasy Tactics, RTS, etc), feel to me like the opposite of accessible. I'll grant there are accessible titles within those genres, but then they're not always the best or most representative of what that genre has to offer. (Age of Empires Online, I'm looking at you). One of the Total War games would be a brief demonstration I think, at best. Dawn of War, or at least SOME WH 40K title, is tempting. I want a Heroes game in there, but hmmm well I dunno. They're pretty game-y.

Deusfaux on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Super Mario Bros. 3. I don't care what anyone says, it's timeless. Plus, you both can alternately play as Mario and Luigi. Suck on that, SMW and YI!

The Wind Waker is timeless as well, but Skyward Sword is so much fun once it clicks. The latter is more enjoyable to sit through the whole game in my opinion too.

As for Pokemon, R/B/Y/FireRed/LeafGreen is still the most accessible in my opinion. Later installments are prettier and more streamlined, but if you're new to Pokemon, there isn't a better introduction than the original 150.

For arcade racers, you just can't leave out Outrun (or Outrun 2 for a modern take). Not only is the music insanely catchy, you can drive and drift an F40, which is the best car in the world.

While I love Ikaruga and its intelligent take on shmups, the more insane bullet hell option would be DoDonPachi Resurrection, which is available for the 360 and iPhone/iPad.

For the wildcard, I nominate Ouendan or Elite Beat Agents if you want more accessibility. It's one of the best uses of the DS' touch screen in my opinion.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Freelancer or something similar?

You don't really have a shoot/trader space RPG.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I think Medieval 2: Total War might be a better bet than Shogun, if not only to show what a mod community can do to a game (see: Stainless Steel, Third Age).

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    edited February 2012
    I don't think "mod community" content would really come into a tasting of many, if any, games. Unless the game was ABOUT community content creation. Like LittleBigPlanet. User content is generally a more advanced, more involved thing.

Deusfaux on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    reVerse wrote:
    Deusfaux wrote:
    Dusda wrote:
    Game.
    As a history lesson, I would show Half-Life to a non-gamer. It's tricky, though, and of course it wouldn't be something I'd start with.

Like...ah, how to explain this...

Whenever I try to introduce something to someone I tend to do so over a long period of time before I'm 'done'. The only way I've found to do this without their eyes glazing over is to start with something new and shiny, and then slowly nudge them toward the predecessors some time later.

Kinda like trying to introduce someone to science fiction. I wouldn't start with Asimov and Heinlein. I'd hand them Star Trek (the new one), Wall-E, and Inception or something. Then follow that up with Firefly (placing the pilot at the end because it's long) and Avatar. Then maybe Iron Man, The Matrix, and Aliens...and so on and so forth until they're convulsing with joy about Prometheus and have a seething hatred for Paul W.S. Anderson.

Only then would I hand them a paperback copy of Starship Troopers.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    You need one of the Megaman games.

Either Megaman 2 or Megaman X.

steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    You need to include a Civilization game. I'd go with V, since it's by far the most accessible version of the franchise for new players, especially non-gamers.

Edit: Well, maybe Civilization Revolution, but I haven't played that one, so I'm sticking with Civ V.

If they have a higher tolerance for older graphics, just give them Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

That will buy you a few months to work out the rest of the list.

Lawndart on
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Resident Evil 4 on the Wii is one of my personal favourites and I feel it makes great use of the controller.

Spacechem is a challenging but satisfying puzzle game. Probably the only game that makes me feel stupid, really smart and then stupid again in the space of a few minutes. I particularly like that there is no single correct solution to each level/puzzle, you're given the tools to complete the level and you can do it in any way you see fit. It may not be the most exciting game to watch though, particularly if you don't understand the mechanics of the game.

I haven't played it myself but people have been raving about Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. It's an open-world RPG with a distinct art style, and actually has a fairly involved robust combat system, compared to Skyrim for instance.

Edit: I've played all the Civilization games and would not rate Civilization Revolution very highly to be honest. It's probably a much different game when playing against real people (although most people tend to play Civ games solo), but it basically boiled down to every other civ declaring war on you for the entirety of the game.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Cucco LeaderCucco Leader Registered User regular
    If it's all about the unique experience and accessibility I'd pick:
    VVVVVV
    Spelunky
    Dino Run
    Gradius Gaiden
    Izuna
    Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
    Kirby's Air Ride
    Mr. Driller
    4 Heroes of Light

I'd also pick Meteos or Planet Puzzle League over Tetris. Tetris is pretty shallow with regards to gameplay. Yeah, it started the genre but so much more has been done with falling blocks.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I guess I'm contractually obligated to disagree and say that you should have them play Dragon age Origins rather than 2. As it's much more representative of the subgenre, not to mention just flat out a better designed game. I'd hate for anyone's first impression of party based RPGs to be DA2

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2012
    They're not necessarily playing anything, let alone through it. And I think I'm agreeing with someone else's assertion that DA1 is not very accessible to a non-gamer, period.

I think the Civ games are not very accessible either. As in, I think you have to get into the meat of it to really appreciate it. What's on the surface that would impress a non-gamer or draw them in? It's mostly in the ideas, right?

Why should an old Mega Man game be held up? What are they doing that isn't done better or fresher elsewhere? I feel like they're too hard, very old looking, etc etc.

re: Half Life Dusda. Yes, as a history lesson. Lots of games are history lesson entries on lists. This list doesn't care for them. Because a non-gamer doesn't care for them, see?

Deusfaux on