As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HDMI Switches and Game Consoles

Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
So, I've recently moved back into my parents' place. I do not have my own TV here, mostly because I'd have nowhere to put it. Unfortunately, the TVs that they own have no free HDMI ports to which I could connect my 360. I'd really, really prefer to use HDMI rather than Component, because the TV I'd be hooking the 360 to is DLP and there's monstrous input lag going through component. I'm therefore considering getting an HDMI input switch. Would using one cause similar controller lag?

Salvation122 on

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I've never seen an HDMI switch the caused any appreciable input lag, and I've installed a dozen or so, and used two personally.

I'll amend this by clarifying that a super shitty switch COULD cause some lag, but I've never bought a super cheap one (aside from Monoprice, which is great at any price).

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    JuanthekoreandonJuanthekoreandon Registered User regular
    I've never seen an HDMI switch the caused any appreciable input lag, and I've installed a dozen or so, and used two personally.

I'll amend this by clarifying that a super shitty switch COULD cause some lag, but I've never bought a super cheap one (aside from Monoprice, which is great at any price).

It will cause lag, but 1ms-5ms not something that you will really notice. Your cables will have a lot more play than your hub.

Is your DLP 3D? if so switch it to game mode that will help quite a bit.

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    I've got the monoprice matrix switch which would probably have a higher level of lag then this , since it's more complicated. We haven't notice any real lag with it.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I've got some shitty three dollar two port one from radio shack that has no lag for me. Not saying it can't happen, just that I haven't seen it.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I've got one of these, works like a charm

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011001&p_id=2786&seq=1&format=2

Nice thing is it allows you to manually switch between the inputs....not sure how that mini one handles switching if both inputs are active at the same time.

Edit: looking at that mini one again, it does have a manual select button, so it probably would work. Not sure if it would increase input lag over the one I posted above however.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire