As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Broken Age: Double Fine's 3.3 Million Dollar Kickstarter Game

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    What's the best deal here, guys? Fifteen for the game? Or 30 for the game and a soundtrack?

What if the music isn't any good?
    They'll probably have the soundtrack for sale separately, even if it's down the line.

30 also gets you HD downloads of the Documentary.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Looking into this Kickstarter thing, it seems to be quite groovy. It also requires a hell of a lot of trust on the part of the investor as there seems to be pretty much nothing at all stopping the project creator from taking the money (assuming the target was met) and then doing fuck all.

But I guess that's why it's an investment and not a purchase. That inherent risk will always be there.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    When I went to bed last night, it was at 185k. I expected it to be around 300k when I woke up, but no, it was at 440k. And just now it passed 475k!

It's the third thing I've contributed to on Kickstarter, the first being 2PP's documentary on Minecraft (which I hope is done soon) and the second being Indie Game: The Movie (looking forward to seeing that one!).

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    The speed in which this thing attained its goal is just unreal.

• Options
    TheGingerTheGinger Registered User regular
    Hell, pretty sure it would be a decent game, i've pre-ordered alot worse might aswell actually help this one out.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    SHUT UP AND GET MY MONE-... Oh you just did.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    500'000 broken

I wonder how big it will be after the 33 days are over.

C2B on
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    This is looking like it will easily be a multi-million dollar project at this rate.
    More power to them.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    This is the single most intresting thing that has happened to the industry that I can think of.

If they really do break $1mil (which, they are above $500k now...), it really starts to raise a lot of questions.

I mean, I know NOTHING about production and publishing and ANY of that - but if this really legitimizes kickstarter as a viable thing for bigger studios (Double Fine I consider kind of big, in the sense that I've heard of it and other than Zeboyd I couldn't name any studio that isn't associated with a bigger company), the whole "We'd love to make that but they won't let us" thing could be out the window.

I imagine, for example, Sega or someone may be more likely to publish Alpha Protocol 2 if Obsidian went to them and said "We already have $1 million in backing for this project to bring to the table."

I mean, I know in the grand scheme thats a fraction of the budget, but still. Being able to use Kickstarter as a negotiation tool for some of these smaller projects would be game changing.

If an unannounced point and click adventure can generate this in 2 days - imagine if the devs went this route for Mirrors Edge 2? Beyond Good and Evil 2?

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    @mxmarks, that is exactly what interests me most about this whole venture.
    part of me is literally giddy with the thought that this might change the publishing game even slightly, It put's the power to green-light new games back into our hands rather than some focus groups.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    Larger games would be significantly harder to do, given how astronomical their budgets can be. Though as this is showing right now, having the right people associated with a project can really increase turn out. The bonuses they have for you paying more has probably helped significantly as well. We'll just have to see how big this gets. Honestly, though, I would really like it if this sort of thing could be used to jump start games that supposedly a lot of people want, but investors aren't so hot on (Darkstalkers 2, anyone?).

I also think this could be used for more than games, like maybe DVD sets and the like. Make it so that at certain goals, more and more is added to the set. Let goal #1 be just the episodes, goal #2 be additional commentary, goal #3 an actual item or poster, etc.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I don't even like point and click games, and I still gave them money.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    SpeedySwaf wrote:
    I also think this could be used for more than games, like maybe DVD sets and the like. Make it so that at certain goals, more and more is added to the set. Let goal #1 be just the episodes, goal #2 be additional commentary, goal #3 an actual item or poster, etc.
    The only problem with going down that path is it would encourage omissions rather than inclusion, Companies would be more likely to hold content to ransom until a milestone was met rather than using those milestones to fund creation of new content.

I fully agree with your concept in theory, but don't trust the companies to do it correctly.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

Wow.

So, where's Nathan Fillion's kickstart page promising more episodes of Firefly? I bet that would gain money twice as fast.

edit:

Heh, or take it to the next level... Combine the two projects. A Firefly adventure game designed by Double Fine. Voice work by Nathan. Written by Joss Whedon... I'd be a bum in a cardboard box, but I'd be a happy bum.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'd wager the reason why they decided to go through Kickstarter is because they've got the infrastructure already in place to handle the funding transactions as well as the potential for reimbursement should funding not have come through. Certainly based on everyone's reaction (mine included) there was no way this kind of response was anticipated, so you definitely wanted to insure against the possibility that the game wouldn't have been funded.

I think it's fantastic, though. I love watching companies trying new business strategies. I think this'll pave the way for some other development houses/big names to do some self-funding and publishing, which will make the market really interesting.

Double Fine is basically the perfect test company for this, though, as I have a hard time thinking of another development house with as much proven success, public goodwill, and independence to manage this response.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Viking wrote:
    @mxmarks, that is exactly what interests me most about this whole venture.
    part of me is literally giddy with the thought that this might change the publishing game even slightly, It put's the power to green-light new games back into our hands rather than some focus groups.

we're on the same page.
    Although there are disadvantages to this system, I hope that this will in some way crush people like kotick who aren't interested in making good games as much as they are in their financial bottom line.
    USE -> wax lips -> moose head!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    Nerdtendo wrote:

Wow.

So, where's Nathan Fillion's kickstart page promising more episodes of Firefly? I bet that would gain money twice as fast.

edit:

Heh, or take it to the next level... Combine the two projects. A Firefly adventure game designed by Double Fine. Voice work by Nathan. Written by Joss Whedon... I'd be a bum in a cardboard box, but I'd be a happy bum.

You know, I'd honestly be curious to see how much money a Firefly kickstarter might raise.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I'd contribute up to $200 to a Joss Whedon kickstarter thing where the ultimate goal was to have Joss officially state that Serenity was all just a dream that Wash was having.

Because, :cry:

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    I'd contribute up to $200 to a Joss Whedon kickstarter thing where the ultimate goal was to have Joss officially state that Serenity was all just a dream that Wash was having.

Because, :cry:

I'd see your pledge, and double it. Serenity didn't happen.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    This has been a great year, first a genuine XCOM remake and now to see this succeed is just amazing. They are totally going well over their budget they wanted. What I want to know is who donated 10k?! That's a lot of monies, but apparently the lunch reward is sold out!

I wonder with the excess funding they have if they would consider an iOS version (if possible).

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote:
    I wonder with the excess funding they have if they would consider an iOS version (if possible).

Q: Will there be a Mac, or iOS version?

A: We would love to do both of those things! They are at the top of the list for things to do if we raise more funds than we are asking for.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Viking wrote:
    SpeedySwaf wrote:
    The only problem with going down that path is it would encourage omissions rather than inclusion, Companies would be more likely to hold content to ransom until a milestone was met rather than using those milestones to fund creation of new content.

I fully agree with your concept in theory, but don't trust the companies to do it correctly.
    I'm moderately sure that this is part of why Kickstarter is an all or nothing sort of deal. That said, I pretty recently gave to a company that was doing exactly this for everything received in excess of their goal. In that case though, it was more along the lines of: "Give us enough money to do the first expansion too, and everyone above a certain level gets a copy of the first expansion." I think the sort of stuff that shows up on collector's edition dvds needs to stay in about the slots that it is now (that is, in the "you gave us a hundredish dollars" range) for me to think that the project is one I want to give money to.

edit: 590,000 on a goal of 400,000 with more than a month left to go. Not too shabby. I could easily see this making enough money to get some fairly serious attention.

Syrdon on
  • Options
    Okay, are there people under the impression that this is some small-time outfit who made a Kickstarter to get some money to make their game? Because this isn't anything like that at all.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Not that I know of. Double Fine is a well respected and reliable developer with so many good ideas they must steal them via that dream machine from Inception.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote:
    Okay, are there people under the impression that this is some small-time outfit who made a Kickstarter to get some money to make their game? Because this isn't anything like that at all.

I think its more that people are curious about the systems in place to see that creators provide what was promised in a general sense, the double fine kickstarter is just being used as an example because it has a lot of money behind it and is going on right now.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Just passed 600k a few minutes ago. So that's in about 13 hours, give or take.

I love the future, guys.

• Options
    ultimakay wrote:
    darleysam wrote:
    I think its more that people are curious about the systems in place to see that creators provide what was promised in a general sense, the double fine kickstarter is just being used as an example because it has a lot of money behind it and is going on right now.
    Pretty much this. Doublefine is a big enough name to get this ball rolling, but I'm much more interested in where the ball is going to go. The basic problem I have with Kickstarter is that I don't help fund projects where I don't recognize someone working on it. Given that games can be fairly expensive, it seems like this could be a challenge. Those projects are the ones that make this thing with Doublefine interesting to me, rather than Doublefine's project (because, honestly, I had no doubts that this would get funded. Although the rate at which money is accumulating is impressive).

• Options
    Entriech wrote:
    Just passed 600k a few minutes ago. So that's in about 13 hours, give or take.

I love the future, guys.

Both figuratively AND literally.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    How long 'till Kickstarter gets shut down by the publishers?

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

On what grounds? I don't see any petty copyright issues they could go with.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I don't think the studios have a path to do it, other than getting some sort of legislation passed that interferes with it. I think far more likely is the studios farming their high risk products out to Kickstarter (although that could be my optimism speaking). Assuming that actually happens, it could be a fairly effective way for studios to start new franchises or experiment with new ideas.

edit: as far as ways, I think requiring organizations to rigorously the identities of investors into a project is the most straightforward way to go. Say, put in a requirement of checking a photo ID. The overhead alone is enough to cause real problems for crowd sourcing. I'd hope Congress wouldn't be dumb enough to pass it, but that and $5 will buy me lunch.

Syrdon on
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    About the Project
    Over a six-to-eight month period, a small team under Tim Schafer's supervision will develop Double Fine's next game, a classic point-and-click adventure. Where it goes from there will unfold in real time for all the backers to see.

Is this game not Psychonauts 2?

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options

On what grounds? I don't see any petty copyright issues they could go with.

I'm sure they'll find something.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Robes wrote:
    Is this game not Psychonauts 2?

No, it isn't.

• Options
    DoubleFine doesn't really like sequels.

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    They need that extra money to buy the official Double Fine yacht that turns into a jet, and at this rate they're nowhere near that goal. How can they build this game without a yacht that turns into a jet?

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

Regardless, they have been in contact with Notch ever since he said he'd fund Psychonauts 2 the other day. We might see something come out of that sometime down the road.

But this most definitely wasn't the result of that. This had obviously been in the works for a while.

• Options
    SteevL wrote:

Regardless, they have been in contact with Notch ever since he said he'd fund Psychonauts 2 the other day. We might see something come out of that sometime down the road.

But this most definitely wasn't the result of that. This had obviously been in the works for a while.

And they probably felt it a good idea to announce it now, while all the internet was talking about them and Notch.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    So what happens if the game's no good? Does that stop something like this from ever happening again?

No I don't.
  • Options
    So what happens if the game's no good? Does that stop something like this from ever happening again?
    I think it depends on why its no good. If it seems like the developers took the money and ran, then yes. If it seems like they gave it a really serious shot, but it just wasn't much fun then no. Not, honestly, that I'm really worried with these folks.