As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halkun got boned by the U.S. Healthcare system. [Let's talk about debt!]

halkunhalkun Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Social Entropy++
Well, what an adventure.... For those who don't remember, I was practically tweeting my operation. The final bill is in. For those who want to know. I hid it under the spoiler.
$19,842.78

Now, here comes the fun part. Looking at my insurance claims, I have found, they are willing to cover...
$13.18

So, let's talk about shitty insurance :)

halkun on

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Thanks OBAMA.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Was it a pain in your lower back?

• Options
    Wow, political already?

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    What state is that?... and what kind of insurance?

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I was all

hentai surgery?!

then I reread it

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    man hernia operations are that expensive?

damn that sucks

• Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    Dude that is completely fucked

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Wow, that sucks guy.

Hope things look up and you get that stuff sorted out!

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    best health care system in the world!

• Options
    Barcardi wrote:
    What state is that?... and what kind of insurance?

Wisconsin - United Healthcare PPA network - Unitedhealth basics plan
    Keep in mind all the claims are still processing, but it's not looking good. They didn't even cover my doctor's office visits.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Man we have United Healthcare

But our insurance isn't nearly that shitty

We have a $4k deductible which kinda sucks tho

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Javen wrote:

USA! USA! USA!

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Javen wrote:

USA! USA! USA!

american-eagle-and-flag-ii.jpg

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    flee the country

broken image link
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    man hernia operations are that expensive?

damn that sucks

My circumcision was about six grand so it's not all that surprising really.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    You know what the irony of it all is?
    If I drop my insurance, I'll gain about $175 a month that I can use to actually pay off the bill.

I'm not too worried about it. What can they honestly do? Put it back? When the dust settles and all is said and done. I'll probably chat about payments.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    you can literally only send them five bucks a month

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    That's, like, .0007% of the total cost that your insurance covers

rounded up

• Options
    I'm actually way for interested to know what that 13.18 was that they actually agreed to cover

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    flee the country

Free the country? We're already free you damn communist!

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    you also might wanna call your insurance company and see what the fuck is up

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Javen wrote:
    I'm actually way for interested to know what that 13.18 was that they actually agreed to cover
    I don't know, I'm just reading the claims now. I have to wait for the actual bills to come in the mail.

• Options
    I had to pay out around $800 bucks from when I was hospitalized for a weekend a few years ago. I think most of that was the ambulance.

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Oh, man. I'm sorry. :c

How is your recovery going?

• Options
    edited February 2012
    you also might wanna call your insurance company and see what the fuck is up
    I can probably tell you what the hell is up. I kinda went in knowing that this may happen..

Once upon a time when I didn't have any insurance, I paid $300 to have a doctor poke at my tummy and say that I had a hernia and that it would cost about $7,000 to $10,000 to fix.

I get a job, and insurance.

After two years, quit and went to another company.

At the other company, I thought the insurance rollover was automatic because I kept asking and they said they would send me the packet.

Packet comes with "Welcome to heath blah blah blah and I'm all like "ok insurance is out of the way."

Oops, I was wrong. I had 60 days to enroll missed the window

went 8 months without insurance.

Picked it up this January. Same provider.

Because I was originally quoted the $7,000-$10,000 I took the basic plan that covered up to $5000 a year and full hospital stays, I would try out that plan, and then see if I needed more coverage to the "big one" later

On Jan 1st my hernia "popped"
    On Jan second I got my new insurance card.
    On Jan 30th I had my operation.

And that's the story.

halkun on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Oh, man. I'm sorry. :c

How is your recovery going?
    They shaved my tummy and my belly is itchy when I wear a shirt. Other than that, I'm way better than before.

halkun on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    well im glad youre ok and apparently unfazed by the giant, unrelenting buggering you are being given

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    Oh man. What can you even do. This is what freaks me out about almost being 30. I've turned vegan last year dropped the meats and high fat diets. I freak out all the time thinking about doctors and healthcare. No insurance.. :(

xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• Options
    why not just trade in your bootstraps for some insurance?

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    That's fucking awful dude, tell your insurance company to quit being assholes and get their shit together.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    It sounds like he didn't have COBRA or anything between jobs so it was a preexisting condition so they have gotten their shit together and then crammed it up his butt.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Way back in the early 2000s I had a multi-thousand dollar bill at a Seattle area hospital for a sinus infection. As in they made me take an MRI, for a sinus infection. Later on, after some fighting, everything got settled for a smaller payment.

Almost ten years later(a couple of months ago) some collection agency starts sending me letters about the original bill with that hospital.

Weaver on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote:
    It sounds like he didn't have COBRA or anything between jobs so it was a preexisting condition so they have gotten their shit together and then crammed it up his butt.

Either way, there is a lot of shit being heaped in the wrong place.

Also, I think we should find a different way to refer to this, because the word "shit" is getting slung around a lot.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Smart Hero wrote:

Either way, there is a lot of shit being heaped in the wrong place.

Also, I think we should find a different way to refer to this, because the word "shit" is getting slung around a lot.

Welcome to the American Healthcare System.

• Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    Yeah.... this is why I'm putting off surgery as long as possible. Eff that noise. I was born with this organ, and I'll die with it if I have to.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    well im glad youre ok and apparently unfazed by the giant, unrelenting buggering you are being given

Oh this is nothing~

I have $15,760 in student loans, and $7,500 on my car...
    Seriously, just put it on my tab.

I'm going to tell you a little secret about debt. You would be shocked and surprised to learn that if you just fucking call you debtors and tell them what is up, they will bend over backwards to accommodate.

Seriously, I bought car on accident for $20,000 once. I am dead serious, I had no fucking clue that the dealership was going to screw me over that hard. (Hint hint, I was young and VERY stupid)
    I had the thing for two weeks and realized I wasn't going to make the payments.
    I called the bank and told them... I simply didn't have the money. I told them everything. I wanted to know how the repossession process worked and if I could just drop off the car.
    I was immediately put into "doubtful accounts" and we started making deals. In the end the deal was this...

"You pay us $317 a month, and we won't take the car."

Now that really doesn't sound like I got a good deal, but I did. Actually I was paying $305 a month plus another $200 in insurance. I was no longer was required to pay insurance on it, and if I messed a payment, they would take it the next month. Period. With that little breathing room, I payed off that car 5 years later.

My student loan was originally $30,000 and some change. Seriously. I'm not going anywhere and neither is the bank.

halkun on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, to just jump to concluding that his carrier is being a total asshole about this by not covering it is pretty naive. Is the healthcare system in the U.S. fucked up? Sure. But that's not his carrier's fault. It sucks that you're going to get stuck with this, but with the way insurance works in the U.S. it's also not surprising in the slightest considering the circumstances.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Halkun, that's non-"I don't want to die, doc" debt.

It's a bit different.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    turn your head and cough

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I miss the delete function.

Weaver on