As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] PA Deathwatch detachment collaboration project

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    saluksic wrote:
    ToT, sometimes I try to imagine where you are deployed that would have a visitor center. Like, the Kabul zoo?

This is pretty much it.

I'm deployed to an area in the AOR where there is a threat (and has been attacked) but is a permanent base with a more stable mission. I can't really get too much into it, but it's a base that's been around since the first gulf war and is more of a political base than anything.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    Roll call for some folks. I need to know if you NEED a model or HAVE a model.

@Keenbeen, @Frothulu, @Altmann, @SJ, @Asher

As for modelling ideas, here's what I'm going to start with;

GreyKnightsSprue01.jpg
    GreyKnightsSprue02.jpg
    DeathCompanySprue1.jpg
    DeathCompanySprue2.jpg
    AssaultMarine1.JPG
    AssaultMarine2.JPG

That gives me 15/20 bodies, with 5 people already ponying up their own models. Now, obviously some of these are going to be swapped out for more customized bits, but this will give me 10 jump packs, 5/15 storm bolters, and a lot of special weapons to trade for other bitz. I won't be using a lot of the shoulderpads and such from the DC box, but their models are very dynamic and I've got no problem filing/GSing in details to get them up to snuff.

I'll still need to pick up ~4 heavy bolters, which I don't estimate will be too hard. I'm sure the gamers in my area alone will have plenty left over I can trade for. If not, they're an easy bit considering HB Devastators aren't exactly a hot commodity.

@Valhalla

Your Imperial fist is going to be either standing firm or walking forward mowing down Xenos scum with his HB. I should have access to one of the swords from this pic to put on his hip. I'll go with a cleaned up DC chest plate since he'll be rocking the HB standard style and possibly a set of the moving DC legs, or the wide base GK legs. For the head this seems fitting. Comments?

@Dayspring

As the Iron Hand, mechanical modifications are a must. I'm torn between modifying this to have a heavy bolter, make a character closer to this, or making a servo-harness backpack with the heavy bolter held by servo-arms while the marine wields his halberd like this. Ideas?

@OtakuD00D

Blood Ravens are like Blood Angels, but not really. The blood drop iconography from the DC box makes them a short stretch (With some modifications, of course) to represent your BR. Find a more blood and less angel setup from the box, then give him a halberd with stormbolter attached. He now wields one of his chapters oldest artefacts, a renowned stormbolter halberd that was said to belong to one of the original custodes. Fits with the Blood Raven's fetish for pre-heresy shit. Good or bad idea?

@Eldercat

Obviously go with the Dark Angel veteran sprue bitz, I was envisioning a standard robed DA fighting/killing a Tyranid/Genestealer. Perhaps have the Genestealer in the air with the stormbolter in his hand (As if he ripped/is ripping it away) while the DA is about to/is impaling him with the halberd. Thoughts?

@Sharp101

I believe I still have one of these extra Dark Elf corsair cloaks in my DE bitz I can fit to a marine as a cloak. Use a GK standing body with the sweeping of the cloak to give him a stoic gaze. This arm fits the pose (Left arm pointed out, cloak sweeping to the left) and we could mount his storm bolter on the powerfist Pedro style.

That's it for right now gents. Read and comment everyone!

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Hmm... basically I kinda want to make a super sized crozius for my dude, but if that doesn't pan out, he can be a regular Black Templar. You're making a bitz order? If so I might have some things to add to save on shipping.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Hmm... basically I kinda want to make a super sized crozius for my dude, but if that doesn't pan out, he can be a regular Black Templar. You're making a bitz order? If so I might have some things to add to save on shipping.

I'm going to try to make it as few bitz orders as possible, all at once to save on shipping.

As for the crozius, sounds like a huge ass mace which would probably look pretty badass. You could probably try to find some Aquilla detail pieces and take 2-4 of them, chop them all in half then attach the halves to a thunderhammer shaft to have a big badass looking mace thing.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    If you want a rad crozius mace thing, find Grimaldus's arm bit. That is the most metal, Templar, bad ass, "gonna kill some xenos" weapon in 40k model history.

• Options
    heavyweapon5.jpg

Shoulder mounted HB, anyone?

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Exactly! Now to look for a big aquila, cus I don't think I have one.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    @Eldercat

Obviously go with the Dark Angel veteran sprue bitz, I was envisioning a standard robed DA fighting/killing a Tyranid/Genestealer. Perhaps have the Genestealer in the air with the stormbolter in his hand (As if he ripped/is ripping it away) while the DA is about to/is impaling him with the halberd. Thoughts?

I think you are crazy.

But the pose sounds awesome. There might be some complications to painting it unless there is a way to separate the Genestealer.

PS. How long have you been able to summon people with the at symbol? That is pretty cool.

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    ElderCat wrote:
    @Eldercat

I think you are crazy.

But the pose sounds awesome. There might be some complications to painting it unless there is a way to separate the Genestealer.

PS. How long have you been able to summon people with the at symbol? That is pretty cool.

The models are going to be sent out unbuilt but ready to be put together, as in, all the stuff like gunswords and special bitz will be assembled, but the arms will need to be glued to the body and such. I'm going to clean them up and test fit them, then disassemble them and send them out. This will let people prime/paint them however they like.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    @TraceofToxin, what's the word on what you've got to start with terminators?

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options

I'm more than likely going to do each Terminator seperately. If not, I'll buy a set of 5 normal terminators or 5 GK terminators and go from there.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular

I'm more than likely going to do each Terminator seperately. If not, I'll buy a set of 5 normal terminators or 5 GK terminators and go from there.

OK.
    I really like the GK term heads, with the high, menacing visor. And you should get plenty of halberds and weapons that would be good.

Since I'm thinking of a Tyranic War Vet, I figure layering some genestealer extended carapace. I really liked the idea from this guy:
    310px-Ultramarine_Tyrannic_Vet.jpg

Since he's going to have a chapter badge on one shoulder and deathwatch on the other, I figure it might not work on a shoulder. Unless the carapace was layered on his right shoulder, with his big white omega badge going on top of the carapace. Or would that be too un-marine-like?
    And also maybe holding a genestealer head?

• Options
    Do the layering, then paint the omega over it, but make it a little...rough. Like he hand painted it over the carapace before the battle.

If that makes sense.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Do the layering, then paint the omega over it, but make it a little...rough. Like he hand painted it over the carapace before the battle.

If that makes sense.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I could paint up the carapace first, and then layer up to white, but just do it by hand so it's a little rough.

I'm also debating if having a lot of purity seals would be cool? Like maybe one leg below the knee just covered in seals to show is amazing his purity and resistance to corruption/taint is.

Custom Special on
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Man, I'm so tempted to start trying to freehand some bird skull stuff just in case my dude has one of the beak-y helmets.

Also, I'm super excited for this.

• Options
    @Custom Special Interesting idea. Could also give him a modified halberd with a Tyranid talon as the halberd, or perhaps that'd be a bit too heretical?

A lot of purity seals is just kinda over the top. They're not a purity thing so much as an oath for a battle.

• Options
    @Custom Special Interesting idea. Could also give him a modified halberd with a Tyranid talon as the halberd, or perhaps that'd be a bit too heretical?

A lot of purity seals is just kinda over the top. They're not a purity thing so much as an oath for a battle.

OK.
    Yeah, I was wondering about a talon somewhere, but that might be too weird. That's why I really liked that art with the carapace on the shoulder.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    If I'm doing CF, I just want a beaky helmet to harken back to the super-oldschool days. And maybe some orky bits for fluff.

Oh, I just realised I'm doing a terminator. Ffffff... how do I oldschool that up?

• Options
    @Frothulhu Do you NEED a model or HAVE a model? I'll provide the model and whatever bitz you want no problem.

@Ogotai The middle one without the big BT symbol on it. Overall it's really not that big of a deal, whatever you feel will look best and fit the DW theme. Mock it up and share with the group.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    @TraceofToxin How are the AoBR termies for amateur conversion? I may be able to procure one or two. Really just need the hammer arm(s) and DW/CF bits otherwise

Edit: there's a hotass-hot kit of CF/IF terminator shoulder pads from forgeworl. I could probs swing those if I've got time to order and whatnot.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    FroThulhu wrote:
    @TraceofToxin How are the AoBR termies for amateur conversion? I may be able to procure one or two. Really just need the hammer arm(s) and DW/CF bits otherwise

They're mono-pose and pretty boring. If you're able/willing to modify them they can be a decent starting point, but they're not an easy conversion.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    @Valhalla

Your Imperial fist is going to be either standing firm or walking forward mowing down Xenos scum with his HB. I should have access to one of the swords from this pic to put on his hip. I'll go with a cleaned up DC chest plate since he'll be rocking the HB standard style and possibly a set of the moving DC legs, or the wide base GK legs. For the head this seems fitting. Comments?

Sounds good. I can't wait to see it.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    FroThulhu wrote:

They're mono-pose and pretty boring. If you're able/willing to modify them they can be a decent starting point, but they're not an easy conversion.

Check

So, basically what I need is a terminator and, uhhhhh... I dunno, the hammer and stuff. I'm thinking of scratching up a bitchin fantasy hammer. Planing on tryin to gussy this marine bro up.

• Options
    FroThulhu wrote:
    Check

So, basically what I need is a terminator and, uhhhhh... I dunno, the hammer and stuff. I'm thinking of scratching up a bitchin fantasy hammer. Planing on tryin to gussy this marine bro up.

I'll put you down as NEED then. If you find some bitz you want for the hammer I can get them when I order everything up.

• Options
    Hey ToT...were you cool with me using the model I posted earlier? or did you want me to re-do it?

• Options
    Looked good to me.

After reading through the DW handbook for a bit, I'm doubling back on the storm bolters. It would be strange to see every marine carrying one, that's a GK thing. Not to mention, it's already a counts-as army, if people have a problem with the dudes using normal bolters they probably won't want to play me to begin with.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    @Dayspring

As the Iron Hand, mechanical modifications are a must. I'm torn between modifying this to have a heavy bolter, make a character closer to this, or making a servo-harness backpack with the heavy bolter held by servo-arms while the marine wields his halberd like this. Ideas?

Servo Harness of some sort is a must, although if you'd rather keep things plastic you could do a stripped down pack converted from one of the devastator packs.
    Originally I had it in my head he'd be holding the heavy bolter and then the servo arms would have blades of some sort on to represent his weapon, but I have to admit that last image looks cool. Like this guy.
    valthex1.jpg

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    I think I'm good for models.

I'll let you guys know if i need anything.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    @Dayspring - That list pic I could mount a HB like that pretty easily.

@Atlmann - Got you down as HAVE

@Everyone - Got an opening for a Hammer Justicar Terminator.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    @TraceofToxin sorry I haven't been paying much attention to the thread. My weekend was shot between family birthday dinners and adopting a dog.

I honestly don't care what you put together. Like I said, I'm just here to paint whatever shows up on my doorstep as best I can manage.

EDIT: I also got this last week and have been using them (the darker 2) to highlight black and it's been turning out pretty great. Not sure how they relate to the GW paints, I haven't tested that yet.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    It's all good. Got you marked down.

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    It's ok If I use sprue to make my entire model right? Like... just pieces of sprue with guns glued haphazardly to them.

Cool.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    ToT, I'm gonna put my marine together with my bits, I was just wondering how much iconography you wanted on him

I was planning on using some DC bits to put him together, though not quite as much as the BA marine in the OP, any guidelines as to what you want

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    altmann wrote:
    It's ok If I use sprue to make my entire model right? Like... just pieces of sprue with guns glued haphazardly to them.

Cool.

Wolf sprue of the wolf wolf?
    ToT, I'm gonna put my marine together with my bits, I was just wondering how much iconography you wanted on him

I was planning on using some DC bits to put him together, though not quite as much as the BA marine in the OP, any guidelines as to what you want

DW marines are described as just painting over their armor except the right shoulder pad, then doing the left arm with the DW pad and silver/writing. All other ornamentation is personal preferance. Space Wolves are noted as commonly keeping many pelts and totems and things, Black Templar/DA are known to keep their robes with stuff on them, so on and so forth.

Just keep in mind he can't possibly be a DC marine because any chance of taint to his gene-seed and his originating chapter will not send him to the DW.

So, short answer, throw whatever you feel looks good on and take a pic. Let people comment and critique. I like indvidualism but not "The marine of a thousand purity seals".

1306805973598.jpg

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    You're a DC marine

Also I posit that a marine wrapped in one giant purity seal is the purest

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I'm afraid I'm going to need a model also. I'm not going to be able to put together the bit order I thought I could.
    I will still be able to provide a right Salamander shoulder pad. I also already have a Nemisis Force Hammer in my bitz box if I could use that.

Sorry, I really thought I'd be able to provide more.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    That's fine. It's no problemo. I might be able to get the rough drafts for the Terminators done tonight.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    What's good for prototyping models? A little dab of the regular green stuff to stick them together long enough for a picture?

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote:
    What's good for prototyping models? A little dab of the regular green stuff to stick them together long enough for a picture?

Blue tack. A teeeeny tiny bit of krazy glue bond can be broken easily and scraped off. A tiny button of green stuff. All these work.

• Options
    @Dr. Keenbean

Envisioning this head on a standard longfang body with the shoulder mounted heavy bolter up above. He'll have a thunderhammer in his left hand, just kinda hanging there like Coteaz style. Or, could give him a powerfist. Either way the shoulder mounted HB leaves his left arm free to hold his weapon. The only caveat is that he'll require either a modified SW backpack or one of the smaller packs that come with the kit. I'll see what I can figure out.

@Frothulhu

Crimson Fist Terminator with a 'Hammer'. Seems pretty simple to me, get a powerfist wielding Terminator. This seems like a fantastic model to use, but getting the DW shoulderpad on there could definitely prove problematic. Could instead go with the open handed powerfist and have him holding onto something Xenos, like a piece of a Tyranid or have him blasting an Eldar.

@J

Sadly with the DW color scheme, going to lose one of the major features of the Deathwing. Use a DA veteran sprue set of legs with a standard Terminator torso/storm bolter and GK halberd. Model him standing with the stormbolter outstretched to the left and the halberd held near the head with the blade facing down and backwards at an angle like \ behind him.

@Custom Special

Modify a standard terminator so it's shoving it's halberd down into a xenos with both hands and the storm bolter mounted on his wrists. Adorn with standard Ultra stylings. Comes complete with action-dead xenos!

@Everyone

Still need one person to pick up the Justicar Terminator, if you know anyone interested.