As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] The PAX East 2012 International Food Exchange (now with Retsin!)

DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat!I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in PAX Archive
We are now less than 60 days until the next PAX. It seems like a good time to start the PAX East 2012 International Food Exchange thread. This thread is for those of us who whilst coming to PAX to share our love of games and gaming culture, also want to share our love of food and our desire to have those things we can’t normally touch. I’m of course talking about prepared foods from far away foreign lands (like Canada, the UK, and ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ) that travel well on airplanes. This thread is dedicated to the exchange of those foodstuffs.
pd2633111.jpg
If you bring these, bring protective gear as well. There's more where that came from.

Now if you're unfamiliar with this thread, you can check out the past two.

The Penny Arcade Expo International Food Exchange - PAX East 2011
The PAX International Food Exchange - PAX Prime 2011

Those threads resulted in many great meet-ups being arranged, and many delicious noms being om'd. We even had strange Chinese candy from a far away land....China. Few were harmed in its consumption.
Cadbury-Flake.jpg
These are delicious, but can be cumbersome to eat. How they survive the trip is a mystery.

Thanks to the continuing popularity of this, I'm back to bring you the "official" thread for the exchange and delicious foods from all over. This is meant as an open forum to post what delicious noms you are bringing to PAX to share with your unfortunate American cousins, and for our awesome American hosts to make requests. Intra-Commonwealth transactions are also allowed of course. You can make exchanges, offer cash, or in the spirit of the PAX community simply share for the sake of sharing. It's your call.

OP Update!
The wonderful denizens of this community have arranged a meetup for the exchange of noms. It will be at 2:00PM (14:00) on Friday in the queue/food court!

Note: Please be aware of the laws for importing and exporting foods, both in your country of origin and destination. Links to the three main governing bodies we will be dealing with can be found here. Any others? Suggest them in thread and I'll add them.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection
HM Revenue & Customs
Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)

We can also take suggestions as to interesting things to take home, and probe around if a certain delicious nom is or isn't available in great USandA. It's all up to you.
borat-high-five.jpg

Protip: Do not try to import Kinder Surprise into the US. They will be confiscated by CBP and the parts within are deemed a choking hazard under US law.

camo_sig2.png
I never finish anyth
Decius on

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I would love some Irn Bru. It sounds....intriguing.

I found some Jaffa Cakes at a local British import shop. $6.75 for the pkg :( but they were good :)

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    Decius wrote:
    We even had strange Chinese candy from a far away land....China. Few were harmed in its consumption.

You can't really say that yet because some things like lead take a while to show the effects.

Despite that, I would gladly bring an assortment of goodies from China, if anyone would like them!

Evil Delicious Things Previously Delivered:

strawberry/banana/peach and other random flavor microwave popcorn
    random good candy
    random 'oh my god is that really tuna flavored' candy
    moon cakes (although out of season, I can still find some usually)
    paint thinner, also know as bai jiu, chinese grain alcohol
    Pocky and it's chinese cousin, Pejoy
    blackblack gum
    seaweed/lime/blueberry pringles

Or if you want something specific, I shall begin the search!

I will also be swinging by Florida before Boston, so if anyone has a craving for something specific from there...I dunno, pecan logs?...I can grab that as well!

• feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    Decius wrote:
    Protip: Do not try to import Kinder Surprise into the US. They will be confiscated by CBP and the parts within are deemed a choking hazard under US law.

This is very true. It's also one of the many things that makes me weep for the state of the US.

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Bai jiu sounds like it'd be an interesting time.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • trinistandtrinistand Registered User regular
    Is it against the rules to request alcoholic beverages? I'm after a few bottles of whisk(e)y that aren't imported to the States.

• kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I first did this in PAX East 2010 and it was very successful. By way of suggestion I can offer to provide the following foodstuffs:

Thornton's Chocolate
    McVitie's Jaffa Cakes
    Common British biscuits such a Bourbon and Custard Cream
    Bounty bar (Dark and Milk variety)
    Aero
    Mars Bar (similar to Milkyway)
    Double Decker
    PG Tips, Tetley, Typhoo and Yorkshire Tea bags
    Fox's Glacier Fruits/mints
    Boost Bar
    Minstrels (large M&M like milk chocolate disks)
    Maltesers
    Munchies
    Penguin chocolate biscuits

DM your order and I shall endeavour to fulfil it.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    trinistand wrote:
    Is it against the rules to request alcoholic beverages? I'm after a few bottles of whisk(e)y that aren't imported to the States.

Never has been a problem previously, as long as both parties are within their legal rights to possess it and are aware of potential customs/duties :)

trinistand wrote:

Never has been a problem previously, as long as both parties are within their legal rights to possess it and are aware of potential customs/duties :)

That's fair. I'll have to make a list. Anyone coming from Japan? :)

kropotkin wrote:
    Aero
    Maltesers

These can also be got from Canada. I'm not kidding when I say mint Aero is very popular.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Woke up, checked my e-mail and saw this message sent directly to me.

I immediately knew this day would be glorious.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Decius wrote:
    I would love some Irn Bru. It sounds....intriguing.

I found some Jaffa Cakes at a local British import shop. $6.75 for the pkg :( but they were good :)

Jaffa cakes are sold in the US now. The US brand is Pim's by LU. You can find them in orange or raspberry flavors in the cookie aisles of most large grocery stores. (http://www.igourmet.com/images/productsLG/150pimms.jpg)

When they first started marketing in the US (about 10 years ago), they had a Pear flavor that was to DIE FOR. It's no longer available but I'd love to get some if they're still sold in the UK!

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    hrm I'm landing in Boston at around dinner time. If the flight from Ottawa wasn't an hour and a half, I'd ask if anyone wanted poutine for dinner :lol:

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Does anybody come from a country or area that sells peppermint schnapps that comes in a blue colour and has sugar crystals along the bottom of the bottle?

If yes, I'm very interested.

Edit:

Alternatively, If anybody is coming from hawaii, I'm interested in the Hawaiian made Vodka distilled with pineapples. :)

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    Oh god. hod og! Someone please bring me a bag of All Dressed chips! I am so excited by this prospect that I am scrambling my letters!

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    This is a great idea! I would love to be part of it. Do any of the US people ever bring regional goodies? Like my dad family is from the south and they have a couple amazing things that we can't get up here in the north.

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Decius wrote:
    kropotkin wrote:
    Aero
    Maltesers

These can also be got from Canada. I'm not kidding when I say mint Aero is very popular.

VERY popular. I'd love to get some mint Aero and Mars. I'm willing to trade local craft beers.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
    edited February 2012
    SmallLady wrote:
    Alternatively, If anybody is coming from hawaii, I'm interested in the Hawaiian made Vodka distilled with pineapples. :)

Have you tried this? http://softtailspirits.com/ It's made from apples just outside of Seattle, and is possibly the best Vodka I've ever had.

LexiconGrrl on
  • vicechanvicechan Registered User regular
    This is a great idea! I'll hunt around and maybe try to order some awesome stuff from Japan to share. I'm from Oklahoma, so my regional stuff is southern themed. I can bring some of our best beef jerky. . .

trinistand wrote:

If it's a popular Japanese whiskey, they'll likely have it here. I can start looking if you give me a pic/reference

• RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    SmallLady wrote:
    Does anybody come from a country or area that sells peppermint schnapps that comes in a blue colour and has sugar crystals along the bottom of the bottle?

I think that they stopped manufacturing that a few years ago after one of those "Won't anyone think of the children!!" uproars. I think you can make your own though..I remember someone in my dorm making regular peppermint schnapps grow crystals by dropping some already formed rock candy into the bottle. I don't remember if he had to add any regular sugar to it or if he did anything else to it though :(

If anyone is coming from Australia I hear that Tim Tams are pretty good. We get some pepperidge farms knock off every once in a while but they have that crappy mass produced chalkolate instead of real chocolate.

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Rhiley wrote:
    SmallLady wrote:

I think that they stopped manufacturing that a few years ago after one of those "Won't anyone think of the children!!" uproars. I think you can make your own though..I remember someone in my dorm making regular peppermint schnapps grow crystals by dropping some already formed rock candy into the bottle. I don't remember if he had to add any regular sugar to it or if he did anything else to it though :(

NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

dammit

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    SmallLady wrote:
    NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

dammit

This might be what you're looking for. Now if anyone sells it is another question.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    In the past I spoke with various members of the community about bringing TimBits. This was after people showed curiosity (after watching this movie) and I figured I would bring an assload at the next PAX East. However now that I had to actually think about doing it I realized it was probably very foolish. Even a fresh batch would barely survive a 6 hour drive (7 if I do a pit stop, and I will)... in the cold even. That and I don't know if customs would have an issue with bringing in that much food (I figured I would make it worth the trip by buying a box of 100). I think the only way to have people profit from this is if I dump them at the Westin gaming night area, or something, but chances are I would only be delivering a box of dried up donut rocks. And that only starts later in the evening? So yeah... No promises.

tibits_JPG_1277678cl-8.jpg

I just may stick to buying a big box of varied Nestlee bars and re-distribute as I did last year.

That box contained a respectable quantity of these:
    - Kit Kat : Canadian, not USA. Yes, there's a big difference apparently.
    - Coffee Crisps : Exclusive to Canada
    - Smarties: Canadian version is a competition to M&Ms and not the chalk hard candy that Americans have under the same name
    - Aeros : Exclusive to Canada, the normal chocolate kind, but I will be getting mint ones on the side as well

Also, looking at last year's thread there is also apparent interest in Ketchup flavored chips and Maple Creme Cookies.
    gigabrain wrote:
    Decius wrote:
    kropotkin wrote:
    Aero
    Maltesers

VERY popular. I'd love to get some mint Aero and Mars. I'm willing to trade local craft beers.

I can set you up kind sir, with either mint Aeros and/or Mars bars. Hell, why not both. There are tons of them within 10 minutes of walking distance :)

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    trinistand wrote:

If it's a popular Japanese whiskey, they'll likely have it here. I can start looking if you give me a pic/reference

Will shoot you a PM this weekend :D

• Kiki_louKiki_lou Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Would someone from the UK be able to bring Jammie Dodgers? I hope I spelt it right! I can exchange for Canadian goodies!! DM me!

Someone has DM'ed me about Jammie Dodgers so I'm good!

Kiki_lou on
    I also would like Jammie Dodgers.
    If anyone is flying in from Portland, this would be a good chance to get Voodoo Donuts as well. I've had them after a 12 hour ride and they're fine.

Coming from Seattle, I would be happy to bring some Smoked Salmon or Aplets and Cotlets (they're like turkish delight), though that's not that unusual.

• adastraadastra Registered User regular
    If no one in the UK is able to provide Jammie Dodgers, the grocery store down the street here in Maryland usually has them. ;-)

• MxWoodMxWood Registered User regular
    SmallLady wrote:
    Rhiley wrote:
    SmallLady wrote:

dammit

Sounds Like Aftershock to me, I used to love that stuff.

@Frugus, are TimBits that prone to staling? Or just that delicious fresh? Some jelly filled ones sound amazing. I never knew that was Canadian for "doughnut hole". Is Mountain Dew still caffeine free there? If you're of that persuasion, I could bring you some of our finest Mt Dew or its varieties. . .

Speaking of sodas, anyone interested in Cheerwine? It's a Carolinas thing, so they don't sell it in my area, but they sell bottles of it in my airport and it is soooo delicious. It's become a travel tradition for me.

vicechan wrote:
    Speaking of sodas, anyone interested in Cheerwine? It's a Carolinas thing, so they don't sell it in my area, but they sell bottles of it in my airport and it is soooo delicious. It's become a travel tradition for me.

OH MAN CHEERWINE. The name implies two things, and it only delivers on one, at most. ;-)

In that vein, I'd give just about anything for some Barq's Red Cream Soda, if it exists in your vicinity and you can safely get it to Boston.

Also, Canadians... do your local stores still sell the original Hubba Bubba bubblegum? Not Hubba Bubba Max, but the original stuff (often in a multi-pack with original/strawberry/grape). That's my number one import when I visit the Northern Lands. Well, that, all-dressed potato chips, and a can or two of poutine sauce.

vicechan wrote:

OH GOD YES! If you can find a diet, that'd be fab, but a regular would be awesome as well. Cheerwine is ultra crack and Mt. Dew Code Red should bow and cry for being an inferior copy.

Need anything from.... China?

edited February 2012
    adastra wrote:
    In that vein, I'd give just about anything for some Barq's Red Cream Soda, if it exists in your vicinity and you can safely get it to Boston.

I've only heard about Barq's Red Creme Soda is hushed tones. . .I might have tried it at a Coca-Cola World, but I can't remember. Did you want some Cheerwine, adastra?
    OH GOD YES! If you can find a diet, that'd be fab, but a regular would be awesome as well. Cheerwine is ultra crack and Mt. Dew Code Red should bow and cry for being an inferior copy.

Need anything from.... China?

Actually, a soda shop in my downtown only has Diet. XD I can pick you up one! I feel that Code Red is a totally different animal and amazing in its own right, however!

I'm more familiar with Japanese snacks than Chinese, but I had a friend visit China recently and I'll have to see if she has any recommendations. Anything delicious and chocolatey from China that you're aware of?

EDIT: Just read your original post. "Blueberry/lime/seaweed pringles." THIS. Any weird Pringles, prz!

vicechan on
    edited February 2012
    vicechan wrote:
    I've only heard about Barq's Red Creme Soda is hushed tones. . .I might have tried it at a Coca-Cola World, but I can't remember. Did you want some Cheerwine, adastra?

I can usually get Cheerwine locally (I'm in Maryland, we drive down into central Virginia regularly), but haven't had a Red Cream Soda in quite a few years. I just realized that I should be able to find some when I'm in New Orleans later this year, which put a smile on my face.

Regional sodas are always interesting. Not always good, but always interesting!

I thought of another thing I've always been on the lookout for - weird Japanese sodas. Rumor has it that Ramune has been produced in Curry, Kimchi, Octopus, Wasabi, Flaming, Sour, and Mystery flavors. :shock:

adastra on
  • Reverend SnideReverend Snide Registered User regular
    Rhiley wrote:
    If anyone is coming from Australia I hear that Tim Tams are pretty good.

Tim Tams can be arranged- I had a few packs in tow at PAX East last year.

Have miles, will travel | Twitter | XBL: Reverend Snide | Wii U/PSN: ReverendSnide
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2012
    I would be incredibly grateful for some Mint Aeros. I live in upstate NY, so I'm not sure if there's any semi-unique foodstuffs I can offer in return. I can offer thanks and money though :P Or finger lakes wine... something like that. I know someone brought Rdr an entire box of Mint Aeros last year. I'll trade whatever it takes to get that ;)

Edit: Received a PM about Aeros, so that request is very fulfilled :) However, if anyone can think of anything they want from the Rochester, NY area, let me know. We basically have very good quality white wines locally, amazing apples (which are sadly out of season right now, so I guess that's out), and then other "normal" USA stuff that probably isn't unique to this area.

zerzhul on
    Somewhat on topic but more for the Boston dwellers. If you haven't been to Cardullo's in Harvard Square, they import a lot of international foods (albeit marked up a ton). I know I've seen Aeros and Tim Tams there...

adastra wrote:
    Regional sodas are always interesting. Not always good, but always interesting!

I thought of another thing I've always been on the lookout for - weird Japanese sodas. Rumor has it that Ramune has been produced in Curry, Kimchi, Octopus, Wasabi, Flaming, Sour, and Mystery flavors. :shock:

Their Pepsi variants are also very interesting. I didn't know they made that many ramune flavors! The stores around me only have the usual flavors and if I'm packing Cheerwine, I'll probably skip on ordering more bottles to carry around.

This is going to be tasty and fun. :3

Hey, I just saw these in the grocery store - anybody know if they're the same as Aero Bars? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/07/hersheys-aerated-milk-chocolate_n_872484.html

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey, I just saw these in the grocery store - anybody know if they're the same as Aero Bars? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/07/hersheys-aerated-milk-chocolate_n_872484.html

They are similar, and intended to be the Aero of the US, but they are most certainly different. I find the Aero bars to be far superior in chocolate quality and slightly superior in texture.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    This is a great idea! I would love to be part of it. Do any of the US people ever bring regional goodies? Like my dad family is from the south and they have a couple amazing things that we can't get up here in the north.

i almost didn't even read this thread because i didn't have any special feelings about any particular international foodstuffs, but then i saw this and my brain went OMGREGIONALROOTBEERS!

my bf and i collect regional root beers (the empty bottles of course, because they must be sampled). our collection is generally pretty northeast inclined, so if anyone has any good ones to recommend from elsewhere in the country or world, i'd love to add to the collection! also, if you are in ny and can snag me a saranac or an ithaca, they are some of my favs and i miss them.

i am boston local so my trading options are limited since, you know, you'll all be here. i am willing to trade dollar bills and firm handshakes, however.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png