As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] The PAX East 2012 International Food Exchange (now with Retsin!)

• vicechanvicechan Registered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote:

i almost didn't even read this thread because i didn't have any special feelings about any particular international foodstuffs, but then i saw this and my brain went OMGREGIONALROOTBEERS!

Have you had Henry Weinhard's? That's probably the most unique root beer I've ever had. "Dang! That's Good" Root Beer is fun, too. Route 66 Root Beer is the only thing that strikes me as regional, around here. There may be an Oklahoma Root Beer, but I'll need to do some browsing.

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    vicechan wrote:
    @Frugus, are TimBits that prone to staling? Or just that delicious fresh? Some jelly filled ones sound amazing. I never knew that was Canadian for "doughnut hole". Is Mountain Dew still caffeine free there? If you're of that persuasion, I could bring you some of our finest Mt Dew or its varieties. . .

Speaking of sodas, anyone interested in Cheerwine? It's a Carolinas thing, so they don't sell it in my area, but they sell bottles of it in my airport and it is soooo delicious. It's become a travel tradition for me.

They are just like any donuts - the longer they stay on the shelf, the worse they get unless you have access to a microwave, which I believe is a technique best used on certain kinds only.

If you are really curious I could always bring a small box instead of a big one :)

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    vicechan wrote:
    tvethiopia wrote:

i almost didn't even read this thread because i didn't have any special feelings about any particular international foodstuffs, but then i saw this and my brain went OMGREGIONALROOTBEERS!

Have you had Henry Weinhard's? That's probably the most unique root beer I've ever had. "Dang! That's Good" Root Beer is fun, too. Route 66 Root Beer is the only thing that strikes me as regional, around here. There may be an Oklahoma Root Beer, but I'll need to do some browsing.

i haven't had any of those you mentioned and would be interested in any of them. what is particularly unique about henry weinhard's? i tend to favor less sweet root beers, and something with a distinctive bit of wintergreen, but i'll try anything. yay root beer!

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • marmaduketwistmarmaduketwist London, UKRegistered User regular
    If anybody needs any food from the UK just message me. I'm obviously limited by UK and US customs laws as to what I can bring, so no roast beef, black pudding (yuck), or haggis (ew)

Frugus wrote:
    They are just like any donuts - the longer they stay on the shelf, the worse they get unless you have access to a microwave, which I believe is a technique best used on certain kinds only.

If you are really curious I could always bring a small box instead of a big one :)

I am really curious. :) Maybe a ziplock bag would help preserve them? The jelly, dutchie, sour cream and banana glaze all sound so good. Whatever you can do! Let me know if there's anything specific you'd like!
    tvethiopia wrote:
    i haven't had any of those you mentioned and would be interested in any of them. what is particularly unique about henry weinhard's? i tend to favor less sweet root beers, and something with a distinctive bit of wintergreen, but i'll try anything. yay root beer!

That's it, I'm bringing you a Henry Weinhard's. I struggle to describe it. I enjoy different (root) beers, but don't know them well enough to say what makes it different. Here's a blurb that I agree with that I found.

"Nice appearance, interesting taste, complex, vanilla-y. Not what I would expect root beer to taste like, but still good." It's very smooth, not a lot of carbonation. Not a lot of bite, but a slight punch.

• TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    Does anyone have access to Moxie? I would love to get my hands on a 6-pack!

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular

most grocery stores in the boston area carry moxie.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    tvethiopia wrote:

most grocery stores in the boston area carry moxie.
    SEXcellent

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
    vicechan wrote:
    Frugus wrote:

I am really curious. :) Maybe a ziplock bag would help preserve them? The jelly, dutchie, sour cream and banana glaze all sound so good. Whatever you can do! Let me know if there's anything specific you'd like!

I'll see what I can do then :)

Personally speaking I'm a fan of the sour cream ones. Not sure if I'll be able to get banana ones though, IIRC those are some of the flavors that come and go on a regular basis. Usually they have four or five flavors available at any time and the standards are Jelly, Glazed, Choco and something something spices (I really don't know but I kind of like them).

I'm making an note to bring a box of 20 and put the whole thing in a ziplock. Are you going to be at the PPD?

You were mentioning something of the alcohol variety? :)

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    Frugus wrote:
    I'll see what I can do then :)

Personally speaking I'm a fan of the sour cream ones. Not sure if I'll be able to get banana ones though, IIRC those are some of the flavors that come and go on a regular basis. Usually they have four or five flavors available at any time and the standards are Jelly, Glazed, Choco and something something spices (I really don't know but I kind of like them).

I'm making an note to bring a box of 20 and put the whole thing in a ziplock. Are you going to be at the PPD?

You were mentioning something of the alcohol variety? :)

Sweet, I really appreciate it. :D Jelly blows my mind because we just don't have filled TimBits around here (that I've seen). Love chocolate and something spices is always good!

I'm not going to PPD, unfortunately. :( I am intending on going to the PokeCrawl, though, once the sign-ups start. That's after PPD or I can drop by?

We all do need to arrange when this Food Exchange at large is going to go down.

I've only had sodas on the for sure "To Bring" list, but if you are interested in something of the alcohol variety, I can provide! My favorite beer from Oklahoma is an IPA, if you're into that sort of thing.

• sillyzombie666sillyzombie666 massRegistered User regular
    hey guys im new to the forums but went to pax last year and i live about an hours train ride from the convention center.

what im looking for is anything crazy from japan thats hard to find in the usa, so no easy to grab pocky. also i would love to find some strange soda from any country , whether it be really good or just WHY DID THEY MAKE THAT type of soda lol. also if any one heres from the west and can grab catus candy ... that is starting to be my new addiction.

i work at a local grocery store so i can score a bunch of uk, jp and some other region sweets but nothing really hard to find, also there are some 5 below stores near me so i can get chorooms and ramune drink. let me know if any ones looking for some local new England treats

I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    I can get Jones Soda.

Check the Limited Editions section. They used to do really wild flavors like Turkey Dinner and Pine Tree but they're doing those less and less. I guess they didn't sell. But you can call them and order wild flavors - they love doing that.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • sillyzombie666sillyzombie666 massRegistered User regular
    I can get Jones Soda.

Check the Limited Editions section. They used to do really wild flavors like Turkey Dinner and Pine Tree but they're doing those less and less. I guess they didn't sell. But you can call them and order wild flavors - they love doing that.

this year i got the less wild holiday pack and they were pretty good, i wish i could still find the jones soda water melon... i love water melon soda but its impossible to find

I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN
  • adastraadastra Registered User regular
    I can get Jones Soda.

I saved up a few years' worth of weird sodas - all of the things they made for Thanksgiving and Christmas and Halloween and other things. It meant that I had everything from Brussels Sprouts to Salmon Pate to Corn on the Cob to several varieties of pie. And they were pretty much universally horrifying. I hosted a tasting party and most people didn't finish the full 25+ course "meal." I ducked out at Green Bean Casserole to dry heave in the bathroom and then returned for pie. The main culprit? Even the savory flavors are sweet! And while Mashed Potatoes may not make a good soda... super-sweet mashed potatoes makes a puketastic soda. The Herbal Stuffing turned out to be the only unsweetened one and was very nice in a gin and tonic.

:D:D

I realized when I was out shopping today that there's a pretty unique Baltimore-area thing that I could contribute - Berger cookies! These are crazy rich and definitely only for chocolate lovers - but OMG FTW. One is a treat, two is over-indulgence. ;-)

I could probably pick up some before PAX (or on the way, since we'll pass Charm City) if people were interested.

• d0ughb0yd0ughb0y Registered User regular
    I'd like to get in on this. I'm not sure what I'd like, but anything out there that I can't readily get in NJ.

I can't think of too many things that are specific to here... Salt water Taffy?

adastra wrote:
    I realized when I was out shopping today that there's a pretty unique Baltimore-area thing that I could contribute - Berger cookies! These are crazy rich and definitely only for chocolate lovers - but OMG FTW. One is a treat, two is over-indulgence. ;-)

A thousand times yes, Berger cookies. *_* I've never heard of them, but I'm a chocolate lover, so there can never be too much. ;) If you would, please!

• chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    Hello Canada-ponies!

Anyone who could find one of these http://imgur.com/Y7Uo2 (or other pony chocolate confections) I would either purchase or trade (up to and including soul) for!

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    Coffee Crisps! I love those things. If anyone wants to bring me a big box of them I will be so happy <3 I live in NH, so I don't have access to anything you can't get in the Boston area, but send me a price and I will give cash monies.
    adastra wrote: »

Also this. I would love to try these :D If they are really that overly chocolatey, I will save them for when my special places are bleeding. #TMI?

HI3789R.png
    vicechan wrote: »
    A thousand times yes, Berger cookies. *_* I've never heard of them, but I'm a chocolate lover, so there can never be too much. ;) If you would, please!

Sure! We can buy the BY THE POUND around here. :rotate:
    punzie wrote: »
    Also this. I would love to try these :D If they are really that overly chocolatey, I will save them for when my special places are bleeding. #TMI?

Heh, they are pretty much like eating pure ganache or super-rich fudge. And they've been helpful this week. #TMI

P.S. <3 Coffee Crisp <3!!!

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    punzie wrote:
    Coffee Crisps! I love those things. If anyone wants to bring me a big box of them I will be so happy <3 I live in NH, so I don't have access to anything you can't get in the Boston area, but send me a price and I will give cash monies.

This I can do. Just keep them away from @Emod. @chaosisorder can fill you in on the details :lol:

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • steakfacesteakface Registered User new member
    I've heard that you cannot get All-Dressed chips in the States. This is a travesty.

H6awo.jpg

I'm bringing a couple of bags down in hopes of sparking new friendships and addictions.

(May as well bring down a few Aero Mint bars too.)

Anybody want Aplets and Cotlets? They're basically Turkish Delight, without the rosewater. Made from local fruit(s).

iAPCOT.jpg

• PengKuiWeiPengKuiWei Registered User regular
    If anyone can find Blue Hawaii flavored Hi Chew, I'd love like 5,000 packs (or as many as you're willing to carry). My girlfriend brought a pack back from Hong Kong a couple of years ago and it was the best fruity candy I ever had. I think they might have been some sort limited edition, though, since I can't seem to find them available online anywhere and a friend in Japan has never seen them, even after searching extensively for them about a year and a half ago.

It's the middle pack from this picture, in case anyone can spot them in the wild:
    cfc21fb6.jpg

If anyone wants anything, I live in NYC so I'm able to get some slightly exotic Japanese candies at one of several groceries around here, but I'm not too sure what's readily available at general Asian markets and what's harder to come by that I have access to.

Decius wrote: »
    punzie wrote:

This I can do. Just keep them away from @Emod. @chaosisorder can fill you in on the details :lol:

Damn, I would have loved to provide Punzie with edibles, for she has changed my life with that cookie that YES I STILL TALK, THINK AND DREAM ABOUT IT.

PS. I already planned to bring a few coffee crips :)

For everyone else - what is the most insane chip like thing that you think is exclusive to the US? Do want.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Frugus wrote:
    For everyone else - what is the most insane chip like thing that you think is exclusive to the US? Do want.

If you like spicy, any of the Blair's variety of potato chips. I've seen them in Canada, but only in limited locales. 7-Eleven had them for a short time, and Safeway currently carries them. They are H-H-H-HOT

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    steakface wrote: »
    I've heard that you cannot get All-Dressed chips in the States. This is a travesty.

H6awo.jpg

I'm bringing a couple of bags down in hopes of sparking new friendships and addictions.

(May as well bring down a few Aero Mint bars too.)

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
    Coffee Crisp sounds amazing. So do these All Dressed Up Chips. I'm so excited about this. :D Thanks for bringing the Berger, adastra!
    Frugus wrote: »

The most insane chip that I can think of that is probably US exclusive are these Herr's Baby Back Ribs chips. They taste like ribs. *_* I'm not even a big rib fan, but these are pretty fantastic. I can see if I can track some down. . .

steakface wrote: »

I do love me some All-Dressed. Also, I think Canadian ketchup-flavored chips are superior to the ones we can get in the US. The Onion Rings and Ketchup Doritos we picked up last year in Montreal, however, were hugely disappointing. Even more disappointing than the mystery-flavored Doritos where the mystery flavor was Mountain Dew. :shock:

On a more weird note, I wouldn't mind a jar of M'Lord Pickled Asparagus if anyone in Canada can get it locally. It is the best pickled asparagus I've ever purchased.

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    Frugus wrote: »

Damn, I would have loved to provide Punzie with edibles, for she has changed my life with that cookie that YES I STILL TALK, THINK AND DREAM ABOUT IT.

Yes, more Coffee Crisps! I want to receive way more than I expect or can conceivably consume so then I can make it rain Coffee Crisps all PAX like Rdr did with Mint Aeros last year.

(Some artistic license applied.)

HI3789R.png
  • chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    punzie wrote: »
    [

Yes, more Coffee Crisps! I want to receive way more than I expect or can conceivably consume so then I can make it rain Coffee Crisps all PAX like Rdr did with Mint Aeros last year.

See, I assumed getting CASES of them would cause this with Emod.

I underestimated his consumption rate /drastically/. Also punzie, beware Emod with them. He can smell them on you like a dog smells fear.

• rascalrascal Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Rhiley wrote:
    If anyone is coming from Australia I hear that Tim Tams are pretty good.
    Tim Tams can be arranged- I had a few packs in tow at PAX East last year.

Any room for Thins Sweet Chili & Sour Cream crisps?...maybe a nook or cranny for Violet Crumble?
    We spent a month travelling around Oz & NZ last summer, and made it our mission to sample every interesting crisp available -- so I speak with authority that Sweet Chili & Sour Cream is the One, the True Crisp. I so wanted to like the Walker's Roast Lamb & Mint crisps we sampled in NZ but it tasted like toothpaste. Oh, and the bacon and spicy cheese Twistees, Rashuns and Zigzags...truly celestial apostles all.

rascal on
  • Reverend SnideReverend Snide Registered User regular
    rascal wrote: »
    Any room for Thins Sweet Chili & Sour Cream crisps?...maybe a nook or cranny for Violet Crumble?

Sweet chilli and sour cream... were you thinking of Red Rock Deli crisps?

...and maybe. :)

Have miles, will travel | Twitter | XBL: Reverend Snide | Wii U/PSN: ReverendSnide
  • IzzieIzzie It's The Avatar BostonRegistered User regular
    I'm coming from the foreign land known as New Jersey.
    I know we don't have a lot of particularly interesting regional foods, but I do have access to a lot of asian (chinese, japanese, indian), arabic, and spanish markets due to the heavy ethnic populations in my area.

I have an idea of a few delicious spanish goodies (dulce de coco, coconut soda, malta) that I can try to snag before I head up and I can browse the other stores for random stuff that looks interesting / daring.

If anybody is coming from Canada or the upstates, I'd be forever in your debt for some delicious maple-sugar candies. The kind that literally melt in your mouth.
    I love that stuff but the closest area I've ever found them is in upstate NY and I never head out there anymore.
    I'd be willing to pay for / trade for a few of those. :D!

http://izziebytes.net // http://twitter.com/izziebot // G+
    Terrorizing the Gaming Universe one post at a time...
  • rascalrascal Registered User regular
    [
    Sweet chilli and sour cream... were you thinking of Red Rock Deli crisps?

...and maybe. :)

Thins for sure -- their entire line was pretty good, very light & well-seasoned. Red Rock was too crunchy for me.
    http://snackbrands.com.au/index.php/products/view/thins/thins_175gx12/thins_sweet_chilli_sour_cream_-_175g

We live in Boston, so I would be happy to bring anything local. I'd say Sam Adams but that would get heavy to haul around...

• d0ughb0yd0ughb0y Registered User regular
    Izzie wrote: »
    I'm coming from the foreign land known as New Jersey.
    I know we don't have a lot of particularly interesting regional foods, but I do have access to a lot of asian (chinese, japanese, indian), arabic, and spanish markets due to the heavy ethnic populations in my area.

I have an idea of a few delicious spanish goodies (dulce de coco, coconut soda, malta) that I can try to snag before I head up and I can browse the other stores for random stuff that looks interesting / daring.

If anybody is coming from Canada or the upstates, I'd be forever in your debt for some delicious maple-sugar candies. The kind that literally melt in your mouth.
    I love that stuff but the closest area I've ever found them is in upstate NY and I never head out there anymore.
    I'd be willing to pay for / trade for a few of those. :D!

See, I'm coming from NJ too... and I can't figure out anything (other than pork roll) that we'd have that others wouldn't. The only candy-type thing would be original salt water taffy since I'm from a beach town.

• ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    Does anyone require Tastycakes and Ketchup Chips? If so let me know. I would be inclined to make them appear for:

Maple Candy
    Jelly Babies
    Aero Bars
    Frys Turkish Delight
    Kinder Eggs
    or The thing I've been trying to find again for a long long time: Cadbury Flake

And if anyone can get their hands on some good black licorice I know my fiance would appreciate it and be more than happy to poke me forcefully in the head until I relinquished Tasty Cakes and Ketchup Chips.

And if anyone can get their hands on some good black licorice I know my fiance would appreciate it and be more than happy to poke me forcefully in the head until I relinquished Tasty Cakes and Ketchup Chips.

Have you tried either of these? Not sure if they're regional or not..?
    Panda Black Licorice
    Kookuburra Black Licorice

• AtallaAtalla Registered User regular
    I would love to get in on this but can't think of anything...besides everything...that would want. I would love to try anything I can't get in Hawaii or in Pennsylvania. However if there is anything anyone wants from Hawaii, or PA let me know and I would be more than happy to bring it along with me!

• SoCo_and_LimeSoCo_and_Lime Registered User regular
    bassetts-jelly-babies__63184_zoom.jpg

I will pay top dollar. I'm coming from NJ so there's really nothing of value I can bring to the equation :/

[x] Bolt Bus
    [x] Radisson Hotel Boston
    [x] Pre-Pax Dinner
    [x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass