As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] The PAX East 2012 International Food Exchange (now with Retsin!)

• rascalrascal Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Thirty ounces of savory crispy spuddy goodness, incoming:

e87f5g.jpg

If there's a lot of interest in these flavors, I could be persuaded to go back to the store to buy more.
    This food exchange is going to look like a beauty pageant for potato chips from around the world!

Frugus wrote: »
    I also verified that I do have access to All Dress Ruffles and various Ketchup type chips (one was "Spicy Ketchup at least") so if that's something I should add to my bag please say so.
    YES please!

I'm flying over from Singapore so if there's anything I can contribute, let me know.

I love Singaporean food, but chili crab and carrot cake w/fried oysters won't travel well. I recall there's some pretty radical potato chip flavors though -- spicy salmon?

rascal on
  • girlgamer88girlgamer88 Registered User regular
    I know I'm coming into this kind of late but if anyone could find me some Kinder Reigel I'd be ridiculously happy. I'm in NH so I don't have much to offer in trade besides money.

8BitBek

Future game art lady!
  • vicechanvicechan Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

I'll bring an assortment of Aeros, Smarties, Coffee Crsisps and Canadian version Kit Kats. I'm also adding a box of Maple Dare cookies. I'll just wing it from there and see if anyone has stuff for trade, but as I mentioned earlier I'm a sucker for chips myself. I also verified that I do have access to All Dress Ruffles and various Ketchup type chips (one was "Spicy Ketchup at least") so if that's something I should add to my bag please say so.

Late to the party I know, but would that exchange offer still be on the table? Aside from the obvious Poutine and Tim Bits, what would I be able to offer in return?

I think whatever you mentioned here would be just grand. Bring it at 2 PM on Friday to the queue/food court! I can't find the Baby Back Ribs Chips, but @rascal seems to be on it! Those ribs ones are amazing, @rascal, GREAT call!
    Atalla wrote: »
    Friday at 2pm...anyone want anything from Hawaii????

If you could bring some stuff from Napoleon's bakery and it would survive, my childhood would love you forever.

The only thing I have right now is some sodas that have been specifically asked for (with some extra cane sugar Dr. Pepper which has been placed on lock by Dr. Pepper corporate), some of the banana variety of the best marshmallows of all time, and I'm going to try to find some honey bbq Cheetos that were a hit at a recent camping trip. I'm also going to get some locally made peppered beef jerky, it's kind of my favorite and says "south."

vicechan on
    I know I'm coming into this kind of late but if anyone could find me some Kinder Reigel I'd be ridiculously happy. I'm in NH so I don't have much to offer in trade besides money.

I can't promise you Kinder Reigel (I know I've seen them, but I can't remember where/when), but you should bring Doodle's Waffles cookies if they are close to you to the meet-up. They sound delicious and local.

• girlgamer88girlgamer88 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    vicechan wrote: »

I can't promise you Kinder Reigel (I know I've seen them, but I can't remember where/when), but you should bring Doodle's Waffles cookies if they are close to you to the meet-up. They sound delicious and local.

I've never seen/ heard of those. Concord's kind of out of my way and not an area that I frequent.

girlgamer88 on
    8BitBek

Future game art lady!
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if they're available, though I assume they are, but has anyone ever tried "Death Rain Habanero Chips". I can eat maybe THREE of these spicy badboys before I'm brought to tears. Anyone want some?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • AtallaAtalla Registered User regular

If you could bring some stuff from Napoleon's bakery and it would survive, my childhood would love you forever.

I might be able to...I just need to figure out what will last the longest. I am flying back to the east coast a few days before PAX. I don't know if it will last til Friday, are you coming into town early? I could still find something to bring as far as that's concerned. I would love to try tho! :-P

• Reverend SnideReverend Snide Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    rascal wrote: »
    Any room for Thins Sweet Chili & Sour Cream crisps?...maybe a nook or cranny for Violet Crumble?
    tumblr_m1n72kwf7q1r2kpmoo1_500.jpg

Am I doing this right?

Ninja-ish edit: the Thins were actually hard to find; Woolworths here didn't seem to carry them. Can get Violet Crumbles at the airport, they're everywhere.

Reverend Snide on
    Have miles, will travel | Twitter | XBL: Reverend Snide | Wii U/PSN: ReverendSnide
    Any room for Thins Sweet Chili & Sour Cream crisps?...maybe a nook or cranny for Violet Crumble?
    tumblr_m1n72kwf7q1r2kpmoo1_500.jpg

Ninja-ish edit: the Thins were actually hard to find; Woolworths here didn't seem to carry them. Can get Violet Crumbles at the airport, they're everywhere.

Ahh, the elusive Sweet Chili Thins! They're creating a perception filter to throw us off their savory scent, but I easily see through their yeasty disguise. Yumminess is imminent.

I've never seen/ heard of those. Concord's kind of out of my way and not an area that I frequent.

It's okay! Just a thought. I'll have to see what other NH foods I can dream of. ;)

I might be able to...I just need to figure out what will last the longest. I am flying back to the east coast a few days before PAX. I don't know if it will last til Friday, are you coming into town early? I could still find something to bring as far as that's concerned. I would love to try tho! :-P

I will be coming in on Thursday! You going to any of the pre-PAX stuff? Don't trouble yourself on my account, though. I know that donuts can get kinda icky after a day or so. . .what do you think about some Napples, maybe sealed up in a baggie or container?

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Thirty ounces of savory crispy spuddy goodness, incoming:

e87f5g.jpg
    I also verified that I do have access to All Dress Ruffles and various Ketchup type chips (one was "Spicy Ketchup at least") so if that's something I should add to my bag please say so.
    YES please!

Nice!

I'm not into spicy foods so how about a bag of your Baby back ribs and your Prime steak in exchange of my All Dressed and Spicey Ketchup? Looks like Friday 2pm at the food court is the place to go for the swap!

I think whatever you mentioned here would be just grand. Bring it at 2 PM on Friday to the queue/food court! I can't find the Baby Back Ribs Chips, but @rascal seems to be on it! Those ribs ones are amazing, @rascal, GREAT call!

Indeed it looks like I'm set for the chips, but just name something you want and I'll make sure to bring it on Friday. Got any suggestions for things that are cheese flavored? Maybe I should start looking into the sugar side of the equation as well :)

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    edited March 2012
    how about a bag of your Baby back ribs and your Prime steak in exchange of my All Dressed and Spicey Ketchup? Looks like Friday 2pm at the food court is the place to go for the swap!

@Frugus, we've got ourselves a deal! -- I'll bring you a 10 oz/283g bag of Herr's Baby Back ribs chips + a 10 oz/283g bag of Herr's Prime Steak chips, in exchange for All Dressed and Spicy Ketchup chips, yum!
    I'll be at the food court promptly at 2pm, as I'd like to attend the 3pm presentation.

I'll also bring an extra bag of the Baby Back ribs and the other flavors for everyone to sample -- they are even more delicious than Vicechan has described. I opened a bag yesterday afternoon, and 3 of us chowed through most of the bag in about an hour. If you want your own personal stash, let me know soon, so I have time to head back to the store.

rascal on
    how about a bag of your Baby back ribs and your Prime steak in exchange of my All Dressed and Spicey Ketchup? Looks like Friday 2pm at the food court is the place to go for the swap!

@Frugus, we've got ourselves a deal! -- I'll bring you a 10 oz/283g bag of Herr's Baby Back ribs chips + a 10 oz/283g bag of Herr's Prime Steak chips, in exchange for All Dressed and Spicy Ketchup chips, yum!
    I'll be at the food court promptly at 2pm, as I'd like to attend the 3pm presentation.

I'll also bring an extra bag of the Baby Back ribs and the other flavors for everyone to sample -- they are even more delicious than Vicechan has described. I opened a bag yesterday afternoon, and 3 of us chowed through most of the bag in about an hour. If you want your own personal stash, let me know soon, so I have time to head back to the store.

Woot! And yes, I realize that everyone will probably have a heavy schedule so I will do my best to respect anyone's appointments. Just Tweet something if you can't make it, I'll do the same (though I expect everything to be fine).

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    Snackfood cosplay:
    mlllj.jpg

Fitocracy:
    2e2o17o.jpg

Rascal: As stated I got your goods yesterday

Everyone else: Here's a stash of Canadian goodies I just picked up. If no one is interested in doing a trade I'll just redistribute them over the weekend.

food.JPG

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So I bought a box of those Aero Mint Lambs. I'll have 48...no wait 47....oops 46 available for distribution. I'll have them next to my machine in BYOC, but will try to make the meetup.
    They're really delicious.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Reverend SnideReverend Snide Registered User regular
    Last call for Australian noms. I picked up some Flakes and some Tim Tams just in case- for anything else you've got about 10 hours before I'm incommunicado. :)

Have miles, will travel | Twitter | XBL: Reverend Snide | Wii U/PSN: ReverendSnide
    Indeed it looks like I'm set for the chips, but just name something you want and I'll make sure to bring it on Friday. Got any suggestions for things that are cheese flavored? Maybe I should start looking into the sugar side of the equation as well :)

I was going to bring some Honey BBQ Cheetos, but I don't know if I will be able to find them. But, what do you think of these guys? I don't know if they taste different, but they're kind of Texas/Latin American style, so I'll be bringing a bag of these for sharing. I don't have any requests, but I wouldn't mind trying some Coffee Crisp!

You will be a hero for everyone you meet. ;)

What do you think of these? They look similar. . .

Decius wrote: »
    So I bought a box of those Aero Mint Lambs. I'll have 48...no wait 47....oops 46 available for distribution. I'll have them next to my machine in BYOC, but will try to make the meetup.
    They're really delicious.

Now there's 45 :oops:

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • sillyzombie666sillyzombie666 massRegistered User regular

Those Oreos and Japan Pancakes look amazing. Please to be bringing. :D

-

OKAY EVERYONE. How does 2:00 PM on Friday at the Queue/Food Court, sound for anyone who wants to meet up and share a massive pile of international food?

yes i would like to i still need to grab stuff to bring

I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN

what ever you can grab lol

hey if i bring home made ginger snaps, does any one want some

• ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    Tastycake Butterscotch Krimpets acquired and ready to roll to PAX

edited April 2012
    ok i decided to buy a piles of local newengland treats neco waffers and necco sky bars all made locally

edit .... please tell me its not to late ..any one have aba zabaas

sillyzombie666 on
  • adastraadastra Registered User regular
    I've got the Coin Lunch on Friday, but I'll be headed over directly afterwards with some of Baltimore's finest Berger Cookies to kill everyone with sheer fudginess.

adastra wrote: »
    I've got the Coin Lunch on Friday, but I'll be headed over directly afterwards with some of Baltimore's finest Berger Cookies to kill everyone with sheer fudginess.

I want those Berger Cookies so hard. I'll hang out until you show up just for that. When's coin lunch?

edited April 2012
    All right, team! My last post before the International Food Exchange! It looks like we have a great amount of stuff coming in and I'm really excited. I don't know how the queue/food court is set up, but I'll try to post up at a table around 1:30 to secure a spot. I'll be looking like Peeta from Hunger Games, probably. (lol)

I'll try to post on Twitter where I'm specifically at (@vicechan), using the #PAX and/or #PAXFoodExchange. I'll try to make it obvious and throw my goodies in the middle of the table. I'll cruise the area before settling in case anyone wants to set up camp before I do and we can gather a loot pile.

I'm bringing:

3 bottles of Cane Sugar Dr. Pepper
    1 bottle Sangria Senorial
    Aforementioned delicious banana marshmallows
    2 bags Doritos Dynamitas, one spicy nacho flavor, one chile limon. @Frugus gets first pick.
    1 bag honey barbeque Lay's.
    Anything that grabs my eye between here and the meet-up.

Things I'm bringing specifically for people to the meet-up, if you're haven't mentioned showing, let's try to make arrangements!

Diet Cheerwine for @chaosisorder
    Henry Weinhard's Root Beer for @tvethiopia
    Milka Milkinis for @girlgamer88
    Cupcakes for @Atalla (but we'll probably meet beforehand)

This should be awesome! Looking forward to seeing everyone. I endorse sharing and think it'd be great for some sharable items if we could sample and see what everyone likes/thinks. Does anyone maybe want to bring plates/cups/napkins? I'll try (or try to gank from the food court), but I'm worried about getting the food there intact, forget about accessories. ^^; Travel safe!

vicechan on
    I want those Berger Cookies so hard. I'll hang out until you show up just for that. When's coin lunch?

The coin lunch is at 12:30, so I assume I'll be done 1:30-2ish if we get prompt service.

You guys better eat some of these. Otherwise I'll be washing down a lobster roll with heart-stopping amounts of fudge.

adastra wrote: »
    You guys better eat some of these. Otherwise I'll be washing down a lobster roll with heart-stopping amounts of fudge.
    You can count on me to lighten your load :)
    Between the massive bags of chips I'm bringing and the matzoh brittle I made for Child's Play, I'm going to feel like an itinerant food peddler when I arrive at the BCEC Friday morning.

edited April 2012
    I'm going to feel like an itinerant food peddler when I arrive at the BCEC Friday morning.

My favorite type of person! ;)

Oh yeah, since there's wifi in BCEC, I suppose I can update this thread, too/some of you all with mobile web!

vicechan on
    I'm leaving soon, I have arrangements with Rascal, Gigawell and loose pickings with Vicechan, for whom will have first pick in a decent selection of Chocolate bars.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    All right, team! My last post before the International Food Exchange! It looks like we have a great amount of stuff coming in and I'm really excited. I don't know how the queue/food court is set up, but I'll try to post up at a table around 1:30 to secure a spot. I'll be looking like Peeta from Hunger Games, probably. (lol)

I'll try to post on Twitter where I'm specifically at (@vicechan), using the #PAX and/or #PAXFoodExchange. I'll try to make it obvious and throw my goodies in the middle of the table. I'll cruise the area before settling in case anyone wants to set up camp before I do and we can gather a loot pile.

I'm bringing:

3 bottles of Cane Sugar Dr. Pepper
    1 bottle Sangria Senorial
    Aforementioned delicious banana marshmallows
    2 bags Doritos Dynamitas, one spicy nacho flavor, one chile limon. @Frugus gets first pick.
    1 bag honey barbeque Lay's.
    Anything that grabs my eye between here and the meet-up.

Things I'm bringing specifically for people to the meet-up, if you're haven't mentioned showing, let's try to make arrangements!

Diet Cheerwine for @chaosisorder
    Henry Weinhard's Root Beer for @tvethiopia
    Milka Milkinis for @girlgamer88
    Cupcakes for @Atalla (but we'll probably meet beforehand)

This should be awesome! Looking forward to seeing everyone. I endorse sharing and think it'd be great for some sharable items if we could sample and see what everyone likes/thinks. Does anyone maybe want to bring plates/cups/napkins? I'll try (or try to gank from the food court), but I'm worried about getting the food there intact, forget about accessories. ^^; Travel safe!

yikes, almost forgot about this! i don't really have any exotic foodstuffs, but i will definitely swing by at 1:30ish to collect that root beer! would you like a friendship bracelet as a token of my appreciation, or would you prefer dollars?

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    ok i just got back from the store i got a pile of stuff... i splurged

new england treats
    3 things of necco waffers
    3 necco sky bars

Japanese
    2 packs botan rice candy
    2 boxes of chocorooms
    2 chocolate pocky single packs
    and 1strawberry single pack pocky

video game themed
    2 packs super mario gummies

also i will have homemade cookies

i'll be the fat guy with a big back pack, some sort of hat , 6 foot tall and ill have a video game controller belt buckle of some sort

• chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    Bah! Trapped at a slow lunch here. If i have things for you, i will be running late but will tweet out once i am camped there !

• AtallaAtalla Registered User regular
    There's a table set up....

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Well, Crap. I missed this, and brought 2 boxes of Aplets and Cotlets. If you'd like to have a box, send me a PM. They're basically a locally made Turkish Delight, without the rosewater.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    Well, Crap. I missed this, and brought 2 boxes of Aplets and Cotlets. If you'd like to have a box, send me a PM. They're basically a locally made Turkish Delight, without the rosewater.
    +

i'll take any thing free

This was super-fun! I tasted some tastes that may never be tasted again. Also, I hope no one died of fudge-clogged arteries. The best part was really the company - you guys are awesome and it was fun to talk to people from around the world! :D

I'll be giving these a try when I get home. I'll let you know how they are.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited April 2012
    Agreed, this was super-fun! I think it was a rousing success. Truth be told, this was my absolute favorite part of the con. You all are wonderful, it was good to meet all of you and I'll be doing Twitter/Facebook adds in the next few hours/days.

I'd love to hear what people thought of the things that they traded for and consumed later.

Shout-outs! <3

@atalla, the Napples are still good! I just had one tonight. What did you think of the cupcakes?
    @chaosisorder, I think your China offerings won the Unique award. Thank you so much!Part of me regrets not taking the flavored popcorn. Not the part that likes a microwave that I can use later.
    @Decius, we kept talking about you. You didn't make it out, did you? Now that I realize what the hell is going on, I would have put together a care package to you and brought it to BYOC.
    @frugus, I really really appreciate the effort for the Tim Bits. :) I'm very happy to say that I've had them and they held up well.
    @rascal, amazing call on the chips and it was good seeing you around! Did you go to the Namco Bandai party? The line was long and I gave up.
    @Reverend Snide, I'm going to buy some bread and then tell you what I think of the Vegemite, can't wait!
    @Sillyzombie666, I saw you when I was at Anime Boston. :P Nice sign! I have a picture of you in the Portal that I'll PM you or something.
    @tvethiopia, I'm sad you couldn't make it and sadder that I gave up and passed along your root beer. But seriously, PM me and I can send off that Henry Weinhard's. They are too good to not try.

Thanks to everyone who showed and traded/contributed! Let's do this again next year!

vicechan on