As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Going to school and changing career at my age.

DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat!I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm at a crossroads in my life (god that sounded even more cliche when I said it back to myself). I just turned 29. I'm an IT professional, currently working as a Systems and Network Support Analyst. The company I work for is huge, and there's no real room for advancement unless the people ahead of me retire or die. The overall mentality here is also something I'm not fond of, though it is endemic in large corporations. Now I've never taken any post secondary education for my chosen field, as I've been able to get by on experience and knowledge. I have an A+ cert and a mile long resume. However I've come to the point where I now need to consider getting some paperwork, which has lead me to the realization that I'm starting to really dislike my current career path. The company I've been working at may have had some influence on that, but I just can't see myself doing IT for the rest of my life. Since I'm already looking at schooling options, I've decided to start peaking around at full time and potentially degree programs. Engineering has piqued my interest, which has led me to this post and the afore mentioned crossroads.

Financial capability and actual application eligibility notwithstanding, at my age should I ever consider looking at a 4 year degree program? I know 29 isn't old, and people much older then me have done complete career changes. I'm not worried about being able to do a career change at 29, but I'm looking at this in the long term. I'll be 33 - 34 by the time I graduate. Anecdotal observation has shown me most people who go into Engineering do so straight out of high school (our company also hires Engineers, so I've been able to see the age spread amongst positions), so the age concerns I have more relate towards career development. Since I'm starting late in the game does that hinder my developement moving up the chain, or does it provide more benefit as I've been out in the real world (although not in a related industry)? Also does it affect my long-term earning potential? This choice requires a lot of sacrifice on my part (selling my car, moving from my nice apartment, giving up an overall comfortable lifestyle), so I'd like to know what my options are.

TL;DR thinking of jumping into a new career in Engineering at age 29. Will this limit my development and earning potential?

Edit: It should be noted that I live in Alberta and have access to one of the better Engineering faculties at the University of Alberta. I also have Metis status, which should help financially.

camo_sig2.png
I never finish anyth
Decius on

• Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    Do you have a job in mind that requires an engineering degree? Don't spend a ton of money and a bunch of time on a degree because you think it might be better than what you're doing now. It might not.

At least try some night classes or something to see if you like the subject matter.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Decius wrote:
    It should be noted that I live in Alberta and have access to one of the better Engineering faculties at the University of Alberta. I also have Metis status, which should help financially.

The only "flaw" in my dropping an IT career and pursuing a 4 year university degree (CS) was that it was financially tough because I did it 100% on my own. You are very likely to get rather nice assistance if you look for it, I know UManitoba has a pretty good native/metis system specifically in the engineering group, so take advantage of it and go for it imo.

I am now 30 and have been working for a year in my new profession and I'm ahead of my peers (that have been doing this for the several years I "missed out" on) in many ways. In my experience it is all about expectations for how far you get and receive recognition, and that is expectations built on performance and age. In other words, I come into a job performing like a 30 year old and they assume I've been at this for years. Several instances the client has put "senior" in front of my role in reviews on their own accord.

What I'm saying is worked great for me and if you want it and can finish what you start then go for it.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    finralfinral Registered User regular
    The company I work for has several engineers who started their engineering careers in the late 20's early 30's, so it's definitely a possibility.

• Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    Best of luck, Decius!

I'm 32, and currently back in school for a year doing an MSc. in Global Health, with the aim of shifting career. Previously i was a postdoctoral biomedical scientist. Definitely seconding the Infidel's comment that the financial side of things requires some very careful consideration.

Actually, the most extreme case i heard of was a friend's father who is now an airline pilot, having switched from being an accountant, at the age of 45.

• Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    Also if you go for a degree like engineering, you will most certainly be making enough to pay off whatever loans you might have to take out. Once you graduate you should have an easier time finding a job than a fresh baby faced 23 year old kid who has absolutely no experience working for a company.

y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    Be advised, engineering is hard as fuck.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    VeritasVR wrote:
    Be advised, engineering is hard as fuck.

As well, don't believe the hype.

There are plenty of unemployed engineers out there. After all, C student engineers don't really know the material well enough to work independently. So just don't be a C student.

Also don't believe the hype about salaries, look up listings for actual jobs for recently graduated engineers. Everyone loves to tell stories about how new engineering grads are all making 60k+ a year. Turns out most of them make 40k+ a year, even for the more in demand disciplines like mechanical. Which is perfectly fine money, and there's plenty of opportunity for advancement if you're halfway decent at your job, just don't count on making half again that much right away.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    What type of engineering are you interested in?

Since you are in Alberta Petroleum Engineering is a good idea. Despite the "don't count on making money right away" thing, if you do Petroleum Engineering and excel at it, you will make a LOT of fucking money fast once you graduate.

• Options
    Tom819Tom819 Haverhill, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm pondering doing the same thing.

I'm 34 and in the medical field. I started nursing school right out of HS and dropped out for personal reasons. I went back to school the next year and got a diploma in surgical technology (best described as when you see surgery on TV and the doc asks for an instrument, I'm passing said instrument). I did that for 13 years, now i work for a medical device company in their cadaver lab (yes dead bodies) training surgeons on how to use our products.

I'm thinking of going to nursing school again. I know I can get through it no problem. Just with my background alone I could probably test out of alot of courses if given the chance. It really comes down to time and money. Having to work during the day or get an OR job overnight and go to school during the day or vice versa.

Only reason why I think it could be done is because one of the ortho docs I worked for was a nurse before she went to medical school. She went at the age of 34. She graduated in her mid to late forties. I'm hmm'ing and haw' ing over 4 years and she went back for 10.

It all depends on what you want out of it.

edit**I've also thought about going into Biomedical Engineering. it's a big part of my occupation now. That's a little more out of ly league though.

Tom819 on
  • Options
    SaintElmosWireSaintElmosWire Registered User regular
    I have a very smart unemployed young mechanical engineer friend right now... so yeah it's not an instant door to employment or anything.

But that said, you're defiantly not too old to make a change provided you have the money to last out the studying. My father always used to say that going back (Years later after studying, and when he had been working and had a family) and getting his engineering degree completely changed his life and employment prospects so... I guess it might just work.

MvViV.jpg
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    You'll actually be at an advantage to the 21-22 year old recent grads because you have real world work experience under your belt.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Yeah I haven't decided on what discipline I'd go into, but I'm not worried about post graduation jobs. I drive by three engineering firms on a regular basis that call this city home (Stantec, Williams Engineering, Associated Engineering). There is also the oil industry, though I don't know if I want to go into Petroleum. Yes the money is great but I'm not too keen on the corporate culture found at the companies, if my current employer is any indication.

I think the only two concerns I have are financial, and actual application eligibility. I'll have to call the university and start looking into that. I might and end up having to take some make-up math courses from the looks of things.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Will your company pay for the degree at all? Might be a good option.

• Options
    suicidexcusesuicidexcuse Registered User regular
    From what Ive seen for the most part, your engineering dsicipline isnt a huge deal. My wife works at a natural gas utility company, here in Calgary, and everyone has different disciplines. Some are mechanical, electrical, structural. I also worked in a mid sized oil and gas company and it was pretty much the same. Petroleum, mechanical, environmental and electrical engineers all worked there. Obviously, you'll have a leg up if your the type of engineer they are looking for but even on job postings for new grads alot of them state they will look at other engineer types. Kinda useful if you cant find a job in your specific area.

I sometimes think i should have been an engineer and not an accountant. I get jealous looking at all the new grad jobs that are available for them, here in Calgary at least.

• Options
    SaintElmosWireSaintElmosWire Registered User regular
    Yeah the math's is one thing you have to stay on top of the whole way or it can become a serious problem later, or so I've heard being a lazy BA holder :P

MvViV.jpg