As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

OLD [STEAM] Thread: CLOSE ME

minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying fieldnjRegistered User regular
edited March 2012 in Games and Technology
DNfgD.png

vmtdB.gif

NYkZ8.png
fzsT8.pngtErbf.png

steamlogom.png
facebook.gif twitter.gif

fzsT8.pngCoping with Steam: Artistic Commentary on Our Shared AfflictiontErbf.png
tMRzb.jpg

xHlDY.jpg

JG9rG.jpg

steamthemall.jpg

steamdiscs.jpg

paydaycomic.jpg

steamgifting.jpg

neverfinish.jpg

coupons.jpg

fzsT8.pngMost Frequently Asked QuestionstErbf.png

1.  Steam's search tool is cumbersome and not very informative. Is there a website, other than Steam's, I can go to find out what's on sale?
2.  Can I register this copy of (Insert Game Here) on Steam?
Here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it. You can also use this to add your own shortcuts with fake names to your Steam games list to make it look like you're playing Episode 3. Hilarious, right?

3.  If I buy a game pack that already includes a game I own, can I gift that game?
Not usually. You're welcome to ask in this thread, although if you Google it it'll probably be answered even faster. Valve games are typically the only packs that let you do this, and even then it sometimes doesn't work.

4.  Why isn't {Insert Game Here} available in my horrible little corner of the earth?
Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire.  Gifting works regardless of region so you might find some helpful person in North America who can gift you the game. This very thread is a great place to ask!

5.  How do I get an invite to the Penny Arcade Steam group?
The most convenient way is to just post a link to your Steam profile page (getting one of the swank signatures described below makes it easy) and ask for an invite. Just as a word of advice, we tend to prefer that you be a regular contributor to get an invite to the group. The rule of thumb is 6 months of activity on the forums. We are well known for our generosity, and like to make sure any new additions are here for the good of the community, and not to leech during sales. That said, we're a friendly group, so make yourself at home and start posting and you'll be there in no time!

fzsT8.pngSome Words on GiftingtErbf.png

If you receive a game or pack via a gift or a contest, remember to thank that person either through a PM or by announcing it in the thread. This is not optional. We are classy gentlemen and will act as such.

Steam's new gifting features allow you to store up games in your gift bank when you purchase them, instead of having to email yourself the gift link. It'll be an option during checkout.  

A few things to remember as a giftee:
1. Make it possible to track you from PA Forums to Steam. A link directly to your steam ID is usually the most convenient. Remember, your Steam ID is different than your steam name. If you just include text to your steam name, we have to search and scroll through 5 pages to find you (and we may not find you if you're not using the same name/avatar combo!).

2. Make it possible to track you from Steam to PA Forums. Best bet is using similar avatar/name. Understandably, some people don't want to do that. In that case, you should have "I'm ______ on Penny Arcade Forums!" in your profile blurb.

Generally speaking, if you're selected for a gift from a stranger on here it will be, usually, one of two ways:

You will either post in the thread (so they will go to your profile to friend you and then to the store to send a gift.
—or—
Someone will want to gift a certain game and go to the store page where you can see everyone who has it on their wishlist.

Also, remember that a gifter can see when you added a game to your wishlist. If you add it on the day of the sale, you might have a smaller chance of being gifted it than someone who has been interested in it since release. Gifters should also make sure they are identifiable from Steam to PA Forums. Some people are shy and are too nervous to message a gifter and say "hey thanks, I have no idea who you are on forums!"

fzsT8.pngAn Important Word on ConteststErbf.png

If you decide to run or participate in a giveaway contest for gift copies of games, please remember that all entry submissions must now be made via PM. The forum mods have stated that pages of the thread being filled with pictures, videos, etc. submitted as contest entries will lead to such contests being banned. So please, for the sake of the thread – take it to PMs.  

fzsT8.pngHelpful StufftErbf.png

Steam Mover
Does your Steam library have 800 games? Do you wish you could move some of those games to different hard drives instead of deleting them entirely and then downloading them again when you want to play them? Steam Mover is here for you.

Steam Price Guide
Do you have the misfortune to live somewhere other than America? Steam hates you! Luckily, this cool website with prices for Steam games all around the world is here to help, so you can know if you want to ask an American friend to buy the game for you or not. Hint: you probably do.

Aussies
You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.

Also: Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

I've also been told you Aussies might want to try Angus Wolfcastle's SteamManager. Setting it up is easy is you follow the instructions here. If you find you're still being charged for your steam downloads, try changing the setting like in this link here.

fzsT8.pngCool Community Add-OnstErbf.png

Steam Signatures
With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon.  Pretty neat, and they're 100% free!

Sample signature:
steam_sig.png

Steam Calculator
You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Steam Roulette
Having trouble picking a game out of your burgeoning [strike]backlog[/strike] gamebank to play?  Let VicWhiten's Steam Roulette decide!  Just type in your Steam community ID (easier if you set up a custom URL on your Steam profile page), and Steam Roulette will read your library and randomly pick one game every time you hit "Spin the Wheel!"  It even connects to Steam to allow you to install or start the game with a single click.  

What's all this about serving "The Newell?"
It started with this comic:
steamregulator.jpg
And now it is our unofficial official motto.

And now, for your amusement, comic edits!
fpota.jpg
steamprayer.jpg
trainsj.jpg
contestvd.jpg

//@HiT BiT made the crab because he is our God-King

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
minor incident on

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Beautiful minor incident, beautiful.
    Drake wrote:
    DoctorArch wrote:
    I had the games on discs years ago, just long since knowing where they are. Such good MP.

Hmmm....does the multiplayer still work?

We were playing JKA quite a bit together on a PA server provided by the classy Digital Syn after the Christmas sale. And there are other servers out there, ya know... in the wild.

It has been a long time since I've been called a Mexican Jew Lizard, perhaps it's time to venture back into the wild.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • AsheAshe Registered User regular
    I love that I can simply open this thread and watch the classiest of all crabs for a few moments, and everything is right with the world again.

steam_sig.png
  • POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    signature.png

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    heenato wrote:
    You know, I don't think that avatar is quite enough anymore. It should be wearing two monocles, and have top hats stacked on each other.
    Agreed. Also, he needs some extra vertical space for his avatar, so that he can use one that does him justice like the one you mentioned.
    3wEfH.png

• PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    Important Safety Notice:

Nobody buy Stronghold 3. Holy fucking shit is that a terrible shitty pile of anal seepage.

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote:
    heenato wrote:
    You know, I don't think that avatar is quite enough anymore. It should be wearing two monocles, and have top hats stacked on each other.
    Agreed. Also, he needs some extra vertical space for his avatar, so that he can use one that does him justice like the one you mentioned.

Wow HiT BiT, I'm honored. Thank you.

signature.png

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Important item in the news feed people should be aware of.
    Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users:

We continue our investigation of last year's intrusion with the help of outside security experts. In my last note about this, I described how intruders had accessed our Steam database but we found no evidence that the intruders took information from that database. That is still the case.

Recently we learned that it is probable that the intruders obtained a copy of a backup file with information about Steam transactions between 2004 and 2008. This backup file contained user names, email addresses, encrypted billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. It did not include Steam passwords.

We do not have any evidence that the encrypted credit card numbers or billing addresses have been compromised. However as I said in November it's a good idea to watch your credit card activity and statements. And of course keeping Steam Guard on is a good idea as well.

We are still investigating and working with law enforcement authorities. Some state laws require a more formal notice of this incident so some of you will get that notice, but we wanted to update everyone with this new information now.

Gabe
    http://store.steampowered.com/news/7323/

steam_sig.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Nice, good on Steam for the disclosure.

Also, the credit card I was using at that time has expired now, so I should be good.

Still, good to know. I'll be keeping any eye out.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Handgimp man

I don't even know

I asked Multivac if it could calculate your level of classiness and the damn thing exploded into leather shoes, caviar, coinpurses, and the most exquisite silk ties. It then said it had insufficient capabilities for a meaningful answer, and then shut itself down.

SmokeStacks on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Ashe wrote:
    I love that I can simply open this thread and watch the classiest of all crabs for a few moments, and everything is right with the world again.

It's a beautiful thing, isn't it?

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I wasn't even on Steam until summer of 2009 (the shame!).

So I should be good.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    captaink wrote:
    TheCanMan wrote:
    How is the SP campaign in JK2?

Good. Single player in all the games are good. The only one I haven't beat is Mysteries of the Sith. Others I have played multiple times each.
    Yes. These are all games from when MP was a bonus and SP was the focus. Unlike many of today's games.

MotS had such a steep jump in difficulty once you got to the last planet. I finished it when it first came out but on my playthrough 3 years ago I abandoned it on one of the last 2 levels.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    I love that crab.

Also, it's Friday. This makes me happy. I would like to share my happy happy joy joys with you Steamonites. Thus, I am giving away a copy of;

Space Marine - pretty simple, just drop me a PM with one of your favourite (none offensive) words.

and

Serious Sam Pack (The Random Encounter, Double D, The First Encounter, The Second Encounter - also none Steam versions of Kamikaze Attack, and The Greek Encounter - pretty simple again, drop me a PM with one of your favourite invectives, what would you utter as the alien horde descends upon you and you pull the trigger of you favourite gun only to hear *click*.

Enter for either or both. This being PA I expect some random responses so please state which your entry pertains to, or if both, which word is for which game.

I'll ping them out Sunday morning GMT. Get enwordenating.

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
  • POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    Bullio wrote:
    Important item in the news feed people should be aware of.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/7323/
    That's...not terrible. My CC info from 2008 isn't relevant anymore, and all the rest of it is already floating around due to the PSN hack. I've already hit bottom!

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
    Everybody knows that when your shotgun/rifle/machinegun goes click you flip it around, grab the barrel, and use it as a blunt trauma weapon.

This reminds me, we gotta get some Serious Sam co-op going again sometime.

• busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    Ashe wrote:

<3

B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Handgimp man

I don't even know

I asked Multivac if it could calculate your level of classiness and the damn thing exploded into leather shoes, caviar, coinpurses, and the most exquisite silk ties. It then said it had insufficient capabilities for a meaningful answer, and then shut itself down.

Ahem

They're called "cravats."

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I love that crab.

Also, it's Friday. This makes me happy. I would like to share my happy happy joy joys with you Steamonites. Thus, I am giving away a copy of;

Space Marine - pretty simple, just drop me a PM with one of your favourite (none offensive) words.

Ah, a recruitment for more initiates to our chapter. Well played :).

• ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    Excellent work with the crab .gif in the OP.

steam_sig.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote:
    3wEfH.png

You've classed TOO DEEP. PULL BACK.

Oh brilliant
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Kadoken wrote:
    I love that crab.

Indeed. Service to the Emperor is its own reward. You are wealthy today.

Drake on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Handgimp man

I don't even know

In the long distant future, after man has died, and as the last stars in the whole of creation blink out of existence, Classivac continued to calculate. Continued to amass the data, in its pocket dimension safe from the death of the universe.

Unfathomable time passed, Until Classivac finally was done with its calculations, its data correlation, and its analysis. It had reached an answer, But with no being in all of existence to give its answer to, It did the only thing it could and created demonstration of its answer.

In a brilliant burst of light, Life filled the empty void, Stars erupted in spectacular fashion and coalesced the cosmic debris around them into planets.

And on one very special little planet, It gave its answer.

It created the steam thread, an Eternal Monument to its diligent search for the ultimate answer.

• busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    Kadoken wrote:
    I love that crab.

Drake is wise in his ways

B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote:
    Handgimp man

I don't even know

In the long distant future, after man has died, and as the last stars in the whole of creation blink out of existence, Classivac continued to calculate. Continued to amass the data, in its pocket dimension safe from the death of the universe.

Unfathomable time passed, Until Classivac finally was done with its calculations, its data correlation, and its analysis. It had reached an answer, But with no being in all of existence to give its answer to, It did the only thing it could and created demonstration of its answer.

In a brilliant burst of light, Life filled the empty void, Stars erupted in spectacular fashion and coalesced the cosmic debris around them into planets.

And on one very special little planet, It gave its answer.

It created the steam thread, an Eternal Monument to its diligent search for the ultimate answer.

I appreciate the reference. [/Q]

• NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    PA G&T Adventure Team only.

signature.png

signature.png

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Don't blame me, I voted for Dappercrab.

steam_sig.png
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    busfahrer wrote:
    Drake wrote:
    Kadoken wrote:
    I love that crab.

If we get enough regulars of SM (And perhaps Retribution), I think we should make our own chapter and legion with custom skins.
    Chapter names: The Arcadians, The Class Marines, the Top Hat Marines.
    Legion names: Children of Newell, Daily Deal Bearers, and such.

Kadoken on
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    THAT CRAB

OH GOD THAT CRAB

My day just went from "I'm on 4 hours of sleep and everything is terrible" to "Cheerio, gents! I say, shall we have a rousing game of Payday?"

Sadly I raid tonight and cannot actually play Payday with people, but that is a separate issue.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote:
    busfahrer wrote:
    Drake wrote:
    Kadoken wrote:
    I love that crab.

If we get enough regulars of SM (And perhaps Retributionsà

I gotta start playing this soon too, count me in

• tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Hmm, never mind. Misread.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Kainy wrote:
    THAT CRAB

OH GOD THAT CRAB

My day just went from "I'm on 4 hours of sleep and everything is terrible" to "Cheerio, gents! I say, shall we have a rousing game of Payday?"

Sadly I raid tonight and cannot actually play Payday with people, but that is a separate issue.

Wrong kind of raid!! :(:(

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    I'd just like to get a couple more opinions on the JK2 SP campaign. Any thoughts?

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    steam thread: at first I thought it was ridiculous that there was a hat store for portal 2. then I looked in there and they sell a pack of everything they offer for just $10.
    this... seems like a reasonable way to serve the newell. please advise.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I'm soooooooo busy that I can't make a comic edit just now but I promise to slip one into this thread before we reach 99 pages.

edited February 2012
    steam thread: at first I thought it was ridiculous that there was a hat store for portal 2. then I looked in there and they sell a pack of everything they offer for just $10.

Think of it this way - While there is glory in serving The Newell, do you really wish to encourage the inclusion of Hats to future Valve games?

Perhaps your $10 would be better spent elsewhere, dare I suggest some Train Simulator 2012 DLC?

SmokeStacks on
    Repostingbecause full message was cutout by iPhone:

If we get enough regulars of SM (And perhaps Retribution), I think we should make our own chapter and legion with custom skins.
    Chapter names: The Arcadians, The Class Marines, the Top Hat Marines.
    Legion names: Children of Newell, Daily Deal Bearers, and such

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Here's the rundown on the Star Wars games from one of the biggest Star Wars fans on these forums. I'm serious, I love Star Wars.

Star Wars: Dark Forces
    This is one of the greatest FPS games ever made. It's easily up there with DooM, Duke Nukem 3d, Marathon, and all those other awesome games (Heretic, Hexen, Blood, etc.) I would say that it's better than DooM and about as good as Duke Nukem 3d. In any case it does tremendous things and it was the first to do a number of them. I played it through a month or two ago and it was tons of fun. Cannot recommend enough for $1.24 if you at all enjoy oldschool games, first person shooters, Star Wars, or all three.

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
    Dark Forces was a groundbreaking game that did everything extremely well. Dark Forces II kicked it up a notch. A story that doesn't suck, FMV sequences that are actually pretty good as far as these things go, absolutely massive levels, spectacular shooting, force powers, and a lightsaber that hasn't been equaled since, I'd say. You kill pretty much everyone with one slice, and often arms or heads go flying. If you only buy one game on sale, grab this one.

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II: Mysteries of the Sith
    Played the demo for this and liked it, so I bought it during the winter sale but I haven't played it (almost done playing through Dark Forces II, though). I'd say grab it.

Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Dark Forces III: Jedi Outcast
    Outcast is pretty great. The first few levels are a little too faithful to the older Dark Forces games, because they're stupid key hunts in Imperial bases which fail to realize that the gunplay isn't as fun, but once you get the lightsaber things get pretty awesome. Kyle Katarn makes a pretty good Jedi Knight and the saber battles in this are off the hook. The main antagonist is a dinosaur man. A very fun Star Wars experience that I can certainly recommend.

Star Wars Jedi Knight III: Dark Force IV: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy
    Basically Jedi Outcast + goodies. You can dual wield sabers or wield a saber staff, and chill with Chewbacca or whatever. If you like Jedi Outcast and want more, this game will not disappoint. It's nothing special but if you're a Star Wars fan you'll have fun. Bonus: you choose your character's race, and if you pick some of the aliens, it looks pretty ridiculous when you talk with a normal voice in the cutscenes.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

Think of it this way - While there is glory in serving The Newell, do you really wish to encourage the inclusion of Hats to future Valve games?

Perhaps your $10 would be better spent elsewhere, dare I suggest some Train Simulator 2012 DLC?

Can you imagine how many hats they could fit in DOTA2? I don't think you can.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

Can you imagine how many hats they could fit in DOTA2? I don't think you can.

You probably wont have to imagine once it's out!

• HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Dark Forces was the first PC game I bought for my first own PC (a 486 DX2) back in 1995. That Doom meets Star Wars was glory made videogame for me!
    I am considering getting Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy mainly for the multiplayer. Is it still alive? I suppose most of the people playing online will be in Academy, right?

This discussion has been closed.