As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gfx Card update thoughts

M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
I'm looking to update my Radeon HD 4850 to a 6790 (this card http://tinyurl.com/6mos6ac specifically)

It's hard to get direct comparisons, so do you guys think it's a worthwhile, budget, upgrade ? I'm considering a completely new PC next year, but am looking for a boost to the likes of Skyrim until then, without breaking the bank.

Thanks for any tips - the rest of my system, RAM, hard drives. etc are fine for now, the gfx card is the bottleneck I think, although I am also thinking of going from 4GB of RAM to 8.

Edit - I can also get the Radeon HD 6850 for a little less, on preorder...

M-Vickers on

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    You may want to hit up the build thread stickied at the top of this subforum, but at least from this article, the jump from a 4850 to a 6790 is not that significant. The site you linked had a 6850 for about £4 more than the card you linked, and a 6870 for about £25 more.

• RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I would definitely advise you spending that little extra on the 6850, or the 6870 if you can.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Thanks for the advice - I opted for the 6870, at £115, which is handy as I have overtime on Sunday which will net me £120...

My only concern is the fact that my mobo is a 2.0 PCI-E, and the card says it's a 2.1 PCI-E - guess I'll find out in a few days if that's problem...

M-Vickers on