As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SELECT * FROM posts WHERE tid = 'PA PROGRAMMING THREAD'

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    jackal wrote: »
    Keurig adoption around here is super high. I guess it is because people are fucking animals and can't handle things like refilling coffee when it runs out and not leaving an empty carafe on the heating element.

Those things are great for single coffee drinkers (like myself) but for a group of people that's terrible.

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    Animals.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i will drink any coffee except hazelnut

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    I will drink any coffee including hazelnut.

Here we've got keurigs on every floor except the developer area. Us filthy devs just get plain old drip brewed coffee. It's pretty funny, though. Instead of regular and decaf our regular has a label on the handle that says "ewwww nasty" and it's used for the folgers packets that work provides and the decaf has a label that says "mmmm tasty" and it gets used for higher quality coffees that we buy ourselves and bring in.

The radio show I listen to on the way to work was talking about their keurig usage the other day. They've got a fancy one at the office that can tell how many cups were brewed and reports it, etc. Their keurig rep said that based on how many k-cups they were buying vs how many were actually being brewed, some ridiculous number like $20,000/yr worth of k-cups were being stolen and taken home.

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    We have keurig machines and dozens of flavours at work, but we recently got a few Jura C9 machines, and now the majority drink fresh ground espresso/coffee.

• Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Ethea wrote: »
    We have keurig machines and dozens of flavours at work, but we recently got a few Jura C9 machines, and now the majority drink fresh ground espresso/coffee.

The lab I worked in over the summer had one of those. I nearly killed myself before realizing I was drinking full mugs of espresso every morning.

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »

The integration between devices seems pretty sexy.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    seabass wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »

The integration between devices seems pretty sexy.

Yeah, but the Metro <-> Desktop transitions are a bit clunky. I can't see enterprise users going for it at all.

As a tablet OS, it looks sexy as hell. Especially with its SkyDrive/XBox integration.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    We are one of the only offices on campus that provides free coffee to visitors. The light that comes into people's eyes when I tell them "yeah, you can have some", kind of makes me sad.

(I only drink hot chocolate every once in a while during the winter...never had the taste for tea or coffee)

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Ethea wrote: »

The lab I worked in over the summer had one of those. I nearly killed myself before realizing I was drinking full mugs of espresso every morning.

We have ours set to dispense 1.5 oz espresso and 5oz coffee servings so it is hard to get a full mug of espresso.

• Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    God fucking damn it. I'm back to an mvc engine I worked on before the new year, it's supposed to read a model template and pre-load routes with default functionality.....I have misplaced my template and haven't documented properly. ALWAYS DOCUMENT YOUR CODE, FOLKS.

:x

• Options
    Haha sweeet. Our web filter blocks the Pandora ads, so I get ad free music!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Way to ruin it for the rest of your coworkers, they're gonna ban that shit too.

@Infidel did that work by the way?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I will uprise if Pandora gets blocked!

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    bowen wrote:

Sorry, did which work?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Ugh... I have to schedule my Java certification exam. Either I take a vacation day and drive to the test center ~10 minutes away, or I take it on a Saturday and drive to Cincinnati roughly 55 minutes away.

• Options
    Infidel wrote: »
    bowen wrote:

Sorry, did which work?

My PM/payment :-P

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Okay, I found some stuff about generating PDFs in ColdFusion.

New challenge: recreating the layout of the Excel spreadsheet that we've been using for invoices

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Oh God... I just deleted a design I'd been working on in my software for roughly 3 hours...

• Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    urahonky wrote: »
    Oh God... I just deleted a design I'd been working on in my software for roughly 3 hours...

ntfs undelete it. Should take you 5 mins.

Edit: Assuming there is a file....

zeeny on
  • Options
    Well, I did not embarrass myself during my interview with google. Thank crap we asked exactly the same questions the interviewer did when I taught algorithms last semester.

For those curious, what is the median of two sorted datasets? What's the time complexity, and when would you take a more naive approach and why?

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Windows 8 looks more and more like a Vista do-over to me. Meaning I'll be sticking to Windows 7 until they sunset it, because I refuse to have a tablet interface shoved down my throat for PC usage. Until Microsoft pulls their head out of their ass and realizes people still use their OS on PC's, they won't be getting any of my cash for Windows 8.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    It should be log N of the smaller set. And you'd use the simple approach for where one of the input sets is very small

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    It should be log N of the smaller set. And you'd use the simple approach for where one of the input sets is very small

Yeah, there is also a cross-over point at which merging the datasets is better, which we talked about for a bit.

Afterwards, my office mates and I proceeded to have a huge argument over whether or not you should test for the special cases where the two sets are disjoint and getting the median is essentially constant time.

• Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind the metro in Windows 8 if it was more like the Dashboard in OS X rather than a replacement for the traditional desktop.

To bring this a bit more on topic, how does everyone feel about WinRT?

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Options
    zeeny wrote: »

It is deleted using the Java file.delete() method so I'm not sure if it's even possible.

• Options
    bowen wrote:
    bowen wrote:

Sorry, did which work?

My PM/payment :-P

Oh, yes, received alright.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options

Yeah, there is also a cross-over point at which merging the datasets is better, which we talked about for a bit.

Afterwards, my office mates and I proceeded to have a huge argument over whether or not you should test for the special cases where the two sets are disjoint and getting the median is essentially constant time.

I don't see how a merge is ever better, the simple approach simply increments one index or the other (which I suppose is merging, it's just not producing any output. The disjoint check is simple, but it does pull in potentially two cache lines that otherwise would never be touched

• Options
    Anyone else getting prompted to decide who pays the fees anymore? I paid infidel last night and I was never prompted, previously I picked and incurred the $0.51 fee. I apologize if not @infidel, I don't know what the fuck.

• Options
    edited February 2012

I don't see how a merge is ever better, the simple approach simply increments one index or the other (which I suppose is merging, it's just not producing any output. The disjoint check is simple, but it does pull in potentially two cache lines that otherwise would never be touched

Merge can be better if you don't happen to find the log n implementation that you know exists, but can construct an m log n solution off the top of your head, which was the case for me. I couldn't for the life of me remember how the binary search over both sets worked, and admitted I would have to look it up in a book.

The m log n solution is to just iterate over the smaller of the two arrays, updating a median pointer that you start with as you decide if the element you're inserting into the set causes the median index to move up or down. So, if you go with the less efficient implementation, you've suddenly got to think about whether to merge and take the median, or pretend you've merged and count the offset to the median based on the relationship of n and m.

The whole "should you do the tests or not" was more a discussion of which infinity was larger, the one where the sets overlap or the one where they don't. It was just an excuse to remember how to count big things.

seabass on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    I assume by the time it is released the transition between tabby box land and real desktop will be smoother (it better be). I tried the dev preview a few weeks back and fuck that shit (as it is today).

What is really pissing me off is all of their betas don't support Vista which is some bullshit because Vista and 7 are pretty much the same OS.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    zeeny wrote: »

It is deleted using the Java file.delete() method so I'm not sure if it's even possible.

It is. file.delete() just maps to an OS delete call, which eventually filters down to a raw NTFS call to delete the file. NTFS undelete should work.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Are you sure that's not just O(n)? Merging sorted sets shouldn't be n log n in any situation

• Options
    Look at all these nerds talking about data structures and algos.

Maybe you guys should've used a associative array.

Also stroustrup's C++ book is a funny read because he jumps all over the god damned place.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Are you sure that's not just O(n)? Merging sorted sets shouldn't be n log n in any situation

The merge is order n. If you've got two datasets where one is way smaller than the other,you can get away with an m log n approach, where m is smaller than n, and sometimes m log n is smaller than m + n.

The whole process has reminded me that I should occasionally take my nose out of a book and write some code.

Also, associative arrays are nice, but skip lists are where it's at.

seabass on
  • Options
    seabass wrote:

Merge can be better if you don't happen to find the log n implementation that you know exists, but can construct an m log n solution off the top of your head, which was the case for me. I couldn't for the life of me remember how the binary search over both sets worked, and admitted I would have to look it up in a book.

The m log n solution is to just iterate over the smaller of the two arrays, updating a median pointer that you start with as you decide if the element you're inserting into the set causes the median index to move up or down. So, if you go with the less efficient implementation, you've suddenly got to think about whether to merge and take the median, or pretend you've merged and count the offset to the median based on the relationship of n and m.

The whole "should you do the tests or not" was more a discussion of which infinity was larger, the one where the sets overlap or the one where they don't. It was just an excuse to remember how to count big things.

Off the top of my head I'm coming up with a cross-binary search of sorts. Two searches, halve the problem space, repeat.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    seabass wrote:

Off the top of my head I'm coming up with a cross-binary search of sorts. Two searches, halve the problem space, repeat.

Yeah, that's the answer. I just totally stone walled on it when I went to remember how to do it. It's funny because we asked the exact same question on our algorithms final, and I made the key for that without much trouble.

• Options
    seabass wrote:
    seabass wrote:

Yeah, that's the answer. I just totally stone walled on it when I went to remember how to do it. It's funny because we asked the exact same question on our algorithms final, and I made the key for that without much trouble.

Yay!

I haven't really thought about this one before so glad my instincts work.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    FYI for any PAdev users:

Just updated a huge number of packages, mainly developer ones (impacting Mono, Ruby, XML/SSL libraries, etc.)

Looks like there was a security fix that impacted a lot of things.

See anything funny or broken let me know.

OrokosPA.png
This discussion has been closed.