As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SELECT * FROM posts WHERE tid = 'PA PROGRAMMING THREAD'

• Options
    DekabalDekabal Registered User regular
    Im trying to pick a book to learn about java game programming. I was wondering which one you would recommend from these two:

1. Killer Game Programming in Java (amazon.com/Killer-Game-Programming-Andrew-Davison/dp/0596007302/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335227567&sr=8-1)

2. Developing Games in Java (amazon.com/Developing-Games-Java-David-Brackeen/dp/1592730051/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1335227567&sr=8-3)

Any other books or websites you guys could suggest would be great as well.

• Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    Dekabal wrote: »
    Im trying to pick a book to learn about java game programming. I was wondering which one you would recommend from these two:

1. Killer Game Programming in Java (amazon.com/Killer-Game-Programming-Andrew-Davison/dp/0596007302/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335227567&sr=8-1)

2. Developing Games in Java (amazon.com/Developing-Games-Java-David-Brackeen/dp/1592730051/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1335227567&sr=8-3)

pygame. stop the java insanity.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Yeah... Java may not be the worst language to write a game with, but it's probably close

• Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Does anyone knows if the issues with the 64 bit version of the Eclipse CDT are fixed? I recall that last year the general consensus was to just use the 32 bit version.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Holy crap. It's like 90 degrees in this room. So I turned on the "air"... They're just box fans that were placed instead of ceiling tiles. And they aren't working.

• Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dekabal wrote: »

People are right, there are easier langauges to get started making games. But if you want to learn JAVA specifically, both books seem to get great reviews, so you can't go wrong. If you want to jump right into game development and not have to worry about the minute details, you can also check out the PlayN frame work. Its free, and you can get a game going pretty quick. And with small code changes it'll work for PC, Web, Android and a few others. I think its still in ALPHA, but its pretty powerful. I think Rovio translated Angry Birds to it in a few days.

Good luck!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Yeah... Java may not be the worst language to write a game with, but it's probably close

Eh. You have quick, reasonable access to loading images and capturing key strokes. I dislike java as much as the next guy, but it's far from the worst language to start writing a game in. Hell, for your first game C is probably a worse choice, since you have to pick a library to handle key strokes and getting a drawing context, and it's pretty easy to pick a poor one.

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    Ooooo thanks for the PlayN link. I may tinker with it tonight or tomorrow.

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    You should see my Erlang sidescrolling platformer. Every pixel is a process.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    hah apparently for mono touch you need to do it on a mac. Well shit thought I could do this on windows.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    jackal wrote: »
    You should see my Erlang sidescrolling platformer. Every pixel is a process.

We did a vscroller shootem up after I got kidney stones in OCaml. It was sort of like fantastic voyage. Also, it was horrible in that OCaml's SDL support is not really all that good.

• Options
    Like the original one?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Speaking of every pixel is a process, have you guys seen the Prince of Persia source code?

That is a hell of a thing.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Time traveling wooooooo

• Options
  • Options
    Hahaha wow, I don't think I could handle looking at more than one file of that.

• Options
    I have seen into the past

and the past is 80,000 lines of esoteric assembly code

• Options
    I went into the future, you went into the past, crazy happening errywhere.

Also monotouch isn't even worth the effort to be honest. Maybe if it had an integrated UI it would be, but it doesn't, and it's painful to navigate or modify things.

• Options
    seabass wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »

Eh. You have quick, reasonable access to loading images and capturing key strokes. I dislike java as much as the next guy, but it's far from the worst language to start writing a game in. Hell, for your first game C is probably a worse choice, since you have to pick a library to handle key strokes and getting a drawing context, and it's pretty easy to pick a poor one.

you're definition of "reasonable access" needs some work. as was said, java might not be THE worst platform to base a game on, but its close.

• Options
    Pretty close. Capturing keystrokes and loading images is the easy part.

• Options
    If my choices for making a game came down to C, C++ and Java, and the requirement was only that it was playable and didn't require high end graphics, I'd take Java all the time.

There's something to be said for sidestepping all of the headaches of things such as keyboard/mouse input libs.

• Options
    If "It needs to be portable" then Java wins there, hands down. If it's "it needs to work" it would probably take an equal amount of time, or really close, to do it in C\C++ and Java.

Really I'd take C# over all of them because Java :rotate:

• Options
    Does a tabbed pane render a jtable differently? I have a table that I just place into a regular panel and it displays correctly, but when I copy/paste that code into a jtabbedpane panel then the headers don't show up any more. Everything else seems to to be working, but, of course, JTables are giving me issues.

• Options
    Welp. I screwed up. I was adding the Table to the JTabbedPane scene, and not the JScrollPane. Sigh...

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Welp. I screwed up. I was adding the Table to the JTabbedPane scene, and not the JScrollPane. Sigh...

Sounds like a pain.

I feel like you need a crib sheet to keep the java UI elements straight. They've all got pretty similar names, especially if they are at all related.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Java and UI shouldn't be in the same sentence really.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options

Sounds like a pain.

I feel like you need a crib sheet to keep the java UI elements straight. They've all got pretty similar names, especially if they are at all related.

Yeah GUI design in Java is a nightmare.

• Options

Sounds like a pain.

FTFY

• Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular

Sounds like a pain.

SWT, AWT, and Swing just suck complete and total ass. I love designing GUIs in GWT. Shockingly, it looks pretty, does what it tells you to and is easy to understand. SHOCKING!!!!! But otherwise, yeah, GUIs in JAVA blow.

• Options
    Finally scheduled an appointment with my family doctor for my migraines. I've been having them non stop for the past few days. Today at work I'm wearing my sunglasses because the light hurts.

• Options
    Finally scheduled an appointment with my family doctor for my migraines. I've been having them non stop for the past few days. Today at work I'm wearing my sunglasses because the light hurts.

mang, i feel for ya honky. i've had to pull the sunglasses at work thing before. if you have to struggle through the day:
    * headphones listening to non-vocal music
    * Tylenol and one of the NSAIDs (aspirin, ibu, naproxen) can be taken together. don't mix the NSAIDs, and don't take more tylenol than you should.
    * caffeine can help a lot, but there is significant risk of rebound headaches, but if you can delay that rebound until you're in a cool dark, quiet place, you can make it through the day. If you absolutely must be functional, a pot of coffee will get you through usually.

• Options
    Close your eyes and long deep breaths. If you have sufficient focus and can not think about the pain but rather focus on other sensations like your fingers touching a keyboard or something. These are things I've done in the past with migraines.

I'm betting honky's is stress related though.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Close your eyes and long deep breaths. If you have sufficient focus and can not think about the pain but rather focus on other sensations like your fingers touching a keyboard or something. These are things I've done in the past with migraines.

i'm betting its stress related though, and what you describe is basically meditation for pain management, and it does work, its kindof hard to pull off when your heads pounding though.

that being said, a migraine is a migraine, and you need to seek medical attention.

• Options
    It is sufficiently hard to pull off even when it's just a normal headache.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Hola, thread I've never been in before!

I'm venturing into programming for the first time in a long time, investigating Corona & Lua to try my hand at iOS development. My previous "experience" involves dabbling in QBasic in high school and taking a Fortran class circa 1998.

I'm sure I'm going to have plenty of actual Lua questions in the near future, but at the moment I'm confused about how to get my apps on my iPhone for testing, rather than just running them on the Corona simulator. I registered as an Apple developer, but as I try to create a build of my program I'm running into the step of creating and installing a signing certificate and I'm at a loss as to what I'm supposed to do. The internet tutorials I'm finding seem to be out of date or otherwise not matching with what I'm seeing on my screen.

• Options

This sounds like the support group in Fight Club. :P

I don't really FEEL stressed, but I could be. Lots of things creeping up. Been listening to music and www.rainymood.com all day. The glasses are helping and no one has made fun of me yet. :P

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Okay, so new rails question: I got the URL pathing thing to work, I got it to query the database and get the course list for a particular major, thus generating a form. Should I be building a course set model to represent the user's choices, and fill that up? (When I worked with forms in ColdFusion I was passing data to a "form action" page where it processed form input.)

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options

This sounds like the support group in Fight Club. :P

I don't really FEEL stressed, but I could be. Lots of things creeping up. Been listening to music and www.rainymood.com all day. The glasses are helping and no one has made fun of me yet. :P

Hah migraines happen mostly because of our line of work, it's a super stressful field. Plus staring at computer screens all days can fuck with your eyes if you don't blink frequently enough (people who look at computer screens often go 5xs longer before they blink for instance).

Meditation and mood music are powerful. I find classical music to be very good because I can focus on it.

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Sounds like a pain.

I like this version better...

Edit for hitting Post instead of Preview:

Now that I've done a few internal utilities in wxPython, I've found it has given me the least trouble I've ever had putting a UI together. Most of the items look and work as I'd expect and a quick Google has solved any issues I've had fairly quickly. The only problems I've had were with some of the simpler sizers not working like the documentation suggests.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Okay, so new rails question: I got the URL pathing thing to work, I got it to query the database and get the course list for a particular major, thus generating a form. Should I be building a course set model to represent the user's choices, and fill that up? (When I worked with forms in ColdFusion I was passing data to a "form action" page where it processed form input.)

Are you going to be persisting those course sets to the database? Or is it just state data at runtime?

If it's the former, yes, you'll want a full model, because that's how ActiveRecord stores things. If it's the latter, you COULD use a disconnected model (look it up), or you could just use a basic helper class that you stick an instance of in the session and reference from your view.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
This discussion has been closed.