As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SELECT * FROM posts WHERE tid = 'PA PROGRAMMING THREAD'

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I'm running:

Intel Core i7-2600 CPU (2x 3.4Ghz)
    8GB RAM
    Windows 7 64-bit
    300GB HDD

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    AMD Phenom Quad-Core (which is actually a dual core because there was a problem with the chip I guess?)
    8.00 GB

I do have two SSDs though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Our machines are from Dell. :-/ We could build good ones for cheap. We even have a dedicated Hardware team!

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    To be fair, I've heard Dell's support for corporate accounts is really, really good.

• Options
    I wanna put an Easter Egg into this program. Would that be wrong?

• Options
    As long as it's not naming a function "FeministWhore" I don't see the problem...

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I worked at a place that had Dell support

The computer stopped booting

guy was out in a truck the next day, replaced basically the entire guts of the computer in 30 minutes, no charge, then rode off into the sunset

those little dinky POS computers they have are just one big chunk of motherboard/cpu/ram fused together. they don't even bother with taking one particular piece out. they just rip the whole thing out and slap in a new one

Jasconius on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I have... a core 2 duo at work! Not that I need anything powerful

Certainly wish I had more than 160GB of disk space though!

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Yeah dell's business support is amazing.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    We had Dells in our office for a while. On the upside, they were the most stable machines we had, which was really important in the pre/early XP era. On the down side, if you blew a proprietary part, that machine was dead until a new part showed up in the courier.

We're back to using off the rack PCs again, but I haven't felt I had an issue with lack of power in years.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    My main development machine is a Core i5-2500k with 16GB of RAM and an SSD....at home.

What do I have at work? Irrelevant, because we develop in VM's hosted on a farm.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    My main development machine is a Core i5-2500k with 16GB of RAM and an SSD....at home.

What do I have at work? Irrelevant, because we develop in VM's hosted on a farm.

my company does this too and I don't really enjoy it

i don't have to use them, but others do

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Plugging my webgame once more, first iteration will be starting on the 30th.

Putting up the game I made for a previous Phalla game, with a standalone scenario and going to just let the PA community decide how that goes.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    I have not read anything about it but the screenshots have left me aroused.

• Options
    It is sexy looking but I have no concept of what it really is. Never really understood phallas as a whole, I mean I understand the basic premise.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    My development machine is the Dell Studio 17 I got a couple years ago. First gen i7, w/ 6 GB RAM (I think...it's been a while since I've looked at the specs), 500 GB HDD. Windows 7, with VirtualBoxed Linux Mint for PHP stuff.

It handles Visual Studio just fine, but is a bit slow with the VM. I get some noticeable lag running PhpStorm. But, it's doable.

I've found that Dell's mid-tier/Studio laptops are pretty good. My family has three of them (myself, my mom, my sister-in-law), and they've all been fine since day one. Inspirons seem to be complete steaming piles, though.

For shits and giggles, my/the family desktop is a Gateway (I know, I know) from 2007/08. It was originally a Vista machine, but it's been upgraded to Windows 7 as well. It's an Intel Core2 (2.40 GHz). 3 GB RAM. 500 GB HDD. Still going strong. It's what I use PhotoShop on.

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    I dev at work on a 2.4Ghz Core i5 w/8GB ram laptop running Win7, but I'm working in a linux VM on there. We are moving to doing all of our dev work on hosted VM's in the very near future. I'm not a huge fan of it, but it does make it so that we can make our dev environment match the live environment exactly which I'm all for. I've had too many weird issues where it worked fine on 3 different dev machine configs but not the staging system.

• Options
    Infidel wrote: »

Putting up the game I made for a previous Phalla game, with a standalone scenario and going to just let the PA community decide how that goes.

This looks awesome but I have zero concept or understanding of what a phalla is

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    It is sexy looking but I have no concept of what it really is. Never really understood phallas as a whole, I mean I understand the basic premise.
    Jasconius wrote: »

This looks awesome but I have zero concept or understanding of what a phalla is

Which is fine because what we are playing is what is left after we strip the phalla.

The concise version is you're a hacker on the grid, you have programs and hacking abilities, you're on a team fighting for control of systems. (At least for the current scenario.)

It's sort turn-based in that you have limited actions per cycle, but you schedule things so it is not necessary that you camp the thing or login immediately after midnight.

Things operate in 10 minute Slices, so if you set an action now for 8:30pm later tonight, it happens then if it can. It might run for four hours, say. Moves are limited by a cooldown, you move and you can't move again (typically) for X hours.

The goal is to control systems like you would continents in Risk the boardgame, and you use that client to play.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    You can queue moves?

• Options
    I could try playing

but I would not guarantee I would be competent at all

• Options
    You can queue moves?

Everything is queued to some degree. (Since pretty much nothing happens NOW but at the earliest "next time we reach a 10 minute mark")

You queue a move (destination node is highlighted to show such) and when the move timer is ready you move. It resets and you can set a new destination that will occur when it is off cooldown again.

In the last version, move cooldown was 6 hours, so if you checked in twice a day for a few minutes you could take care of business. The way actions proper work you can setup a full days schedule at midnight and then not log in again.

Babysitting is definitely not necessary and the game was designed to not require it. Someone that is more active can respond better to things of course but you can be fully active just checking in once per day.

We had 54 players for the Phalla game jump in and play this without anything more than what I have copy/pasted to the new thread on it. Had pretty much no issues and people mostly kept up with activity no problem. I expect that this time around players will be more involved in the crunchy bits, since that is the entirety of the game this time around (no PA thread where people point fingers at each other and voice suspicions).

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    That's pretty neat. Sort of like those web games where you could play but if you got uninvolved it wasn't a big thing like it would be for a phalla. If I'm following you right.

• Options
    That's pretty neat. Sort of like those web games where you could play but if you got uninvolved it wasn't a big thing like it would be for a phalla. If I'm following you right.

You only have yourself (and your team) to let down! :rotate:

It's all a wash since the odds are the super hardcore and the casuals will be distributed on all sides.

People can be replaced if they can't play and we have replacements.

This scenario is equal size teams, so say three teams of 10 it can work fine so long as we sub in to keep people at 10.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Guy at work was supposed to release his product months ago. Finally gets to the home stretch... and submits it to End User Testing. Three weeks later he is still trying to fix bugs that were found. He said it would be released by 3pm... It's going on 4, so he said end of day. But at this point it's a lost cause.

• Options
    I've been writing an MMO baed on Canvas and Websockets very sporadically

I have movement down, and parts of combat

I need to get my servers all set up though on my new computer so I can keep chugging on it

• Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular

You only have yourself (and your team) to let down! :rotate:

It's all a wash since the odds are the super hardcore and the casuals will be distributed on all sides.

People can be replaced if they can't play and we have replacements.

This scenario is equal size teams, so say three teams of 10 it can work fine so long as we sub in to keep people at 10.

I'm in! How did I miss it?

I should visit the channel more often.

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    edited April 2012

my company does this too and I don't really enjoy it

i don't have to use them, but others do

It sucks, beyond belief. The farm is completely overloaded, they have way too many people on it. They are unwilling to add more hardware to compensate, because of "lulzbudget", and our IT ops department is shady as hell, and is completely unwilling to man up and admit they made a mistake in the initial spec out of the farm. Instead it's developments fault because we "run too much stuff", and it's our "Visual Studio plugins causing it". It's a very "us" vs, "them" thing, and unfortunately the head of ops happens to be very buddy buddy with the head of our org overall. It's stupid and ridiculous, but they pay me good and I like my co-workers...so I deal, for now.

What's even more anger inducing is that we have brand new Core i5's (first gen) under our desks that are nothing more than glorified e-mail machines, that are hooked in to the primary user domain. We then RDP from those boxes in to our shitty VM's on a different domain. We've begged, pleaded, with them to let us hook the physical boxes in to the dev domain, and just give us a VM in the primary domain for checking e-mail...but nope.

Here's another part that will blow your mind: They don't use imaging of any kind. One of the primary benefits of a virtual farm, and they don't even use it. Need a new dev box? You get a raw windows install and you get to install everything. We've asked multiple times to get images of a basic dev box done, and we're told "We don't have the infrastructure for that".

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Wow. I use VMWare server and I gotta admit the best thing is being able to go "clone" after an install and then using that as a base provision.

• Options
    Wow. I use VMWare server and I gotta admit the best thing is being able to go "clone" after an install and then using that as a base provision.

Yep, we use VMWare to...they do no cloning or imaging. It's mind numbingly dumb, but remember, our ops team is in "do no wrong" land because their manager is attached to the big bosses butt lip first.

• Options
    That sounds like basically the worst IT crew ever.

I really hate slow VM's, but those sound exceptionally slow.

I don't know what happened that caused this ridiculous bifurcation of IT and programming in corporate america... but it needs to die

• Options
    speaking of slow VM's

Azure Emulator on Windows 7 on VMWare on Mac OS X has brought my Core I7 to its knees several times today

total and complete system freeze

VMWare Fusion seems deeply, deeply flawed

• Options
    ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    funny you all are mentioning specs -- I need to buy new RAM for the guys on my team, apparently all of our machines only have 2 gb of RAM. I never really noticed even with 3 studios, 2 mgmt studios, notepad++, fiddler, soapui, rdp's, etc open... but apparently when they boot up one virtual pc all hell breaks loose

• Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    At home I have a triple screen desktop and I've been using more than 1 monitor for 10+ years.
    At work I have.... I don't care what it is. It has one screen, which is at the very least a display short from being remotely useful.

zeeny on
  • Options
    That sounds like basically the worst IT crew ever.

I really hate slow VM's, but those sound exceptionally slow.

I don't know what happened that caused this ridiculous bifurcation of IT and programming in corporate america... but it needs to die

I think it's the fact that developers tend to demand a level of performance and support that other users don't. We also tend to know almost everything they do, and I think they find it threatening. Plus we tend to make more than they do. It's a gorilla chest beating thing. They have this one sliver of power over us, and they run with it.

• Options
    I'm the Sys Admin for my company and we don't have an imaging software either. We're trying to get some licenses.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm the Sys Admin for my company and we don't have an imaging software either. We're trying to get some licenses.

We're talking about VMWare server, which has a built in imaging system. They have no excuse, and certainly not "We don't have Ghost!".

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    My work development machines are:

Unix: Xeon 4core at 2.8GHz with 6gb memory, 512GB OCZ pci-e revodrive and 512GB secondary drive
    Windows: i7 4core at 2.8GHz with 8gb memory, dual 512GB platter drive
    OSX: Core 2 Duo 2.1GHz 15 inch mac book pro from 2007.

These are all hooked up to a single 30 inch dell display using a 4 port dual display kvm. I am currently planning on buying
    my fourth development machine in 4 months, which should be a hexacore xeon with a crazy amount of memory.

Ethea on
  • Options
    I forgot to mention, the one thing my work does do extremely well is monitors. I have a 27" and a 24", and we have a couple of 30" that get passed around the team as the people who have them move on to other positions. No developer here has less than two displays.

• Options
    I forgot to mention, the one thing my work does do extremely well is monitors. I have a 27" and a 24", and we have a couple of 30" that get passed around the team as the people who have them move on to other positions. No developer here has less than two displays.

That, at least, is a wonderful thing.

I have two 17"s at work which is just... ugh. I have a 19" that I brought out of storage to hook up to my MBA, but it's just not enough.

At home I have a 27" widescreen for my MBA that barely gets used, but I just can't bear to bring it into the office...

This discussion has been closed.