As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Call of Duty] BLOPS2 The Game With No Last Stand Or Dead Man's Hand

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Not really.

If the universe is the most engrossing part of the game then it is fine for that to be a the forefront. You see that with a lot more games these days, though they are usually smaller titles.

But for a game where you will spend the majority of your time with the gameplay...yeah, gameplay should be important.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    What Bowling said is that he's making a Michael Bay first-person shooter titled Duty Calls.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Not really.

If the universe is the most engrossing part of the game then it is fine for that to be a the forefront. You see that with a lot more games these days, though they are usually smaller titles.

But for a game where you will spend the majority of your time with the gameplay...yeah, gameplay should be important.

A game with the universe set first and foremost is okay if you're trying to tell a narrative in a short timespan or with gameplay as a secondary to the story or cutscenes (I.E. Metal Gear Solid to an extent, Heavy Rain, etc.)

Multiplayer FPSes do not share those characteristics. The single player is going to take up maybe 10 hours, but if you want your customers to continue playing the game or buying DLC, your game has to be good at a mechanical level. I don't care if your story is as involved as Gravity's Rainbow if when I boot up the multi, I have a 400 ping and there are rapid-fire Redeemers being slammed into my orifices.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Counterstrike went pretty much only for game mechanics and we see how well that worked out.

You can pump out creative, pretty shit all day long. But in the end, it's still shit.

Isn't that based on the Half-life game? I mean, credit where credit's due, but wasn't that just a mod at the beginning?

And has he said ANYTHING about making a FPS?

belligerent on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Yes. No.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I haven't played MW3 in well over a week. I feel like I should have lost some weight, or I should be able to breath better. Quitting a video game addiction isn't nearly as healthy for you as eating healthy or quitting smoking. Not that I've quit, I just have better things to play right now.

Of course, I can't wait for the hype train to start boarding on May 1st.

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Counterstrike went pretty much only for game mechanics and we see how well that worked out.

You can pump out creative, pretty shit all day long. But in the end, it's still shit.

Isn't that based on the Half-life game? I mean, credit where credit's due, but wasn't that just a mod at the beginning?

Aren't MW2/3 based on the MW1 game?

More than based.

You're right in that he hasn't announced what he's working on.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    mw2/3 are not mods of mw1 scat.

stop that.

• Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular

Bioshock is one of my favourite games and its certainly not for the gameplay.

(Even though I still found it fun)

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Domhnall wrote: »

Imagine how bad it would have been with shitty mechanics though. Sure. The story would still have been amazing, but a lot of people wouldn't find that out on their own if they had to deal with crap gameplay.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    Jurgen_Jurgen_ FinlandRegistered User regular
    Another free weekend of MW3 on Steam starts tomorrow ? Didn't it just have one ? D:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Jurgen_ wrote: »
    Another free weekend of MW3 on Steam starts tomorrow ? Didn't it just have one ? D:

Its because holi is about to have a jew-lite in a week or two.

2 Weeks and counting I guess you could say its the...

iRevert on
  • Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    I opened village yesterday with a Quad on B from capping A, I then picked up a double with my pred and had an Attack chopper up within the first 30 seconds of the game. Pavelow came about 30 seconds after that. It was a good day.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    jjae2123 wrote: »
    I opened village yesterday with a Quad on B from capping A, I then picked up a double with my pred and had an Attack chopper up within the first 30 seconds of the game. Pavelow came about 30 seconds after that. It was a good day.

Did the match end shortly thereafter cause the host ragequit?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

which is based on Quakeworld, which is based on Quake 1. Isn't this game fun? So that's right, Call of Duty largely has the same lineage as Half-Life.
    spoiled for big
    Quake_-_family_tree.svg

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Frostbite 2.

heh

But no forreals Call of Duty is the same shit, down to the engine, every year. Second Chance is probably a passive default perk for BLOPS2. If they weren't being forced to basically do minuscule UI changes, new maps, and new weapon skins of the same weapons every year, they could probably put out an awesome game.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Goddamn it Mercy

• Options
    GccPoseidonGccPoseidon Registered User regular
    Did you guys prestige again? :lol:

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Yessir

• Options
    Also; OG owns me five bucks.

• Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    iRevert wrote: »
    Goddamn it Mercy

:lol:

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    You wait in two weeks you'll want to get on and play and then when you do you'll remember that you prestiged and your going to hate your life.
    I mean you'll hate it even more because you'll be 2 weeks sober and video game free with someone nagging you about all your bad habits all the time.

• Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Domhnall wrote: »

Imagine how bad it would have been with shitty mechanics though. Sure. The story would still have been amazing, but a lot of people wouldn't find that out on their own if they had to deal with crap gameplay.

Deadly Premonition is also one of my favourite games ever. I will happily concede though that thats pretty much one-in-a-every-single-game-I've-played.

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Going to give this a try on the free weekend. Honestly, I have been content with Battlefield games for so long that I have not played a COD game since 4. @0Replace4Displace says I am pretty good at Battlefield so I figure I should be able to do well at MW3.

Edit: And I had been playing Blacklight Retribution which is basically a COD clone.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Going to give this a try on the free weekend. Honestly, I have been content with Battlefield games for so long that I have not played a COD game since 4. @0Replace4Displace says I am pretty good at Battlefield so I figure I should be able to do well at MW3.

Edit: And I had been playing Blacklight Retribution which is basically a COD clone.

Brush up on your slurs and vulgar vocabulary, you'll need it in COD

• Options
    I hate to come into your thread and shit on your game after only playing it for an evening, but good god. MW3 has some fucking issues.

I was pulling my hair out for a while just trying to find the server browser. It turns out you have to enable it form the settings menu. That only lead to more problems trying to find a good server. The only servers that were not full and had people playing had ridiculous rules or mods. First server I joined was a crouch server. People were actually yelling at me for walking and sprinting, even outside of combat. The next 2 servers I tried were running something called infected. That was just no fun at all. I tried p2p for a while, but the first match I joined, the host left halfway though. I was dropped during the migration. I got into another game a little while later with @0Replace4Displace. Literally the first time he plays he is MVP. By the time he had stopped playing, he was already 5 levels higher than me.

A few more things I noticed. There is almost no ROF cap on the pistols or semi-autos. This can lead to hilarious situations with your pistol where it has a higher DPS output than your primary.

• Options
    Yeah......

you shouldn't play CoD on a PC.

Don't know what you were thinking, honestly.

• Options
    Also; you think pistols are stupid?

Someones never heard of FMG9's

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    I'll skip the PC nonsense that Burtletoy has already covered, and move on to
    That_Guy wrote: »
    A few more things I noticed. There is almost no ROF cap on the pistols or semi-autos. This can lead to hilarious situations with your pistol where it has a higher DPS output than your primary.

This one I agree with and simply don't understand why it still seems to be the case with MW3.
    I understand that there's no point modding your controller if it doesn't give you an edge, but somehow that still don't seem like enough of a justification for not putting some kind of cap on how quickly ppl can pull the trigger.
    Enlightenment, please.

• Options
    RoF caps are an on-n-off things in this series.

Some games have them, some don't.

No idea what the decision making process is for it. Or, really, what the decision making process is for anything in these games. Why the fuck does akimbo, the best attachment, unlock for Machine Pistols at, like, 15 kills, but Extended Mags for Shotguns (only attachment worth using) unlocks after a few hundred? Why is kick, arguably the best proficiency for every-single-gun the first unlock for ARs/LMGs/SMGs/Snipers but Damage/Range, again the only thing worth using on shotguns, are the very last unlocks?

Shit be wack.

• Options
    I have close to 300 hours into BF3. I have to admit that I am getting a little antsy for a new shooter to play. The beta for Planetside 2 is still, probably, a couple of months away. I am having a great deal of trouble getting into tribes and Blacklight is shit.

If my 360 had not RROD'd on me, I would consider getting COD and one of those XIM3.

• Options
    Why can akimbo FMG9s kill a juggernaut in 2 seconds?

Why does having a scorpian secondary make you sprint longer?

Why is the EMP a support streak?

Why is it harder to kill a recon drone than every other killstreak in the game?

Why is Overkill a perk?

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    You seemed pretty positive about Blacklight not too long ago, did the full release change things too much from the beta?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    You seemed pretty positive about Blacklight not too long ago, did the full release change things too much from the beta?

If you don't play every day, the unlock system will bite you right in the dick. You unlock things for 1 day, 7 days, or permanently. One day is affordable, but useless if you don't play every day. I kept getting into a situation where I would not play for a couple of days, have no money to get my unlocks back and have to play for 4 maps before I can get just my weapon unlocks back. By the time I had enough money to get my armor and throwies back, I was sick of playing. 8v8 limits the amount of fun I can have, too. Hardsuites are still fun as hell and people still think they are not slow, turning deathtraps. Stealing a hardsuit with a flame thrower one one of my favorite things to do. Also, the AP rockets do a shit ton of damage.

If they would remove the unlock timer, or make it game time, not real world time, it would be more enjoyable. The current unlock system ruins the game.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Played Call of Duty 4 all afternoon. Goddamn, that game is great. I don't even mind Stopping Power, to be honest, as long as Juggernaut's around to counter it (SP basically allows you to kill with 1 less bullet, and Juggy basically allows you to survive 1 more). Everyone and their mother uses Stopping Power, so when you run with Juggernaut, it's essentially a straight-up fight. My only real complaint is that, because the M40A3 is so overused, that I feel like I'm basically required to use Juggernaut in order to do anything at all. Seriously, though: something like 95% of all players use that gun. Every game I play, all I can hear is the sound of that fucking gun going off, over and over and over again.

And oh my God, do they get pissed when they're killed by Juggernauts.

• Options
    You mean the problem was never Stopping Power?

Wow. It's kinda like someone has been saying that for years.

• Options
    I never said that it was a balancing issue, though, Brutle. The two perks aren't necessarily an issue, except that they're so much more appealing than every other option available. The decision to remove them entirely was good, I think, because it opened up so many more playstyles. Call of Duty 4 is fantastic, but the only two perks that matter are Stopping Power and Juggernaut. We've got Ghosts now, and Hardliners, Scavengers, etc, and they're all good at different things. That's a lot better, I think, than just having "Stopping Power guy" and "Juggernaut guy".

But I seriously wouldn't mind if they came back at this point. So long as they both came back. I don't think that's the best move, personally, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

• Options
    Personally, I'd love to see the series scaled back tremendously. In hindsight, it's easy to see that at least part of the reason why Call of Duty 4 was so beloved was because of its simplicity: we had only a handful of weapons in each category, and each one played a little differently; secondaries were essentially limited to pistols; perks didn't evolve or progress; attachment options were basically just Red Dot, Suppressor, ACOG; killstreaks stacked, but were limited to UAV (3), Airstrike (5), Attack Helicopter (7). The formula was simple and elegant.

It's great that developers want to take their games up "to the next level", but it's pretty plain to see that it's just a little out of hand at this point. It's so much harder to balance weapons when you can have attachments like Akimbo, Rapid Fire, Thermal Scopes, attached Motion Sensors, etc. It's so much more difficult, I would imagine, to balance combat when players can have a sluggish, high-powered weapon as a primary, and two rapid-fire death machines as secondaries. It's just a lot more complicated now. I think a certain amount of that is great -I love the level of customization we enjoy now- but I also think it's just way, way too much. In my opinion, the series would be well-served by scaling it back to a level similar to what we saw in Call of Duty 4.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Ducks seriously you need to be able to make your points with less verbiage.

tl;dr, everyone wants Call of Duty 4 back with new guns and maps.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I'm sorry, but I don't get the new thread title. Are Brutle and I bickering?

He's only posted once, and he had a good point.

I basically just said I had fun playing Call of Duty 4 today, and then explained why I think it's a great game.

Where's the bickering?

milk ducks on