As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Avengers: AvX CHAMPIONS. "wedabes" declares Captain America.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I wonder, with the increased emphasis on the Avengers and X-Men working together, whether Marvel is planning to reduce emphasis on anti-mutant hate in the Marvel Universe. It would kind of make sense to make it less angry mobs and more the kind of subtle racism/sexism that exists now in our world.

The MTV version of these breaks say the first threat the Uncanny Avengers will be fighting is an anti-mutant Red Skull. So, probably not.

well, shit, it's not like A) the red skull is a paragon of racial harmony or B) people always react well to people making changes for the better without, you know, anyone's input

and given that AvX isn't even over yet it's entirely possible that some of the good things they've done manage to stay in place, but they do other things later on that cause people to turn on them

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    haha, man

how many times has the Red Skull cheated death now? it's got to be like five or six at least.

Sin changed her name to Red Skull, so the blurb could be referring to her.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    non - scanned image is available now
    1341343969.jpg

Spider-Man has some weird eyelids?

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Looking at this, I feel like Marvel (or just Quesada) learned all the wrong lessons from the DC reboot.

Which is to say, not everything needs to look super serious and have a bunch of seams and ribbing.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yep, definitely getting a Mile Morales vibe from Spidey's costume.

Maybe that wasn't such a throway line in Spider-Men 2.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    That is totally a new Spider-Man costume. Streamlined.

I'm hoping some of the others look better when done by their new art teams. Cap in particular. His costume needed some tweaks, but they've made it too complex.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Kyougu wrote: »

Reminds me of the Alex Ross movie costume.

And the tech-Hulk tells me there'll be another personality switch there

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Nova clearly has a habit of trapping his fingers in doors

also I'm sorry but I can't look at Nick Fury Jr and just find the whole thing ridiculous

the fact that he isn't really that black he was burned black by an explosion

guys ultimate nick is ultimate nick, and regular nick isn't

feels a little weird

• Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    I'm not really 100% with the new designs on some of them, but the descriptions of the books all sound great.

Probably helps that I'm a huge fan of the classic X-Men, especially in the early stuff so I like the idea of them showing up again.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    Munch wrote: »
    Looking at this, I feel like Marvel (or just Quesada) learned all the wrong lessons from the DC reboot.

Which is to say, not everything needs to look super serious and have a bunch of seams and ribbing.

I agree. That said, I do think it's just Quesada. Don't think Marvel will lose it's fun side any time soon. Besides, they are doing fantastic right now, I like to give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Munch wrote: »

I agree. That said, I do think it's just Quesada. Don't think Marvel will lose it's fun side any time soon. Besides, they are doing fantastic right now, I like to give them the benefit of the doubt.

That's true, too.

I do like Quesada's art, overall, but he has a style that is very much him. People tend to look angry and harder than many other artists handle them. So some of these new outfits and designs might look better when handled by the actual series artists.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    UltimateInferno on

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Shouldn't Red Skull be thrilled about the existence of a genetically superior race of humans? Obviously Magneto would piss him off, but all the fit, Aryan mutants should seem like the fulfillment of his dream of a master race.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Red Skull is a racist

racism does not make rational sense

I wouldn't expect Red Skull to hold beliefs that are entirely logical

• Options
    Damn, can't wait for Avengers by Hickman! (Even though I'm still hurt he left Ultimates).

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Avengers will be published twice a month, and Hickman is currently planning to mix together longer five-to-six-issue story arcs with one-off stories that focus on individual characters. Hickman is mostly keeping mum about the lineup right now, but he revealed one teammate to whet our appetite. Kids, we’ve got six words for you: Shang-Chi, master of Kung Motherf—ing Fu.

tumblr_liw1imq2TV1qbx538.gif

And the EW article makes it seem like that's not the Uncanny Avengers team, it's just a "big players of Marvel NOW".

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    That whole interlinking one-off stories with wider arcs sounds very much like the whole F4 thing Hickman did where each issue you'd have a new crazy thing happen and the F4 would ride off to deal with it but it kept on spiraling into this much bigger storyline that all the little pieces were involved in.

If so, then fuck yes, because Hickman nailed that kind of storytelling

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Nova clearly has a habit of trapping his fingers in doors

also I'm sorry but I can't look at Nick Fury Jr and just find the whole thing ridiculous

the fact that he isn't really that black he was burned black by an explosion

yeah, that didn't happen. he was black before the explosion, dude.

• Options
    He was half black

his dad was white

but it did actually say in the mini that the explosion burns had darkened his skin

And the whole idea is a bit ridiculous beyond that

like anyone who reads comics actually gives a shit that ultimate nick is the one in the movies and not the one in the regular comics

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

Reminds me of the Alex Ross movie costume.

And the tech-Hulk tells me there'll be another personality switch there

Oh shit, it does! I know I was remembering it from somewhere

• Options
    He was half black

his dad was white

but it did actually say in the mini that the explosion burns had darkened his skin

No, he didn't.
    This is what he says about the burns:

battlescars6thegroup020.jpg

He says they scarred, not that they made him blacker.
    And the whole idea is a bit ridiculous beyond that

like anyone who reads comics actually gives a shit that ultimate nick is the one in the movies and not the one in the regular comics

Well yeah, but it wasn't done for the people who already read comics.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    And the EW article makes it seem like that's not the Uncanny Avengers team, it's just a "big players of Marvel NOW".

That makes more sense. So Cyclops is probably red now because his stepdad Magneto wears red. At least he's still alive after AvX but he could still be the baddie.

Thor's outfit though.....just does not make sense. It really looks like he took a page from old Superboy and just wanted to wear a black shirt. And he wanted to wear blue jeans but his dad was giving him a hard time about remembering his heritage so he has a hip corduroy kilt on over his old armor.

Cable seems to have his TO again, despite X-Sanction explicitly showing he's cured and all flesh and bone.

That little helmet has a SHIELD logo on it, so either floating head Nick Fury or Hank Pym has a creepy new ship.

• Options
    Yeah because so many people have started reading comics after the saw the Avengers

come on, dude

the numbers hardly shifted at all

people who wanted to read comics already read comics before they saw that movie

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    non - scanned image is available now
    1341343969.jpg

This looks kinda dumb, but I'm game

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    As far as I have heard, that isn't the team

it's just a group shot of peoplewho will be in the upcoming comics a lot

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    That really looks awful

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Yeah because so many people have started reading comics after the saw the Avengers

come on, dude

the numbers hardly shifted at all

people who wanted to read comics already read comics before they saw that movie

and yet comics sales in May just through Diamond were nearly 30% higher than they were a year ago, and over one million more issues were sold in May than were sold in April!

Avengers vs. X-Men #3 and #4 both sold almost 180k each in May, as opposed to Avengers vs. X-Men #2, which sold almost 160k in April.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Marvel has said it is not any of the specific teams, just a promo piece Quesada drew

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I was about to ask what the hell that was near Hulk but then I noticed it's right beside Nova so it must be Worldmind.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Did he have to give the drone angry eyebrows

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    If Bleeding Cool is to be believed (which they might as well on this since they called all three of these books a while back) John Cassady is drawing Uncanny Avengers, Opena is drawing Avengers, and Immonen is drawing ANXM

• Options
    OPENA IS DRAWING AVENGERS?!?

IMMONEN IS DRAWNING ANXM?

FUCK YEEESSSSSSS

• Options
    I wonder what the deal is with a Guardians relaunch

Rocket Raccoon is in that picture, and it sure seems like it's going to be happening soon

• Options
    I reckon we will see a Guardians book in the 25 new books they are releasing

almost certain of it

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I wonder what the deal is with a Guardians relaunch

Rocket Raccoon is in that picture, and it sure seems like it's going to be happening soon
    It'll happen as part of the NOW event for sure

Bendis will almost certainly be writing it and I'd expect it to be the Avengers Assemble squad so Star-Lord, Gamora, Rocket, Drax and Bug

maybe Groot

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Hopefully Noh-Varr will pop up there too seeing what happened to him in AvX.

• Options
    yeah that would be nice

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah I am sure he will, Bendis left him in such a perfect place for that and clearly likes the character

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I liked Thor's little waist cloak thingy but he really needs some red on there

• Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I was about to ask what the hell that was near Hulk but then I noticed it's right beside Nova so it must be Worldmind.

in the EW article, Quesada says "there's a reason why there's a floating robot near Hulk", so I'm guessing it has something to do with him and that armor he's wearing. maybe he's being sent into space again??

This discussion has been closed.