As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tokyo Jungle [PSN] - A shining new era / is tip-toeing nearer

• Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    Big cats are terrible assholes unless you're another apex predator, like a brown bear.

• Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    so, I think I may have hosed my game. I killed a boss beagle as a pomeranian, and then quit the game to go do something else. Turns out I can't buy the beagle unlock, nor does the quest show up for me anymore...

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    seabass wrote: »
    so, I think I may have hosed my game. I killed a boss beagle as a pomeranian, and then quit the game to go do something else. Turns out I can't buy the beagle unlock, nor does the quest show up for me anymore...

You unlock beagles with cats, not poms. Sometimes stuff that would normally be an unlockable-type moment as another animal will show up as just an event with whatever animal you're playing. Like sometimes a boss animal will show up, or you'll see a note that a pride of lions have set up somewhere.

Most animals only unlock one other type of animal, except for that first deer, which opens two vegetarian "tracks" of unlockables.

CowShark on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I haven't smiled this wide with a game in a long time. I'm just loving the whole attitude of this game.

Putting a sweater on my deer, the Chick Boss, the rabbit laughing at the Pom, the goddamn mating ritual.

This is like the Deadly Premonition of 2012. Except it's also a fun game.

• Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    What did you people do to me... I just bought this and downloaded all the free content (thank's PS+) but my goodness... this game sounds AMAZING.

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

You are a terrible person but it is forgiven because you like the game of the year.

• Options
    seabass wrote: »
    So, I think the power of the spawned in enemies increases as the years go by? I had my best even deer run ended by a velociraptor in the middle of the starting area.
    No, it was a velociraptor versus a deer. That only ends one way and it's not in a tea part with deer ascendant.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

You are a terrible person but it is forgiven because you like the game of the year.

The fun from DP comes from the story, characters, and music.

Not the actual mechanics of the game.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

The fun from DP comes from the story, characters, and music.

Not the actual mechanics of the game.

I disagree with shakeyfist.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    A panther attacked my pack of Pomeranians.

He killed four of my brothers, and I brought him down with my fifth in his last sliver of health.

I received a pair of headphones from his corpse.

Consider this my official endorsement of the game.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Just had a few co-op runs of the game with a friend. I wish I'd read this thread earlier because I was trying to use his assistance to make the Chick run easier. He was playing as a Beagle, but whenever we claimed territory, I noticed only his mates were popping up. Now I know about evolving into a Chicken, so that should make getting the Rabbit easier.

Then we had a few runs as same pets - unlocked the Retriever as Beagles, unlocked the Pig as Gazelles. Had the best run ever as a Gazelle. After he died and we ran out of Pet Revives, I continued playing and managed to get to year 70. Those S rank Challenges are MEAN. I was finally taken down in my 11th generation by about 8 lion cubs, 5 tigresses and 4 lions.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    I tried another Pom run to get the special stuff and I'm starting to hate the RNG placement of food and poison. I literally couldn't eat ANYTHING for YEARS because it would go purple the second it hit the ground. I had to survive on items.

Then I got killed by a horse.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I just don't feel like I am accomplishing anything in this game. I eat, I wander around, I kill things and/or get killed by things.

edit: Oh, then it spits out a number that I try to make higher than the number I got last time.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I just don't feel like I am accomplishing anything in this game. I eat, I wander around, I kill things and/or get killed by things.

edit: Oh, then it spits out a number that I try to make higher than the number I got last time.

You need to try to complete Challenges once they activate; that unlocks costumes and more animals to play as. You also need to find the Archives; they unlock the horribly boring Story missions but those unlock the ultimate animal to play.

Oh, and the number it spits out is actually the money you use to buy more characters, more character skins and replacement costume bits once you unlock those.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular

What were you expecting, exactly?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    Just had a few co-op runs of the game with a friend. I wish I'd read this thread earlier because I was trying to use his assistance to make the Chick run easier. He was playing as a Beagle, but whenever we claimed territory, I noticed only his mates were popping up. Now I know about evolving into a Chicken, so that should make getting the Rabbit easier.

Then we had a few runs as same pets - unlocked the Retriever as Beagles, unlocked the Pig as Gazelles. Had the best run ever as a Gazelle. After he died and we ran out of Pet Revives, I continued playing and managed to get to year 70. Those S rank Challenges are MEAN. I was finally taken down in my 11th generation by about 8 lion cubs, 5 tigresses and 4 lions.

Those Gazelles are mean mothers! Those kicks were packing such a wallop, shame the targeting got a little sketchy for me.

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options
    Yeah, targetting is weird. I'm almost wondering if different animals target at different distances.

Or if it's just really shitty.

• Options
    Tef wrote: »

You hate... high scores?

Guess I just came from the 80's.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    CowShark wrote: »
    Tef wrote: »

You hate... high scores?

Guess I just came from the 80's.
    I don't think he understands the concept of fun.

Unless you're not having fun. :(

just kidding. I feel the same way. here's what you can accomplish:
    step 1- survival: gather the 3 usb sticks to unlock a story chapter. side quest: unlock a new animal (you may have to play a new animal to do this)
    2- story: complete the story chapter to unlock the next 3 usb sticks in survival
    3- go to 1

side quest: check the ticket for random bosses. kill them to unlock their special item.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    So how does co-op work? Can you attack one another at any point? Say you're a team of a tiger and a deer. Does the deer become your emergency food supply once your hunger bar is gone?

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Your stories of this game are making me seriously consider buying a PS3. There are pretty much no other PS3 games I'm that interested in.

Is this Sony developed or do I have a hope in hell of a port?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Made by Sony. Might just have to live vicariously through this thread. I'm sure Let's Plays will pop up pretty soon.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    So how does co-op work? Can you attack one another at any point? Say you're a team of a tiger and a deer. Does the deer become your emergency food supply once your hunger bar is gone?

There's no friendly fire, and you can't eat your partner. For that matter, you can't eat the corpses of your fallen brothers and sisters, which weird as it may sound, kind of sucks when they're the only available food source as you look through panther territory for any scrap of something to eat.

Whoever is player 1 can force player 2 to follow them by moving "off-screen", but P2 can't do the same thing. The only time that doesn't work is when climbing inside or on top of buildings. You do eventually teleport your pack/P2 but it's frustrating to the second player briefly, especially when they're in the middle of trying to eat something.

Mating can't happen with your co-op. You have to find the mates available on the map and both of you can't use the same territory.

• Options
    Oh man, had a damn good Pom run this morning.
    Made it 80 years in, completed all challenges except for one A ranked "Clean Kill" challenge... So very close to getting that tuxedo. I managed to sneak a Prime mate after completing all the S challenges though, and now my Poms start with 72 attack power. Getting pretty tough, little guys!

Craziest event:
    Travelling west through Shibuya Station, there's a lone Diphlosaurus (meat eater with the helmet head) who chases me for a while. I manage to evade, hide out, and move on to Dogenzaka, where there are hundreds and hundreds of chickens. Total score for me, 'cause I'm at year 68ish, and food is generally very very dangerous for me to acquire, and I need 4000kcals for an S challenge. So I tear into the chickens, and there are chicken bodies everywhere, and I chase them down to the west end of the street eat some chickens, and then start chasing the pack east.

So they run into Shibuya Station, and there's that one lone dinosaur who starts helping me murder all these chickens. But the dinosaur has so many targets to choose from that he ain't notice me anymore. So I killed him. It took me like, 5 critical bites.

I killed a dinosaur with a Pomeranian. It really made me feel like the motherfucking king of the Tokyo jungle.

• Options
    best story ever you should tell that every christmas

I had a similar thing where Shibuya Store was loaded with chicks but it was right at the start of the run so it really din't do me any good. By the time I actually needed them they were all gone and the place was poisoned.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular

I'm sort of with you, I have played maybe 5 different times with the Pom and am at like 11th gen and still haven't been able to unlock another animal, it's getting boring, I always run out of food and then run into a mess of beasts in whatever area I head to next.

I expected to be unlocking more things at a good clip, this game sort of drip-feeds content and encourages constant grinding which really isn't my type of fun.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Cats were fairly easy to unlock with the Pom. I think they were unlocked on second try? Then unlocked the beagle on second try with the cats.

If you want to unlock other animals I believe you have to play other animals. The challenges have been pretty low tier (like E or so) and usually just involved defeating the animal you're unlocking.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Some of the time you don't even have to defeat them; just touch them.

I unlocked cats on my first Pom run; it was so easy I don;t even know how I did it.

But , again, if you feel like you aren't accomlishing anything then you need to start paying attention to Challenges and Events.

• Options
    There's no sense in playing the same animal over and over unless you need to unlock new clothing within the later tiers of that animal's challenges. I believe once you've done the first Pomeranian story (where he leaves the apt and needs to beat a few cats to find shelter), it's challenges change to offer all 4 "Pet" items as you complete the tiers. All pets also offer the Tuxedo clothing if you manage to clear all the challenges from E to S. Whether it then offers another premium item after that, I don't know. Haven't managed to do that yet.

Each animal offers a challenge to unlock a new animal, but once you've unlocked it, it doesn't get replaced. You have to then use the new animal to unlock another one. It does seem repetitive, but the unlocked animals at base stats are obviously stronger than the starters, so the gameplay does change as you deal with avoiding strong predators as pomeranians to rampaging through tiger territory as a tough rhino.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    Cats were fairly easy to unlock with the Pom. I think they were unlocked on second try? Then unlocked the beagle on second try with the cats.

If you want to unlock other animals I believe you have to play other animals. The challenges have been pretty low tier (like E or so) and usually just involved defeating the animal you're unlocking.

Or in the case of herbivores, just finding it (which is actually a bit of a tall order in Shibuya woods, stupid gazelle)

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    PsycohedPsycohed On a Fool's ErrandRegistered User regular
    One other note about co-op. After you mark a territory, the game only spawns a mate for one of the players. As far as I can tell, it seems to flip a coin on who gets to screw. I admit, I haven't done a ton of testing, but I wasn't able to discern a pattern. Sometimes one person would mate twice in a row, sometimes it would alternate. This had the unfortunate effect of making my co-op games constant mad dashes to not die of old age. Which, alas, didn't prove to be very fun.

One other problem we ran into was any time that P1 would bite or dash, the sudden jerk of the camera was very disorienting for P2. Not unplayable, of course, but certainly irksome.

Ultimately, I gave up on the multiplayer. Its a cool idea, but not being certain of who gets to mate and when just sucked all the fun out of it.

brig_banner.png
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    I haven't done any Story mode, just Survival. Is that the mode to unlock other creatures? There isn't anything to play in Story on my game besides the tutorial, which I did and no further chapters unlocked.

I'm following the challenges in Survival, it always leads me to Shibuya Shops afger i do the marking, mating, etc. with the Pom and it's danger-close in that sector non-stop.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Allforce wrote: »
    I haven't done any Story mode, just Survival. Is that the mode to unlock other creatures? There isn't anything to play in Story on my game besides the tutorial, which I did and no further chapters unlocked.

I'm following the challenges in Survival, it always leads me to Shibuya Shops afger i do the marking, mating, etc. with the Pom and it's danger-close in that sector non-stop.

No, you unlock animals in Survival; as has been said you have to play other animals. You have to find more Archives in Survival to unlock more Story. Story doesn't seem to unlock anything (except more Archives in Survival) until you finish all of it.

Sometimes Shibuya Shops can be nasty, sometimes it's 100% Chicks. Just keep at it.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    MrPsycohed wrote: »
    One other note about co-op. After you mark a territory, the game only spawns a mate for one of the players. As far as I can tell, it seems to flip a coin on who gets to screw. I admit, I haven't done a ton of testing, but I wasn't able to discern a pattern. Sometimes one person would mate twice in a row, sometimes it would alternate. This had the unfortunate effect of making my co-op games constant mad dashes to not die of old age. Which, alas, didn't prove to be very fun.

One other problem we ran into was any time that P1 would bite or dash, the sudden jerk of the camera was very disorienting for P2. Not unplayable, of course, but certainly irksome.

Ultimately, I gave up on the multiplayer. Its a cool idea, but not being certain of who gets to mate and when just sucked all the fun out of it.

If you pick two different animals, whoever does the marking gets the mates.

If you pick the same animal, it will sometimes choose the person who didn't mark for mating, but at that point you can just have them sleep and it flips it over to you anyway.

Friend and I co-oped as cats into the 50s that way. Finally died because we got greedy killing Lions in the Yamanote line and a pack took us down in an epic 10 minute long chase and brawl.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Had a long ass fat cat run last night. How the hell can all these animals survive when everything is poison? Ran into an alligator while trying to make my love nest in Dogenzaka. Cockblocking son of a bitch. Took down a cow, had a feast, tried to take down a buffalo and ended up just running away. Let a tiger and some wolves duke it out on a rooftop while I ran past. Banged a couple of times with average mates, though once I bumped into a desperate mate and had to take a shower.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    God, even just reading the descriptions of people's runs is amazing.

Today I killed a lion with my beagle. He dropped a pair of moustache glasses.

This game is awesome.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Well, i was hoping to play this game sometime before i die but PSN is poop from a butt...

5 hours of downloading and I'm sitting at 30% :(

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm just gonna start making the thread title out of quotes from posts.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    My gazelle was being chased by a drove of pigs, but I ran past a bear and got away scot free. Similar thing with a bunch of big cats and bigger cats, but then I got poisoned to death. :(

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    This is just too cool.

Managed to make it 41 years and 4 generations with the pomeranian. 3rd gen prodeced two badass pups. Went to some territory owned by cats, and wrecked their shit. One of them died though... territory was mine but polluted and foodless. Fortunately i found a portable bed and was able to mate before dying. 4 awesome pups. We were trying to head back to the station... A combination of beagles, alligators, bears, tigers and i think a panther ended my lineage. :(

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.