As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: February's done, go to the new thread

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    On another completely different tangent, do we know how RAGE did?

I finally got around to trying the demo and really, really enjoyed it, but the price seemed to drop very quickly here, did it get lost in the Xmas crush? Fare better on PC?

First world problems, man, I actally have a backlog of demos I'm trying to work through!

Others mentioned the poor signs we've seen regarding Rage.

I just want to add to the list in that the launch of Rage on PC was a massive clusterfuck that probably cast it in a horrible light for its most crucial sales period.

I would also mention that Rage went on a huge discount on steam about 3 weeks after launch. I think it was $30 or $40.. it just seemed to me like some desperate attempt to squeeze some sales out of the game after they FINALLY cleaned up that horrible launch.

cloudeagle wrote:
    Remind me, are there games where you can play on one system and resume the same save on a different system yet?

Well you have the PC where you have cloud saving, and can pick up your game on a laptop / other pc, then continue on your desktop when you get home. If that counts. Sorta.

• Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    It really is too bad about how Rage ran at launch. I had enough games to play that I just dropped it and came back to it recently and I think it is an amazing game. So fun and just beautiful. I know some people think the graphics are a mixed bag but for me with the incredible art direction and animation it is just kind of the high water mark right now. I would so buy DLC for it in a heartbeat. Just another month or two of polish seems like it would have made all the difference. :(

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Wait people hate metacritic? What the fuck for, just because it's popular? Its a super helpful and informative site for reviews on stuff, I use it all the time.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Because the score isn't the important part of a review. Also, certain publishers punish developers whose game doesn't exceed a certain score (usually 80, I think).

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Allforce wrote:
    Wait people hate metacritic? What the fuck for, just because it's popular? Its a super helpful and informative site for reviews on stuff, I use it all the time.

People hate metacritic because there seems to be a lot of tards on the internet that think the "metascore" is the end-all, be-all indicator of exactly how good a game is - regardless of who reviewed it, how well reviewers did their jobs, who the game is designed to appeal to, etc etc. It is often cited as such in fanboy console warz and the like.

There are also a number of publishers that make important decisions about their studios based on how a metacritic number comes out. Some publishers' decisions on the outcome of some arbitrarily chosen score to "beat" have a huge impact on the studio.

Finally, Metacritic encourages people to ignore the meat of reviews to determine if the reviewers' perspective or opinion reflects their own, or if the reviewer had checked his facts, ignored important parts of games, played only small portions by which they judged the whole, etc. There is also the effect that the system is often deemed as having reviews that are "bought" by swag, exclusives, fancy exclusive parties, hookers, etc. Essentially the more money your publisher has, the more sway they have in affecting their metacritic score. If you're a small/tiny publisher or dev without said resources, appealing to a small hardcore following of some oddball niche genre, you often find yourself trashed by that arbitrary number representing how "good" your game is, regardless of how well your target audience enjoys/hates it.

I personally find metacritic useful as a tool to find reviews that I click on, and read. I don't care about the "metascore" so much as finding a slew of good reviews to read and consider from my own perspective. That's far more useful and effective at finding games I will like than just looking at a score.

slash000 on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I think rages biggest problem was that is was overhyped tbh. They were billing it as the greatest thing ever, free ranging openworld-ish, amazing graphics etc. then it turned out to be very linear, with terrible multiplayer, and service at best graphics. A game from a smaller studio can get away with that but with what's supposed to be a triple A title people go "meh" and move on.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Because the score isn't the important part of a review. Also, certain publishers punish developers whose game doesn't exceed a certain score (usually 80, I think).

dh509.png

Basically this is the view of the gaming industry and public.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    It has a use.

If you are unfamiliar with a reviewer, it doesn't matter if you read the entire text of the review or not, you will still be none the wiser with regard to their tastes and whether their complaints would sync with your own.

So sometimes, if you've heard conflicting reports on a game, or maybe seen a tantalizing trailer or something like that, you can hope on Metacritic and see at-a-glance a simple yes/no metric. An aggregated score has a function that a single score on its own does not.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Rage wasn't really on my radar because of Doom 3, but then it won a bunch of "best of show" awards at E3 2010 so I started looking into it again. I later learned it won those awards because people were apparently not that impressed with E3 2010 so it "won by default." and it dropped off my radar again. Didn't bother picking it up when it finally came out and the reviews pretty much said it was ultimately a bog-standard FPS.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    Does the crossplatform stuff on the Vita extend to actually being able to play multiplayer between the two systems?

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    The lump metascore given to fighting games I have always found to be completely ridiculous. It seems there are very, very few reviewers that know or care what makes the various fighting games appeal to the various fighting game fans. So often these days I see fighting game review scores ultimately to be based on how pretty the graphics are and how many useless shallow bonus modes come with the game.

• Options
    I use it like I use Amazon product reviews, I read the highest rated and the lowest rated reviews

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Also Metacritic is metascoring people now.

People.

edit: I guess that's not really fair. It's more like, here's a person and here's the aggregate metascore of all the projects they've been involved in.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Can't blame them, who would want to hang out with a 79?

• Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Metascore has its uses.

I can hop on and check a promising game and get a 'huh, 90 out of a hundred, might check into it' rather then pouring over a dozen reviews to see what they say in aggregate.

And a simple yes/no system isn't nearly as useful. A passable game could in aggregate get a really good score by being 'just good enough' (see some examples on rotten tomatoes), whereas a very good game which polarises some reviewers is going to be significantly devalued compared to its actual worth.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I use metacritic as a simple barometer of a game being complete crap. If I go to metacritic, and the metascore is 40, I can probably safely say it's a bad game. It's when it gets in to the 70+ range that you actually need to read the reviews. It's also a very simple way to link to reviews. Usually I'll scan the list of reviews for a site I recognize and trust, then read that full review.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I hate metacritic because it is used by publishers to decide what games / who to fund, and if you look at the helpful scale above, you can see that things are easily shot down. It's horse shit.

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote:

Aside from what others have said, in the case of reviews that don't use a scoring system, Metacritic will invent a score to attribute to that review, based on what they guess the reviewer would have scored the game.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote:
    Allforce wrote:

Aside from what others have said, in the case of reviews that don't use a scoring system, Metacritic will invent a score to attribute to that review, based on what they guess the reviewer would have scored the game.
    How do they handle converting different review types to the 100 point system? For example, in a 5 star review system, does 3 stars count as 60 or 80? If it's the former then that's another knock against them.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Since I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, Drew Karpyshyn has left Bioware after 12 years of working there in order to further pursue writing books.

If the name means nothing to you, he did design work on Baldur's Gate II, its expansion, and NWN1. He was also lead writer on KOTOR and the first two Mass Effect games, as well as a writer on Jade Empire.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    Opty wrote:
    gtrmp wrote:
    Allforce wrote:

How do they handle converting different review types to the 100 point system? For example, in a 5 star review system, does 3 stars count as 60 or 80? If it's the former then that's another knock against them.

A 3 star is a 60, and 4 is an 80 ect.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Apparently there's no substitute for the real Batman:
    It seems Gotham City Impostors might not have gone through quite the same ruthless training and disciplined regimen that Bruce Wayne did before he became Batman. An admin on the game's official forums recently posted about a potential glitch in the game that resets earned stats and unlocked content, and that thread has earned itself a whopping 63 pages of irate customers on both Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3. Just losing your stats in the game is a waste of time, but some of those customers bought and paid money for XP boosts and other items to help them level up, which means they're losing that money as well.

Another official forum post suggests that the problem arises when the trial version of the game is converted into the full version. We've contacted WBIE for more information on the glitch. If you're thinking about unlocking the full game or have a lot of stats saved up already, you might want to step gingerly until a fix is out.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/16/users-report-reset-glitch-in-gotham-city-impostors/

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    korodullin wrote:
    Since I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, Drew Karpyshyn has left Bioware after 12 years of working there in order to further pursue writing books.

If the name means nothing to you, he did design work on Baldur's Gate II, its expansion, and NWN1. He was also lead writer on KOTOR and the first two Mass Effect games, as well as a writer on Jade Empire.

I always pronounced his surname as Crap Shine because his actual name is straight out of the Star Wars legacy of Too-Many-Fucking-Ys.

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    slash000 wrote:
    The lump metascore given to fighting games I have always found to be completely ridiculous. It seems there are very, very few reviewers that know or care what makes the various fighting games appeal to the various fighting game fans. So often these days I see fighting game review scores ultimately to be based on how pretty the graphics are and how many useless shallow bonus modes come with the game.
    "Raphael is cheap cheap cheap as hell."

The 1UP vs IGN Soul Calibur 5 tournament was some of the worst Soul Calibur play I've ever seen. These "professional" reviewers can't handle depth very well, so they focus on the easier things to review. I just want them to stop commenting on depth in that case as they don't know what they're talking about.

This applies to other games with depth as well. The superior EA MMA was scored lower than the 9.0 UFC 3, which is suffering from a ton of issues including online not working properly, DLC glitches where fighters have 1 point in all stats, suddenly muted commentators, instant disconnects when grappling, freezes in OFFLINE play, and more.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Allforce wrote:

In short, people hate Metacritic because it is a useful tool that magnifies the annoying traits of people. That what all the reasons boil down to in the end, as many aren't really MetaCritic's fault. It provides a service some can use or misuse.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    slash000 wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Remind me, are there games where you can play on one system and resume the same save on a different system yet?

Well you have the PC where you have cloud saving, and can pick up your game on a laptop / other pc, then continue on your desktop when you get home. If that counts. Sorta.

There were a few games on the PSP that let you transfer saves between it and the PS2. I remember Outrun 2006 and some of the EA sports games.

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Megan Fox has a metascore of 38.

Based on that, I'd say metacritic is accurate in its judgement of all things :mrgreen:

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    Your mom has a metascore of 69.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    It seems Gotham City Impostors might not have gone through quite the same ruthless training and disciplined regimen that Bruce Wayne did before he became Batman. An admin on the game's official forums recently posted about a potential glitch in the game that resets earned stats and unlocked content, and that thread has earned itself a whopping 63 pages of irate customers on both Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3. Just losing your stats in the game is a waste of time, but some of those customers bought and paid money for XP boosts and other items to help them level up, which means they're losing that money as well.

Another official forum post suggests that the problem arises when the trial version of the game is converted into the full version. We've contacted WBIE for more information on the glitch. If you're thinking about unlocking the full game or have a lot of stats saved up already, you might want to step gingerly until a fix is out.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/16/users-report-reset-glitch-in-gotham-city-impostors/

This could possibly be why there was no option to download the trial when I wanted to check the game out on Saturday. I bought the game blindly because I am really stupid.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

This could possibly be why there was no option to download the trial when I wanted to check the game out on Saturday. I bought the game blindly because I am really stupid.

I think the game is pretty fun.

Apparently I am alone with these thoughts.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    GCI isn't awful, but I probably wouldn't have bought until it went on sale or something had I played the demo.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    Beltaine I hate your stupid gross avatar what is that?

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Looks like a really full gordita to me.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    I think its Haggis

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Vita: DPad is like the best DPad since Saturn/6-button Genesis, albit slightly small. :)

Sticks are convex, not concave. :(

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote:
    Your mom has a metascore of 69.

wyldstallyns.jpg

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    And so it begins.
    Veteran game designer Brian Fargo is using Kickstarter to raise cash for a Wasteland sequel.

1988 post-apocalyptic role-playing game Wasteland is considered by many to be one of the greatest western RPGs ever, and is the precursor to the Fallout series.

IP holder Fargo, now in charge of Hunted developer inXile, founded Interplay Productions, the studio behind Wasteland, A Bard's Tale and Fallout 1 and 2.

Now he wants your help to revive the game.

Wasteland 2 - or whatever it ends up being called - will be a top-down, isometric, party based RPG.

In a series of posts on Fargo's Twitter page, he emphasised his intention to create an old school experience fans of the first game will be happy with.

"I want fans to know that a new Wasteland would be complete old school vibe and made with input from gamers. Made the gamers way."

He added: "People forget that Wasteland was the precursor to Fallout. We made Fallout because we didn't have the Wasteland rights."

Fargo told IGN the Wasteland sequel will be a PC game first, then perhaps iOS (probably iPad) and other platforms.

The crucial question now is, how much does Fargo need to make Wasteland a reality?

The answer: $1 million. The Kickstarter call goes live next month.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-16-brian-fargo-using-kickstarter-for-wasteland-sequel

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Henroid wrote:
    I hate metacritic because it is used by publishers to decide what games / who to fund, and if you look at the helpful scale above, you can see that things are easily shot down. It's horse shit.
    As opposed to the old way where they just went off sales...

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    So how many failed kickstarts will have to occur before people realize that DoubleFine's success is not guaranteed?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    This is the age of the gamer funding the games and then still having to buy the game! :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
This discussion has been closed.